Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Jim McGuinness, Malachy O Rorke, Liam Kerins, Anthony Cunningham.............

Mother of God. If you thought the football was boring under Kevin the above names will get u to take up watching dressage!

Next manager has to be someone that plays to our strengths and cannot be negative. Wheater we are entitled to them or not we have notions about ourselves in Galway and how we want to play. The only way to get the support behind us is play some sort of attacking style (hopefully mixed with pragmatism).

People talk about PJ not having experience, and possible not in coaching but with the right experience team around him he would be a hearty figure head. Some managers are coaches, some are facilitators.... many ways to skin a cat.

Morris is very highly regarded and would be a big addition to any if the mgt tickets.

Hopefully all sorted soon.

Would new manager approach young Gavin in Dublin to see if he'll switch?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1006 - 05/09/2019 22:57:02    2233178

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Is this double act still coming and are you still happy Belclare ??"
They would like to, however all will depend on our county board. One of them is out of the country for a week on hols. All will be revealed in the next ten days, however I believe our county board will take the cheapest option..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 05/09/2019 22:59:34    2233179

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "They would like to, however all will depend on our county board. One of them is out of the country for a week on hols. All will be revealed in the next ten days, however I believe our county board will take the cheapest option.."
Hopefully they won't
Need success to improve attendances and gate receipts

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 195 - 06/09/2019 09:13:34    2233215

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Was he not heavily involved with the 2013 u21 all Ireland winning team who played very attractive football? Sometimes the 'lesser' name is better. If Flynn got it I would see this as the transitionary period before maybe PJ with more experience would be an option. Also cost less than risking on someone like McGuinness or Malachy O'Rourke. Remember O'Rourke while he did well in Monaghan came up short and expectations would be higher in Galway given our tradition and relative success."
Transitionary period?

Are you Joking? This team is a mix of two All Ireland u21 winning teams that is right in its prime.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 06/09/2019 09:20:18    2233217

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Transitionary period?

Are you Joking? This team is a mix of two All Ireland u21 winning teams that is right in its prime."
The last time we had two All Ireland u21 winning teams (2002 & 2005) that were 'right in it's prime', we were exiting the championship to teams like Antrim & Wexford. Some people need to cop themselves on here about the talent level that we're dealing with. We are 2-2 with Roscommon in the last 4 provincials, and no one thinks Ros are 'underachieving'. Maybe we aren't that great? It was probably hard to tell whether we were any good or not for the last few seasons, because our system of play tended to be the overriding feature in all of our games. Even when we beat a Mayo or a Kerry in championship '16 '17 'or '18, it was possibly 'the system', rather than the level football, or the level of footballers, achieving those milestone results. An exciting feature of any prospective new management regime is that we'll likely 'open it up'. We won't be long finding out then, if we're as good as we think we are.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2297 - 06/09/2019 09:52:18    2233229

Link

Flynn was a selector during the Mulholland reign. He just doesn't strike me as the man to bring this team forward for this reason and also the way he set up Annaghdown during his time with them. Rochford would be the preferred as he has experience of going toe to toe with the dubs and has now a year with Donegal under his belt. He also isnt afraid to think outside the box and trust his players with tasks that most other managers would think weren't in their skill set i.e putting O'Shea full back on Donaghy in 2017. However, I won't get my hopes up on securing Rochford until we see the nominations that the clubs have submitted on 18th September.

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 06/09/2019 12:40:19    2233269

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "Flynn was a selector during the Mulholland reign. He just doesn't strike me as the man to bring this team forward for this reason and also the way he set up Annaghdown during his time with them. Rochford would be the preferred as he has experience of going toe to toe with the dubs and has now a year with Donegal under his belt. He also isnt afraid to think outside the box and trust his players with tasks that most other managers would think weren't in their skill set i.e putting O'Shea full back on Donaghy in 2017. However, I won't get my hopes up on securing Rochford until we see the nominations that the clubs have submitted on 18th September."
Ya. But don't forget he was also the manager during the goal keeping fiasco when they could and should have won an all Ireland.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 181 - 06/09/2019 12:51:10    2233273

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Jim McGuinness, Malachy O Rorke, Liam Kerins, Anthony Cunningham.............

Mother of God. If you thought the football was boring under Kevin the above names will get u to take up watching dressage!

Next manager has to be someone that plays to our strengths and cannot be negative. Wheater we are entitled to them or not we have notions about ourselves in Galway and how we want to play. The only way to get the support behind us is play some sort of attacking style (hopefully mixed with pragmatism).

People talk about PJ not having experience, and possible not in coaching but with the right experience team around him he would be a hearty figure head. Some managers are coaches, some are facilitators.... many ways to skin a cat.

Morris is very highly regarded and would be a big addition to any if the mgt tickets.

Hopefully all sorted soon.

