Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To WanPintWin:  "He has another year on his term, so there's nothing to ratify. If he wants to stay, he'll be the senior manager next year.
I think he has taken us as far as he can, but it'll be his own decision at this point."
No word from Brisbane? He hasn't posted in awhile

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 04/08/2019 20:47:27    2220846

Link

He is staying...

Word is changing up backroom team..

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 236 - 04/08/2019 22:48:18    2220924

Link

As a 24/7 Galway fan one of the disappointments of 2019 is the attitude on this site and beyond of the Galway bashing that is not helpful by some of the "loudest" commentators, unlikeable people I would imagine. I think the senior footballers responded well in Limerick after the early setbacks. Galway sucked the life out of Mayo for the Kerry game and fair play to our neighbours for hanging in there. Ultimately, KW will lead us into 2020 if he wants it. PJ, Rochford etc will just have to bide their time. KW has a lot of homework to do over the Winter.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 962 - 05/08/2019 12:30:07    2221073

Link

We get so caught up in 1 or 2 displays.

Mayo lost twice this year, Donegal lost once and are out despite excellent displays against Tyrone and Kerry ( missing so many players)

My worry is yous will get Rochford.

Would yous like him?

IamDonegal (Donegal) - Posts: 134 - 05/08/2019 13:59:03    2221117

Link

Replying To Jellybaby:  "He is staying...

Word is changing up backroom team.."
Does this mean that Stritch isn't the only one who'll be leaving? Brian Silke and Seán Conlon could depart also?

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 05/08/2019 15:49:08    2221180

Link

Replying To IamDonegal:  "We get so caught up in 1 or 2 displays.

Mayo lost twice this year, Donegal lost once and are out despite excellent displays against Tyrone and Kerry ( missing so many players)

Would yous like him?"
no i wouldnt take rochford....didnt bring much to the table yesterday against mayo- the team he is supposed to know inside out

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 539 - 05/08/2019 16:03:55    2221192

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "Does this mean that Stritch isn't the only one who'll be leaving? Brian Silke and Seán Conlon could depart also?"
Not sure on Silks but clean slate

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 236 - 05/08/2019 18:11:06    2221244

Link

Replying To Jellybaby:  "Not sure on Silks but clean slate"
word has it that Silke and Conlon both struggling with time commitment and had indicated that this was there last year as selectors ,

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 340 - 05/08/2019 18:48:59    2221261

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "no i wouldnt take rochford....didnt bring much to the table yesterday against mayo- the team he is supposed to know inside out"
agreed, based on this Summer I would not be excited about Rochford or PJ. Donegal did zero in the tackling dept. yesterday, what exactly did Rochford contribute I wonder? Rochford and PJ are great people but is there any reason to remove KW before his contract expires in 2020 and replace him with these kinda lads?

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1282 - 05/08/2019 19:27:35    2221283

Link

5 years was enough but if KW is staying on then he needs a proper attacking expert amongst his selector / coach backroom team - because Kevin just isn't one. He's got to see this shortcoming himself. We're pretty clueless on attacking preparation, while in training, lads are schooled over and over to keep recycling - to the point that I think it's actually breaking our more natural forwards' attacking instincts and skill set.
Regarding the touted new sideline, we also need someone vocal and motivating on the sideline because we've been missing a Field Marshall to call out the orders in the heat of big matches - it amazes me how silent our sideline is during matches, they stay practically mute, even during crunch spells when instructions have to be got to players. Players won't die with their boots on if they don't hear the leaders with passion driving them forward. It doesn't mean we need someone constantly roaring encouragement and instructions from start to finish, but there are plenty of times when you need someone on your sideline to call things out for players that clearly need a change in instruction, a good rev up and particularly when they struggle to show on-field leadership themselves. Cajones are needed somewhere in the setup or we'll have more limp performances!

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 05/08/2019 20:01:55    2221301

Link

I dunno I don't see the point in Kevin staying on or why he would even want to after the way this season went.
There's too many problems in the setup - a fresh approach is needed or 2020 will go the same way as 2019.
The difference in attitude between our lads and Mayo is the most galling thing for me.
They "bring it" every time they go out onto the field - in terms of aggression and intensity levels, ferocious tackling, workrate etc.
We "bring it" only occasionally and more often than not have been found wanting in that department.
That's before you even get into the other problems the team has.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 642 - 05/08/2019 22:01:48    2221351

Link

Replying To IamDonegal:  "We get so caught up in 1 or 2 displays.

