Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To squares_edge:  "flynn is a coach, morris is an anlyst and coach...the only managers mentioned are rochford and PJ (albeit inexperienced)
it seems we are picking from a small pool with funds insufficient to go outside the county for a 'big name', type eg malachy o rourke
for me it needs to be morris and whomever he will work with if thats flynn then great kevin o brien then him PJ then him but he needs to be involved"
I know his name isnt in the running but Malachy o Rourke would be the absolute dream manager

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 977 - 04/09/2019 21:25:33    2232879

Link

Has John Sugrue got a mention? Seemed popular down in Laois anyway.

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 31 - 04/09/2019 21:47:08    2232887

Link

Replying To Goitse:  "Has John Sugrue got a mention? Seemed popular down in Laois anyway."
Whoever it is I hope the Galway GAA public thank Kevin Walsh for what he did . Much like Eamonn Fitzmaurice In Kerry Kevin started at ground level and put down foundations in the shape of structures ,S&C, drills, build from defensive strategies not always not always a popular process but oh so necessary ,He insisted in the importance of diet ,putting an end to the alcohol culture, endemic in GAA circles, this in spite of Central Councils attempt to tackle the malaise of alcohol and other drugs. Kevin won Connacht titles knocking Mayo off their perch West of the Shannon . His time was up no doubt but he has left Galway in a better position with the nucleus of a young team there for Rochford, Joyce or whoever it will be. I hope his success rather than his failures take centre stage Through the years I have many great friends in Galway as in Kerry and it is never nice to hear the high stool 'periti ' tear down people who have the courage and generosity to put their necks on the block for what Jim Gavin calls the 'collective ' Kevin did wonders for Sligo almost toppling Kerry in Tralee in 09 Sligo people content wit small mercies are ever grateful to him he was a great player and very good coach and manager , Ba cheart buíochas a gabháil leis.

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 721 - 05/09/2019 05:46:57    2232917

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Does anyone know what the process and timeline are for the appointment ........
...I know I'm making a leap of faith assuming there is a process!"
Yes, believe it or not! Ah Ref on Twitter saying county board want nominees from clubs by Wednesday September 18th, with written permission from the nominee. So who is nominating who? Corofin surely back Rochford and Morris if they want it?

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 169 - 05/09/2019 07:47:46    2232920

Link

Alan Flynn in pole position to get Galway manager job

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 05/09/2019 09:02:08    2232933

Link

Strong rumours Alan Flynn is front runner for galway job

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 05/09/2019 10:22:51    2232953

Link

Alan Flynn is Definitely a Front Runner...
Padraic Joyce/John Divilly also
Liam Kearns interested but will have to get a club or a county board nomination
John Maughan interested from what im hearing also ..could be a Dark Horse...

smokeygaa (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 05/09/2019 12:08:56    2232989

Link

Is there any talk/hope of Jim McGuinness getting the job?

Defensive system has drastically improved Galway - why not bring in the man who created it.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 05/09/2019 12:18:13    2232995

Link

Maurice Sheridan has plenty of knowledge of galway players through being involved with NUIG. Maybe he may seek nomination

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 05/09/2019 12:55:13    2233011

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Is there any talk/hope of Jim McGuinness getting the job?

Defensive system has drastically improved Galway - why not bring in the man who created it."
Bring in Jim McGuinness are u serious. Do you want the County board to take a pay cut.. sorry expenses cut

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 05/09/2019 12:55:13    2233012

Link

God help us if Flynn gets the job he'd make kevin look like an attacking genius just look back to when he was involved with annaghdown 15 behind the ball terrible stuff

minor77 (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 05/09/2019 14:13:11    2233039

Link

No dinosaurs like Maughan or Kearns should be considered.