Would new manager approach young Gavin in Dublin to see if he'll switch?"
They had no interest in Darren Gavin even when told about him, till after he won man of the match in an U 21 All Ireland final. If he was not injured he would have probably being playing in an All Ireland senior final last week. He wouldn't be foolish enough to leave the Dubs set up to come to the mess in Galway.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 06/09/2019 13:43:38    2233294

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "The last time we had two All Ireland u21 winning teams (2002 & 2005) that were 'right in it's prime', we were exiting the championship to teams like Antrim & Wexford. Some people need to cop themselves on here about the talent level that we're dealing with. We are 2-2 with Roscommon in the last 4 provincials, and no one thinks Ros are 'underachieving'. Maybe we aren't that great? It was probably hard to tell whether we were any good or not for the last few seasons, because our system of play tended to be the overriding feature in all of our games. Even when we beat a Mayo or a Kerry in championship '16 '17 'or '18, it was possibly 'the system', rather than the level football, or the level of footballers, achieving those milestone results. An exciting feature of any prospective new management regime is that we'll likely 'open it up'. We won't be long finding out then, if we're as good as we think we are."
Milestone results. Beating a Kerry team that had a manager who had long outstayed his welcome and Mayo teams timing a run for September (though satisfying) are far from milestone results. Do you remember the milestone result when KW gave a debut at full-back to his fellow club man against Kieran Donaghy? How about the milestone result when we led Donegal in Croke Park in the second half and ended up losing by about 10 points with Shane Walsh getting splinters on the bench? Another 2 milestone results this year against a Mayo team on it's last legs and a Roscommon team who went on to be obliterated by Tyrone and then by Dublin's reserves! It only took Peter Keane less than a year to do what KW couldn't get anywhere near to doing in 5 and with not much better material and he didn't do it by having 6 forwards chasing into their own half 20 seconds into matches.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 06/09/2019 15:00:35    2233324

Link

Replying To BleedingMaroon:  "KW is a legend and a decent man. We would not have won all Ireland's with out him. If fit, we would have beaten Kerry in 2000. He has turned around our fortunes and allowed us to take on the top teams. They don't like us cos we started taking them on. Can't be judged on this year because of injuries but I think he has taken the team as far as he could go and probably showed that by bowing to public opinion in a couple of games this year.
Time to move on.
On the other big topic of a free taker, we should forget about Shane Walsh. He needs to concentrate on what he does best. I thought Mc Hugh could do a dean rock who started out pretty poor in open play but not anymore. Maybe the new management might mean another chance for him. Would love if Cooke could get the psychology right because he is beginning to fulfill his potential in open play. I don't see why we can't get one of our goalies to hit the long range frees 45 and out to take that pressure off. They seem to be accurate enough and they are not aiming for moving targets as per kick outs.
Anyway onwards and upwards. We have the players.
If nothing else the next few months will fill us with hope."
Kevin Walsh; Impossible to replace............as a midfielder, impossible to be worse as a manager.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 06/09/2019 15:09:28    2233327

Link

Rochford and Morris should be only show in town. Do what it takes to get them. They both know what it takes to succeed at the highest level. They will generate huge interest again. Interest will generate money. Thank Kevin walsh for giving us a serious platform to build from.

Nogoal (Galway) - Posts: 19 - 06/09/2019 15:27:44    2233330

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "Kevin Walsh; Impossible to replace............as a midfielder, impossible to be worse as a manager."
You must not remember the Joe Kernan, Liam Sammon, Peter Ford, Alan Mulholland and Tomás O Fatharta days.

Walsh was the second most successful manager we have had since the 90s whatever way you slice it.

2019 was desperate but people have very short memories.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 265 - 06/09/2019 16:51:55    2233350

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "Kevin Walsh; Impossible to replace............as a midfielder, impossible to be worse as a manager."
It must be miserable being so bitter. Gaining div 1 status and retaining it plus 2 connacht title and reaching a semi final for the 1st time in 17 years. If it's impossible to have a worse manager we are guaranteed an all ireland final next year so

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 985 - 06/09/2019 16:57:38    2233352

Link

In response to Festinog (Galway) and my proposal to consider John O'Mahony as Galway senior football manager I would like to state that my opinion it very sincere. As we all know Mick Byrne was phsio to the Irish international soccer team in the Charlton and MC Carthy era and he was also physio with O'Mahony during his successful terms with Leitrim and Galway. Mick Byrne expressed his opinion when I put it to him that O'Mahony was a superior manager. He was impressed not only with his managerial skills as coach and motivator but also his attention to the small detail. I gave examples of those so called details that you took issue with in my letter. However I can take it you agree with the rest of my letter that in respect to all potential managers linked with the job that John O'Mahony is more qualified as on his CV. I would like the County board to at least short list him provided he agrees himself.

