Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "I am afraid the only A I medals the Coroffin players will see are parish, local, Club medals... Real County players who win the real A I Medals, ie, SAM always put their County First and respect their Manager and fellow players. One Proper SAM Medal is better than a Tractor full of that other junk."
What are you raving about? There were more Corofin players with Galway last year than any other club.
And I am not from Corofin.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 119 - 17/09/2019 08:27:42    2236470

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Well if its backwards a new Management is going why bother. At least I am man enough to acknowledge there is a big West V East issue, Coroffin players refused to play under him. We don't need a Connacht title, Walsh has achieved that, got us to A I Semi... Not looking for an A I, get to final.. Otherwise changing Walsh was pointless."
You seem to love this word nonsense. Its ur OPINION. Ur statement shows ur from the west and have a problem with north players ie corofin. As I stated IMO it doesn't matter whether players are from north or west if they are County standard. Some of the Corofin players I've seen have gone back sin e joining County. I do agree there are players from north and west on the panel who are not good enough Imo. I also think it doesn't matter where the management is from if they are good enough to bring the team forward. Can't understand how u think winning Connacht and doing well in super 8s is going back. One thing for sure and this is no disrespect to any County but we should be beating roscommon and tipperary and even Monaghan at home.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 17/09/2019 09:32:06    2236497

Link

The elephant in the room is the west versus north issue. It is an issue- people from the North (rightly or wrongly) feel that players from the West were given a far better chance under the previous management. E.G. how many Killanin players were given county jerseys? I'd guess 8 or 9 which is mad stuff in fairness. Traditionally it was the opposite- Western clubs felt underrepresented.

If the managerial teams bandied about are put in place I believe it will flip and they will overcompensate with Northern players unless a strong western presence is on the ticket. Would Sean Og De Paor be interested? Or Pat Fallon (ex-Mayo player) who has managed extensively?

The Corofin issue is resolvable- they know themselves only a few are good enough so start Molloy and Ian Burke and give other fellas a chance.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 17/09/2019 09:41:59    2236502

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "The elephant in the room is the west versus north issue. It is an issue- people from the North (rightly or wrongly) feel that players from the West were given a far better chance under the previous management. E.G. how many Killanin players were given county jerseys? I'd guess 8 or 9 which is mad stuff in fairness. Traditionally it was the opposite- Western clubs felt underrepresented.

If the managerial teams bandied about are put in place I believe it will flip and they will overcompensate with Northern players unless a strong western presence is on the ticket. Would Sean Og De Paor be interested? Or Pat Fallon (ex-Mayo player) who has managed extensively?

The Corofin issue is resolvable- they know themselves only a few are good enough so start Molloy and Ian Burke and give other fellas a chance."
Fully agree with everything you say. The corofin issue is definitely resolve wit correct management. I'm not from corofin but one has to take their hat off to them in their achievements club wise.
That said they should be doing well with the pick they have. 100% agree whoever the management is there should be selectors from north and west.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 17/09/2019 09:57:23    2236508

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "The elephant in the room is the west versus north issue. It is an issue- people from the North (rightly or wrongly) feel that players from the West were given a far better chance under the previous management. E.G. how many Killanin players were given county jerseys? I'd guess 8 or 9 which is mad stuff in fairness. Traditionally it was the opposite- Western clubs felt underrepresented.

The Corofin issue is resolvable- they know themselves only a few are good enough so start Molloy and Ian Burke and give other fellas a chance."
Fully agree with everything you say. The corofin issue is definitely resolve wit correct management. I'm not from corofin but one has to take their hat off to them in their achievements club wise.
That said they should be doing well with the pick they have. 100% agree whoever the management is there should be selectors from north and west.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 17/09/2019 09:57:45    2236510

Link

Oranmnore Maree's Sean óg de Paor is it?

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 17/09/2019 11:09:24    2236538

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "I am afraid the only A I medals the Coroffin players will see are parish, local, Club medals... Real County players who win the real A I Medals, ie, SAM always put their County First and respect their Manager and fellow players. One Proper SAM Medal is better than a Tractor full of that other junk."
Your post on Galway championship 2019 and Galway football 2020 appear to be really stirring up the north v west rivalry if there is one. Not at all helpful. Kevin Walsh had his 5 years and the best of luck to him. Next manager be north or west or outside County deserves his chance and respect (something u were saying wasn't given to Kevin even though he got 5year) from north and west alike. No point on having a problem with names from north been branded about when its only speculation. Park the North v West thing it's like Brexit ie gets boaring.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 17/09/2019 12:28:47    2236567

Link

North Galway people may feel too many lads from West got chances under KW.

City West people have thought some extremely average players from the clubs around Tuam got Galway chances they shouldn't have got for about the last 15 years!

Personally feel KW picked on merit, whether i agree with his selections or not is another days work and often i didn't but if there were any players outside of the usual Corofin names thrown around that have been lighting up club football in the last 5 years and never got a shot i don't know them. The landscape in Galway football has changed and the days of 80% of the squad coming from 10 miles of Tuam stadium are gone. The Senior championship would tell you that. Throwing Kilanin lads at him is a bit a cheap shot. Other than his admittedly mad decision to parachute in David Walsh in Croke Park Johnny Heaney was one of our best players from 2015-2018 and the two sweeneys never let us down, Cathal in particular was a big hearted player who was missed last year in my opinion.

