Galway Forum

Kevin Walsh Has Stepped Down

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Firstly like to say thanks to KW for being one of the better managers in the way he has made us a competitive team in division 1 massive amount to be said in that alone. I think everyone will agree that his style of play wasn't the most appealing to say the least but nonetheless he advanced us as a team.

Now who is the favourite to replace him ? Will Galway do any good with someone outside of the county do we need to look at our underage managers and see how they go at the highest level.

PineappleExpres (Galway) - Posts: 18 - 03/09/2019 13:06:24    2232365

Link

Told ye he would b gone this week. Good luck to him in future. Good player, steadied the ship when he came in as manager as we were at a very low ebb back then.

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 442 - 03/09/2019 14:29:32    2232404

Link

I loved the way his teams played & won. Tactically he brought in a discipline & professional approach that lead the team to be more confident. Those lads have grown massively. He leaves Galway football in a very exciting place. Thanks Kevin.

OhReally (Limerick) - Posts: 2 - 03/09/2019 15:38:53    2232441

Link

He brought us on massively. I wish him the best of luck and thank him for his service. I'll fully get behind the new manager whoever that may be

Galway4sam!

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1070 - 03/09/2019 15:44:03    2232445

Link

Thanks Kevin for past 5 years. A high pressure job which demands a lot of sacrifice and courage to take on both from himself and his family. You owe Galway football nothing. Biggest positive of his term was the amount of young players he brought through.
Myself and others were critical of his style of play which I don't think is unfair and comes with the territory.
A fresh face should bring a new lease of life to the team and I would be sure a lot of the players are exited to see who new manager will be and probably not that disappointed that there may be a possibility of getting away from defensive football which doesn't suit Walsh, Comer, Burke, Daly and the likes. You need to get fast ball to those guys and we have been far too lethargic.
Would Liam Kearns be worth approaching? A Kerry man with very good experience of previously managing inter county teams. I don't think he has found a team since resigning from Tipp? I am sure he has built up a lot of contacts over the years in terms of S&C and high performance coaches. Divilly and PJ would be good selectors to join him.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 136 - 03/09/2019 15:45:10    2232447

Link

Delighted he has gone. Onwards and upwards.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 450 - 03/09/2019 15:50:12    2232451

Link

Best of luck to Kevin and thanks for an honest and very strong effort with Galway. I have criticized the style of play but granted it was a case of needs must and we badly needed to learn to defend 5 years ago. Agree wholeheartedly that KW owes Galway football nothing - hats off. Now looking forward to new ideas, impetus and attack minded management. Strong hints of Rochford and Morris - which I think could be very positive.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 185 - 03/09/2019 16:01:31    2232456

Link

BEST NEWS EVER

zidane (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 03/09/2019 16:15:45    2232461

Link

Thanks to Kevin and his team for some great memories.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1717 - 03/09/2019 16:46:52    2232468

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Thanks Kevin for past 5 years. A high pressure job which demands a lot of sacrifice and courage to take on both from himself and his family. You owe Galway football nothing. Biggest positive of his term was the amount of young players he brought through.
Myself and others were critical of his style of play which I don't think is unfair and comes with the territory.
A fresh face should bring a new lease of life to the team and I would be sure a lot of the players are exited to see who new manager will be and probably not that disappointed that there may be a possibility of getting away from defensive football which doesn't suit Walsh, Comer, Burke, Daly and the likes. You need to get fast ball to those guys and we have been far too lethargic.
Would Liam Kearns be worth approaching? A Kerry man with very good experience of previously managing inter county teams. I don't think he has found a team since resigning from Tipp? I am sure he has built up a lot of contacts over the years in terms of S&C and high performance coaches. Divilly and PJ would be good selectors to join him."
He brought in young players because he went to every game he could . I saw him at intermediate and senior games all the time. I hope the same from the new manager just a big ask of the manager is from outside the county

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1070 - 03/09/2019 17:16:27    2232476

Link

Some of you supporters might not agree but i think did alright with Galway. Back winning Connacht titles (hadn't won one since 2008) and back in Div 1 (relegated in 2011 and spent a number of years there)

Football Galway played at times wasn't pretty under Walsh but he brought a hard edge to their play that was missing for year and Galway under other managers tried to play more attacking and ended up getting well beaten by top sides or lost to teams that Galway should never be losing too (Wexford,Antrim)

Who is the likely replacement now? Our county board was mad keen to get Aidan O'Rourke i doubt your county board will be scraping the barrel like that!

