Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "He's not being hung out to dry. He is/was our captain and a mainstay of that U20 team. He dealt with both goals poorly. McFadden went onto Archer after that and he didn't get a peep. Players need to take ownership of their own performances too rather than looking to shift the blame. Mulkerrins had a poor game but I'm sure if asked he would go toe to toe with him again."
I'm not arguing the point and fully agree that players have to look after their own performance.
I am just subtly making the point that if Kevin Walsh left Declan Kyne and Sean Andy 2 v 2 on Geaney and Clifford and they scored 2-1 ,from long balls in from David Moran there would probably be about 1400 posts on here about Kevin Walsh!!!

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 297 - 29/07/2019 12:54:34    2218148

Link

Replying To johnjoe21:  "And the best thing you can do is stay away from the keyboard with your negative whining, Kevin has done more for football in this county than you or your fellow faceless hurlers on the ditch put together."
So next year we will do the "same thing" under the "same management" and expect "different results" ??????
One thing Kevin doesn't do is change and adapt.
That applies to system, style of play, team selection and sideline decisions.
If Kevin wasn't a Galway Legend and hadn't won 2 All Irelands he'd be gone so fast he'd have whiplash.
A Galway Legend he is for sure but another year of this is just madness.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and someone calling it as it is does not constitute whining.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 238 - 29/07/2019 13:54:06    2218196

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I'm not arguing the point and fully agree that players have to look after their own performance.
I am just subtly making the point that if Kevin Walsh left Declan Kyne and Sean Andy 2 v 2 on Geaney and Clifford and they scored 2-1 ,from long balls in from David Moran there would probably be about 1400 posts on here about Kevin Walsh!!!"
Does anyone know what happened to Gavin Burke. I know he was replaced early in Connacht final v Mayo. If things weren't working out for him at centre forward, then why not place him in half back line - his customary position - or is it a case of stubbornness by management. Wouldn't surprise me if he walked after that. We were short on quality defenders...

Anyway, when you see a small lad like Liam Costello trying to physically make things happen it didn't say much for the rest..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 331 - 29/07/2019 15:09:16    2218251

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I'm not arguing the point and fully agree that players have to look after their own performance.
I am just subtly making the point that if Kevin Walsh left Declan Kyne and Sean Andy 2 v 2 on Geaney and Clifford and they scored 2-1 ,from long balls in from David Moran there would probably be about 1400 posts on here about Kevin Walsh!!!"
this is exactly the main issue!!!
dublin use a sweeper, mayo have started to drop a man back, tyrone play kavanagh and a second player there at times as do donegal and kerry....we cannot go 1v1 or 2v2 against any of the top teams- that is a simple fact.
people criticising pj for no defensive plan are the same people criticising kw for having too much of a plan- what can be said!!!!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 537 - 29/07/2019 15:26:23    2218259

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Sorry to disappoint you but PJ had a good year. Beaten in the All Ireland Semi by Dublin but otherthan that they unbeaten all year playing attacking football. A very good Dublin u20 side beat them. They'll win it out now. If you ever played the game, you might realise that sometimes you dont always win. No disgrace losing to that dublin side.

But in your eyes PJ is no longer an option for the top job. According to yourself, the u20 side were badly coached. Such nonsense. You do realise that they were coached by Divilly and Sammon. Are they bad coaches in your eyes ? These guys are widely respected as top football football coaches in the game and rightly so. They are a credit to Galway football.

Overall, it's been a good year for the u20's. They won the John Kerins cup and a Connacht title .The style of football has been a breath of fresh air. Thats the biggest positive we can take from it. So hard luck to PJ, his backroom team and the players who put in a huge amount of work. I'm sure they'll bounce back in style. Most supporters appreciate the massive effort and commitment shown by all involved."
What have Divilly and Sammon achieved in the game as coaches?

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 147 - 29/07/2019 17:11:48    2218342

Link

Replying To crafty:  "What have Divilly and Sammon achieved in the game as coaches?"
A lot more than you I say...

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 235 - 29/07/2019 20:07:11    2218426

Link

Word on the street is that Walsh is staying for one more year and Rory Gallagher is coming in as coach.

I heard it over the weekend and laughed it off but with Gallagher stepping down this morning looks like it's going to happen..

Not surprised, considering his defensive approach. Great coach tho apparently.

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 235 - 29/07/2019 20:09:06    2218428

Link

Replying To crafty:  "What have Divilly and Sammon achieved in the game as coaches?"
Further to that point, why aren't they being courted by the rest of Ireland to coach their inter-county teams?

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 29/07/2019 20:14:41    2218436

Link

Because salnon is an out and out Galwayman. He wouldn't sell his soul for non taxable salary.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 220 - 29/07/2019 21:57:10    2218501

Link

To answer you and fallenstar, both men have obviously achieved a huge amount in the game as players. In relation to coaching both are highly regarded within the game. Divilly has coached in kildare and was headhunted by UCD to manage their Sigerson Team. He's won that competition twice which is a brilliant achievement.

