Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To togoutlads:  "Agreed. Furthermore, if memory serves, John Divilly managed Maynooth to two Sigersons, as well as the 2 he has won with UCD. A great coach and footballing brain, and a battle-hardened motivator that young guys sit up and listen to. It would be shambolic if Galway lose Divilly's skills to other counties. We need him on board.
Regarding the u20's, they achieved quite a lot this year and it's fairly widely held that next years group will be better. PJ, Divo and Sammon need to be kept together and work up to Senior. They have the skill set, gravitas and will to win that, coupled with a talented panel, can make serious impact in the next few years. Plus, I'm convinced they'll help bring the crowds back at senior level."
The U-20's had a very good year despite losing the semi-final. Comfortably won Connacht. Must be remembered that this group lost to Cavan I think in the minor quarter-finals a couple years ago so they are not exactly world beaters. And since then they've lost Evan Murphy to serious injury. Arguably their best player.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1659 - 30/07/2019 14:37:20    2218754

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "The fact that you even posed that question shows that you know nothing about football."
What have they achieved as coaches? Divilly was over a UCD team with stars from all over the country. Anyone would win with a team like that. Sammon has written a coaching manual but what has he achieved at top level as a coach? He is one of these media friendly nice guys that nobody is allowed criticise. Did he coach Caherlistrane for a while? Did he win anything? Did he improve them? Divilly has coached at club level in Kildare. So what! I dont think Kildare are after him to be their next manager. What did he do for his own club Kilkerrin Clonberne?

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 147 - 30/07/2019 21:12:51    2218883

Link

Replying To crafty:  "What have they achieved as coaches? Divilly was over a UCD team with stars from all over the country. Anyone would win with a team like that. Sammon has written a coaching manual but what has he achieved at top level as a coach? He is one of these media friendly nice guys that nobody is allowed criticise. Did he coach Caherlistrane for a while? Did he win anything? Did he improve them? Divilly has coached at club level in Kildare. So what! I dont think Kildare are after him to be their next manager. What did he do for his own club Kilkerrin Clonberne?"
Divilly has a very good record as a coach and manager and has gained great experience. UCD lads have good time for him.. Salmon was a great coach in his day and owes Galway nothing. PJ is only starting out so another year at U20 for him in my view. All three have plenty to offer Galway but id say Sammon is only interested in an advisory role at this stage.

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 30/07/2019 21:52:25    2218914

Link

2 be honest I think those points make no sense really if that the criteria for being a good coach only Kevin o brien in Galway Jim Gavin at senior inter county would qualify not ever coach is fortunate enough 2 win things but all coaches who don't win make a difference in developing players only my opinion,,but 2 say John Divilly and Liam salmon not good coaches is a bit far off the mark again my opinion,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 337 - 30/07/2019 22:00:23    2218919

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Did you even watch the game? If you ever played game, you might realise that they were completely schooled. Who cares about john kerins cups do you really think people care who wins the FBD league. I think its clear its too soon for pj to get the top job after watching that game. All this propaganda about the style of play is rubbish i didnt see anything specal or out of the norm from this galway team"
The bottom line is that after losing thr semi final to Dublin, you ruled out any chance of PJ getting the senior job in the future after his first defeat. You also said they were badly coached. You are wrong on both counts in.my opinion. Divilly and Sammon are fine coaches. Anyone whose ever played the game would acknowledge that. There are plenty of clubs and counties who would love to get Divilly.

He's a very modest man who doesn't advertise the fact that he has had multiple approaches from clubs in Dublin and a few counties. We should be delighted that he's committed to the Galway u20s. Both men are loyal to Galway football. Sammon is probably there in an advisory capacity at this stage. Apart from his coaching skills, the man is a gentleman who has spent his whole life training teams at college, club and county level.

If you knew him you would realise, he has always had a great relationship with players he has coached in the past and thats the biggest compliment you can say about any coach. He has brilliant man management skills. He gets the best out of people. There's no screaming and roaring with that guy in dressing rooms. He gets his points across in a cool and measured fashion as does Divilly.

Both men believe in attacking football which is what most supporters want. You may lose the odd game which is always the risk when you go for it but it is the only way you are realistically going to win anything.

