Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Mayo into AI SF. Performance this evening miles ahead of anything Galway are capable of. After all the talk of a strong Galway panel I'm afraid there are a lot of pretenders in the ranks, no guts or hunger

Mickhiggins (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 03/08/2019 20:55:16    2220266

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "Mayo into AI SF. Performance this evening miles ahead of anything Galway are capable of. After all the talk of a strong Galway panel I'm afraid there are a lot of pretenders in the ranks, no guts or hunger"
What does that performance by Mayo have to do with Galway? Rhetorical question.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1282 - 03/08/2019 21:30:20    2220287

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "What does that performance by Mayo have to do with Galway? Rhetorical question."
Of course it has something to do with Galway. We bet them an aging team (mayo) 4 or 5 times over past couple of years and u would think we won an all Ireland. Now they have progressed and we aren't even in top 4 teams in Ireland anymore. To be honest imo we are going backwards.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 172 - 03/08/2019 21:52:18    2220298

Link

Replying To Toman:  "But Brisbane..... is all the following not just ur opinion or do u think ur word is gospel.
:We are looking for football managers and coaches not men to marry our sisters
"He's a very modest man, the man is a gentleman, There's no screaming and roaring with that guy, are loyal" ....uncote. My opinion for what its worth is PJ Joyce and Company need more time at under20. They still have to prove themselves. Although I do agree Divillys CV looks impressive. I would love to hear Belclares view on this."
superman / clark kent
batman / bruce wayne
Toman / tommy k

What do all these have in common?

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 03/08/2019 21:56:57    2220299

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "What does that performance by Mayo have to do with Galway? Rhetorical question."
What is has to do with Galway is that we were going around patting ourselves on the back for finally gaining the upper hand over the last few years only to find now that we are as far away from them as ever. They don't give a crap about Connacht and only have eyes for the big prize. When the chips are down at the business end of the championship they have the bottle to grasp victory. We on the other hand go out with a whimper. They have big game intelligence which I feel we will never have regardless of who manages us. Need a few more plasterers, farmers and bricklayers in the team who will give the hits that heats the blood. Too many shirts and ties playing for Galway these days

Mickhiggins (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 03/08/2019 22:17:34    2220312

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "What is has to do with Galway is that we were going around patting ourselves on the back for finally gaining the upper hand over the last few years only to find now that we are as far away from them as ever. They don't give a crap about Connacht and only have eyes for the big prize. When the chips are down at the business end of the championship they have the bottle to grasp victory. We on the other hand go out with a whimper. They have big game intelligence which I feel we will never have regardless of who manages us. Need a few more plasterers, farmers and bricklayers in the team who will give the hits that heats the blood. Too many shirts and ties playing for Galway these days"
We do give a crap about Connacht. When Horan came in the first time he said he wanted to take the crap out of mayo fooball and make us competitive in every game...bar Kerry a few weeks ago and I think fatigue played a part, this Mayo team die with their boots on and while we are a laughing stock to to the rest of the country, I really don't care cause of they give theirs all what more can you ask?

Galway in my opinion have the footballers to be right up there and possibly win Sam soon but ye need the right attitude and people on the sideline...just my 2 cents.

We will likely go out next weekend but just glad our older warriors will bow out on the big stage.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9879 - 04/08/2019 09:05:54    2220427

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "The U-20's had a very good year despite losing the semi-final. Comfortably won Connacht. Must be remembered that this group lost to Cavan I think in the minor quarter-finals a couple years ago so they are not exactly world beaters. And since then they've lost Evan Murphy to serious injury. Arguably their best player."
I have heard it from 2 very reliable sources that Kevin and co are not going for another year so we have to start by looking for a new management team anyway. I would let Pjand the boys have a go at it

Galway2001 (Galway) - Posts: 7 - 04/08/2019 09:45:40    2220437

Link

It's hard to beat this Mayo team, playing good open football, because they will outplay most teams, bar Dublin & they've proven that they can live with them too, only not quite get it done. Galway only beat Mayo in 2016 2017 2018 because they stank out the joint playing puke football, and the Mayo forwards do not seem to have the capacity to deal with mass defenses.

