Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To johnjoe21:  "The level of negativity towards Kevin and the team generally is way out of line in my opinion. There seems to be a perception amongst some supporters that there's an All Ireland ready to be won with the players we have, all that's needed is for the shackles to be removed and we'll wipe the floor with the Dubs and anyone else unfortunate enough to cross our path. Tradition, Galway style football etc, all absolute nonsense. The game has changed though a lot of people on here either can't or don't want to accept that. A return to our "traditional football" similar to that played by our u20s this year won't work at senior level, it's that simple. If PJ & Co were handed the senior job, they very people on here looking for their appointment wouldn't be long turning on them if results weren't positive. Finally, a small bit of respect for Kevin wouldn't go amiss here after all he has done for football in this county as a player and manager."
People forget that KW was within one half of football away from bringing Galway to a league final even though they had massive injury list. OK Id be the first to agree that the style isn't great but Id prefer that than to see forwards one on one with our backs - I think its a system that suits the panel of players at his disposal. This year was the first year since KW took over that he didnt make progress - I'd give him at least one more year and take it from there.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 16/08/2019 10:28:00    2226291

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "People forget that KW was within one half of football away from bringing Galway to a league final even though they had massive injury list. OK Id be the first to agree that the style isn't great but Id prefer that than to see forwards one on one with our backs - I think its a system that suits the panel of players at his disposal. This year was the first year since KW took over that he didnt make progress - I'd give him at least one more year and take it from there."
The big difference there is "one kick away: Look at Mayo this year an aging team, and the injury list they had. Won league with a depleted team from injury. Ok got well bet in championship by a Dublin team who could afford to rest almost entire panel the previous week. Also a Dublin team who imo won't be bet in championship for the next 3yrs at least I do agree when u say our backs aren't great, but look at the potential in our forward line. Attack is the best form of defence but we keep playing lateral football where there is no system of running off the shoulder. Also if you want another year of this style of football we will have another year of declining support.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 16/08/2019 11:23:31    2226318

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "People forget that KW was within one half of football away from bringing Galway to a league final even though they had massive injury list. OK Id be the first to agree that the style isn't great but Id prefer that than to see forwards one on one with our backs - I think its a system that suits the panel of players at his disposal. This year was the first year since KW took over that he didnt make progress - I'd give him at least one more year and take it from there."
Stop. Stop .Stop. How can we consider keeping current management. We are not going to win AI in 2020 so lets set a more realistic target i.e. to play proper foitball and try to make putting a maroon jersey on as being something to be proud of... not subject to local and national ridicule.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 61 - 16/08/2019 11:30:56    2226325

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Stop. Stop .Stop. How can we consider keeping current management. We are not going to win AI in 2020 so lets set a more realistic target i.e. to play proper foitball and try to make putting a maroon jersey on as being something to be proud of... not subject to local and national ridicule."
Well said and agree with all that Toman has said too. None of us are demonising Kevin (and we're not an orchestra either!) but people have got to recognise we're a laughing stock in terms of our style of play and Kevin is not now going to change that any time soon.
It's also of concern that given we have a panel with a lot of talented attacking footballers, another year with Kevin's style/gameplan will stifle most of them for good. Would some of them even want to play that way? I'm not so sure players get motivated by those sort of awful negative tactics.
A new management will also need time to change the whole set up, maybe two to three years and the sooner they get a crack at it the better, so this is urgent. No point wasting another year hoping and praying Kevin will wake up and be the Messiah...it's not going to happen.

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 16/08/2019 12:25:01    2226367

Link

The future of Galway football looks relatively bright once Walsh is out of the way and they find the right manager. That panel is no ways near as bad as some make out and we've been strong at underage for a good few years now.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 16/08/2019 12:50:30    2226376

Link

Same few on now regurgitating the same bile and spew regarding Kevin Walshe
I'm starting to think he might have given some of ye a good horsing on the pitch, if ye ever played, or even went to, or go to matches
Talk of no injuries this year, LOL
We were missing the entire spine of the team from last years championship when starting against Mayo
Thank God Kevin is going ahead into 2020
Hopefully he will have support from all

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 193 - 16/08/2019 21:16:07    2226594

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Same few on now regurgitating the same bile and spew regarding Kevin Walshe
I'm starting to think he might have given some of ye a good horsing on the pitch, if ye ever played, or even went to, or go to matches
We were missing the entire spine of the team from last years championship when starting against Mayo
Hopefully he will have support from all"
In agreement; teams will not win anything without a solid defence.