Dublin's game plan is attack orientated. That's how you win all Ireland's. Joyce realises that and sets his teams up to play like the Dubs. He's right to do that and should be complimented for his bravery in doing so as it can be risky. This year, Joyce was unlucky to lose a few players to injury most notably Evan Murphy from Salthill whose a class act and a future star. Hopefully that young lad will make a full recovery as he has a great future.

In relation to PJ's record as a coach. It's very impressive. Yes we lost to Dublin. So what. There's no shame in that. He won the John Kerin's cup and connacht title with ease. All in all his record stands at played 8 games, won the first 7 in a row and then lost one to Dublin who are the bookies favourites to win out the competition. He's done great work in his first year. Give the man a little credit. The same applies for Divilly and Sammon.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 31/07/2019 01:32:11    2218972

Link

Sammon was a great player and coach but the game has probably passed him out though it would be highly unlikely you have a team he'd be associated with playing "KevinBall".
Divilly, PJ and maybe Rochford would be my next management team which hopefully is sooner rather than later, we need KW out as he is almost single handedly destroying Galway football.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 31/07/2019 03:40:55    2218974

Link

I think Rochford with Donal O Flaharta and John Divilly would be a good ticket. Liam Sammon advising. Good S&C coach and we're laughing.

PJ can come in when he has more experience in 3 years.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 31/07/2019 14:37:24    2219113

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "2 be honest I think those points make no sense really if that the criteria for being a good coach only Kevin o brien in Galway Jim Gavin at senior inter county would qualify not ever coach is fortunate enough 2 win things but all coaches who don't win make a difference in developing players only my opinion,,but 2 say John Divilly and Liam salmon not good coaches is a bit far off the mark again my opinion,"
I don't think anyone is saying outright that they are not good coaches. However, there is a ludicrous level of hype being attached to this coaching set-up. They came in amid great excitement and it is getting out of control to the extent Joyce is being touted as our next manager.

The John Kerins Cup is about as useful as the FBD League yet you have posters here thinking it's the holy grail of U-20 football! I'm sure Dublin would love to swap their All-Ireland final place for the John Kerins Cup lads...

As mentioned on another thread, is it really such an achievement that we won the provincial title considering we won the last four Minor titles before this year? Either we have a superb selection of talent or the opposition are lacking. Maybe it is both but let's not get carried away in showering praise upon the coaches!

Another point I raised is why is Joyce and Co. getting all the plaudits when numerous management teams before them produced attacking U-21 sides? 3 people disliked my earlier post but couldn't exactly explain why! Mulholland, Flynn and Fahy from the last decade alone to name a few yet Joyce is the saviour Galway football is waiting for. Barely any mention is given to the man who oversaw the minor success of this squad, Donal O'Fahartha.

I'd much rather see Joyce test himself elsewhere for a while longer before I even consider anointing him the successor to Walsh or anyone else.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 31/07/2019 15:31:50    2219135

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "I don't think anyone is saying outright that they are not good coaches. However, there is a ludicrous level of hype being attached to this coaching set-up. They came in amid great excitement and it is getting out of control to the extent Joyce is being touted as our next manager.

The John Kerins Cup is about as useful as the FBD League yet you have posters here thinking it's the holy grail of U-20 football! I'm sure Dublin would love to swap their All-Ireland final place for the John Kerins Cup lads...

As mentioned on another thread, is it really such an achievement that we won the provincial title considering we won the last four Minor titles before this year? Either we have a superb selection of talent or the opposition are lacking. Maybe it is both but let's not get carried away in showering praise upon the coaches!

Another point I raised is why is Joyce and Co. getting all the plaudits when numerous management teams before them produced attacking U-21 sides? 3 people disliked my earlier post but couldn't exactly explain why! Mulholland, Flynn and Fahy from the last decade alone to name a few yet Joyce is the saviour Galway football is waiting for. Barely any mention is given to the man who oversaw the minor success of this squad, Donal O'Fahartha.