This Donegal team earned most of it's reputation off the back of one impressive win over a Tyrone team that seemed to be in a hapless mess defensively on the day, because they were transitioning to a more expansive game at the time, or trialing it that day anyway. Ironically, Donegal's ranking took a dent yesterday evening for the very same reason imo. Donegal need Jimmy back to fix that defense. Andy Moran looked 21 out there......again!

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2296 - 04/08/2019 09:54:03    2220438

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "We do give a crap about Connacht. When Horan came in the first time he said he wanted to take the crap out of mayo fooball and make us competitive in every game...bar Kerry a few weeks ago and I think fatigue played a part, this Mayo team die with their boots on and while we are a laughing stock to to the rest of the country, I really don't care cause of they give theirs all what more can you ask?

Galway in my opinion have the footballers to be right up there and possibly win Sam soon but ye need the right attitude and people on the sideline...just my 2 cents.

We will likely go out next weekend but just glad our older warriors will bow out on the big stage."
The hunger and drive in that Mayo team is a joy to watch. I was down at the Armagh game in castlebar and you can even sense that drive in their support. If I'm honest it was the supporters that got them over the line. To look at this another way if Armagh won that game (and imo they were very unlucky with a few decisions etc) that is as far as they would go. On the other hand Mayo were always going to give it EVERYTHING to come out of the group. And although Mayo are not as good now as they were 3 or 4 years ago this hunger and drive will not see them collapse. I wouldn't rule Mayo out they have a manager with drive and passion, they have players with drive and passion, they have supporters with drive and passion. Those 3 ingredients are missing in Galway football.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 172 - 04/08/2019 11:01:21    2220480

Link

Replying To Galway2001:  "I have heard it from 2 very reliable sources that Kevin and co are not going for another year so we have to start by looking for a new management team anyway. I would let Pjand the boys have a go at it"
How could you let the u20 management team take over after the shambles against Dublin?? Galway would end up in division 2 pj is nowhere near ready who knows if he ever will be.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 04/08/2019 11:15:00    2220486

Link

Shutter to think if we were in Castlebar as the opposition. Although it pains me to say it i wouldn't write them off versus Dublin. Dying wi2there boots on is putting it mildly. Every Galway footballer should be made watch that display over and over again.

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 04/08/2019 11:49:31    2220510

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "What is has to do with Galway is that we were going around patting ourselves on the back for finally gaining the upper hand over the last few years only to find now that we are as far away from them as ever. They don't give a crap about Connacht and only have eyes for the big prize. When the chips are down at the business end of the championship they have the bottle to grasp victory. We on the other hand go out with a whimper. They have big game intelligence which I feel we will never have regardless of who manages us. Need a few more plasterers, farmers and bricklayers in the team who will give the hits that heats the blood. Too many shirts and ties playing for Galway these days"
Connacht title gets you into Super 8, Mayo wanted it but the free kick by McLoughlin was the difference. Galway need to go for it in 2020. Hard to see anyone stopping the Dubs this year, Mayo are in the same spot we were in 12 months ago. I agree that we should have been in the Super 8 but we lost to Mayo. Beating Mayo is always good for us. Both counties are not as far apart as posters here think.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1282 - 04/08/2019 11:55:43    2220513

Link

Replying To Toman:  "The hunger and drive in that Mayo team is a joy to watch. I was down at the Armagh game in castlebar and you can even sense that drive in their support. If I'm honest it was the supporters that got them over the line. To look at this another way if Armagh won that game (and imo they were very unlucky with a few decisions etc) that is as far as they would go. On the other hand Mayo were always going to give it EVERYTHING to come out of the group. And although Mayo are not as good now as they were 3 or 4 years ago this hunger and drive will not see them collapse. I wouldn't rule Mayo out they have a manager with drive and passion, they have players with drive and passion, they have supporters with drive and passion. Those 3 ingredients are missing in Galway football."
Where was the 'hunger & drive', when they collapsed in Kerry last month? Donegal didn't match Mayo's need last night. Mayo didn't match Kerry's last month. Limerick didn't quite match KK's a week ago, especially at the start. It happens all the time.

