Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Mayonman:  "Ridiculous post. Anyone that needs to be convinced by the Galway set up should never be let near a maroon jersey.

Galway probably had 50 players involved since PJ took over and i guarantee u that on this form and others nearly every players position on the team/panel was questioned. If you are such a snowflake that that bothers u than u probably wouldn't be much good when the chips are down anyway.

Anyone that basis an assessment of Corofin players on yesterdays performance is crazy. They will add big time to the Galway set up."
Agreed, Mayonman. Corofin lads will add another huge impetus to Galway and it'll be great to see them in the maroon and white. I hope all those called in will answer that call. Galway football is on the up.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 214 - 20/01/2020 14:31:45    2261109

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Monaghan looked horrendous going forward in the McKenna Cup final. We need a good start on Sunday which will force them to come out and play and then more gaps should appear in their defence. Some idea of the team, cant see too many changes from Saturday:

Gleeson
Heaney
Mulkerrin
O'Donnell
McDaid
Daly
Brannigan
Flynn
D'Arcy
Conroy
Daly
S.Kelly
Varley
Walsh
Comer"
O Beolain I reckon will start ahead of Gleeson .

galway4life (Galway) - Posts: 174 - 20/01/2020 16:45:08    2261141

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Well done Corofin - a fine club. Their subs were the difference in the end. Conor Cunningham, Darragh Silke, Gavin Burke, Dylan Canny, Ciaran McGrath, Dylan Mchugh, Conor Newell - not bad subs to bring on for a club team!! I would love two of them in my club! They have all played for Galway.
Can never understand Conor Cunningham being a sub with Corofin. He is a fine footballer.
Cathal Silke a very steady corner back. Maybe a bit small for Galway but a better corner back than Kerin IMO. Has Dylan Wall played much at corner back?
B.Power, L.Silke, Molloy, D.Wall, Martin Farragher and I.Burke to make the 30 man Galway squad."
Totally agree with you about Conor Cunningham. He should be one of the first players on the team sheet. A fine player who has been treated a bit unfairly.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 20/01/2020 18:45:27    2261171

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Monaghan looked horrendous going forward in the McKenna Cup final. We need a good start on Sunday which will force them to come out and play and then more gaps should appear in their defence. Some idea of the team, cant see too many changes from Saturday:

Gleeson
Heaney
Mulkerrin
O'Donnell
McDaid
Daly
Brannigan
Flynn
D'Arcy
Conroy
Daly
S.Kelly
Varley
Walsh
Comer"
If Monaghan are right for this game they will test the pulse of this Galway team. It will be interesting.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 20/01/2020 18:50:36    2261173

Link

Gleeson
Heaney
Mulkerrin
O'Donnell
McDaid
Daly
Brannigan
Flynn
D'Arcy
Conroy
Daly
S.Kelly
Varley
Walsh
Comer"
cant see god at corner back! asfor sean kelly he looked way off the pace on saturday so i doubt he will be ready

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 20/01/2020 20:05:02    2261189

Link

Gleeson
Heaney
Mulkerrin
O'Donnell
McDaid
Daly
Brannigan
Flynn
D'Arcy
Conroy
Daly
S.Kelly
Varley
Walsh
Comer"
Agree with that team except O'Beoloin will start in goals and Mikey Boyle instead of Seán Kelly

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 20/01/2020 21:49:03    2261222

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Totally agree with you about Conor Cunningham. He should be one of the first players on the team sheet. A fine player who has been treated a bit unfairly."
Tank of a man
Made a big impact when he came on yesterday

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 20/01/2020 22:14:55    2261226

Link

Vital they beat monaghon on sunday. Lose and you're under pressure straight away especially with away to kerry and away to donegal being the next two fixtures.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 309 - 21/01/2020 10:16:36    2261264

Link

Replying To fearruanua:  "Vital they beat monaghon on sunday. Lose and you're under pressure straight away especially with away to kerry and away to donegal being the next two fixtures."
I wouldn't say vital, I'd take a high scoring attacking style of football loss over a 8-7 or something defensive win. Performance ranks higher than result for me anyways in the league

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 21/01/2020 13:20:17    2261313

Link

Galway by 3 or 4 here, think the, Meath away, Donegal away and Tyrone in Tuam games are must win if we lose Sunday. Cant see us beating the dubs or winning down in Tralee, Mayo will be toss of a coin stuff

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 21/01/2020 15:12:55    2261346

Link

Replying To fearruanua:  "Vital they beat monaghon on sunday. Lose and you're under pressure straight away especially with away to kerry and away to donegal being the next two fixtures."
I agree. Vital to win it. If only for the momentum alone, after the FBD and Corofin successes. Just keep winning - it's a good habit to get into! Also, supporters are coming back so need to give them something to rev up about and spread the gospel!

