Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Toman:  "Galwayman2 great post. Have to agree with you fully."
Yes...agree that you're on the money here, a good post. I'm pretty sure I and others posted much the same sentiments after last season and here we are again a year later, no change and going backwards in most facets of our game. I think Kevin's strategy is a selfish one and that is to by and large play the percentages each year and just hang around, easily done because Co Board have no bottle or money. It's turning out to be a dreadful scenario for the team and supporters but i can see us having this very same conversation in a years time. Depressing stuff!

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 07/08/2019 15:13:14    2222217

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "Yes...agree that you're on the money here, a good post. I'm pretty sure I and others posted much the same sentiments after last season and here we are again a year later, no change and going backwards in most facets of our game. I think Kevin's strategy is a selfish one and that is to by and large play the percentages each year and just hang around, easily done because Co Board have no bottle or money. It's turning out to be a dreadful scenario for the team and supporters but i can see us having this very same conversation in a years time. Depressing stuff!"
The only depressing thing here is I wasted 20 seconds of my life I'll never get back reading this dung

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 193 - 07/08/2019 17:17:44    2222294

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "The only depressing thing here is I wasted 20 seconds of my life I'll never get back reading this dung"
Well I have good news for you. You can fix that by not reading the forum.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 07/08/2019 22:29:09    2222487

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I dunno I don't see the point in Kevin staying on or why he would even want to after the way this season went.
There's too many problems in the setup - a fresh approach is needed or 2020 will go the same way as 2019.
The difference in attitude between our lads and Mayo is the most galling thing for me.
They "bring it" every time they go out onto the field - in terms of aggression and intensity levels, ferocious tackling, workrate etc.
We "bring it" only occasionally and more often than not have been found wanting in that department.
That's before you even get into the other problems the team has."
After watching Dubs v Mayo today I am sad to say we are way off that pace. I suppose most teams are, but we need a change of attitude if we are going to compete on a serious level - winning Connacht (whenever we do) is no longer the standard to be measured by.

Mayfair (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 10/08/2019 22:39:47    2223710

Link

yesterdays game showed what we already knew really....... mayo have had no rest and have been psychologically taken apart by dublin and kerry... their main players are still the seven 30 pluses and the old problems still exist....goal keeper, efficiency in front of goal and discipline (coc again).
our lads have had a good rest and need to come back refreshed, injury free and 100 percent committed to the cause we need to get our team set early as possible in the league, pick a gk and stick with him, find a freetaker who is consistent...leonard/finnerty? and develop the system to high press as opposed to the deep lying press and see where it brings us

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 539 - 12/08/2019 15:18:06    2224696

Link

Replying To Mayfair:  "After watching Dubs v Mayo today I am sad to say we are way off that pace. I suppose most teams are, but we need a change of attitude if we are going to compete on a serious level - winning Connacht (whenever we do) is no longer the standard to be measured by."
winning Connacht is a means to an end, to get to super 8 or whatever else they will come up with, but we need to win it more often than we do.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1282 - 12/08/2019 18:08:27    2224811

Link

With the terrific display from our minors it has to be said that now more than ever we need a fresh start and Kevin Walsh should step aside as Galway senior manager. We don't need the next generation of footballers playing KevinBall and its time someone else should be given the opportunity to lead our county.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 14/08/2019 04:01:27    2225384

Link

Replying To Galway4ever:  "With the terrific display from our minors it has to be said that now more than ever we need a fresh start and Kevin Walsh should step aside as Galway senior manager. We don't need the next generation of footballers playing KevinBall and its time someone else should be given the opportunity to lead our county."
Too true....

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 14/08/2019 11:29:57    2225458

Link

"Kev ball" will end in 2020 unless we lose the final to Dublin, then everyone will say give him 3 more years.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 962 - 14/08/2019 13:52:18    2225578

Link

Replying To Galway4ever:  "With the terrific display from our minors it has to be said that now more than ever we need a fresh start and Kevin Walsh should step aside as Galway senior manager. We don't need the next generation of footballers playing KevinBall and its time someone else should be given the opportunity to lead our county."
Couldn't agree more. Our senior panel NEED a new management Inc selectors. Fair play to them but its time for change, they have brought this team as far as THEY CAN

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 14/08/2019 14:36:52    2225616

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Couldn't agree more. Our senior panel NEED a new management Inc selectors. Fair play to them but its time for change, they have brought this team as far as THEY CAN"
Fully agree Toman...Kevin is letting himself down by not doing the dignified thing and walking away. Look at John Meyler in Cork, he's walked away after a lot of progress but he knew after only two years somebody else should have a go at taking them to the next level.
It's no shame to leave now...but that may not be the case after another year?

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 15/08/2019 11:54:22    2225966

Link

Very unfair some of the criticism on this. seems very orchestrated to be honest. Kevin has brought us into the big league and we are now mixing it with the bog teams. This year the team was riddled with injuries. Are we so naive to not take that into account? We lost last year to Dublin by 9 points and the team is slaughtered on the forums by the same lads posting negative stuff here.. Mayo lose by ten this year and they are heroes. Whatever Kevin decides the very best of luck to him. He has made us competitive again something we hadn't been before he came onto the scene.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 161 - 15/08/2019 15:04:59    2226024

Link

Have to admire the enthusiasm from some lads remarking about the talent in Minor and U-20. It's as if they firmly believe they're ready to go and take the Senior game apart...