And no, im not from Killanin or have any connection to them.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 17/09/2019 12:29:06    2236569

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Your post on Galway championship 2019 and Galway football 2020 appear to be really stirring up the north v west rivalry if there is one. Not at all helpful. Kevin Walsh had his 5 years and the best of luck to him. Next manager be north or west or outside County deserves his chance and respect (something u were saying wasn't given to Kevin even though he got 5year) from north and west alike. No point on having a problem with names from north been branded about when its only speculation. Park the North v West thing it's like Brexit ie gets boaring."
Any player that wont play for his County when chosen because he is prejudiced against the manager for coming from the wrong side of the County shouldn't even be considered for selection again. So if they think they are good enough to win A I without West, they must have been born after 1998, 2001... We will wait for the medals to roll in now... Like the early seventies and 1983 when certain players bottled it... Not from West either...

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1619 - 17/09/2019 18:35:15    2236757

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Any player that wont play for his County when chosen because he is prejudiced against the manager for coming from the wrong side of the County shouldn't even be considered for selection again. So if they think they are good enough to win A I without West, they must have been born after 1998, 2001... We will wait for the medals to roll in now... Like the early seventies and 1983 when certain players bottled it... Not from West either..."
Where did u hear corofin lads wouldn't play from their country. At the time KW said on radio that upto 60 lads refused to do trials. Now if u think that all of those lafs are from one club u are back to ur favourite word.. NONSENSE. Your also still on with this negative north v west nonsense. Time to build a bride and get over it.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 17/09/2019 22:33:53    2236893

Link

That West v North thing is ridiculous. It might be something for people that never worked overseas, or maybe haven't even travelled outside Connacht! It's lame, narrow-minded and parochial. Stop the nonsense. If you spent a bit of time in other countries you'd see how tiny Galway really is. We're one county and local biases trying to divide us have to stop being bandied about by a minority. Start winning games and everyone will row in behind the lads, whether you're from Glinsk, Ballinasloe or Clifden.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 17/09/2019 22:41:22    2236895

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "That West v North thing is ridiculous. It might be something for people that never worked overseas, or maybe haven't even travelled outside Connacht! It's lame, narrow-minded and parochial. Stop the nonsense. If you spent a bit of time in other countries you'd see how tiny Galway really is. We're one county and local biases trying to divide us have to stop being bandied about by a minority. Start winning games and everyone will row in behind the lads, whether you're from Glinsk, Ballinasloe or Clifden."
Easy to write about everything being all right, but reality is different. Every dog in the street knows Certain players went go America instead of answering Kevins call to join the Squad.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1619 - 18/09/2019 00:11:46    2236931

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Unify the county? Sweet jesus"
yes fallenstar unify
do you think all players were coming back after last years debacle? already on the rumour mill certain players were not so a fresh start and a blank page for EVERYONE

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 539 - 18/09/2019 13:00:48    2237083

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Easy to write about everything being all right, but reality is different. Every dog in the street knows Certain players went go America instead of answering Kevins call to join the Squad."
Players from every county lose lads to America for a summer. Lads in their 20s will sometimes do that and it's hard to blame them when the type of football they're being asked to play at home is negative, hard to buy into and hard to watch. That will change.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 18/09/2019 13:00:49    2237084

Link

re rochford he had agreed to stay with donegal before the galway approach and its not as easy as that to just sever your agreement with a management team who already had plans made with him in them!!!! that is the delay imo

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 539 - 18/09/2019 13:03:38    2237086

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Easy to write about everything being all right, but reality is different. Every dog in the street knows Certain players went go America instead of answering Kevins call to join the Squad."
If enough people go around whinging it's not right, then it won't be alright. I think ur are the most negative person on this forum. Start looking to the future and get behind whatever management and players are in place.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 18/09/2019 13:50:49    2237115

Link

Replying To Toman:  "If enough people go around whinging it's not right, then it won't be alright. I think ur are the most negative person on this forum. Start looking to the future and get behind whatever management and players are in place."
Why didn't they get behind K W??? You are obviously wearing glasses that only allow one view. At lesst you know now that we know you couldnt play under a manager from the West. There is a worse name for that than negative.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1619 - 18/09/2019 21:52:50    2237356

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Why didn't they get behind K W??? You are obviously wearing glasses that only allow one view. At lesst you know now that we know you couldnt play under a manager from the West. There is a worse name for that than negative."
Will u put the kW thing to bed. Kevin had 5 years. I have huge respect for the man. Don't be living in the past. Stop the NONSENSE and get behind next management and players.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 18/09/2019 22:19:19    2237364

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "That West v North thing is ridiculous. It might be something for people that never worked overseas, or maybe haven't even travelled outside Connacht! It's lame, narrow-minded and parochial. Stop the nonsense. If you spent a bit of time in other countries you'd see how tiny Galway really is. We're one county and local biases trying to divide us have to stop being bandied about by a minority. Start winning games and everyone will row in behind the lads, whether you're from Glinsk, Ballinasloe or Clifden."
They were winning games in 2018 but it wasn't good enough for the purists. The exact same will happen to anyone who doesn't read the script.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 18/09/2019 23:31:05    2237394

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Will u put the kW thing to bed. Kevin had 5 years. I have huge respect for the man. Don't be living in the past. Stop the NONSENSE and get behind next management and players."
Of course I will get behind Galway, I am a Galwegian I get behind my County no matter who is in Charge. The other side that has that problem. Looking forward to challenging the Dubs with our new wonderful open, attacking style of play and winning All Irelands. Just because I point out your talking seafóid, doesen' t mean I stop supporting my County, stronger supporters here, we don't stop supporting just because our Cousins dont get Manager Job.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1619 - 19/09/2019 02:36:43    2237413

Link