Liam Sammon was a class footballer. He wrote a brilliant coaching book a number of years ago which was ahead of its time. He is extremely knowledgeable about the game and possesses a fine football brain. He took on the Galway job and won a connacht title in 2008. They bowed out later after losing to Kerry In a thriller in Croke Park. It was probably one of the most exciting games in that particular decade. Sammon's belief in how the game should be played contributed greatly to that spectacle.

Divilly is sought after by many counties and clubs for his coaching skills. His coaching skills are highly respected within the Dublin club scene. That's a fact. Liam Sammon is getting on so it's hard to see him getting involved with another county at this stage. My point is that both men are brilliant coaches. I think any player who has played under either of them would agree with that. I'd give up on anybody who thinks these men aren't good coaches and I think most people would agree.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 29/07/2019 22:07:27    2218509

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "So next year we will do the "same thing" under the "same management" and expect "different results" ??????
One thing Kevin doesn't do is change and adapt.
That applies to system, style of play, team selection and sideline decisions.
If Kevin wasn't a Galway Legend and hadn't won 2 All Irelands he'd be gone so fast he'd have whiplash.
A Galway Legend he is for sure but another year of this is just madness.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and someone calling it as it is does not constitute whining."
Agree 100% stopthelights. I'm a huge Kevin Walsh as player fan. But fair is fair 5 years is enough when it's not happening. We can't keep playing a lateral defence game and then expect the lads go all out attack 2 weeks later when its last chance soloon. The County board need to see it's time for change.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 29/07/2019 22:41:48    2218528

Link

The fact that you even posed that question shows that you know nothing about football.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 851 - 30/07/2019 08:13:54    2218574

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "To answer you and fallenstar, both men have obviously achieved a huge amount in the game as players. In relation to coaching both are highly regarded within the game. Divilly has coached in kildare and was headhunted by UCD to manage their Sigerson Team. He's won that competition twice which is a brilliant achievement.

Liam Sammon was a class footballer. He wrote a brilliant coaching book a number of years ago which was ahead of its time. He is extremely knowledgeable about the game and possesses a fine football brain. He took on the Galway job and won a connacht title in 2008. They bowed out later after losing to Kerry In a thriller in Croke Park. It was probably one of the most exciting games in that particular decade. Sammon's belief in how the game should be played contributed greatly to that spectacle.

Divilly is sought after by many counties and clubs for his coaching skills. His coaching skills are highly respected within the Dublin club scene. That's a fact. Liam Sammon is getting on so it's hard to see him getting involved with another county at this stage. My point is that both men are brilliant coaches. I think any player who has played under either of them would agree with that. I'd give up on anybody who thinks these men aren't good coaches and I think most people would agree."
I am so sick and tired of hearing about the so-called classic between Galway and Kerry in 2008. Here are the most relevant facts from that game - after Joe Bergin score a goal to put Galway two points up early in the second-half, Kerry immediately upped the tempo and rattled off 7 points in a row in the space of 10 minutes to finish off the game. For each of those points, the Kerry forwards simply waltzed through the heart of the Galway defence without a finger being layed on them. Yes, there was lots of pretty attacking football but the game was completely lacking in any real intensity and the defending was a joke.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 791 - 30/07/2019 09:04:21    2218585

Link

Replying To Gaillimh_Abu:  "I am so sick and tired of hearing about the so-called classic between Galway and Kerry in 2008. Here are the most relevant facts from that game - after Joe Bergin score a goal to put Galway two points up early in the second-half, Kerry immediately upped the tempo and rattled off 7 points in a row in the space of 10 minutes to finish off the game. For each of those points, the Kerry forwards simply waltzed through the heart of the Galway defence without a finger being layed on them. Yes, there was lots of pretty attacking football but the game was completely lacking in any real intensity and the defending was a joke."
It was a huge mistake to put Bergin at 14. It took Meehan out of the game he was dominating. As you say it got away from us quickly after the goal and in truth we were well beaten in the end. It was a shame we drew Kerry that year. If we avoided them I feel we'd have gone further.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 30/07/2019 10:17:49    2218614

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "To answer you and fallenstar, both men have obviously achieved a huge amount in the game as players. In relation to coaching both are highly regarded within the game. Divilly has coached in kildare and was headhunted by UCD to manage their Sigerson Team. He's won that competition twice which is a brilliant achievement.

