Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Sean Andy was fit last season and trained on well after recovering from injury. In reality he was playing within the confines of a packed 14 man defence where his size and mobility are effective; and on a reputation garnered on the back of one standout under 21 game against Dublin. However as the Roscommon and even Tyrone games showed, he is badly exposed when left one on one at senior level, as his man marking capacity is no where near the level required. However, time is still on his side, and he may yet be back before the league starts.

PopeFrancis19 (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 07/01/2020 18:27:20    2258029

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "if this is true it is worrying.... the modern player rightly or wrongly needs to be handled differently than the previous generation
if the guy wasnt right he shouldnt have had to play
equally we cant afford to be losing the like of him"
If theres truth in it its worrying to lose a player 2 months into training because of how he was treated by management. We werent there so we dont know who was in the wrong.

Respect needs to go both ways between players and management again. As they say in the GAA give respect get respect . It's not automatic

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1106 - 07/01/2020 20:04:39    2258045

Link

No idea if these are rumours or otherwise but with Cooke out due to career we cannot afford to be losing any other key players from that u21 season in 2017. These guys will soon become the spine of the team.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1674 - 07/01/2020 20:55:41    2258051

Link

No truth in rumour that Sean Andy gone off panel ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 399 - 07/01/2020 20:57:31    2258052

Link

Replying To GDL:  "Rubbish, who did you want? There is alway one who live to see people failing."
I certainly don't want to see them failing but I think the lack of experience will be crucial. Also I've heard several stories from the under 20 squad last year about very questionable managment of players. Senior players won't put up with some of the things that were being said to players last year. There definitely was an issue with Sean Andy and that might be a sign of things to come.

hawkeye65 (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 07/01/2020 21:37:49    2258071

Link

Team named.. Shane Walsh will captain Galway this year..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 181 - 07/01/2020 22:29:41    2258084

Link

1. Connor Gleeson (Dunmore MacHales)
2. Colin Murray (Mountbellew Moylough)
3. Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
4. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
5. Eamon Brannigan (St Michaels)
6. John Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
7. Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
8. Tom Flynn (Athenry)
9. Fiontan O'Curraoin (Micheal Breathnach)
10. Patrick Kelly (Mountbellew Moylough)
11. Michael Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
12. Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
13. Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)
14. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin Clonberne capt)
15. Paul Conroy (St James)

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1741 - 07/01/2020 22:58:54    2258094

Link

The strongest and most experienced Galway team I can ever recall for their first match of the year.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2473 - 07/01/2020 23:15:23    2258100

Link

I myself haven't heard anything about Sean Andy... but if its true and Pj told him tog in etc etc... I back management 1000% dead right.... there management and it's there responsibility to win the big one...

I see some of these county players around Galway at times and ya swear they were gods gift and they have 10 all Ireland medals under there belts... FairPlay to Pj and full respect to what he calls... this new "snow flake Millennials" will win nothing unless they follow instructions of a guy who has mountains of experience of how and what's needed to win an all Ireland's... I guarantee you would never hear or see that oul craic happening with the Dublin setup...

And finally you can't let players control management if that happens... then there is no respect management or the players....

O Mahoney took no rubbish from the two Donnellans all them years back when they walked off from training.... two months later they were back.... all Ireland secured...

I know a lad who was on the U20 panel last year and he told me everyone loved Pj they thought he was excellent....

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 07/01/2020 23:33:08    2258101

Link

A very Strong team on paper for a pre-season game. However, many of those included are returning from injury and badly need game time (Conroy, FOC, McDaid). This could be our last prep for what I regard as an absolutely must win first league game. The change of geographical balance away from the west is also notable. Sean Andy who was at midfield for the Corofin challenge will be a crucial part of this team in the league and championship. He is one of only a very small number who has the required natural strength to cope with the rough and tumble.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 997 - 08/01/2020 08:40:44    2258124

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "I myself haven't heard anything about Sean Andy... but if its true and Pj told him tog in etc etc... I back management 1000% dead right.... there management and it's there responsibility to win the big one...

I see some of these county players around Galway at times and ya swear they were gods gift and they have 10 all Ireland medals under there belts... FairPlay to Pj and full respect to what he calls... this new "snow flake Millennials" will win nothing unless they follow instructions of a guy who has mountains of experience of how and what's needed to win an all Ireland's... I guarantee you would never hear or see that oul craic happening with the Dublin setup...

And finally you can't let players control management if that happens... then there is no respect management or the players....

O Mahoney took no rubbish from the two Donnellans all them years back when they walked off from training.... two months later they were back.... all Ireland secured...

