Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To WolfeTone:  "Please go Kevin Walsh you've subjected the football public to 5 years of negativity where the numbers attending games has fallen year on year. Nobody wants to watch this brand of football when we have players available that can do so much more than retreat behind the 45. It's easy to say the players should be held accountable too that they should have been able to play ball up front against Mayo but if you've spent 5 years on the backfoot you can't just flick a switch and tell lads to do the opposite. What would be wrong with setting up like Roscommon do and pack the middle leaving 3 or 4 up front? Walsh Comer and Burke moving inside the 45 and the middle area packed with players that can actually make contact in the tackle and not wave at the opposition and wander around pretend tackling (like what Roscommon do) Slow the ball coming in and go man to man at the back. You'll soon find out who your defenders are then when you don't have 13 lads inside the 45 making sure you don't get exposed. Need a change."
i agree with a lot of that but there is imo an issue with the one on one situation in front of goal.....our current full back line would be in serious trouble...need at least +1 in front of FB line but i would agree with engaging the opponent higher uip the field....a turnover there would result in so much more support around the ball and in touch with the opponents goal

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 537 - 25/07/2019 14:38:50    2216313

Link

Replying To WolfeTone:  "Please go Kevin Walsh you've subjected the football public to 5 years of negativity where the numbers attending games has fallen year on year. Nobody wants to watch this brand of football when we have players available that can do so much more than retreat behind the 45. It's easy to say the players should be held accountable too that they should have been able to play ball up front against Mayo but if you've spent 5 years on the backfoot you can't just flick a switch and tell lads to do the opposite. What would be wrong with setting up like Roscommon do and pack the middle leaving 3 or 4 up front? Walsh Comer and Burke moving inside the 45 and the middle area packed with players that can actually make contact in the tackle and not wave at the opposition and wander around pretend tackling (like what Roscommon do) Slow the ball coming in and go man to man at the back. You'll soon find out who your defenders are then when you don't have 13 lads inside the 45 making sure you don't get exposed. Need a change."
Extremely harsh and unfair.

I am no Kevin Walsh fan, and I think his stint is done and time for new management HOWEVER when KW took over Galway were at an all-time low (Mayo hammered us by 20points in Salthill!) There was no style of play before Kevin, no defense no game tactics, no depth to the panel and no proper S&C! Also, attendances are not falling, I remember going to every league game the year before KW took over and the year he came in and it was pathetic enough before KW came in.

If you think we could play 1 on 1 type of football like we seen in Croker your daft, our FB line just dosnt have the all out pace and could get badly exposed. I agree that the transition to attack play was far too slow and also that we have the players to play a far more attacking game but I suspect our FB line would be exposed badly (and maybe its worth it, have a shootout and see if our forwards can score more than yours but I think we'd lose as many games as we'd win)

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 25/07/2019 14:52:00    2216321

Link

you sound frustrated and believe me I understand that. Let the process unfold and see what plan KW has for 2020 when he meets the cb. 2019 was not good enough, nobody needs to remind KW of this. For now he deserves our thanks and a bit of time off.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1277 - 25/07/2019 15:11:22    2216336

Link

Galway Football 2020 is the title of this thread and our preparation continues with our minors and U20s on Saturday. Hopefully a big crowd can be mustered like the U20 Connacht Final and we can start the 2020 momentum in July 2019. A lot of talk on here is more or less irrelevant till we at least know our manager situation. And then the training panel next November. The here and now are the teams left playing. And then we can kill each other over our clubs and before we know it it will be cold January afternoons for the FBD.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 441 - 25/07/2019 20:55:31    2216513

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Galway Football 2020 is the title of this thread and our preparation continues with our minors and U20s on Saturday. Hopefully a big crowd can be mustered like the U20 Connacht Final and we can start the 2020 momentum in July 2019. A lot of talk on here is more or less irrelevant till we at least know our manager situation. And then the training panel next November. The here and now are the teams left playing. And then we can kill each other over our clubs and before we know it it will be cold January afternoons for the FBD."
Wont be long now before Christmas sure!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 26/07/2019 09:27:22    2216643

