Kildare Forum

Kildare what changes for 2013 is needed.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Tir Conaill Abu
There are some good inderage players in the wings awaiting a shot at senior level. If McGeney stays I would like to see them getting a run. Also a very promising young player Paul Cribbin, has just returned from Australia after a two year stint with Collingswood. Best wishes in the All-Ireland final. A novel pairing and cracking game to look forward to.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2966 - 05/09/2012 18:15:44    1260139

Link

Mayo36363.

Mayo and Donegal being in the final should give tremendous hope to Kildare ahead of 2013 that they can emulate what these 2 teams have done , Mayo and Donegal may not be the best teams to win reach an All Ireland final but it just goes to show that with a lot of commitment , ambition and belief and a good man at the helm , a lot can be achieved .
I'm not sure what route Kildare should go down tactics wise , but something will have to change and I hope Geezer really has a good think over the Winter about how Kildare should setup for the coming year , the relatively short championship run that Kildare experienced this year should have renewed the hunger by the time January comes around .
I think its very important that both Hugh Lynch and Daryl Flynn have injury free 2013's as well as Callaghan , if its true about Cribben returning then he is a huge addition , one thing I do think Kildare need to do is deploy a sweeper , Morgan O'Flaherty would be the ideal man to fill that role , Smith and Johnston playing off O'Connor is also an exiting prospect , Foley at full back and Gary White or perhaps a bit of a curve ball here , Padraig O'Neill to be given a chance in the cntre back role

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 05/09/2012 20:07:29    1260217

Link

stekhli, it's true allright about Paul Cribben coming back. His father told me last week. He will play for his club Johnstownbridge in the Intermediate semi-final as they try to make it back to the senior grade having been out of it for about 5 or 6 years.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2966 - 06/09/2012 14:58:38    1260784

Link

Bemused by some of the talk of change and fresh blood---Cribbin, Moolick, Fogarty etc its a massive step up and they have years to go to get to the level required--are people expecting miracles from these young lads---suppose we draw dublin in the first round, anyone seriously think these young lads will be the difference? A half fit JD would make the team ahead of them, why, he's more likely to score.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 07/09/2012 08:44:17    1261252

Link

stekhli, mayo and donegal have scoring fwds---not sure i get a lot of hope from them making it, where will the scores come from--until we get a forward to beat his man, turn and score from 40 yards, we are unlikely to make it against the better teams.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 07/09/2012 09:44:41    1261301

Link

We can't draw Dublin in first round.

You never know what a forward can do until you throw him in there.

sedico (Kildare) - Posts: 1682 - 07/09/2012 10:21:25    1261339

Link

Lynch, Buckley,Ryan and Rainbow are played for Kildare as teenagers and were not out of their depth, indeed all won All Stars later in their careers. You will never know if they are good enough until you try them and give them enough time to find their feet at senior level. Fogarty did not look out of place in the league final did he?

murof (Kildare) - Posts: 480 - 07/09/2012 10:38:09    1261357

Link

I'd have Hurley, Cribbin or Moolick midfield ahead of Foley or Kelly. After all these 3 lads are natural ball winners at midfield and have played there for the clubs throughout their careers to date. Foley is a full back and Kelly well I don't know what he is, he neither has the engine or mobility to play midfield.

I think Morgan deployed as a sweeper, with a proper centre back in place would work very well. Somebody like Gary White or Bolton would work. I also think Conway is most effective coming from deep (2009). All the other top teams have a play maker deployed from deep like Lacey for Donegal, Harte for Tyrone (In the league), Brosnan for Kerry, Kevin Nolan for Dublin and I've also noticed how deep Alan Dillon receives the ball for Mayo. Out of all those players in terms of passing Mikey is right up there.

I think i'd go with Bolton at 6, Mikey at 7, Morgan at 12 but being brought back as sweeper. One of the three young lads should be given at a chance at midfield for the league.

cilldara13 (Kildare) - Posts: 261 - 07/09/2012 15:28:39    1261689

Link

Almost agree with the last post in that I think we need a stronger, more physical centre back to shore up the middle and I also would have Morgan on the team as a sweeper playing from 12. Cribben looked a great prospect at minor and I'd like to see him tried in the forwards as he was excellent there for the minors. I would like to see Paudie O'Neill at CB and to largely hold that position with Bolton and either Lyons or Conway either side of him with license to go forward. I'd like to see Flynn and Lynch get a proper run at Mid as they were developing nicely, but we need to groom a young up and coming midfielder also as most teams seem to replace a Mid when they tyre. This could be Moolick, Hurley, E Doyle or Chalky.
I'd have a Leper at 10 and Cribben at 11 with an inside line of Smith, Fogarty and Johnston. We'd then have good forward options off the bench with Tomas as a true Plan B, Doyle, Dowling, Kavanagh and Flats junior.

