Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I attended the Galway Kildare game in Longford in the John Kerins cup in June and posted the following on here

Burke in goal, very composed and looks a good prospect
McFadden and Mulkerrin, aggressive and read the game well.
Campbell and Boyle carried the ball very well, impressive.
Barrett and Tierney, totally dominated and can play ball, won a huge amount of clean kick outs
Cunningham and Costello, very lively and won a lot of ball delivered in.
Silke, different gravy, untouchable a few times today.

Finally, lucky lads to be working under PJ, Divilly, John Concannon, Mike Comer and Alan Keane

Now let me say I am a big fan of PJ and loved him as a player. I am in shock that after 3 months from the above he would be in the running for the senior job. To my knowledge he hasn't even managed a club in Galway.
Has Kevin O'Brien said no, was Michael Donnelan in the running, even Gerry Fahy had a better year at under 21 than PJ, is anyone pushing for him, no. This is a huge risk and he should be doing another 2 years at under 20 in my own opinion.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 304 - 07/09/2019 12:51:05    2233434

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Looking like Padraig at this stage I for one am not convinced yet that he right for job ( great player no doubt class ) look at under 20 this year , won a pre season touarement won Connacht which would be expected as this team had won minor also , ( I know it not always go like that ) in final v mayo took Jack kirrane off after 15 mins no complaints then started him v Dublin took him off after 7 mins , in same match brought on mick cunnane in second half took him off about 10 mins later , in match v Dublin got man marker on Archer wrong from start he had 2 goals got before he was changed . In 2 games I feel he was found wanting with his decision making in regards bring players in taking players off after coming on and in getting match up right ,if he does get it he definitely needs get back room team correct would keep Divilly And Salmon for sure
Only my opinion from watching the games ,"
I'm 100% with you here and several people involved in football have shared the same view with me over the past 3 days. The under 20 team was made up of a cohort of players who won 4 connacht minors and appeared in 2 all ireland finals. We were beaten by Dublin who were in turn hammered by Cork.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 304 - 07/09/2019 13:16:40    2233438

Link

so PJ has got the gig and good luck to him. Nobody outside the county considered due to lack of money. Omens are not good dare i say but good luck to him again.

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 07/09/2019 17:50:02    2233455

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "so PJ has got the gig and good luck to him. Nobody outside the county considered due to lack of money. Omens are not good dare i say but good luck to him again."
Thought you said Kevin was staying ?

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 07/09/2019 20:20:56    2233467

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Thought you said Kevin was staying ?"
What do you think now Belclare?

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 193 - 07/09/2019 21:01:51    2233476

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "so PJ has got the gig and good luck to him. Nobody outside the county considered due to lack of money. Omens are not good dare i say but good luck to him again."
I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Let's examine his credentials:

sharpest tactician? No.

Nevertheless, he has a football philosophy I agree with - unquestionably.

Has he got the force of personality to ensure he gets his full personnel requirements from Co. Board? Yes.

Is he fully open to advice from coaches/staticians? Yes.

Will he make the hard impartial calls - viz. team/match day 26? Yes.

Once Divilly is on board, I'd have no issues...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 331 - 07/09/2019 21:59:59    2233486

Link

Replying To Really:  "I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Let's examine his credentials:

sharpest tactician? No.

Nevertheless, he has a football philosophy I agree with - unquestionably.

Has he got the force of personality to ensure he gets his full personnel requirements from Co. Board? Yes.

Is he fully open to advice from coaches/staticians? Yes.

Will he make the hard impartial calls - viz. team/match day 26? Yes.

Once Divilly is on board, I'd have no issues..."
I don't think he has the time to give to it at present
it suits him to stay with u20s

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1048 - 08/09/2019 00:11:32    2233495

Link

See Dave Morris got a mention in Sarah Dervan's speech as a guest coach-he's fairly getting around

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 340 - 08/09/2019 21:17:17    2233660

Link

I hear a lot about the County Board having no money but in 2019 galway were:
All Ireland minor hurling champs, three in a row
In the minor football final
U20 football semi
Camogie champs
In the ladies final
Not bad
Re the footballers my preference is Morris and a roachford
But PJ, lacking experience, if he gets a proper back room then that is where the money is needed, coach, s and c etc
KW with Tally and Stritch was able to assemble a reasonable back room
Can't see the hassle once the manager appointed has the tools to work on from there

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 193 - 08/09/2019 22:28:32    2233684

Link

PJ is a smart man and will do a great job. Whatever expertise/experience he is lacking he will get added to his team. I see him as a figure head just like he is in business.

