Kildare Forum

Kildare what changes for 2013 is needed.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

McGeeney is staying on as manager some seem to think changes is needed in personnel on the panel, are changes needed in team management is their someone that should be there that isnt at the minute that will give something extra to the thought process behind the panel thats picked or that knows what players stand out in the county that should get a go at the senior panel for 2013.should that process not be already starting to happen the year doesnt be that long coming around.

who wont be there next year panel wise due to retirnment

who should be dropped from panel

who should get the opportunity to play.

surely lads its time to start answering those questions if serious change is to happen.

lillymadfan (Kildare) - Posts: 1085 - 27/08/2012 10:59:25    1252736

Link

If McGEENEY is staying he should be allowed pick his own backroom team , imposing someone on him just wouldn't work. Re the players I'd expect pressure to come for a smaller squad to be ran next year and you'd imagine that most of the club championship matches are scouted with a view to unearthing new talent, its the perfect scenario to measure the possibles against those already in place in real match situations

lillyboy (Kildare) - Posts: 426 - 27/08/2012 11:25:01    1252768

Link

agree lillyboy he should be allowed pick the backroom team that he has to work with. Im hoping that all clubs are looked at through out the club championship their is some talent out there. being in Div 1 of league is an opportunity to get young lads in the squad to play. we should be seeing more of Fogarty Dowling and others through out league not just 10 minutes here and there as subs. will be interesting to see what is done in the coming months.

lillymadfan (Kildare) - Posts: 1085 - 27/08/2012 14:39:47    1253075

Link

doubt you'll see a whole lot of change, this is the best team we've had in 12 years -we won't win silverware and have pretty much reached our peak but the forwards are not in the county to take us to the next level, consolidation or backwards. Backwards if mcgeeny leaves, hard to beat with some good days out if he stays in 2013. if the fans managed their expectations a bit better and recognised that this is probably the best level the majority of managers could hope to achieve i think we would all be better for it.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 31/08/2012 14:24:11    1256232

Link

Lads surely there are a few good forwards somewhere in the county that haven't been given a chance, there has to be.

ClassApart (Meath) - Posts: 1200 - 31/08/2012 14:34:10    1256246

Link

not really, the leap from club to inter county level is massive, you could see a lad chipping points for fun in a club game but throw him to croker against donegal!!the step up is massive. Athy are county champions but no forward there is likely to take the place of the current crop.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 31/08/2012 14:57:13    1256274

Link

What about young moolick from the great club of leixlip?

brianfitzsimons (Kildare) - Posts: 223 - 31/08/2012 15:09:16    1256292

Link

Class apart, there are no undiscovered gems in Kildare. If there was a forward he'd stick out a mile in the mediocrity that is our club championships.

Daith (Kildare) - Posts: 1101 - 31/08/2012 15:25:31    1256305

Link

I agree with switec and daith to some extent.three years ago JD was one of the highest scorers in the country and E FLats looked promising with plenty of scores from play.Neither was afraid to have a shot.young Fogarty showed he had no fear against Tyrone and looked promising.The first few games Dowling played he shot from any angle. I think there s too much fear and reluctance to shoot and it has to be something wrong with roles and systems.Modern game or not I think a forwards primary role had to be focussed on scoring.I also think there s a number of good forwards on u21 and minor not afraid to have a go.Just hope that if they do break through their open style is not smothered too.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1613 - 31/08/2012 17:12:35    1256427

Link

lillymadfan... more than likely dermot earley will retire unless he has a massive turnaround, i can see him staying involved with the squad however.. johnny doyle is giving it one last year.

I dont think anyone will be dropped from the panel unless they just walk away from it. there are rumours the sweeney and gary white have walked away but i havent heard anything to back it up. Personnally i think that conway needs to be dropped from the first 15 unless he is going to be moved back to wing back where he had a great year in 2009.

i would hope that gary white would get a run of games at centre back.. i can still see in my head from the cork match aidan walsh running from his own 45 straight through the middle of kildares defence where he probabley should have scored a goal. i have nothing against morgan o flaherty but i just think that we need a big physical presence at no.6.. remember in 1998, glenn ryan was at no.6 and very few teams ran through the middle, same with cork nowadays with graham canty, dublin with ger brennan and kerry with eoin brosnan..

