Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "I think MD finished his term while KW has a year left?"
No both have 1 year left

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 236 - 21/08/2019 13:23:34    2228199

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "That's not the point though.
KW can walk anytime he wants and MD was actually expected to stay on by the County Board even if his term was up. I don't think MD was under any pressure to leave unless he wished to do so."
I'm sure KW is very pensive this morning

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1280 - 21/08/2019 13:25:03    2228203

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "True but KW wants to walk away after a better season than this one and I would give him the final shot at it. He bet London (luckily) and Sligo, wow. MD made up his own mind and FairPlay to him. Both men deserve respect. County board are in a bit of a spot to replace MD as we may end up with a weaker manager. Who would be available if big Kev stepped down?"
Not the point, Kevin has had 5 years. The players are there. The big question is if Kevin get another year what will it do to player morale, not to mention supporters unhappiness.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 162 - 21/08/2019 13:47:14    2228216

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "I'm sure KW is very pensive this morning"
Perhaps he should be pensive and if not he should certainly be embarrassed!

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 21/08/2019 14:09:08    2228227

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "Perhaps he should be pensive and if not he should certainly be embarrassed!"
KW is holding fast. Nobody in our county board or football committee seem to want to have a word with him about it. Bar a couple of recent additions to those boards, it's the same old faces for what seems like forever. Football board - John Joe Holleran, Seamus O'Grady, Milo Costello - what's their plan? What's their strategy for bringing Galway back to the summit? What's their target date for the next senior All Ireland? Well I'll wager there's no plan, no strategy, no ambition, just get looked after and the turkey and ham for the dinner after the match, and pat a few lads on the back. We'll win Zero with our antiquated system and stale leadership at Board level. Crying out for a shake up.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 21/08/2019 15:08:12    2228247

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "KW is holding fast. Nobody in our county board or football committee seem to want to have a word with him about it. Bar a couple of recent additions to those boards, it's the same old faces for what seems like forever. Football board - John Joe Holleran, Seamus O'Grady, Milo Costello - what's their plan? What's their strategy for bringing Galway back to the summit? What's their target date for the next senior All Ireland? Well I'll wager there's no plan, no strategy, no ambition, just get looked after and the turkey and ham for the dinner after the match, and pat a few lads on the back. We'll win Zero with our antiquated system and stale leadership at Board level. Crying out for a shake up."
I'd say you'd want to read up on who is on the current football committee before throwing out loose allegations.
you might be correct but naming names some of whom aren't on the football committee anymore is unfair .
Seamus O'Grady is county secretary for the full board and John Joe Holleran is connacht council delegate.Not sure if Milo is involved at board level any more.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 339 - 21/08/2019 16:07:01    2228279

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "True but KW wants to walk away after a better season than this one and I would give him the final shot at it. He bet London (luckily) and Sligo, wow. MD made up his own mind and FairPlay to him. Both men deserve respect. County board are in a bit of a spot to replace MD as we may end up with a weaker manager. Who would be available if big Kev stepped down?"
MD had his mind made up last season he was giving it one last shot as kieran donaghy said. There are a lot of options to replace him from underage and other counties. The cunningham team had regressed and MD has not found any new players.

KW is possibly pointing at the injurys this season as to why we regressed. There are also no obvious alternatives if there was i think he would be gone

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 21/08/2019 16:10:57    2228281

Link

I don't know how KW stayed on after the year we had. The team lost all the momentum they had gained in the previous years and slipped very badly backwards this year. He'd be doing well to match where we were two years ago, never mind actually improve on it. And now with MD resigning, the pressure is only growing. He's in for a very tough year.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2747 - 21/08/2019 16:26:48    2228290

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "KW is holding fast. Nobody in our county board or football committee seem to want to have a word with him about it. Bar a couple of recent additions to those boards, it's the same old faces for what seems like forever. Football board - John Joe Holleran, Seamus O'Grady, Milo Costello - what's their plan? What's their strategy for bringing Galway back to the summit? What's their target date for the next senior All Ireland? Well I'll wager there's no plan, no strategy, no ambition, just get looked after and the turkey and ham for the dinner after the match, and pat a few lads on the back. We'll win Zero with our antiquated system and stale leadership at Board level. Crying out for a shake up."
Sadly all true I'd say!