Then you remember it's not the 80's anymore

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 15/08/2019 15:36:35    2226038

Link

Replying To philip3:  "Very unfair some of the criticism on this. seems very orchestrated to be honest. Kevin has brought us into the big league and we are now mixing it with the bog teams. This year the team was riddled with injuries. Are we so naive to not take that into account? We lost last year to Dublin by 9 points and the team is slaughtered on the forums by the same lads posting negative stuff here.. Mayo lose by ten this year and they are heroes. Whatever Kevin decides the very best of luck to him. He has made us competitive again something we hadn't been before he came onto the scene."
orchestrated The same can be said about the few people who are saying Kevin took us into big league. Take a look at bigger picture teams evolve, and with the last few years there is a very good team there if they are let play attacking football with an element of defence.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 15/08/2019 15:45:19    2226045

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "Fully agree Toman...Kevin is letting himself down by not doing the dignified thing and walking away. Look at John Meyler in Cork, he's walked away after a lot of progress but he knew after only two years somebody else should have a go at taking them to the next level.
It's no shame to leave now...but that may not be the case after another year?"
To be fair its much like micky harte there is no one out there you could say will most certainly improve things. Galway and tyrone are in the same boat looking for a jim gavin

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 15/08/2019 16:11:20    2226059

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "To be fair its much like micky harte there is no one out there you could say will most certainly improve things. Galway and tyrone are in the same boat looking for a jim gavin"
You may right, perhaps the options aren't great...but accepting mediocrity is never a good idea. Better to let someone new like P Joyce learn on the job than more of this "reverse/sideways ball" or whatever we want to call it! We can't let our traditions stoop this low and just accept it, it's shameful...

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 15/08/2019 16:59:23    2226090

Link

The level of negativity towards Kevin and the team generally is way out of line in my opinion. There seems to be a perception amongst some supporters that there's an All Ireland ready to be won with the players we have, all that's needed is for the shackles to be removed and we'll wipe the floor with the Dubs and anyone else unfortunate enough to cross our path. Tradition, Galway style football etc, all absolute nonsense. The game has changed though a lot of people on here either can't or don't want to accept that. A return to our "traditional football" similar to that played by our u20s this year won't work at senior level, it's that simple. If PJ & Co were handed the senior job, they very people on here looking for their appointment wouldn't be long turning on them if results weren't positive. Finally, a small bit of respect for Kevin wouldn't go amiss here after all he has done for football in this county as a player and manager.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 15/08/2019 21:29:43    2226182

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Have to admire the enthusiasm from some lads remarking about the talent in Minor and U-20. It's as if they firmly believe they're ready to go and take the Senior game apart...

Then you remember it's not the 80's anymore"
True. They won't shake pull up any trees any time soon. Still rather have decent underage teams then not have them. You seem to have a glass very much half empty feel towards Galway at the moment.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 441 - 15/08/2019 21:34:50    2226188

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "True. They won't shake pull up any trees any time soon. Still rather have decent underage teams then not have them. You seem to have a glass very much half empty feel towards Galway at the moment."
Fair point regards having decent underage teams. However they're not a guarantee of future success, something a lot of people here think is only just round the corner by switching certain individuals/players

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 16/08/2019 07:08:31    2226242

Link

Replying To johnjoe21:  "The level of negativity towards Kevin and the team generally is way out of line in my opinion. There seems to be a perception amongst some supporters that there's an All Ireland ready to be won with the players we have, all that's needed is for the shackles to be removed and we'll wipe the floor with the Dubs and anyone else unfortunate enough to cross our path. Tradition, Galway style football etc, all absolute nonsense. The game has changed though a lot of people on here either can't or don't want to accept that. A return to our "traditional football" similar to that played by our u20s this year won't work at senior level, it's that simple. If PJ & Co were handed the senior job, they very people on here looking for their appointment wouldn't be long turning on them if results weren't positive. Finally, a small bit of respect for Kevin wouldn't go amiss here after all he has done for football in this county as a player and manager."
I think you are mixing up what the real issue. EVERYONE on this forum acknowledge that Kevin was one of the best players to ever put on a pair of boots for his Country. Galway football v Kevin Walsh as a player is not the issue. But for some reason SOME people seem to be mixing both issues. Kevin has had 5 yrs and imo as I said before he has improved things while he had Tally with him. That said imo teams evolve and the players were at his disposal. And as of using injuries as an excuse every Country suffers injuries. No one ever said PJ would be the misbah but it does appear that a small minority on this form want another year of latteral football and then when the chips are down try turn to attacking football. It doesn't work. A fantastic footballer and the future of Galway football should not be confused for people to try and get their points across.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 16/08/2019 08:03:25    2226244

Link