Padraiciarchonnacht (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 06/09/2019 20:30:28    2233369

Link

In response to Festinog (Galway) and my proposal to consider John O'Mahony as Galway senior football manager I would like to state that my opinion it very sincere. As we all know Mick Byrne was phsio to the Irish international soccer team in the Charlton and MC Carthy era and he was also physio with O'Mahony during his successful terms with Leitrim and Galway. Mick Byrne expressed his opinion when I put it to him that O'Mahony was a superior manager. He was impressed not only with his managerial skills as coach and motivator but also his attention to the small detail. I gave examples of those so called details that you took issue with in my letter. However I can take it you agree with the rest of my letter that in respect to all potential managers linked with the job that John O'Mahony is more qualified as on his CV. I would like the County board to at least short list him provided he agrees himself.

Padraiciarchonnacht (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 06/09/2019 20:32:12    2233370

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "You must not remember the Joe Kernan, Liam Sammon, Peter Ford, Alan Mulholland and Tomás O Fatharta days.

Walsh was the second most successful manager we have had since the 90s whatever way you slice it.

2019 was desperate but people have very short memories."
I remember the Liam Sammon days, Galway played great football,won Connacht and were only beaten by the All Ireland champions Kerry after a wonderful attacking game of football in monsoon conditions in Croke Park. Then what did we do...instead of building on that we got rid of Liam after only 12 months and brought down Joe Kernan, (sorry flew down) from Armagh and that my friend in my opinion was the day the music died.

1st..sub (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 06/09/2019 20:51:14    2233375

Link

Replying To 1st..sub:  "I remember the Liam Sammon days, Galway played great football,won Connacht and were only beaten by the All Ireland champions Kerry after a wonderful attacking game of football in monsoon conditions in Croke Park. Then what did we do...instead of building on that we got rid of Liam after only 12 months and brought down Joe Kernan, (sorry flew down) from Armagh and that my friend in my opinion was the day the music died."
I think you're missing a year there. What about 2009? The 'great' game that Kerry scored what they wanted, whenever they wanted it, was 2008. Kernan was 2010. The year in between was 2009. Last minute loss to Mayo in Salthill, and a fairly abject exit to a Donegal side that was 'at nothing' by their own account in those days. Salmon must have had another go in 2009. The 'mistake' was thinking that we had potential in 2009, and spending a lot on Kernan in '10 to find out that we hadn't, and it was Mayo who had all the potential at the time. We could be on the verge of making a similar 'discovery' with this appointment, and might be pining for 'the blanket' sooner rather than later in 2020.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2297 - 06/09/2019 21:51:36    2233380

Link

Replying To 1st..sub:  "I remember the Liam Sammon days, Galway played great football,won Connacht and were only beaten by the All Ireland champions Kerry after a wonderful attacking game of football in monsoon conditions in Croke Park. Then what did we do...instead of building on that we got rid of Liam after only 12 months and brought down Joe Kernan, (sorry flew down) from Armagh and that my friend in my opinion was the day the music died."
Liam was in charge in 2009 also
Lost to Mayo by a point in the Conn final in Pearse and six days later were knocked out on a Saturday evening v Donegal in Sligo, by I think one point also

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 195 - 06/09/2019 21:51:47    2233381

Link

Looks like PJ will get it and its mostly to do with him being the cheapest option i think.
Rochford be too expensive, he knows what it takes off the field in terms of funding and its something Kevin Walsh gave out about.
PJ wouldnt fully know but he sees an oppourtunity. He will bring back excitement and attacking football. He will need to put his stamp on the team and i think that will be going with youth and a running/kicking game similar to Corofin but wont be as good.
One big thing he needs to do is get a good defence/tackling coach. Kerry/Dublin/Mayo/Donegal all built on tackling and turnovers. Kevin Walsh seemed to have it right at one stage but lost it again.
Everyone talking about the attacking football that is going to come but there was a reason Kevin Walsh was so defencesive

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 337 - 07/09/2019 11:58:12    2233426

Link

Looking like Padraig at this stage I for one am not convinced yet that he right for job ( great player no doubt class ) look at under 20 this year , won a pre season touarement won Connacht which would be expected as this team had won minor also , ( I know it not always go like that ) in final v mayo took Jack kirrane off after 15 mins no complaints then started him v Dublin took him off after 7 mins , in same match brought on mick cunnane in second half took him off about 10 mins later , in match v Dublin got man marker on Archer wrong from start he had 2 goals got before he was changed . In 2 games I feel he was found wanting with his decision making in regards bring players in taking players off after coming on and in getting match up right ,if he does get it he definitely needs get back room team correct would keep Divilly And Salmon for sure
Only my opinion from watching the games ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 338 - 07/09/2019 12:13:44    2233428

Link