Onwards and upwards!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1003 - 08/09/2019 22:38:06    2233688

Link

Anything other than an All Ireland now from new Management a failure I suppose. Walsh got us to League Final, Got us Back to Division one, Connacht Titles, All Ireland Semi... Surely the next manager can push us over the line.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1619 - 09/09/2019 02:30:00    2233712

Link

so its looking like PJ, divilly and rochford!! That would unify the county and bring all corofin on board presumably...good for pj to have a couple years learning before taking over

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 539 - 15/09/2019 12:27:23    2235548

Link

Unify the county? Sweet jesus

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 16/09/2019 09:57:10    2235948

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Anything other than an All Ireland now from new Management a failure I suppose. Walsh got us to League Final, Got us Back to Division one, Connacht Titles, All Ireland Semi... Surely the next manager can push us over the line."
It will take more than a year to get the present galway squad away from the negative lateral football they were playing.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 16/09/2019 12:54:29    2236063

Link

so Rochford now staying with Donegal?

mark992 (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 16/09/2019 14:36:55    2236114

Link

Replying To Toman:  "It will take more than a year to get the present galway squad away from the negative lateral football they were playing."
Not if playing the other way comes naturally to them! "You are talking nonsense. Whoever takes over now is taking over a Division 1 Team, Team with Connacht title experience, Croke Park experience and competing at the top. Which is a lot more than the Shambles Walsh took over. Dont be making excuses for your great manager now, even before you know his name just because he comes from North Galway. We all know the real reason for the disrespect and Hate directed at Walsh. So do now with a Division 1 Team, what Kevin had to do with a Division 2 team and stop your nonsense talk. Another West Man has taken the Minors to two AI, so that will help things also. Big things expected from this next Super Hero Manager. Get on with it.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1619 - 16/09/2019 17:16:02    2236231

Link

Replying To Toman:  "It will take more than a year to get the present galway squad away from the negative lateral football they were playing."
I think I saw the Dubs doing a lot of 'keep the ball' around the middle of the field yesterday and on other occasions too - how many times did man of the match, Ciarán Kilkenny, kick pass the ball, I wonder? Did he kick pass it once?

baire (Galway) - Posts: 769 - 16/09/2019 20:59:58    2236345

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Not if playing the other way comes naturally to them! "You are talking nonsense. Whoever takes over now is taking over a Division 1 Team, Team with Connacht title experience, Croke Park experience and competing at the top. Which is a lot more than the Shambles Walsh took over. Dont be making excuses for your great manager now, even before you know his name just because he comes from North Galway. We all know the real reason for the disrespect and Hate directed at Walsh. So do now with a Division 1 Team, what Kevin had to do with a Division 2 team and stop your nonsense talk. Another West Man has taken the Minors to two AI, so that will help things also. Big things expected from this next Super Hero Manager. Get on with it."
It seems that ur one of those talking nonsense about north v west. If a player is good enough no matter what part of galway then hes good enough. Ur also talking nonsense if u think galway are going to win an all Ireland next year. Win Connacht and get to quarter finals are they will do well for first year. The following year we should be pushing it further.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 16/09/2019 21:44:18    2236374

Link

Replying To Toman:  "It seems that ur one of those talking nonsense about north v west. If a player is good enough no matter what part of galway then hes good enough. Ur also talking nonsense if u think galway are going to win an all Ireland next year. Win Connacht and get to quarter finals are they will do well for first year. The following year we should be pushing it further."
Well if its backwards a new Management is going why bother. At least I am man enough to acknowledge there is a big West V East issue, Coroffin players refused to play under him. We don't need a Connacht title, Walsh has achieved that, got us to A I Semi... Not looking for an A I, get to final.. Otherwise changing Walsh was pointless.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1619 - 17/09/2019 00:09:50    2236427

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "so its looking like PJ, divilly and rochford!! That would unify the county and bring all corofin on board presumably...good for pj to have a couple years learning before taking over"
I am afraid the only A I medals the Coroffin players will see are parish, local, Club medals... Real County players who win the real A I Medals, ie, SAM always put their County First and respect their Manager and fellow players. One Proper SAM Medal is better than a Tractor full of that other junk.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1619 - 17/09/2019 00:19:29    2236428

Link