Would yous like him?"
Donegal got 3 points from the super 8s and Mayo got 4 points. Ye weren't good enough to beat Kerry or Mayo so stop coming up with excuses.

Galway2019 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 05/08/2019 23:38:52    2221394

Link

Replying To Galway2019:  "Donegal got 3 points from the super 8s and Mayo got 4 points. Ye weren't good enough to beat Kerry or Mayo so stop coming up with excuses."
The poster is not really making excuses from my reading of it. Donegal a bit like us. Just got so many things wrong on the day. Our issues are well documented but largely a failure system on the part of mgt (our style plus crazy situation with the goalkeeper fiasco topping the lot) as we have a reasonably talented bunch. Donegal also have a talented bunch but neither could match Mayo for intensity unfortunately. While Mayo have introduced a few guys like McDonagh and Carr (both have made impact) we just have not kicked on from last year. If KW stays (and I understand he is going to) at the very least he needs to be far more full press and less lateral and use the FBD and early stages of the league to trial this. So what if we lose some of these games as it gives him time to make it work when it matters. If he does not change somewhat his great legacy as a player in itself will be seriously impacted on.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1639 - 06/08/2019 09:50:08    2221449

Link

Another thing that struck me is how we have so many injuries this year
That's when I look at Dublin who are playing a lot more games than us
And yet they have very few if any major injuries despite this
There s no doubt their strength and conditioning is top class
This has to be a reason why their injury levels are low
I would add their medical set up is prob the best too

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1048 - 06/08/2019 11:18:54    2221507

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "agreed, based on this Summer I would not be excited about Rochford or PJ. Donegal did zero in the tackling dept. yesterday, what exactly did Rochford contribute I wonder? Rochford and PJ are great people but is there any reason to remove KW before his contract expires in 2020 and replace him with these kinda lads?"
PJ reminds me a bit of mulholland he is not the answer..Rochford is overrated by brolly who just wanted to get a dig in at mayo. Donie buckley and the players were running the show when he was with mayo. KW is lucky there are no obvious people out there to improve things all he needs to do is appoint someone like rory gallagher for his final year and pressure is off..

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 06/08/2019 11:55:15    2221523

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "PJ reminds me a bit of mulholland he is not the answer..Rochford is overrated by brolly who just wanted to get a dig in at mayo. Donie buckley and the players were running the show when he was with mayo. KW is lucky there are no obvious people out there to improve things all he needs to do is appoint someone like rory gallagher for his final year and pressure is off.."
Wish they would put us all out of our misery then - but it will probably be decided to bury the news next Sat. sometime around Dublin v Mayo game.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 331 - 06/08/2019 12:26:37    2221554

Link

Replying To Really:  "Wish they would put us all out of our misery then - but it will probably be decided to bury the news next Sat. sometime around Dublin v Mayo game."
Announcing what??
He doesn't have to announce anything, he has a year left on his deal..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 06/08/2019 14:37:38    2221619

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I dunno I don't see the point in Kevin staying on or why he would even want to after the way this season went.
There's too many problems in the setup - a fresh approach is needed or 2020 will go the same way as 2019.
The difference in attitude between our lads and Mayo is the most galling thing for me.
They "bring it" every time they go out onto the field - in terms of aggression and intensity levels, ferocious tackling, workrate etc.
We "bring it" only occasionally and more often than not have been found wanting in that department.
That's before you even get into the other problems the team has."
Galwayman2 great post. Have to agree with you fully.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 07/08/2019 01:12:43    2222001

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Announcing what??
He doesn't have to announce anything, he has a year left on his deal.."
You know what he means.
There's a review at the end of every season regardless of what the initial term is.
In Mayo Rochford got an extension after the 2017 AI final up until the end of the 2020 season.
Did him no good after last years championship exit

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 642 - 07/08/2019 08:26:30    2222024

Link

its absolutely true that these managerial arrangements are non-binding tentative"contracts" subject to annual review. The county board should clarify the Walsh situation with a a vote of confidence or otherwise.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1282 - 07/08/2019 13:48:49    2222164

Link