I know a lad who was on the U20 panel last year and he told me everyone loved Pj they thought he was excellent...."
Great to here the U20's loved PJ last year, maybe we can expect a poxy connacht title this year and a trimming against the first decent side we play.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 258 - 08/01/2020 09:12:53    2258130

Link

Thats a fairly strong team for Sunday considering we are missing 10 Corofin panellists, anyone playing with NUIG in Sigerson, good few injuries and our u20s are playing in the John Kerins Cup on Saturday. Would like to know what the timeline is for Comer's return, glad he isnt being rushed back this time.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 08/01/2020 09:41:47    2258134

Link

To be honest I am paying no heed to rumours about lads being axed etc. Varley and Brannigan were cut according to some yet they are both named to start on Sunday. I am not giving out to the lads who pass on what they heard, they are just trying to find out more like the rest of us. But i wouldn't make judgements about Sean Andys attitude or PJ's people skills based on rumour and half stories.

Great to see Conroy back. I thought he was excellent in FF line a few years ago. He can slow the game a bit too much when out the field.

Won't read too much into result or performance but will be interested to see the shape, defensive formation and the attacking style.

I am worried about Monaghan game as I think they may be a head of us in prep. Losing that would put us in bother with some of the away games we have.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1194 - 08/01/2020 10:51:10    2258145

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "A very Strong team on paper for a pre-season game. However, many of those included are returning from injury and badly need game time (Conroy, FOC, McDaid). This could be our last prep for what I regard as an absolutely must win first league game. The change of geographical balance away from the west is also notable. Sean Andy who was at midfield for the Corofin challenge will be a crucial part of this team in the league and championship. He is one of only a very small number who has the required natural strength to cope with the rough and tumble."
Saw S.A on number of occasions this year and last. No doubt a very good player but in the last year plus he seems caught for pace. Constant fowling and pulling of jersey. Now he gets away with this at club level because he with Galway. This will not be the case with County.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 402 - 08/01/2020 10:56:23    2258148

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Thats a fairly strong team for Sunday considering we are missing 10 Corofin panellists, anyone playing with NUIG in Sigerson, good few injuries and our u20s are playing in the John Kerins Cup on Saturday. Would like to know what the timeline is for Comer's return, glad he isnt being rushed back this time."
With a new manager in place how many of those Corofin players are Galway supporters expecting to start? Ian Burke and Liam Silke the obvious ones.

Strong Galway team for Sunday but playing natural forwards in defence would remind me of McStay tactics with us which more often than not led to big scores conceded.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2665 - 08/01/2020 14:36:09    2258201

Link

GOD at fullback, Heaney at cornerback and Brannigan at halfback seem strange positions for those players - I would worry re fullback in particular and none of them are particularly tight man-markers but I hope I'm wrong.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 08/01/2020 14:37:00    2258202

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "GOD at fullback, Heaney at cornerback and Brannigan at halfback seem strange positions for those players - I would worry re fullback in particular and none of them are particularly tight man-markers but I hope I'm wrong."
You would hope divo is drilling them well

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 08/01/2020 16:10:45    2258234

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "To be honest I am paying no heed to rumours about lads being axed etc. Varley and Brannigan were cut according to some yet they are both named to start on Sunday. I am not giving out to the lads who pass on what they heard, they are just trying to find out more like the rest of us. But i wouldn't make judgements about Sean Andys attitude or PJ's people skills based on rumour and half stories.

Great to see Conroy back. I thought he was excellent in FF line a few years ago. He can slow the game a bit too much when out the field.

Won't read too much into result or performance but will be interested to see the shape, defensive formation and the attacking style.

I am worried about Monaghan game as I think they may be a head of us in prep. Losing that would put us in bother with some of the away games we have."
Conroy is certainly very crafty and well able to throw himself to the deck inside in the FF line in order to win a free which only copper fastens the need for a consistent free taker on this team.

RicoSuave (Galway) - Posts: 21 - 08/01/2020 17:18:42    2258247

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "GOD at fullback, Heaney at cornerback and Brannigan at halfback seem strange positions for those players - I would worry re fullback in particular and none of them are particularly tight man-markers but I hope I'm wrong."
Unfortunately you would appear to be on the money. They must be struggling for numbers massively if GOD is selected at FB - just because a lad appears to be losing his legs as the years slip away from him, doesn't automatically mean he should be thrust straight into the FB line. Branningan on the panel is lapse in judgement but selecting him at wing back is laughable altogether.

RicoSuave (Galway) - Posts: 21 - 08/01/2020 17:21:23    2258248

Link

I think Brannigan at wing back great decision I have being saying it for last 2 years that he should be tried there ,he scored 2 points v corofin in challenge match few weeks ago also no harm trying GoD at full back might work he definitely smart enough of a player and plenty fast enough a fullback or full back line is only as good as the quality of ball that's put into the forwards so real pressure needs 2 be put on the ball goung in ,,time will tell i for one am happy that they trying something different ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 399 - 08/01/2020 18:31:18    2258264

Link