Divilly is sought after by many counties and clubs for his coaching skills. His coaching skills are highly respected within the Dublin club scene. That's a fact. Liam Sammon is getting on so it's hard to see him getting involved with another county at this stage. My point is that both men are brilliant coaches. I think any player who has played under either of them would agree with that. I'd give up on anybody who thinks these men aren't good coaches and I think most people would agree."
Agreed. Furthermore, if memory serves, John Divilly managed Maynooth to two Sigersons, as well as the 2 he has won with UCD. A great coach and footballing brain, and a battle-hardened motivator that young guys sit up and listen to. It would be shambolic if Galway lose Divilly's skills to other counties. We need him on board.
Regarding the u20's, they achieved quite a lot this year and it's fairly widely held that next years group will be better. PJ, Divo and Sammon need to be kept together and work up to Senior. They have the skill set, gravitas and will to win that, coupled with a talented panel, can make serious impact in the next few years. Plus, I'm convinced they'll help bring the crowds back at senior level.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 30/07/2019 10:45:09    2218635

Link

Replying To Gaillimh_Abu:  "I am so sick and tired of hearing about the so-called classic between Galway and Kerry in 2008. Here are the most relevant facts from that game - after Joe Bergin score a goal to put Galway two points up early in the second-half, Kerry immediately upped the tempo and rattled off 7 points in a row in the space of 10 minutes to finish off the game. For each of those points, the Kerry forwards simply waltzed through the heart of the Galway defence without a finger being layed on them. Yes, there was lots of pretty attacking football but the game was completely lacking in any real intensity and the defending was a joke."
Its quite apparent that some posters aren't too concerned what the result is as long we are playing lovely football true to our culture.

That 2008 QF was a fantastic game that we lost. I don't think Kerry fans would be so giving in their praise of Galway if they had lost. Or if we held the upper hand against them over the last 50 years.

Dublin have beaten them consistently over the last 8 years playing great football but you never hear Kerry give them the same compliments we always get. Difference is that theirs is a competitive rivalry.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 30/07/2019 11:17:26    2218660

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Agreed. Furthermore, if memory serves, John Divilly managed Maynooth to two Sigersons, as well as the 2 he has won with UCD. A great coach and footballing brain, and a battle-hardened motivator that young guys sit up and listen to. It would be shambolic if Galway lose Divilly's skills to other counties. We need him on board.
Regarding the u20's, they achieved quite a lot this year and it's fairly widely held that next years group will be better. PJ, Divo and Sammon need to be kept together and work up to Senior. They have the skill set, gravitas and will to win that, coupled with a talented panel, can make serious impact in the next few years. Plus, I'm convinced they'll help bring the crowds back at senior level."
Did he not lose a Sigerson final and a semi final to a teacher training college with only a couple of hundred Male students while managing UCD who had stars from all over some on scholarships. A team featuring Fitzsimons, Macaffrey, Mannion, Jack Barry. And who managed the wee teacher training college.... Paddy Tally!!!

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 297 - 30/07/2019 12:42:14    2218710

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Sorry to disappoint you but PJ had a good year. Beaten in the All Ireland Semi by Dublin but otherthan that they unbeaten all year playing attacking football. A very good Dublin u20 side beat them. They'll win it out now. If you ever played the game, you might realise that sometimes you dont always win. No disgrace losing to that dublin side.

But in your eyes PJ is no longer an option for the top job. According to yourself, the u20 side were badly coached. Such nonsense. You do realise that they were coached by Divilly and Sammon. Are they bad coaches in your eyes ? These guys are widely respected as top football football coaches in the game and rightly so. They are a credit to Galway football.

Overall, it's been a good year for the u20's. They won the John Kerins cup and a Connacht title .The style of football has been a breath of fresh air. Thats the biggest positive we can take from it. So hard luck to PJ, his backroom team and the players who put in a huge amount of work. I'm sure they'll bounce back in style. Most supporters appreciate the massive effort and commitment shown by all involved."
Did you even watch the game? If you ever played game, you might realise that they were completely schooled. Who cares about john kerins cups do you really think people care who wins the FBD league. I think its clear its too soon for pj to get the top job after watching that game. All this propaganda about the style of play is rubbish i didnt see anything specal or out of the norm from this galway team

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 391 - 30/07/2019 13:44:50    2218731

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "He's not being hung out to dry. He is/was our captain and a mainstay of that U20 team. He dealt with both goals poorly. McFadden went onto Archer after that and he didn't get a peep. Players need to take ownership of their own performances too rather than looking to shift the blame. Mulkerrins had a poor game but I'm sure if asked he would go toe to toe with him again."
I think Sean Andy is safe at full back for a while mulkerrins is too nice

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 391 - 30/07/2019 13:49:58    2218733

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "I think Sean Andy is safe at full back for a while mulkerrins is too nice"
Mulkerins is only 20, OK he may be a bit light at the minute but he will fill out over the next few years.

Hes probably a better 3 than Sean Andy in terms of play and speed (2 mistakes at the weekend a side...hes still young and from what Ive seen of him over last few years at club and Siggerson hes been very good) but Sean Andy has the size.

No need to parachute Mulkerrins in either with Sean Any there unlike the massive need for Sean Andy to come in. The two lads competing might bring both players on.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 30/07/2019 14:19:57    2218743

Link