Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To togoutlads:  "Well it's only January but that was the finest afternoons sport in a long was time. Great craic! Poor FOC and Johnny - hope they're ok. For the couple of naysayers about Shane Walsh on this forum, what was it he got again today lads? 1, 2...oh yeah 10 Points and a Penalty :-)"
Ya Walsh class also a few doubters on GOD were answered. Very impressed with Gleason in goal to keep his nerve and save penalty retake. Great atmosphere and great crowds for a January fbd game. Have to finish on saying its great to see Comer back. Hope Brannigan and O, Currain are ok.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 397 - 12/01/2020 17:36:29    2259134

Link

McHale park... The unbeaten run continues there

It's only January but great that Walsh first game as a captain went well for him.

Hoping heaney and FOC have speedy recoveries.
FOC seems to spend most of his time injured unfortunately. Hes a great talent and I hope he bounces back quick enough from this.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1102 - 12/01/2020 18:10:26    2259151

Link

Was like a carbon copy of last years Fbd match, Good start to the year! Hopefully a long year ahead!

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 43 - 12/01/2020 19:50:12    2259192

Link

Pj's find of the year so far is our new goalie... class best I've seen in a very long time... I'll go back as far as the Martin Mc days!

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 12/01/2020 20:20:29    2259207

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Pj's find of the year so far is our new goalie... class best I've seen in a very long time... I'll go back as far as the Martin Mc days!"
He certainly earned his crust today! And when you consider the total haimes made of this position over the last few years, this addition marks an auspicious start to PJs reign.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2852 - 12/01/2020 20:45:11    2259227

Link

Great to see a strong team selection and then realise that there are still a few to re join the panel! Exciting times ahead!

MountainSouth (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 12/01/2020 20:46:38    2259228

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Pj's find of the year so far is our new goalie... class best I've seen in a very long time... I'll go back as far as the Martin Mc days!"
really good on the shot stopping but his and the teams overall approach to kick outs needs to be addressed. before anyone jumps on me i know its early season but punts down the middle need to be a bit more cultured as the year goes on.
very sorry to see fiontan go off on a stretcher- has had a real tough time of it with injuries and i wish him well coming back.
heaney was standing watching the pens so he seems to be fine thankfully.

the effect comer had when he came on was massive- such a loss last year and he looked like he was moving well if not at fighting weight yet
roll on to roscommon and keep giving players chances to impress... plenty to be positive and excited about

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 12/01/2020 21:33:14    2259240

Link

Replying To Toman:  "For those not fluent in Irish that translates as following..As I sit here in Castlebar before the game I have seen something. An account of Fenterán Ó Curraoin, Mícheál Ó Domhnaill and Aoifeéir Bhreathnach from the Connemara Gaeltacht who are using their names in Irish only on the program. It is shameful that the English version is used by St Anne and Carna Cashel players. Do something about this !!"
Go raibh maith agat trying to translate my messege Toman. I think you need a few lessons in English again unfortunately. Maybe we could meet in "Pierce" the next day for the first lesson. Comhghairdeas le Gaillimh inniu.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 676 - 12/01/2020 22:35:16    2259255

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Well it's only January but that was the finest afternoons sport in a long was time. Great craic! Poor FOC and Johnny - hope they're ok. For the couple of naysayers about Shane Walsh on this forum, what was it he got again today lads? 1, 2...oh yeah 10 Points and a Penalty :-)"
Great point. More big game excellence from Walsh. Where are the naysayers now?

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 464 - 12/01/2020 22:54:53    2259258

Link

New Goalkeeper has great stature. He looked imposing in the Goal for the penalties and during the game, he seems happy to be an outlet for a defender who may have been caught in possession and looked assured in that role. Mayo though retained possession much better from kick outs than we did. That's not simply down to goalkeeper I know but it looked like something that requires more work on the training ground and off course it would in January.
I'd say we'll have an eventful year with match officials and one of our selectors.
Desperate to See Fintán getting injured again. I was in the stand and knew instantly it was serious as it was clear he was out cold. He's been desperately unlucky. I hope he'll be okay.

Connemaraman (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 12/01/2020 23:17:32    2259262

Link

A great days craic, that was better than a ten point win. Mr Joyce as promised gave us attacking football and a never give up attitude. Delighted for Varley also, a super lad.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 394 - 12/01/2020 23:27:03    2259263

Link

Varley and Conroy caused some damage inside today. Varley couldn't buy a free but kept plugging away and as the ground drys up he'll only get better. Shane Walsh had a great game and I was happy with GOD's performance as well. Fair play to Gleeson for doing the business as well - you almost feel like he's in control of the penalty and not the taker!

