Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "Heard there is one final cut to be made before panel is finalised for league."
there will have to be a cut and a major cut at that as there are by all accounts 40 plus involved at the moment... good to hear conroy back to form and mcdaid will have benefited from a full run in to pre season
as for ian burke he needs to have a good start to the year

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 23/12/2019 17:02:43    2256007

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "there will have to be a cut and a major cut at that as there are by all accounts 40 plus involved at the moment... good to hear conroy back to form and mcdaid will have benefited from a full run in to pre season
as for ian burke he needs to have a good start to the year"
Who will take the blame when half the Corofin contingent are cut from the panel? Burke is on fire and back to his All Star form after a poor year in the maroon Jersey, Conroy still has a lot to offer and Mcdaid is getting there.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 224 - 23/12/2019 18:19:26    2256023

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "Who will take the blame when half the Corofin contingent are cut from the panel? Burke is on fire and back to his All Star form after a poor year in the maroon Jersey, Conroy still has a lot to offer and Mcdaid is getting there."
I'm a big fan of Ian Burke but can't agree with you that he's anywhere near 2018 form.
I don't think he's been playing that well personally and his scoring returns have fallen off a cliff.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 24/12/2019 09:17:40    2256066

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I'm a big fan of Ian Burke but can't agree with you that he's anywhere near 2018 form.
I don't think he's been playing that well personally and his scoring returns have fallen off a cliff."
Same as that. I was at the Donegal game when Ian got his first bit of action. He was on fire. Every since he's not been consistent for club or country. Still a terrific player but needs to get his form back.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 396 - 24/12/2019 10:16:04    2256069

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Same as that. I was at the Donegal game when Ian got his first bit of action. He was on fire. Every since he's not been consistent for club or country. Still a terrific player but needs to get his form back."
As the decade come to a close, I'm reminded that 1919 was the first time we appeared in a Senior Final.
We played in at least one final in every decade since until the decade just coming to a close.
Never have as many resources been put in for so little a return.
Those in charge at many levels need to have a long period of reflection as where we are.
Just a thought.

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 144 - 24/12/2019 12:34:36    2256074

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "As the decade come to a close, I'm reminded that 1919 was the first time we appeared in a Senior Final.
We played in at least one final in every decade since until the decade just coming to a close.
Those in charge at many levels need to have a long period of reflection as where we are.
Just a thought."
I have been saying this for ages. There is not a chance of getting big name sponsors until this period of reflection happens. The club members need more involvement in votes etc

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 396 - 24/12/2019 13:51:20    2256079

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "Who will take the blame when half the Corofin contingent are cut from the panel? Burke is on fire and back to his All Star form after a poor year in the maroon Jersey, Conroy still has a lot to offer and Mcdaid is getting there."
Are u picking the team now??

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 396 - 24/12/2019 16:35:03    2256092

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "As the decade come to a close, I'm reminded that 1919 was the first time we appeared in a Senior Final.
Just a thought."
Definitely. There needs to be proper budgeting. Teams should agree at beginning of year and silly spending should not be allowed however within the agreed budget I think managers should have a certain level of autonomy.

I have my doubts about the long term value of i/c underage completions. Funding for coaches around the county will give much better long term return. You could still bring groups together for training camps but if the investment is made to bring the level of coaching up at club level there will be a much bigger pay back.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1170 - 25/12/2019 15:48:36    2256131

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I'm a big fan of Ian Burke but can't agree with you that he's anywhere near 2018 form.
I don't think he's been playing that well personally and his scoring returns have fallen off a cliff."
I'm reliably informed that throughout the recent Corofin v Galway game in Loughgeorge, Ian Burke ran the Galway defence ragged and featured well on the scoreboard, I'll await the evidence of my own eyes but I'm reserving the right to retract my earlier opinion that Corofin won't do the 3 in a row, such was the Corofin performance and quality of the game.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 224 - 26/12/2019 14:16:55    2256156

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Are u picking the team now??"
Many thanks for your input toman, only sorry I didn't read your childishness earlier.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 224 - 26/12/2019 14:20:59    2256157

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "I'm reliably informed that throughout the recent Corofin v Galway game in Loughgeorge, Ian Burke ran the Galway defence ragged and featured well on the scoreboard, I'll await the evidence of my own eyes but I'm reserving the right to retract my earlier opinion that Corofin won't do the 3 in a row, such was the Corofin performance and quality of the game."
In fairness dontlookback that's the usual second hand dribble. If u said u were at the game grand. Ur earlier Post saying half the corofin lads won't make it, now ur saying there brilliant. Use ur own options and don't be one of those fine weather supporters who sits on fence listening to other people's opinions