It'll be tough for Mayo, from here on out. They won't get the midfield platform that they enjoyed last night v Dublin or Kerry, and then they will struggle for scores. Mayo still have possibly the best bunch of footballing defenders in the game, even with Boyle & Higgins in decline. It's up front that they won't cut it, especially when midfield becomes more competitive for them than it proved to be last night.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2296 - 04/08/2019 12:25:49    2220535

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Where was the 'hunger & drive', when they collapsed in Kerry last month? Donegal didn't match Mayo's need last night. Mayo didn't match Kerry's last month. Limerick didn't quite match KK's a week ago, especially at the start. It happens all the time.

It'll be tough for Mayo, from here on out. They won't get the midfield platform that they enjoyed last night v Dublin or Kerry, and then they will struggle for scores. Mayo still have possibly the best bunch of footballing defenders in the game, even with Boyle & Higgins in decline. It's up front that they won't cut it, especially when midfield becomes more competitive for them than it proved to be last night."
If only we had Michael Murphy or a Padraig Joyce...reckon we would have won an All Ireland if we had a forward of that Calibre.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9879 - 04/08/2019 13:04:34    2220564

Link

Replying To Toman:  "The hunger and drive in that Mayo team is a joy to watch. I was down at the Armagh game in castlebar and you can even sense that drive in their support. If I'm honest it was the supporters that got them over the line. To look at this another way if Armagh won that game (and imo they were very unlucky with a few decisions etc) that is as far as they would go. On the other hand Mayo were always going to give it EVERYTHING to come out of the group. And although Mayo are not as good now as they were 3 or 4 years ago this hunger and drive will not see them collapse. I wouldn't rule Mayo out they have a manager with drive and passion, they have players with drive and passion, they have supporters with drive and passion. Those 3 ingredients are missing in Galway football."
They have some great leaders which we dont have
they are a credit to there county

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1048 - 04/08/2019 13:23:42    2220574

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Shutter to think if we were in Castlebar as the opposition. Although it pains me to say it i wouldn't write them off versus Dublin. Dying wi2there boots on is putting it mildly. Every Galway footballer should be made watch that display over and over again."
Too right - unlike our prima Donna, no need for ear phones there...

But there is a pattern to these displays:
Mayo v. good v Galway - terrible v Kerry.
Kerry/Donegal excellent game last week - both produced lacklustre displays yesterday.

Dublin will stroll through game in Omagh - Mayo will have to give a 5 star performance to beat them. I'm not going to write battlers like Boyler, Leroy, Harry and O'Se off just yet, especially with Parsons, D. O'Connor and Ruane approaching full fitness...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 331 - 04/08/2019 14:37:54    2220609

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "If only we had Michael Murphy or a Padraig Joyce...reckon we would have won an All Ireland if we had a forward of that Calibre."
It's all Mayo have ever lacked. That rare once in decade marquee forward. Had one over the last seven eight years along with what ye have I would be decent money Mayo would of got over the line. Couple of the wides yesterday one by Keegan (in fairness to him is a defender) and the one in the first half that was in front of goals simply can't be missed.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 441 - 04/08/2019 15:14:33    2220630

Link

Replying To Galway2001:  "I have heard it from 2 very reliable sources that Kevin and co are not going for another year so we have to start by looking for a new management team anyway. I would let Pjand the boys have a go at it"
Ten members of the squad went to KWs house to ask him to stay. Not sure your source is reliable.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 441 - 04/08/2019 15:15:32    2220631

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Ten members of the squad went to KWs house to ask him to stay. Not sure your source is reliable."
Am I missing something here but is it not County board who ratify the County managers for the following and each year. In fairness Kevin had his chance. I still believe there is a decent squad that can be made up from current panel. That plus the good u21 team of 2 years ago plus trying out more corofin and m/below and other clubs lads why not

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 172 - 04/08/2019 18:45:25    2220742

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Am I missing something here but is it not County board who ratify the County managers for the following and each year. In fairness Kevin had his chance. I still believe there is a decent squad that can be made up from current panel. That plus the good u21 team of 2 years ago plus trying out more corofin and m/below and other clubs lads why not"
He has another year on his term, so there's nothing to ratify. If he wants to stay, he'll be the senior manager next year.
I think he has taken us as far as he can, but it'll be his own decision at this point.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 565 - 04/08/2019 19:36:26    2220799

Link