Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Gunfighter:  "Roachford would be a very uninspiring appointment.He was around for years.Made his name winning a club all-ireland with Corofin.He was well thought off there,but surely there is 100 coaches that could have won with them.
Never beat Galway as Mayo manager.He made a hames of an all-Ireland final.
I got the impression neither the players or the fans thought too much of him.No one put up much of a fight for him
when he was let go.
Has he really brought that much to the table with Donegal?
We would be getting more of a Peter Forde than a John O'Mahony.
There is some fine football coaches out of a job at the minute if Galway have the ambition to go out and get them.
Liam Kerins deserves a big job.
John Sugrue was excellent with Laois,maybe a bit far away.
Cian O'Neill s a young manager would could do something big.
All would be a risk and expensive,but lets not just settle for the easiest option."
"Never beat Galway as mayo manager" yeh sure that's a good enough reason not to give him the job.
Let's look at what he has done though....
Managed a team to a club all ireland
Managed a team to within an ass's roar of beating the best team ever in all Ireland finals...twice, 3times if you count the reply
Managed a county u21 team
Coached a team in a different province (Who are raving about him)
But sure he wasn't good enough to beat Galway so let's not give him the job.
He's by far the most qualified and best candidate for the job. And has a better cv than any of the others mentioned will probably ever have.

mkeary5 (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 04/09/2019 10:52:57    2232664

Link

Rochford is now 6/4 favourite with Boyles.

He's the most qualified candidate for the job. I just hope Joyce stays where he is but I do think he'd stand more chance of assembling a more expensive management team than any other candidate.

What are peoples thoughts on our minor manager?

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 04/09/2019 11:14:34    2232669

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Rochford is now 6/4 favourite with Boyles.

He's the most qualified candidate for the job. I just hope Joyce stays where he is but I do think he'd stand more chance of assembling a more expensive management team than any other candidate.

What are peoples thoughts on our minor manager?"
Ducky is a good guy and I think his An Spidéal and Minor teams play very open attacking attractive football. Similar to what people want PJ to bring i suppose. I'd be pretty fearful such an approach might see us roasted at IC level.

Rochford is the obvious candidate. If a major county job opened up somewhere else tomorrow and they were willing to take an outsider as Manager (obviously wont happen in Kerry or Dublin) then Rochford would be their number 1 target too. PJ to me is the romantics choice but he still needs a few years at U20 and preferably (since u20 play so few games and are basically dormant 10 months of the year) a key role at a Galway senior club/ NUIG imo.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 265 - 04/09/2019 11:33:11    2232676

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Alan Flynn has a far better record of coaching than PJ."
Not at club level. Annaghdown looked blunt last year. The tactic was mass defence and lump it up to comer.

jam83 (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 04/09/2019 11:50:42    2232682

Link

Replying To jam83:  "Not at club level. Annaghdown looked blunt last year. The tactic was mass defence and lump it up to comer."
He was also behind Tuam playing into a gale against Corofin in the county final when winning the toss. Game was over after 15 mins.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 865 - 04/09/2019 12:02:11    2232687

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Topical County Board."
The Co Board had nothing to do with Galways recent style of football or lack thereof.
There were plenty of recommendations put to Kevin over the last few years and not many were implemented.
Kevin had his 5 years and was well supported by the Co Board.
Lets leave the recommendations going forward to the next manager.
Fair play to him, legendary leader of men and footballer.
He's made the right decision both for himself and Galway football and I wish him the best of luck.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 238 - 04/09/2019 12:02:27    2232688

Link

Replying To jam83:  "Not at club level. Annaghdown looked blunt last year. The tactic was mass defence and lump it up to comer."
I thought he had left Annaghdown last year to spend it working with Tuam and the Clare footballers

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 04/09/2019 12:10:45    2232695