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 396 - 27/12/2019 09:36:59    2256199

Link

Replying To Toman:  "In fairness dontlookback that's the usual second hand dribble. If u said u were at the game grand. Ur earlier Post saying half the corofin lads won't make it, now ur saying there brilliant. Use ur own options and don't be one of those fine weather supporters who sits on fence listening to other people's opinions"
Why would I claim to be at a game when I wasn't, unlike some I respect the opinions of others whom I trust to give a fair appraisal when I ask what they witnessed.
As to the Corofin or any other Club lads, even they will tell you there's a big difference between Club and County standard football and I didn't say they were brilliant I did say Ian Burke ran the Galway defence ragged and Corofin performed well in a quality game of football but hey don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. #fakenews
And while you're at it get a grip on your grammar and spelling or ask Santa to take back that Nokia 3310 and get yourself one with pictures.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 224 - 27/12/2019 19:51:05    2256260

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "Why would I claim to be at a game when I wasn't, unlike some I respect the opinions of others whom I trust to give a fair appraisal when I ask what they witnessed.
As to the Corofin or any other Club lads, even they will tell you there's a big difference between Club and County standard football and I didn't say they were brilliant I did say Ian Burke ran the Galway defence ragged and Corofin performed well in a quality game of football but hey don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. #fakenews
And while you're at it get a grip on your grammar and spelling or ask Santa to take back that Nokia 3310 and get yourself one with pictures."
So ur retracting ur earlier statement that corofin can do three in a row. That to me is sit on fence and change ur mind with latest result. Oh and by the ur on about grammar and spelling # is spelt hashtag. But I least I know now we know what Santa brought u. A Nokia 3310. I suppose it's a chance from a rattler.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 396 - 27/12/2019 22:09:12    2256273

Link

Replying To Toman:  "So ur retracting ur earlier statement that corofin can do three in a row. That to me is sit on fence and change ur mind with latest result. Oh and by the ur on about grammar and spelling # is spelt hashtag. But I least I know now we know what Santa brought u. A Nokia 3310. I suppose it's a chance from a rattler."
Oh Lord, the gift that keeps on giving, you win, I'm down at your level and you've beaten me with experience. I hope 2020 is a better year for you and you get all the help you quite clearly deserve.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 224 - 28/12/2019 12:38:14    2256310

Link

Replying To Toman:  "So ur retracting ur earlier statement that corofin can do three in a row. That to me is sit on fence and change ur mind with latest result. Oh and by the ur on about grammar and spelling # is spelt hashtag. But I least I know now we know what Santa brought u. A Nokia 3310. I suppose it's a chance from a rattler."
Lads
This back and over is unpleasant and needs to stop
This forum is based on the views of people interested in Galway GAA
Please be respectful of others and their views

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 28/12/2019 12:48:58    2256313

Link

Reading online one of the daily newspapers yesterday listed their football 'power rankings' - they have Galway in 9th position, behind Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone, Roscommon, Cork and Meath. Where they give paragraphs to those above us, they give a couple of sentences about Galway. They're practically writing us off already. I hope we can quickly show everyone where we stand and come out of the blocks lightning fast in 2020. Can't wait for the new season.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 28/12/2019 14:12:09    2256317

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Lads
Please be respectful of others and their views"
In fairness I do agree with you. I have stopped very low in getting involved with someone who probably doesn't have the greater since of club and country in mind. For this I apologize and in future for the greater good of this forum I will ignore those negative posts and comments.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 396 - 29/12/2019 10:30:13    2256382

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Lads
Please be respectful of others and their views"
i had in my mind to write something similar as the starter of this thread

some really good contributions and while disagreement is inevitable try to stick to debating the points and not each other as personas. Be the bigger man
with matches starting soon there will be plenty to keep us occupied!!!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 29/12/2019 14:14:09    2256409

Link

I hear the galway training sessions are going very well with the emphasis on forward passing of the ball.
The ball cannot be passed back at any stage In practice matches.
While it sounds very positive,I think Kerry played this way 2years ago with no defence strategy and had to go back to the drawing board.
It could take a while to get the blend right in galway but I think the football will be positive.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 162 - 30/12/2019 11:27:12    2256498

Link

Anyone want to throw a stab at a guesstimate 15 for the mayo game on the 12th? Surely majority will be new players that impressed last years club

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 134 - 30/12/2019 11:53:58    2256502

Link