I'd much rather see Joyce test himself elsewhere for a while longer before I even consider anointing him the successor to Walsh or anyone else."
Agree with most of what you've said here. Just to note Donal O'Fahartha did not oversee the minor success of this year's U20 squad. That was Stephen Joyce. He had not been involved at U16 level which also had achieved success in Connacht under a different management team (Cosmas Gilmore, Kieran Collins & Diarmuid Lee). There's seems to be an element of "Recency Bias" feeding into discussions around who should and shouldn't be part of a coaching ticket for the senior team. It's important to remember that Donal O'Faharta was part of Alan Mulholland's senior management setup that was ridiculed for how poorly the senior team played under them. Now all of a sudden he's flavour of the month and being mentioned in relation to the senior setup again. I think he has done very well at minor level over the last 2 yrs but it's a huge leap from that to seniors. Padraig Joyce and his management team probably should stay another couple of years with the U20 squad and gain their county experience there before stepping up to senior if they wish to do so. He's going to make mistakes along the way as he develops his experience and knowledge of managing and coaching players. This is a completely different skillset to that which he had as a player. Senior management is not the place to be learning on the job. He'll get one chance at it, better to have learnt his lessons along the way prior to taking on the big role.
Some patience is needed. That wasn't a brilliant group of U20 players this year and it's not his fault that there is no full time S&C coach working with players coming through the Galway system from U15 onwards. Everyone wants the silver bullet of overnight success (we all want Galway to succeed) but we need to have the right people involved with the necessary expertise and not just at senior level.

galway2015 (Galway) - Posts: 12 - 31/07/2019 17:26:05    2219178

Link

Duly noted. Stephen Joyce has done great work. Even less is said of him (I'm guilty of this myself.)

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 31/07/2019 18:15:26    2219191

Link

I dont know why everyone is talking about new management, 9 inter county men have stepped down so far, actually 10, Meyler today, but our fella will stick with it..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 31/07/2019 20:01:08    2219218

Link

Any truth to the rumour of Rory Gallagher coming in as coach? We will get to see the full team lining out in the full backline if so!!!!

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 01/08/2019 11:47:30    2219383

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "I think Rochford with Donal O Flaharta and John Divilly would be a good ticket. Liam Sammon advising. Good S&C coach and we're laughing.

PJ can come in when he has more experience in 3 years."
Not sure about Sammon personally (I think he was class and all due respect to the man) I would love to see:

Ó Flaharta or Kevin O Brien (or a dual role management team with both) with a mix of Divilly/Alan Flynn/Rocheford in as coaches

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 01/08/2019 11:53:52    2219386

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Any truth to the rumour of Rory Gallagher coming in as coach? We will get to see the full team lining out in the full backline if so!!!!"
we would have 15 keepers

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1279 - 01/08/2019 12:15:19    2219392

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Not sure about Sammon personally (I think he was class and all due respect to the man) I would love to see:

Ó Flaharta or Kevin O Brien (or a dual role management team with both) with a mix of Divilly/Alan Flynn/Rocheford in as coaches"
Galway just dont have the players to win anything so it doesnt really matter who the coach is. However we should be playing a better brand of football and be a bit entertaining. We dont have one top class inter county player at present and the future looks bleak.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 147 - 01/08/2019 18:35:36    2219537

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Galway just dont have the players to win anything so it doesnt really matter who the coach is. However we should be playing a better brand of football and be a bit entertaining. We dont have one top class inter county player at present and the future looks bleak."
You're not too far wrong but wouldn't agree fully. We have no top class defenders and midfield but on their day Comer Walsh and Burke are players where the opposition has to think twice about how to handle them. Obviously that's not enough to contend and a better brand of football should be possible but that only comes with basic principles of style of play being developed throughout underages structures. But then that would imply a vision for that was in place.

westest (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 02/08/2019 10:19:51    2219670

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Sorry to disappoint you but PJ had a good year. Beaten in the All Ireland Semi by Dublin but otherthan that they unbeaten all year playing attacking football. A very good Dublin u20 side beat them. They'll win it out now. If you ever played the game, you might realise that sometimes you dont always win. No disgrace losing to that dublin side.

But in your eyes PJ is no longer an option for the top job. According to yourself, the u20 side were badly coached. Such nonsense. You do realise that they were coached by Divilly and Sammon. Are they bad coaches in your eyes ? These guys are widely respected as top football football coaches in the game and rightly so. They are a credit to Galway football.