Link

Its safe to say PJ wont be involved with the seniors any time soon after that Dublin game.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 391 - 27/07/2019 20:34:32    2217231

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Its safe to say PJ wont be involved with the seniors any time soon after that Dublin game."
Or, he will learn a lot from it. Jim Gavin had losses at underage level. The poor start was the difference

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 297 - 27/07/2019 22:55:01    2217333

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Its safe to say PJ wont be involved with the seniors any time soon after that Dublin game."
Sorry to disappoint you but PJ had a good year. Beaten in the All Ireland Semi by Dublin but otherthan that they unbeaten all year playing attacking football. A very good Dublin u20 side beat them. They'll win it out now. If you ever played the game, you might realise that sometimes you dont always win. No disgrace losing to that dublin side.

But in your eyes PJ is no longer an option for the top job. According to yourself, the u20 side were badly coached. Such nonsense. You do realise that they were coached by Divilly and Sammon. Are they bad coaches in your eyes ? These guys are widely respected as top football football coaches in the game and rightly so. They are a credit to Galway football.

Overall, it's been a good year for the u20's. They won the John Kerins cup and a Connacht title .The style of football has been a breath of fresh air. Thats the biggest positive we can take from it. So hard luck to PJ, his backroom team and the players who put in a huge amount of work. I'm sure they'll bounce back in style. Most supporters appreciate the massive effort and commitment shown by all involved.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 28/07/2019 01:01:45    2217364

Link

I think we've all seen U-21 sides in previous years play attacking open football. Why should Joyce be lauded for it more than anyone else?

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 28/07/2019 21:17:02    2217860

Link

I was at the match and felt as the game went on we were being out muscled in almost every position
Strength and conditioning, there was a distance between the teams
Also the concession of two early, essentially soft goals were a sucker punch
For the seniors next year:
Corofin run will be over before the start of the league ( hopefully three in a row in the bag)
Get a better run on injuries
A different coach with a different philosophy, maybe home grown Morris or import Roachford
Hold onto Kevin to pull the strings

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 192 - 28/07/2019 22:31:35    2217903

Link

That defeat yesterday only means one thing.. Kevin Wslsh will be manager for another year..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 28/07/2019 22:44:25    2217910

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Sorry to disappoint you but PJ had a good year. Beaten in the All Ireland Semi by Dublin but otherthan that they unbeaten all year playing attacking football. A very good Dublin u20 side beat them. They'll win it out now. If you ever played the game, you might realise that sometimes you dont always win. No disgrace losing to that dublin side.

But in your eyes PJ is no longer an option for the top job. According to yourself, the u20 side were badly coached. Such nonsense. You do realise that they were coached by Divilly and Sammon. Are they bad coaches in your eyes ? These guys are widely respected as top football football coaches in the game and rightly so. They are a credit to Galway football.

Overall, it's been a good year for the u20's. They won the John Kerins cup and a Connacht title .The style of football has been a breath of fresh air. Thats the biggest positive we can take from it. So hard luck to PJ, his backroom team and the players who put in a huge amount of work. I'm sure they'll bounce back in style. Most supporters appreciate the massive effort and commitment shown by all involved."
Agreed a very good year, but let's not forget a great squad of players. Just like the senior panel a great bunch of players but it how u utilize them. What people need to understand is Counties change and evolve every few years. Look at Dublin at the moment, exceptional at every grade. Some years back it was Kerry. Same in hurling some years back it was kilkenny. Now they are starting to come again. What I'm trying to say is when teams evolve you need the right management in place to bring it a step further. In my personal opinion that is not happening at senior County football level. Furthermore talking about PJ takein senior role is way too soon. We do need change but it has to be someone with a proven track record. Now after saying that Kevin Walsh is a legend in my eyes and always will be. But management needs to see from themselves this is not working its time for a new voice. If that doesn't happen the evolve time will pass us out.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 29/07/2019 01:46:25    2217945

