Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Yondu:  "PJ taking the the FBD serious as he's new to county senior management and will be determined to win a trophy on Saturday.

With that in mind I think he'll start the strongest possible Galway 15 at the moment for this final. Missing will be the few currently injured and the few Corofin players that PJ will deem starters for Galway in the year ahead.

Predicted starting 15 for Saturday and I'd expect the majority of this team to start in the opening NFL games.

Conor Gleeson
Seán Andy Kelly Gary O Donnell Johnny Duane
Gareth Bradshaw John Daly Cillian McDaid
Tom Flynn Paul Conroy
Seán Kelly Michael Daly Éamon Branigan
Adrian Varley Damien Comer Shane Walsh.

Robert Finnerty after his 1-9 for NUIG yesterday might start also. Fintan O Laoi, Céin Darcy I'd expect to feature as well."
That full back line on a pacey division 1 full forward line could go horribly wrong.

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 13/01/2020 20:44:12    2259529

Link

Replying To Yondu:  "PJ taking the the FBD serious as he's new to county senior management and will be determined to win a trophy on Saturday.

With that in mind I think he'll start the strongest possible Galway 15 at the moment for this final. Missing will be the few currently injured and the few Corofin players that PJ will deem starters for Galway in the year ahead.

Predicted starting 15 for Saturday and I'd expect the majority of this team to start in the opening NFL games.

Conor Gleeson
Seán Andy Kelly Gary O Donnell Johnny Duane
Gareth Bradshaw John Daly Cillian McDaid
Tom Flynn Paul Conroy
Seán Kelly Michael Daly Éamon Branigan
Adrian Varley Damien Comer Shane Walsh.

Robert Finnerty after his 1-9 for NUIG yesterday might start also. Fintan O Laoi, Céin Darcy I'd expect to feature as well."
Not a Notion will that team be picked.... why will players change from last Sunday's positions and starters!!? We don't need Sean Andy to start or comer... leave the starting 15 and positions the same.... I think it's antaine o laoi not Fintan!!
Leave Conroy in at corner forward and move comer out to centre field....if there was to be a change at centre field on Saturday...

Maybe bring in some of nuig lads that be about it...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 13/01/2020 20:54:11    2259533

Link

I would doubt he move Brannigan up 2 the forwards agsin after 1 game wing back could see Conor Campbell getting some game time at corner back and same with rob Finnerty

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 399 - 13/01/2020 21:22:39    2259543

Link

After all the chat still no team from 5 to 12 picked.

3inarowsham (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 13/01/2020 21:25:43    2259549

Link

Replying To 3inarowsham:  "After all the chat still no team from 5 to 12 picked."
I mentioned some of mine earlier

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 13/01/2020 22:06:14    2259566

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Not a Notion will that team be picked.... why will players change from last Sunday's positions and starters!!? We don't need Sean Andy to start or comer... leave the starting 15 and positions the same.... I think it's antaine o laoi not Fintan!!
Leave Conroy in at corner forward and move comer out to centre field....if there was to be a change at centre field on Saturday...

Maybe bring in some of nuig lads that be about it..."
Team for the League

1. Gleeson
2. E.Kerin ?
3. D. Cunnane
4 L. Silke
5. D. Wall
6. J Daly
7. C McDaid
8. R Steede
9. K. Molloy
10. S.Walsh
11. D. Comer
12. M. Tierney
13. I. Burke
14. M. Farragher
15. A. Varley

1951andwaiting (Galway) - Posts: 46 - 14/01/2020 00:05:36    2259592

Link

New goalkeeper played well was always willing to take ball off the backs.. GOD as always steady... Mcdaid and Brannigan look like 2 Players that were on there last chance... Boyle and kelly not up to it... great passion on the line...

John789 (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 14/01/2020 00:44:36    2259597

Link

Gleeson done the business will hold his spot, unless they bring in O'Beolain
Murray might be cup tied due to playing Fresher for NUIG.
GOD will stay.
Heaney could be an injury concern and that might see Campbell come in. V good vs UCC
Brannigan, Daly and McDaid will stay
Will expect Darcy to join Flynn in Midfield, was immense for NUIG
Could be a shake up here in the half forward line.
Daly to hold onto 11 jersey.
Would love to see Finnerty tried at full forward. Expect Varley to start. Conroy might lose out unless they move Shane to the Half forward line.

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 78 - 14/01/2020 08:17:06    2259611

Link

The positives from Sunday were, getting a draw from a losing position, always a good sign, S Walsh and Varley,thriving under the more attacking system,Gleeson looks like He could be a decent prospect,well done Liam Costello for showing up when needed. I see divided opinion here on Gary o Donnell, The fact is He had a torrid day and got a roasting from Reape, its to his credit that He won The turnover for The equaliser, as well as getting in a couple of blocks, not The answer for full back long term, but no worse than Sean Andy has been, going to be a problem area for PJ. Flynn and FC didn't really get going at midfield, No mark taken by either. Can't imagine any other div 1 team bar Mayo coughing up a lead like that, They really do have a problem closing out games, however on paper they have a lot more established players to come back than We do,think They only started 3 of The team that beat Us in Limerick. How many do We have to add?
3/4 Corofin, maybe 3/4 Nuig, think if We go into The championship as a div 1 team We'll be doing very well. To finish, well done to Paul Conroy on his comeback and best wishes to Fintan o Curraoin and Johnny Heaney.