Overall, it's been a good year for the u20's. They won the John Kerins cup and a Connacht title .The style of football has been a breath of fresh air. Thats the biggest positive we can take from it. So hard luck to PJ, his backroom team and the players who put in a huge amount of work. I'm sure they'll bounce back in style. Most supporters appreciate the massive effort and commitment shown by all involved."
"A very good Dublin u20 side beat them. They'll win it out now"

I THOUGHT YOU SAID DUBLIN WOULD WIN?

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 391 - 03/08/2019 17:14:14    2220119

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "The bottom line is that after losing thr semi final to Dublin, you ruled out any chance of PJ getting the senior job in the future after his first defeat. You also said they were badly coached. You are wrong on both counts in.my opinion. Divilly and Sammon are fine coaches. Anyone whose ever played the game would acknowledge that. There are plenty of clubs and counties who would love to get Divilly.

He's a very modest man who doesn't advertise the fact that he has had multiple approaches from clubs in Dublin and a few counties. We should be delighted that he's committed to the Galway u20s. Both men are loyal to Galway football. Sammon is probably there in an advisory capacity at this stage. Apart from his coaching skills, the man is a gentleman who has spent his whole life training teams at college, club and county level.

If you knew him you would realise, he has always had a great relationship with players he has coached in the past and thats the biggest compliment you can say about any coach. He has brilliant man management skills. He gets the best out of people. There's no screaming and roaring with that guy in dressing rooms. He gets his points across in a cool and measured fashion as does Divilly.

Both men believe in attacking football which is what most supporters want. You may lose the odd game which is always the risk when you go for it but it is the only way you are realistically going to win anything.

Dublin's game plan is attack orientated. That's how you win all Ireland's. Joyce realises that and sets his teams up to play like the Dubs. He's right to do that and should be complimented for his bravery in doing so as it can be risky. This year, Joyce was unlucky to lose a few players to injury most notably Evan Murphy from Salthill whose a class act and a future star. Hopefully that young lad will make a full recovery as he has a great future.

In relation to PJ's record as a coach. It's very impressive. Yes we lost to Dublin. So what. There's no shame in that. He won the John Kerin's cup and connacht title with ease. All in all his record stands at played 8 games, won the first 7 in a row and then lost one to Dublin who are the bookies favourites to win out the competition. He's done great work in his first year. Give the man a little credit. The same applies for Divilly and Sammon."
"you ruled out any chance of PJ getting the senior job in the future after his first defeat" Can you show me where i said that?

You are stating your opinions as facts
"There are plenty of clubs and counties who would love to get Divilly" can you name any?
"That's how you win all Ireland's" that is your opinion not a fact
"Joyce realises that and sets his teams up to play like the Dubs. He's right to do" that is your opinion not a fact
"Evan Murphy from Salthill whose a class act and a future star" that is your opinion not a fact

We are looking for football managers and coaches not men to marry our sisters
"He's a very modest man, the man is a gentleman, There's no screaming and roaring with that guy, are loyal"

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 391 - 03/08/2019 17:28:29    2220127

Link

But, but, but, they won the John Kerins Cup!

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 03/08/2019 19:46:41    2220211

Link

Replying To brisbane:  ""you ruled out any chance of PJ getting the senior job in the future after his first defeat" Can you show me where i said that?

You are stating your opinions as facts
"There are plenty of clubs and counties who would love to get Divilly" can you name any?
"That's how you win all Ireland's" that is your opinion not a fact
"Joyce realises that and sets his teams up to play like the Dubs. He's right to do" that is your opinion not a fact
"Evan Murphy from Salthill whose a class act and a future star" that is your opinion not a fact

We are looking for football managers and coaches not men to marry our sisters
"He's a very modest man, the man is a gentleman, There's no screaming and roaring with that guy, are loyal""
But Brisbane..... is all the following not just ur opinion or do u think ur word is gospel.
:We are looking for football managers and coaches not men to marry our sisters
"He's a very modest man, the man is a gentleman, There's no screaming and roaring with that guy, are loyal" ....uncote. My opinion for what its worth is PJ Joyce and Company need more time at under20. They still have to prove themselves. Although I do agree Divillys CV looks impressive. I would love to hear Belclares view on this.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 161 - 03/08/2019 19:50:19    2220215

Link