i also think the style of play needs to be altered back to when we were moving the ball at pace with footpasses.. this long high ball stuff into o connor just isn't working.. i'd play seanie johnston at no.14 in close to the goal and give him a run of games to prove how good he is, he cant do that with little 10 minute cameos..

i agree with one of the previous posts that say we will be hard to beat and we'll have a few good days but no silverware come the end of 2013 unless change happens.

cilldara14 (Kildare) - Posts: 254 - 02/09/2012 12:25:38    1257145

Link

Im afraid a couple of big names have to prove themselves all over again for me to give them my support
I was not impressed with either Eoghan OFlarthy or Mikey Conway you just cant leave it on the side line come the big day.
You just cant leave any scoring chances not taken our pair would want to study Ciaran O'Connor performance for Mayo today v Dubs.

Is Hugh Lynch fully fit yet?

AreWeHuman (Kildare) - Posts: 242 - 02/09/2012 18:13:57    1257431

Link

Tom O'Connor is a serious asset with good forwards around him....not sure we have them to get his full value....agreed on EOF and Conway. Personally I dont think Conway is upto this level.

rudolf (Kildare) - Posts: 64 - 02/09/2012 20:35:07    1257585

Link

Daith
County: Kildare

Class apart, there are no undiscovered gems in Kildare. If there was a forward he'd stick out a mile in the mediocrity that is our club championships.

very unfair and misleading comment daith. standard of club footballl in kildare is arguably the best in Leinster outside of Dublin. Perhaps you should attend a few club games every now and again instead of comin on here and being your negative self.

sashman (Kildare) - Posts: 465 - 02/09/2012 21:12:40    1257641

Link

we have gone back a bit so a run in the qualifiers awaits us again im afraid, dubs to win leinster in a canter next year, hard to see meath or kildare challenging them--but its another year and let it roll on!

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 03/09/2012 13:01:21    1258039

Link

im hearing a lot from those who spend time around the squad that a lot of emphasis is put on the conditioning and the gym and that at times the team never trains with an actual football. being big and bulky is great but not kicking a ball for weeks on end could be a lot of the problem in the forward line.surely there is a kicking coach with the team that must put them through their paces at training on regular basis.

lillymadfan (Kildare) - Posts: 1085 - 03/09/2012 13:11:44    1258059

Link

ive seen it all kildare want a coach to show grown men how to kick a football ,what will yee come up with next

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1198 - 04/09/2012 12:38:31    1258877

Link

mickcunningham
County: Westmeath

1258877 ive seen it all kildare want a coach to show grown men how to kick a football ,what will yee come up with next

Alright Mick how are things? If ye had of come up with that strategy in 2003 when Dessie missed a twenty metre free against Meath ye might have won.

sedico (Kildare) - Posts: 1682 - 04/09/2012 13:08:49    1258927

Link

mickcunningham
County: Westmeath

ive seen it all kildare want a coach to show grown men how to kick a football ,what will yee come up with next

The next logical step would be getting in a coach to show grown men how to catch a football.

If you know anybody with experience in that are then please send them this way.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3640 - 04/09/2012 13:17:25    1258942

Link

well if teams are spending more time in the gym and less on the pitch they will alll need every advantage that is possible.I seen pat spillane on a tv programme a few years back working with teams on kicking free's etc so its not the big laugh that some see it as if its whats needed sure they might as well get them in its an amateur sport but were sick listening to the profeeional aspect of it lately

lillymadfan (Kildare) - Posts: 1085 - 04/09/2012 15:05:58    1259096

Link

Well lads,
All this talk about using the ball at training is correct. In the current game every player needs to be comfortable on the ball with good ball skills no matter if they are corner back or corner forward. the pundits are always going on about the strength and conditioning of the Donegal team and that they must be doing nothing but that but the reality is quite different. Most of the strength and conditioning of the current squad is done in the early months of the year and when championship times comes it's mostly done away from the training ground.
I was disappointed to see yous regress this year as yous have been improving every year and couldn't believe how yous threw in the towel against Cork. My question as an outsider looking in is - Is there any talent in the U21's that would supplement this team or are we likely to see the same panel next year?

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1571 - 05/09/2012 14:19:14    1259863

Link