2hops (Galway) - Posts: 53 - 14/01/2020 09:22:40    2259621

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I wouldn't be convinced that Gary is the answer in the number 3 shirt. To me he lacks the pace needed in the fullback line.
He's a quality player but just don't think he is suited to the inside line."
He's there in anticipation of forthcoming forward mark scenarios later in the season. The panel were tested on 100m sprints last December and Gary's results were in the top 4, along with Heaney, Brannigan and McDaid. Mobility testing was also carried out. That data was used in establishing the basis for releasing some members of last years panel.

PopeFrancis19 (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 14/01/2020 09:43:10    2259623

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "1 fbd game. Theres no position filled every spot is up for grabs"
Walsh is guaranteed his spot too. Full forward line of Varley, Walsh, comer would be lethal if they got good ball.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 362 - 14/01/2020 09:51:53    2259627

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Not a Notion will that team be picked.... why will players change from last Sunday's positions and starters!!? We don't need Sean Andy to start or comer... leave the starting 15 and positions the same.... I think it's antaine o laoi not Fintan!!

Maybe bring in some of nuig lads that be about it..."
Antaine Ó Laoi had a good league last year for Galway, Finian Ó Laoi scored 3 points from play for NUIGalway against a good UCC in Siggerson at the weekend. Could be either in fairness!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 14/01/2020 10:21:56    2259639

Link

Replying To PopeFrancis19:  "He's there in anticipation of forthcoming forward mark scenarios later in the season. The panel were tested on 100m sprints last December and Gary's results were in the top 4, along with Heaney, Brannigan and McDaid. Mobility testing was also carried out. That data was used in establishing the basis for releasing some members of last years panel."
I guarantee O'Donnell wouldn't be in the top 4 over the first 10m which is something imperative for a defender.

I reckon O'Donnell is a great character to have around the dressing room and will be very useful during the league but I'd worry about him during the summer, think we're fairly well stocked in the half back line with McDaid, Daly, Molloy, Silke & Sean Kelly. Full back line is clearly the biggest issue along with kick out strategy.

TheBishop (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 14/01/2020 10:50:05    2259652

Link

Predicted league line up

1. Gleeson
2. Liam silke
3. Gary o donnell
4. Heaney
5. Kieran Molloy
6. John Daly
7. Cillian Mcdaid
8. Tom Flynn
9. Ronan Steede
10. Paul Conroy
11. Michael Daly
12. Damian Comer
13. Robert Finnerty
14. Shane Walsh
15. Adrian Varley

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 14/01/2020 11:02:54    2259657

Link

Galway team for 2020

1 C Glesson
2 L Silke
3 G O D
4 J Heaney
5 K Molloy
6 D Mchugh
7 C Silke
8 R Steede
9 D Burke
10 I Burke
11 Mike Farrragher
12 M Tierney
13 A Varley
14 D Comer
15 P Conroy

G O D captain great leader , 8 Corofin players all winners, 1 Dunmore,1 Tuam. 1 Milltown ,1 Oughterard,1 Killanin, 1 Annaghdown,1 st James ,all play Galway senior club football.

Plus as you all know 8 will contest this year All Ireland Club Final which should not be overlooked.

3inarowsham (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 14/01/2020 12:53:12    2259691

Link

Replying To 3inarowsham:  "Galway team for 2020

1 C Glesson
2 L Silke
3 G O D
4 J Heaney
5 K Molloy
6 D Mchugh
7 C Silke
8 R Steede
9 D Burke
10 I Burke
11 Mike Farrragher
12 M Tierney
13 A Varley
14 D Comer
15 P Conroy

G O D captain great leader , 8 Corofin players all winners, 1 Dunmore,1 Tuam. 1 Milltown ,1 Oughterard,1 Killanin, 1 Annaghdown,1 st James ,all play Galway senior club football.

Plus as you all know 8 will contest this year All Ireland Club Final which should not be overlooked."
i presume you mean 1 Cortoon Shamrocks (an intermediate club), rather than Milltown?
dylan mchugh at 6 for galway is surely a joke
daithi should concentrate on hurling for intercounty
dunmore are intermediate too
i hope for your own sake this is a joke account/post.

GalwaysFinest (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 14/01/2020 13:32:56    2259700

Link

Galway will be in trouble if O'Donnell is the full back for the year. Nothing against him but he's just not a full-back. I don't really see too many options for the position bar hoping Sean Andy is in better shape this year and has a return to form.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1741 - 14/01/2020 13:41:50    2259703

Link

Replying To 3inarowsham:  "Galway team for 2020

1 C Glesson
2 L Silke
3 G O D
4 J Heaney
5 K Molloy
6 D Mchugh
7 C Silke
8 R Steede
9 D Burke
10 I Burke
11 Mike Farrragher
12 M Tierney
13 A Varley
14 D Comer
15 P Conroy

Plus as you all know 8 will contest this year All Ireland Club Final which should not be overlooked."
And people think I'm a wind up merchant. Despite his lack of leadership qualities I still know Shane Walsh is worth a place on the team.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 14/01/2020 13:44:11    2259704

Link

A O' Laoi looked a nice player to me whenever I saw him.
It looks like there is a lot of places up-for-grabs and we'll have plenty of football in us. I just hope we have enough defenders that can do their primary roles as I expect we have plenty of attackers.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 908 - 14/01/2020 15:35:33    2259727

Link

Replying To John789:  "New goalkeeper played well was always willing to take ball off the backs.. GOD as always steady... Mcdaid and Brannigan look like 2 Players that were on there last chance... Boyle and kelly not up to it... great passion on the line..."
McDaid is 21, has played about 4 games for Galway and was one of the few bright sparks of last season. How on earth would he be on his last chance?

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 109 - 14/01/2020 15:43:54    2259729

Link