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 716 - 05/09/2019 15:13:56    2233063

Link

Replying To minor77:  "God help us if Flynn gets the job he'd make kevin look like an attacking genius just look back to when he was involved with annaghdown 15 behind the ball terrible stuff"
Ya but look when he was involved with Tuam, he had them pinching way above their weight. If he was defensive with Annaghdown its because u can only work with the tools u are given.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 05/09/2019 15:46:44    2233073

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Ya but look when he was involved with Tuam, he had them pinching way above their weight. If he was defensive with Annaghdown its because u can only work with the tools u are given."
Have to agree, good coach of under age lads, not so much with men, caused unease in camp in my view.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 05/09/2019 19:16:02    2233125

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Yes... Double act coming in.... out of the blue but I'm happy"
Is this double act still coming and are you still happy Belclare ??

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 193 - 05/09/2019 19:35:47    2233128

Link

Replying To minor77:  "God help us if Flynn gets the job he'd make kevin look like an attacking genius just look back to when he was involved with annaghdown 15 behind the ball terrible stuff"
Was he not heavily involved with the 2013 u21 all Ireland winning team who played very attractive football? Sometimes the 'lesser' name is better. If Flynn got it I would see this as the transitionary period before maybe PJ with more experience would be an option. Also cost less than risking on someone like McGuinness or Malachy O'Rourke. Remember O'Rourke while he did well in Monaghan came up short and expectations would be higher in Galway given our tradition and relative success.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1639 - 05/09/2019 19:36:19    2233129

Link

I wouldn't let O'Rourke near it.

What did he do outside of Ulster? Nothing!!

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 236 - 05/09/2019 20:19:44    2233137

Link

In my opinion there is no candidate better equipped to lead our footballers after Kevin than the mighty John O'Mahony. John is still involved in gaelic coaching in Westmeath and recently was part of Leitrim management set up. He is the only manager to bring real success to Galway since 1966. I met Mick Byrne former Irish physio at a sports event in Dublin a few years back. I asked him how would he compare John with Jack Charlton and Mick MC Cathy. Without hesitation he chose John. His attention to detail was asome. For example Mick told me than John even checked the air pressure on tyres of team bus and also personally checked air ventilation of team hotel rooms before booking them. Mick Mc Cathy is managing the Irish soccer team and there is a better man idle and ready for action. There is a huge demand for attacking football in Galway so John is your man. John is still a very young man and about to get out of politics and so for common sense to
prevail would our county board talk to him

Padraiciarchonnacht (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 05/09/2019 20:56:42    2233145

Link

In my opinion there is no candidate better equipped to lead our footballers after Kevin than the mighty John O'Mahony. John is still involved in gaelic coaching in Westmeath and recently was part of Leitrim management set up. He is the only manager to bring real success to Galway since 1966. I met Mick Byrne former Irish physio at a sports event in Dublin a few years back. I asked him how would he compare John with Jack Charlton and Mick MC Cathy. Without hesitation he chose John. His attention to detail was asome. For example Mick told me than John even checked the air pressure on tyres of team bus and also personally checked air ventilation of team hotel rooms before booking them. Mick Mc Cathy is managing the Irish soccer team and there is a better man idle and ready for action. There is a huge demand for attacking football in Galway so John is your man. John is still a very young man and about to get out of politics and so for common sense to
prevail would our county board talk to him

Padraiciarchonnacht (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 05/09/2019 20:57:28    2233146

Link

Replying To Padraiciarchonnacht:  "In my opinion there is no candidate better equipped to lead our footballers after Kevin than the mighty John O'Mahony. John is still involved in gaelic coaching in Westmeath and recently was part of Leitrim management set up. He is the only manager to bring real success to Galway since 1966. I met Mick Byrne former Irish physio at a sports event in Dublin a few years back. I asked him how would he compare John with Jack Charlton and Mick MC Cathy. Without hesitation he chose John. His attention to detail was asome. For example Mick told me than John even checked the air pressure on tyres of team bus and also personally checked air ventilation of team hotel rooms before booking them. Mick Mc Cathy is managing the Irish soccer team and there is a better man idle and ready for action. There is a huge demand for attacking football in Galway so John is your man. John is still a very young man and about to get out of politics and so for common sense to
prevail would our county board talk to him"
I can't decide if your post is serious or a massive p-take. Checking air pressure as a sign of genius? Him over two soccer coaches?

I take it back, I've decided. You're definitely taking the p.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2748 - 05/09/2019 22:30:29    2233166

Link