Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

He would be ok in a big match coming on for last 10 mins, with London or New York match being the exception.

3inarowsham (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 09/01/2020 15:49:47    2258445

Link

I for one agree Shane Walsh as captain he is without doubt our best player, he is the player that opposing manager worries about most when playing Galway , we in Galway have a bad habit of running down our own players there is not a county in Ireland including Dublin who would not take Shane Walsh let's not start knocking this group of players before a ball is even kicked ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 399 - 09/01/2020 16:45:29    2258463

Link

Replying To 3inarowsham:  "Its not my criteria, take Kerry in Football & Kilkenny in Hurling, its their policy to select their inter County captaincy from a senior club."
That's not the policy in Galway though - so it IS your criteria.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 09/01/2020 16:53:47    2258467

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I for one agree Shane Walsh as captain he is without doubt our best player, he is the player that opposing manager worries about most when playing Galway , we in Galway have a bad habit of running down our own players there is not a county in Ireland including Dublin who would not take Shane Walsh let's not start knocking this group of players before a ball is even kicked ,,"
Which Dublin forward would you drop for this big game invisible man then?

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 09/01/2020 17:06:29    2258472

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "Which Dublin forward would you drop for this big game invisible man then?"
Don't think he said he would start for Dublin. He said 'would take' which is true, SW would certainly be on the Dublin panel

Flemenstar200 (Galway) - Posts: 13 - 09/01/2020 19:14:18    2258503

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "Which Dublin forward would you drop for this big game invisible man then?"
You've proven his point that we always run down our own players by proceeding to run down our own players. Shane is a massive talent whose consistency has been an issue but it has improved and this is a new season hes obviously consistent in training and challenges . We should be glad of this. The captain was always going to be a player who has been around several years and is likely to start every game with Comer only coming back from injury I dont think Shane is that surprising.

How about we see how he does as a captain before writing him off. You might end up being right but Hopefully he does well

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1106 - 09/01/2020 19:16:59    2258504

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I for one agree Shane Walsh as captain he is without doubt our best player, he is the player that opposing manager worries about most when playing Galway , we in Galway have a bad habit of running down our own players there is not a county in Ireland including Dublin who would not take Shane Walsh let's not start knocking this group of players before a ball is even kicked ,,"
I like the fact that PJ is putting a lot of thought into team selection
and picking shane walsh as captain is a way of giving shane more responsibility
and maybe get him to be more reliable as a player and get more out of him
Picking players in new positions is thinking outside the box
I don't think weve had enough of that over the years
Looking forward to interesting times ahead under the legend that is PJ

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1136 - 09/01/2020 19:17:55    2258506

Link

Pj will be out all out Sunday to win his first competitive game & especially against our biggest rivals

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 09/01/2020 20:19:35    2258524

Link

he hasnt shown leadership capabilities before but maybe giving him the captaincy will tap into that...provided he doesnt try and continue to do it all on his own as he has in the past
might be no harm taking the pressure away from comer eventhough id say he would have liked to keep hold of the arm band with last being a wipe out for him really

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 09/01/2020 21:20:14    2258533

Link

Delighted for Shane Walsh. An amazing talent, brings a true X factor, now hitting his prime and the responsibility of captain will bring him on further. SW would walk on to any starting team in my opinion, including Dublin - who would know exactly how to maximize his amazing skill set and speed. PJ, JD and JC will also know how to maximize what Walsh has to offer Galway. More power to you Shane Walsh.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 09/01/2020 21:31:57    2258536

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "I like the fact that PJ is putting a lot of thought into team selection
and picking shane walsh as captain is a way of giving shane more responsibility
and maybe get him to be more reliable as a player and get more out of him
Picking players in new positions is thinking outside the box
I don't think weve had enough of that over the years
Looking forward to interesting times ahead under the legend that is PJ"
agree. The team PJ has picked is probably as strong as is available with signerson on same day and the two corofin lads out with club AI semi the following week. On top of this Comer and Duggan in recovery. Some people on this forum seem to think because it's a new manager he should wave a wand and have EVERYONE on the panel available.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 402 - 09/01/2020 21:34:14    2258537

Link

Niall Scully for one

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 09/01/2020 21:34:30    2258538

Link

Overly negative contribution

PopeFrancis19 (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 09/01/2020 23:55:44    2258584

Link

Should be a handy enough win. Mayo very inexperienced team out as opposed to ours full of vetern campaigners. Great to see conroy back.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 237 - 10/01/2020 08:51:00    2258598

Link

This Galway team will beat Mayo on Sunday. With NUIG and Corofin lads to come back into the panel, I expect us to have a very competitive panel when it comes to league and champ.

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 78 - 10/01/2020 10:19:24    2258623

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "Should be a handy enough win. Mayo very inexperienced team out as opposed to ours full of vetern campaigners. Great to see conroy back."
Mayo have plenty of experience in that team, Hennelly, Durcan, Parsons, Mc Loughlin, Harrison, O Connor, Loftus, are all around for years, added to some of the younger lads who are now in their 3/4 seasons.

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 181 - 10/01/2020 10:55:10    2258639

Link

Get Kyne back
Only defender to turnover Mayo players in Limerick last July
Possibly centre back ???

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 10/01/2020 11:15:50    2258643

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Delighted for Shane Walsh. An amazing talent, brings a true X factor, now hitting his prime and the responsibility of captain will bring him on further. SW would walk on to any starting team in my opinion, including Dublin - who would know exactly how to maximize his amazing skill set and speed. PJ, JD and JC will also know how to maximize what Walsh has to offer Galway. More power to you Shane Walsh."
And what about MC Ó Domhnaill?? To be honest Walsh isn't captain material for me, I wouldn't have chosen him for numerous reasons.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 677 - 10/01/2020 11:47:32    2258652

Link

A lot of people on here on about Shane Walsh shouldn't have got captaincy. Shortly put what do any of ye know better about Walsh's character than the men around him day in day out at t raining and games? The qualities of a captain aren't only on the pitch. He could be very involved in the core of the team and is one of the more experienced players on the panel, and the one with definitely the most skill. Going into his prime years I think it's a great call by PJ to put the responsibility and trust on Walsh. Could bring out the best of him in the coming year. Don't hate on him before he even gets a chance to show himself as an example to other players.

galwaylad430 (Galway) - Posts: 3 - 10/01/2020 12:22:38    2258672

Link

very exciting half back line looking forward to Brannigan and mcdaid getting up and down the pitch, up there with th best engines in the country , worth a try at half backand see how they get on

galwayfan99 (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 10/01/2020 12:33:17    2258680

Link