MeAlone (Galway) - Posts: 14 - 16/08/2019 21:43:26    2226611

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Same few on now regurgitating the same bile and spew regarding Kevin Walshe
It's not bile and spew from most of us, it's people across a lot of the county saying 5 years is quite enough, thank you. I think Kevin will stay on but I really don't see any benefit in him doing so, either for Galway football or himself. He's had a fair shot at it. We need to move forward again.
We're rudderless on the field with zero attacking plan - none. It was as clear as day from the sideline in Pearse in that rotten 2nd half against Roscommon and in our performance against Mayo in Limerick. If he is going to stay, then he'd better bring on a forwards coach that knows what he's doing. The current stuff we're playing may win an fbd match or two, and a league match or two, but is useless for championship. Something has to change.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 16/08/2019 22:28:11    2226625

Link

The same few who will always turn when the narrative suits them to do so

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 17/08/2019 01:15:31    2226662

Link

On the contrary, most of the posts on this forum are people who are . passionate Galway supporters, and want to see Galway competing. Also those passionate supporters want to see Galway support improved. Read the posts, NOBODY said we don't have injuries, what we said is every country have injuries. A small minority on this forum need a reality check ie they are passionate Kevin supporters. don't get passionate galway supporter and passionate Kevin supporters mixed. The reason we are airing ou views is because we love galway sport. I said it before Kevin Walsh is a legend in my eyes, but it is imperative he steps aside for the good of Galway football. I think someone commented on one of the above posts saying it is going to take a new management team time to blend in and bring i in there style of play. He also said if this doesn't happen now it will be too late for some of this current panel, a statement I FULLY agree with.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 17/08/2019 09:46:32    2226692

Link

Could heaney play corner back? is kyne any good at centre back?

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 17/08/2019 11:25:58    2226721

Link

Replying To Toman:  "On the contrary, most of the posts on this forum are people who are . passionate Galway supporters, and want to see Galway competing. Also those passionate supporters want to see Galway support improved. Read the posts, NOBODY said we don't have injuries, what we said is every country have injuries. A small minority on this forum need a reality check ie they are passionate Kevin supporters. don't get passionate galway supporter and passionate Kevin supporters mixed. The reason we are airing ou views is because we love galway sport. I said it before Kevin Walsh is a legend in my eyes, but it is imperative he steps aside for the good of Galway football. I think someone commented on one of the above posts saying it is going to take a new management team time to blend in and bring i in there style of play. He also said if this doesn't happen now it will be too late for some of this current panel, a statement I FULLY agree with."
Maybe but if he stays us 'passionate' supporters should row in behind him. On injuries fair enough all squads get same but we were unlucky in that a key grouping were all out more or less at the same time. Personally I would have thought KW brought us as far as he could. As it is likely he us staying to finish his term I will be supporting him. That is because no individual is greater than the sum of the parts and supporting a county through all guises is the best non academic definite of passionate that I am aware of.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1639 - 17/08/2019 13:38:53    2226752

Link

Well this year was poor injuries aside
there was a major regression in performance all round
our defensive set up that was so good in 2018
was nowhere to be seen this year no doubt paddy tally was a major loss
when you defend in the modern game you defend as a team that didn't happen
and then break forward at pace didn't happen WHY?
when you look at that tyrone beating in the league
from being 7 pts up to get hammered like that in second half
well the alarm bells were ringing after that
if kevin stays on getting a top class coach is vital the players are there
hopefully the injurys wont be an issue next year

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1048 - 17/08/2019 18:37:20    2226807

Link

KW take note. Micheal Donoghue saw it himself that it was time to go for the greater good of Galway hurling and allow a new management team to freshen things up with the hurlers.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 21/08/2019 10:42:45    2228112

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "KW take note. Micheal Donoghue saw it himself that it was time to go for the greater good of Galway hurling and allow a new management team to freshen things up with the hurlers."
Agree togoutlads. And remember Michael Donaghue won an allIreland 2 years ago but still had the cop to see Galway hurling needs a new face for the greater good of Country.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 21/08/2019 10:57:44    2228120

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "KW take note. Micheal Donoghue saw it himself that it was time to go for the greater good of Galway hurling and allow a new management team to freshen things up with the hurlers."
Michael O Donaghue's decision puts in striking contrast the clinging to the job of KW...surely he will now see the light?

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 21/08/2019 11:42:47    2228153

Link

I'd say if anything the pressure from the county board for Kevin to stay will intensify as they will not want to have to fill 2 vacancies and need whatever money is in the pot for the new hurling manager, If the hurlers(as in players)want someone like Davy Fitz they will get him but the financial side of things will mean not to much left over for the football side of the house.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 340 - 21/08/2019 12:21:06    2228169

Link

I think MD finished his term while KW has a year left?

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1282 - 21/08/2019 12:23:34    2228171

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "I think MD finished his term while KW has a year left?"
That's not the point though.
KW can walk anytime he wants and MD was actually expected to stay on by the County Board even if his term was up. I don't think MD was under any pressure to leave unless he wished to do so.

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 21/08/2019 12:38:54    2228177

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "That's not the point though.
KW can walk anytime he wants and MD was actually expected to stay on by the County Board even if his term was up. I don't think MD was under any pressure to leave unless he wished to do so."
True but KW wants to walk away after a better season than this one and I would give him the final shot at it. He bet London (luckily) and Sligo, wow. MD made up his own mind and FairPlay to him. Both men deserve respect. County board are in a bit of a spot to replace MD as we may end up with a weaker manager. Who would be available if big Kev stepped down?

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 962 - 21/08/2019 13:22:43    2228197

Link