Team would be:

Connolly
Kelly Foley McGrillen
M. O'Flaherty
Bolton O'Neill Conway
Flynn Lynch
Callaghan Cribben
Smith
Fogarty Johnston

Subs: Eyres, Lyons, E.Doyle, White,
Moolick, Hurley, JD, Kavanagh, O'Connor,
Dowling, E.O'Flaherty, R Kelly

Crofter (Kildare) - Posts: 46 - 08/09/2012 14:00:47    1262056

Link

So Geezer stays......... yet a revolution is still needed...i'm not sure McGeeney will alter too much. He attributes our poor level of performance this year to consistency. That is a fair argument. And i agree with him to a certain extent. However, even when we were at our peak in 2009 & 2010 & 2011 we weren't good enough. That's why I reckon we need a revolution within the squad. This is what I'd do.

1) Thank Dermot Earley for everything he has done and tell him he won't be a part of the squad in 2013. Man Up Geezer. I'm afraid Dermot is not capable of his past glory days.
2) Inform Johnny Doyle that he will still be needed but on a more frequented basis....ie. last 20 mins of games.
3) Get rid of the dead wood that has for far too long settled in this Kildare squad. First let me give my appreciation to these players who have for many years worked to the bone for Kildare GAA, endless nights of training, huge sacrafice etc, but now is the time to say good luck. Ronan Sweeney, Paudie O'Neill, Andrew Mc, Damo Hendy, Ken Donnelly.
4) Get Seanie Johnston fit. Start Seanie Johnston. If he isn't up to it then kindly tell him so and leave him on the bench or off the squad. Don't make a huge uproar over a lad, and give him a few mins here and there. If ya not sure about a lad, then play him. If he aint up to scratch, say good luck. Nothing to lose.
5) Time to rethink the youth being brought through.... for me Fionn Dowling still aint ready. Eoin Doyle wasn't ready either. How these lads have been given chances when the youth of Athy have blazed a way of glory through Kildare is beyond me. What about giving the likes of Cian Reynolds, James Eaton or Liam McGovern a go? Why was it these lads?
6) BIGGEST ISSUE - we need to find natural midfielders. Aidan O'Shea and Barry Moran for Mayo last week showed how important midfield is. Lads on this site have been barking and giving out about our forward line. It ain't our forwards who let us down. It's our midfield. We can't win a bloody ball. Kevin Feeley is now gone so Geezer missed boat. I'm not sure where to look but what about Mark Waters or even Higgins from Naas. They are definitely better than Rob Kelly.
Our forwards didnt really get a sniff of the ball in the 2nd half against Cork. Twas down to midfield and poor defence.
7) Defence - for Geezer this must be the most disheartening thing of all. We need to find a dominant centre-back. Michael Foley could easily command the square. Not sure Hugh McGrillen is answer. For Me, Morgan, Emmett and Mick Foley would stay, Ollie Lyons too if he was moved to wing back. Peter Kelly needs time to get back to what we seen in 2010.
8) Attack. - O'Connor needs to be used better, we either use him too much where it gets predictable or too little where he is isolated. Time for a change on that front. Prob need to inject more pace into forward line too. Smith had great year. Leper hopefully will be back. We need another player in leper mode who will barge through the middle of teams. I believe we have the forwards but right now it's getting possession and being able to stop opposition teams from scoring against us where my biggest grievance is.
9) Geezer needs help. He is tactically inept. For 5 years I have watched him struggle to adapt to what is happening on the pitch. He is a leader, a fine manager of players but he lacks the tactical awareness that will land a Delaney or Sam Maguire Cup. He needs a few lessons off McGuinness, Counihan or Mickey Harte. These managers have got it wrong in past too but they more than often get the tactics spot on.

yearofthelily (Kildare) - Posts: 279 - 08/09/2012 16:53:13    1262129

Link

yearofthelily
Some good points there. Damien Hendy and Ken Donnolly are no longer part of the Kildare panel.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2966 - 09/09/2012 13:45:27    1262410