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2615 - 03/09/2019 17:43:30    2232487

Link

Always respected KW as a player he was a hero to me. As a manager beating Mayo yep, at first he got us winning which was excellent but I felt football was moving to puke football. I want to go and watch Galway play attractive football.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 300 - 03/09/2019 17:55:04    2232492

Link

One thing I really credit Kevin with is getting rid of the notions that a lot of the players had or at least perceived notions. They weren't winning anything but walking around like they were the big I am becaus they played for galway living of the achievements of previous teams. I thought that started to creep in again this year hopefully I'm wrong or at least the new manager wont allow

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1070 - 03/09/2019 17:58:15    2232496

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "He brought in young players because he went to every game he could . I saw him at intermediate and senior games all the time. I hope the same from the new manager just a big ask of the manager is from outside the county"
That's where the selectors step in.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 334 - 03/09/2019 18:12:04    2232500

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "One thing I really credit Kevin with is getting rid of the notions that a lot of the players had or at least perceived notions. They weren't winning anything but walking around like they were the big I am becaus they played for galway living of the achievements of previous teams. I thought that started to creep in again this year hopefully I'm wrong or at least the new manager wont allow"
I've heard the same, granted completely anecdotally, of a return of this cockiness with nothing to back it up.

Thank you KW for bringing Galway football back from the brink. Leaving now was the right decision I believe, but shouldn't tarnish the excellent progress the team has had under him.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2781 - 03/09/2019 20:01:21    2232537

Link

We were a laughing stock/joke of a team before Kevin. We should never forget that. He made us a serious outfit again. I think he has laid solid foundations for whoever comes next. Saying all that, he has made the right decision now. 5 years is enough for anyone and I think he has brought us as far as he could. Thanks Kevin for everything.

Replacement wise we need to be careful. Someone that knows Galway football. We need to address the style of play also because the fans won't follow the negative stuff. All you had to do was see the crowd that went to last u20 game. Galway fans want a team to follow and a style to be proud of.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1070 - 03/09/2019 21:37:24    2232558

Link

Thanks Kevin, Galway had some great days under your watch

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1312 - 03/09/2019 21:39:01    2232561

Link

Thanks Kevin Walsh, you were the best manager from Galway in decades.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 986 - 03/09/2019 21:43:19    2232564

Link

Great progress from Kevin
Favourite days for me include:
2015 v Armagh and Derry
2016 v Mayo ( best against the head result), Connacht final win
2017 promotion from div 2, first win in croker since 2001, beating Mayo again, Donegal win in sligo
2018, beating Kerry in league and championship for the first time in donkeys years, Dublin league match in Pearse, beating Mayo again, beating Kildare to qualify from the super eights, first championship win in croker since 2001
2019 league wins over Monaghan and Mayo when the squad was badly depleted
Thanks to Kevin for sure

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 208 - 03/09/2019 22:52:16    2232590

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "Thanks Kevin Walsh, you were the best manager from Galway in decades."
In a decade for sure. He took over 10 years after John O'Mahoney.
Kevin achieved a lot on his time and will rightly be thanked for the excellent service he gave us manager. He's a legend of Galway football for his work inside and outside the white lines.
I've said before that I thought the time was right for a change. There is potential in this county, with a lot of promising young players, but there aren't too many managerial candidates right now that stand out.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 626 - 04/09/2019 00:14:58    2232599

Link