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "I think we've all seen U-21 sides in previous years play attacking open football. Why should Joyce be lauded for it more than anyone else?"
Excellent point. Our 2011 team some of the best attacking play ever seen at that level. It didn't translate to senior success. The minors play a great band of football but strangely nobody on here seems to be hyping their manager up, he has had teams play great football, get to the latter stages of the ch championship and led his club to promotion and a Connacht Intermediate championship.
On PJ, incredible that they did not have a plan at the start for Archer or indeed a kick out strategy to lessen the impact of the 2 midfielders(Ryan was given MOTM)

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 297 - 29/07/2019 08:44:14    2217971

Link

Strange team picked, strange changes made.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 436 - 29/07/2019 09:09:36    2217974

Link

Look it it is quote clear Kevin has lost the dressing room. He has 5 yrs done and if he leaves now he can go with some credibility. We need a new management team it doesn't mean we will win anything but I for one am not going to any more Galway matches until this happens.

Galway2001 (Galway) - Posts: 7 - 29/07/2019 10:08:05    2218005

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Excellent point. Our 2011 team some of the best attacking play ever seen at that level. It didn't translate to senior success. The minors play a great band of football but strangely nobody on here seems to be hyping their manager up, he has had teams play great football, get to the latter stages of the ch championship and led his club to promotion and a Connacht Intermediate championship.
On PJ, incredible that they did not have a plan at the start for Archer or indeed a kick out strategy to lessen the impact of the 2 midfielders(Ryan was given MOTM)"
Well I'd say PJ did put a plan in place for Archer but he wouldn't expect his full back to be pushed out of the way! Unbelievably passive defending.

PJ is a legend (our best player ever perhaps) hence he is hyped up more then the manager of the u 17s.

Give him another year at 20s level and he can step up to the senior team.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 29/07/2019 10:24:23    2218017

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Excellent point. Our 2011 team some of the best attacking play ever seen at that level. It didn't translate to senior success. The minors play a great band of football but strangely nobody on here seems to be hyping their manager up, he has had teams play great football, get to the latter stages of the ch championship and led his club to promotion and a Connacht Intermediate championship.
On PJ, incredible that they did not have a plan at the start for Archer or indeed a kick out strategy to lessen the impact of the 2 midfielders(Ryan was given MOTM)"
Very good point. Dónal Ó Flatharta has been a revelation since staking the minors job and has brought about a lot of success while playing attractive football. His influences was also seen in how well An Spidéal did last year getting promoted to senior but also going on a run winning Connacht and into AI Semifinals.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 29/07/2019 10:32:55    2218023

Link

What about u20 management with Donal o Faharta and up the strength and conditioning has to be a good set up

Galway2001 (Galway) - Posts: 7 - 29/07/2019 11:00:41    2218041

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Well I'd say PJ did put a plan in place for Archer but he wouldn't expect his full back to be pushed out of the way! Unbelievably passive defending.

PJ is a legend (our best player ever perhaps) hence he is hyped up more then the manager of the u 17s.

Give him another year at 20s level and he can step up to the senior team."
It was 2 v 2 after a long ball into the most dangerous forward in the country. Don't hang out Mulkerrin to dry.
When Mulkerrin marked Clifford in 2016, Stephen Joyce had a plan.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 297 - 29/07/2019 11:28:20    2218065

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "It was 2 v 2 after a long ball into the most dangerous forward in the country. Don't hang out Mulkerrin to dry.
When Mulkerrin marked Clifford in 2016, Stephen Joyce had a plan."
He's not being hung out to dry. He is/was our captain and a mainstay of that U20 team. He dealt with both goals poorly. McFadden went onto Archer after that and he didn't get a peep. Players need to take ownership of their own performances too rather than looking to shift the blame. Mulkerrins had a poor game but I'm sure if asked he would go toe to toe with him again.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 441 - 29/07/2019 12:15:45    2218108

Link