Link

The panel will be stronger next year. The loss of Callaghan this year cannot be understated, he's a great man for breaks, work rate and vital scores. Keith Cribbin will likely add to things as will a fully fit Darryl Flynn who was hampered by injury throughout championship, Hugh Lynch, a fully fit Seanie and the emergence of Daniel Flynn, Fogarty, Dowling and Eoin Doyle. I think we could use someone more direct in the forwards that takes defenders on like a Paul Kerrigan, Declan O'Sullivan or even the way MDM does for Dublin. Also dont see why people would like to see Ollie Lyons moved to wing back, he was our best man marker this year and he concedes less scores than any back on the team. I think McGrillen should be moved out the field to make the most out of his engine

Bigwilly (Kildare) - Posts: 136 - 10/09/2012 14:33:56    1263264

Link

1. Connolly

2. Lyons 3. Foley 4. McGrillen

10. M.O'Flaherty

5. Doyle 6. Bolton 7. Conway

8. Flynn 9. Lynch

11. Callaghan 12. P.Cribbin

13. E.O'Flaherty

14. Smith 15. Johnson

Peter Kelly, Ciaran Fitzpatrick, Daniel Flynn, Gary White, Sean Hurley, Tomas Moolick, Padraig Fogarty very unlucky and of course Johnny Doyle and Dermot Earley to have minor roles.

cilldara13 (Kildare) - Posts: 261 - 12/09/2012 15:01:31    1264906

Link

Here is a radical idea, i think when there is no national league games @ the weekend players should be released to play for there clubs, this would mean better club games more competitive games, bigger crowds @ games, surely playing club games would be better than a collective training session, players should be allowed play club games up to a couple of weeks before inter county championship, this would make d club seen stronger which would benefit d county team in d long run

devilred (Kildare) - Posts: 96 - 12/09/2012 18:04:21    1265124

Link

delivered you might have something there wouldnt it help players stay match fit and give them more ball skills time so maybe the kicking might be more accurate we at time are very off the mark when it come to ball skills and kicking

lillymadfan (Kildare) - Posts: 1085 - 13/09/2012 12:54:47    1265551

Link

There seems to be a perception out there that Kildare never use a ball in training and spend their time lifting weights and running around hawkfield , this simply is not the case however the players should spend more time with the clubs

lillyboy (Kildare) - Posts: 426 - 13/09/2012 16:16:15    1265742

Link

A club mate of mine is on d kildare panel, he played 5 games in league for kildare but got no championship for kildare, our club played 15 league games he played 1 and played in our 3 championship games this is a joke

devilred (Kildare) - Posts: 96 - 13/09/2012 17:46:16    1265789

Link

Ye're giving up on Dermot Earley too quickly, lads

He wasn't over that injury until very late this year. With a proper pre-season he can be his old self for at least 30 mins next summer

Count_Awesome (Kildare) - Posts: 736 - 21/09/2012 11:11:00    1270027

Link

agree count_awesome I think dermot may still be there come 2013 thats if he can stay injury free there is 20 to 30 minutes in him and I feel he may be a good settling in master for new lads if any added to panel for 2013 he didnt recover enough to be a big part this year and it would have been too risky to have played him too long in games so maybe with another bit of time he will be able for the impact sub role, will be interesting to see what happens for league any new faces etc im sure McGeeney will be out to surely make a mark this season time surely wont be on his side after this term if nothing is produced. look forward to the coming league etc will be a chance to see whats happening and im sure loads of scope for discussion here on the forum.

lillymadfan (Kildare) - Posts: 1085 - 30/09/2012 13:54:55    1275057

Link

cilldara13
County: Kildare

I'd have Hurley, Cribbin or Moolick midfield ahead of Foley or Kelly. After all these 3 lads are natural ball winners at midfield and have played there for the clubs throughout their careers to date. Foley is a full back and Kelly well I don't know what he is, he neither has the engine or mobility to play midfield.

I think Morgan deployed as a sweeper, with a proper centre back in place would work very well. Somebody like Gary White or Bolton would work. I also think Conway is most effective coming from deep (2009). All the other top teams have a play maker deployed from deep like Lacey for Donegal, Harte for Tyrone (In the league), Brosnan for Kerry, Kevin Nolan for Dublin and I've also noticed how deep Alan Dillon receives the ball for Mayo. Out of all those players in terms of passing Mikey is right up there.

I think i'd go with Bolton at 6, Mikey at 7, Morgan at 12 but being brought back as sweeper. One of the three young lads should be given at a chance at midfield for the league.

Thought might be worth revisiting this thread to see if our outlooks have improved since last september. Have to say, cilldara13 you were on the money with Hurley and Cribben as options. I would like to think we have a chance of sorting out midfield and Kelly and Brophy are real contenders for forwards. Daniel Flynn is
a fantastic addition to the seniors.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1613 - 25/04/2013 16:53:22    1373774

Link