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 21/08/2019 17:31:23    2228310

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Not the point, Kevin has had 5 years. The players are there. The big question is if Kevin get another year what will it do to player morale, not to mention supporters unhappiness."
I've heard that a significant number of the more established players (lads who would definitely be in our starting 15) went to Kevin seeking that he would stay on.

Connemaraman (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 21/08/2019 20:07:40    2228349

Link

Replying To Connemaraman:  "I've heard that a significant number of the more established players (lads who would definitely be in our starting 15) went to Kevin seeking that he would stay on."
I seriously doubt that happened. Who went to him asking him to stay on?! Names or it's a KW camp story

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 21/08/2019 21:10:39    2228364

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "I seriously doubt that happened. Who went to him asking him to stay on?! Names or it's a KW camp story"
I seriously doubt this story also. I know and have herd first hand several of the younger players involved who definitely wouldn't be makin that trip.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 162 - 21/08/2019 22:32:08    2228383

Link

Replying To Connemaraman:  "I've heard that a significant number of the more established players (lads who would definitely be in our starting 15) went to Kevin seeking that he would stay on."
I've heard that from a good source also. He is staying 100%. Will change back room .

galway4life (Galway) - Posts: 162 - 21/08/2019 23:48:18    2228405

Link

Could be they're suffering from "incarceration syndrome".

You know, where over time, prisoners become so used to, and dependent on, the system, they lack the confidence to move on...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 331 - 22/08/2019 00:25:46    2228408

Link

ok kevins staying so
the no 1 need is for top class coach
and selectors who are not yes men
the strength and conditioning needs looking at
far too many injurys happening to too many players

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1047 - 22/08/2019 12:17:16    2228488

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "ok kevins staying so
far too many injurys happening to too many players"
No problem with Kevin staying on, apparently the players have good time for him.

But I agree with you on top coach, selectors and top s&c. Too many injuries and few lads carrying a few pounds. That is not good enough at intercounty.

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 236 - 22/08/2019 14:47:50    2228544

Link

Replying To Really:  "Could be they're suffering from "incarceration syndrome".

You know, where over time, prisoners become so used to, and dependent on, the system, they lack the confidence to move on..."
Or it could be the more established players were around before kevin came on board and they remember where galway football used to be

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 977 - 22/08/2019 17:11:04    2228567

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Or it could be the more established players were around before kevin came on board and they remember where galway football used to be"
My personal opinion is if Kevin stays its another year wasted. The manager should have the insight to se after 5 years it's not working. Nobody will change my mind on this. At this stage the County board need to stand up and be counted. I hope it's not a case of if we win a few games and the odd Connacht final that will keep fans happy. Before anyone goes on the attack remember this is the future of galway football we're talking about, don't make it out to be a personal attack on a manager.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 162 - 22/08/2019 21:03:12    2228628

Link

Replying To Toman:  "My personal opinion is if Kevin stays its another year wasted. The manager should have the insight to se after 5 years it's not working. Nobody will change my mind on this. At this stage the County board need to stand up and be counted. I hope it's not a case of if we win a few games and the odd Connacht final that will keep fans happy. Before anyone goes on the attack remember this is the future of galway football we're talking about, don't make it out to be a personal attack on a manager."
Ok Tommy who would you let take over?

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 22/08/2019 22:19:38    2228652

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "ok kevins staying so
far too many injurys happening to too many players"
Sorry but a lot of the injures happened outside of the county setup.

Are you suggesting that the current S&C setup in the county has players overtrained thus leaving them more prone to injury while training/playing with their club?

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 23/08/2019 11:15:45    2228723

Link