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 214 - 21/01/2020 16:19:35    2261368

Link

i think that coming with momentum and pj likely to start as many of his best players as he can we should turn over monaghan by 4/5 points
see ye in salthill!!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 21/01/2020 21:21:46    2261446

Link

Galway team v Monaghan

Connor Gleeson (Dunmore MacHales)
Johnny Duane (St James)
Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arann)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
John Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)
Michael Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
Robert Finnerty (Salthill Knocknacarra)
Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin-Clonberne)
Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1741 - 21/01/2020 23:38:09    2261471

Link

Team for Monaghan

Gleeson
Duane
Mulkerrin
Heaney
GOD
Daly
McDaid
Flynn
Darcy
M.Boyle
Conroy
Daly
Finnerty
Walsh
Varley

Duane getting another chance in the league, GOD back to wing back, Darcy getting a chance at midfield, Conroy with experience at 11, and a strong inside forward line.

Expect Galway to win by 4

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 78 - 22/01/2020 08:19:52    2261484

Link

Replying To whoop_hero:  "Team for Monaghan

Gleeson
Duane
Mulkerrin
Heaney
GOD
Daly
McDaid
Flynn
Darcy
M.Boyle
Conroy
Daly
Finnerty
Walsh
Varley

Duane getting another chance in the league, GOD back to wing back, Darcy getting a chance at midfield, Conroy with experience at 11, and a strong inside forward line.

Expect Galway to win by 4"
Judging from last day in Roscommon both Darcy and Boyle were well caught out on several occasions.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 396 - 22/01/2020 09:45:58    2261497

Link

My opinion.... not a very strong team, issues in defence. 50 50 game..
Who in defence will mark Conor Mc Manus??

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 174 - 22/01/2020 10:12:55    2261503

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Judging from last day in Roscommon both Darcy and Boyle were well caught out on several occasions."
The midfield will be flooded in this sort of game so its not like anyone is going to be one on one in that area of the pitch. Wouldnt be worried about Darcy or Boyle, they will always have plenty of bodies beside them. It's the Kerry and Dublin games where players would be exposed in more open games.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 22/01/2020 10:30:10    2261512

Link

Replying To galway19:  "The midfield will be flooded in this sort of game so its not like anyone is going to be one on one in that area of the pitch. Wouldnt be worried about Darcy or Boyle, they will always have plenty of bodies beside them. It's the Kerry and Dublin games where players would be exposed in more open games."
Ya true. Monaghan should pose a threat for 20 to 30 min but even if PJ picks the same team as he did against rossies you'd imagine Galway by 3 or 4.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 396 - 22/01/2020 11:27:49    2261524

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "My opinion.... not a very strong team, issues in defence. 50 50 game..
Who in defence will mark Conor Mc Manus??"
DiD I not read somewhere that McManus was out. Could be wrong..

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 396 - 22/01/2020 11:29:33    2261525

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Galway team v Monaghan

Connor Gleeson (Dunmore MacHales)
Johnny Duane (St James)
Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arann)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
John Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)
Michael Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
Robert Finnerty (Salthill Knocknacarra)
Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin-Clonberne)
Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)"
Happy to see Duane finnerty boyle etc get another chance... as the first league game is corofin less they need to impress!!
in the new system i think conroy finnerty walsh and daly will prosper as there will be support in the forward line and the best kickers will hopefully make hay. varley is a great out ball and his distribution and assist ability is indeed imoressive.
interesting to see how the backs hold up with little or no support working back in the early games...it could be hare him scare him stuff at times!!
looking forward to it

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 22/01/2020 19:46:10    2261646

Link