Mayo learned their lesson from the league game in MacHale last year and actually put us to the sword while we had a player sin binned. I think that sin bin combined with us missing FOC's presence gave them momentum but bar that 15 minute spell we were the better team.

A few things to be tightened up at the back and just maybe get a bit cuter, but overall it was lovely to see the early ball kick passed in front and quickly popped off. Joyce will get the NUIG lads back for next weekend and the Corofin lads for maybe the 2nd game of the league, so he has a great plenty to work with. Suspect the Tierneys from Oughterard will be involved as well. Not seen much of them but hear great things.

Wishing a speedy recovery to Heaney and FOC also.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 13/01/2020 00:29:43    2259267

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "To my knowledge he's started 6 games there. Had a very good game against Kerry OF 2014 scoring 3 from play aged 20. A good game Vs Kildare in 2017 scoring 3 from play. A very poor game Vs Kerry 2017 QF. An ok game Vs Dublin 2018 league scoring 1 from play and 2 great frees. Sunday game Man of the match versus Kerry 2018 Super 8s. An ok game versus Dublin 2018 semi final, scoring 1-1 from play. So whatever narrative you want to spin, the facts don't back it up"
First of all forget league games. Proper teams are just going through the motions in those. The goal in the 1-1 v Dublin in 2018 was scored when the game was well and truly over and SW knew it was safe to come back out of hiding. Where was he when Galway players were looking around for someone to take the penalty that day? It probably took him too long to decide whether taking it with his left or right would get most media attention. Not a leadership bone in his body.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 13/01/2020 08:47:33    2259294

Link

Replying To festinog:  "You were saying?"
Is something proven? Are you going to base your argument on an FBD league game? Long way from Kerry and Dublin in Croke Park! Where was this performance in Limerick last July?

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 13/01/2020 08:58:43    2259299

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Great point. More big game excellence from Walsh. Where are the naysayers now?"
Big game? It's January. It's the FBD league. He proved today he can take a penalty so where was he when we were going out of the championship because of missed penalties the last 2 years?

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 13/01/2020 09:03:11    2259301

Link

Super start to the PJ Tenure. Gaillimh Abu

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 13/01/2020 09:04:57    2259303

Link

Unfortunately had to cancel plans to travel to this at the very last minute - it seems it was a good days entertainment.
For lads that were at the game - how did GOD get on at full back?
Aside from Shane - anyone else stand out for us?
From reading messages above it seems that winning our own kickouts were an issue - hopefully this will be addressed as it was a big issues over the last few seasons as well.
Will be interesting to see what Gleeson is like - nobody can be judged on a single game so the league will tell a tale there, he plays outfield for Dunmore.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 13/01/2020 09:24:27    2259306

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Go raibh maith agat trying to translate my messege Toman. I think you need a few lessons in English again unfortunately. Maybe we could meet in "Pierce" the next day for the first lesson. Comhghairdeas le Gaillimh inniu."
On a similar note, it is very disappointing when the programmes do not give the full names of the GAA Clubs. For example, we often see Salthill as oppose to Salthill/Knocknacarra, Oranmore as oppose to Oranmore/Maree, Mountbellew as oppose to Mountbellew Moylough, and I am sure there are numerous other examples.

galwaylad89 (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 13/01/2020 09:48:20    2259310

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "Big game? It's January. It's the FBD league. He proved today he can take a penalty so where was he when we were going out of the championship because of missed penalties the last 2 years?"
Look we all know its January and its only FBD. It could well happen that Galway have a bad season, but hopefully not. Most people on this forum are delighted wit the win. There always a few whingers who seem to be waiting for Galway to fail. I think those patrons should stop whining and get behind PJ and team. Otherwise set up a doom and gloom form for yourselfs.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 397 - 13/01/2020 09:56:58    2259312

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "First of all forget league games. Proper teams are just going through the motions in those. The goal in the 1-1 v Dublin in 2018 was scored when the game was well and truly over and SW knew it was safe to come back out of hiding. Where was he when Galway players were looking around for someone to take the penalty that day? It probably took him too long to decide whether taking it with his left or right would get most media attention. Not a leadership bone in his body."
Ah will you stop acting like a troll! Unbelievable negativity from you in multiple posts. Isn't it obvious that our whole setup and playing style in previous years simply didn't allow for the likes of SW to cut loose and play to their full potential, maximising their skill set. Now he and others can. Hopefully Shane can build on this and show the necessary consistency.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 13/01/2020 10:18:10    2259316

Link