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "I thought he had left Annaghdown last year to spend it working with Tuam and the Clare footballers"
Was he not with Kildare this past year? Clare the year before, and yeah some involvement with Annaghdown but he wasn't the manager even though I did see that listed in a program at one stage.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 169 - 04/09/2019 12:52:40    2232715

Link

Alot of the u20 management team currently in the running according to the bookies - Joyce, Divilly, Salmon and Rhatigan !!

ned_flanders (Galway) - Posts: 43 - 04/09/2019 13:05:09    2232722

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "The Galway bay fm interview with Pat Kearney was cringe stuff.
Keith Finnegan licking up to him , at least Ollie Turner questioned Kearney on Kevin's statement regarding facilities, preparing teams, structures etc. Kearney brushed it off saying " we have two pitches in Loughgeorge, great facilities"
Its plainly obvious where all the issues lie in Gslway gaa and it's our county board.
No wonder we are looking for two managers and my fear is Rochford or Joyce or anyone with a brain may well stay away..."
I think Galway GAA has major problems in the county board it reminds me of john delaney and the FAI something is rotten.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 04/09/2019 13:38:03    2232736

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "The Co Board had nothing to do with Galways recent style of football or lack thereof.
There were plenty of recommendations put to Kevin over the last few years and not many were implemented.
Kevin had his 5 years and was well supported by the Co Board.
Lets leave the recommendations going forward to the next manager.
Fair play to him, legendary leader of men and footballer.
He's made the right decision both for himself and Galway football and I wish him the best of luck."
What recommendations were made & not implemented , by whom were the recommendations made.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 862 - 04/09/2019 13:41:56    2232737

Link

Replying To ned_flanders:  "Alot of the u20 management team currently in the running according to the bookies - Joyce, Divilly, Salmon and Rhatigan !!"
I think Alan Flynn should definitely be on the list for selectors. He is a fantastic coach, great knowledge of the game. On top of this Alan has a great insight into who's going well club wise. I was picking up a relation of mine at st Jarlaths one evening. Alan was doing the training session. Everyone of the lads came off the pitch buzzing.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 179 - 04/09/2019 14:34:55    2232754

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Alan Flynn has a far better record of coaching than PJ."
No reason he cant be there either. Look at all Tipp hurlers have.
PJ would add a presence and would get huge respect off all players. He is also an advocate for positive style football and may help get the best from our forwards.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 119 - 04/09/2019 15:33:01    2232780

Link

Replying To Toman:  "I think Alan Flynn should definitely be on the list for selectors. He is a fantastic coach, great knowledge of the game. On top of this Alan has a great insight into who's going well club wise. I was picking up a relation of mine at st Jarlaths one evening. Alan was doing the training session. Everyone of the lads came off the pitch buzzing."
Yeah I've heard a lot of good being said about him. Don't think he should be the manager but it would be great to get him involved in some way. Always gotten high praise as a trainer.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 169 - 04/09/2019 15:48:41    2232787

Link

flynn is a coach, morris is an anlyst and coach...the only managers mentioned are rochford and PJ (albeit inexperienced)
it seems we are picking from a small pool with funds insufficient to go outside the county for a 'big name', type eg malachy o rourke
for me it needs to be morris and whomever he will work with if thats flynn then great kevin o brien then him PJ then him but he needs to be involved

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 540 - 04/09/2019 19:09:49    2232845

Link

Does anyone know what the process and timeline are for the appointment ........
...I know I'm making a leap of faith assuming there is a process!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1005 - 04/09/2019 19:44:38    2232856

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "What recommendations were made & not implemented , by whom were the recommendations made."
Don't ask such ridiculous questions, that would be like asking the county board to provide receipts and reasons for their credit card usage.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 985 - 04/09/2019 20:14:49    2232862

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Does anyone know what the process and timeline are for the appointment ........
...I know I'm making a leap of faith assuming there is a process!"
They normally have a board meeting and come up with a selection committee, the clubs then get invited to a board meeting and nominate candidates. The board send away the selection committee to go away and meet them, they then come back with a recommendation which the board and clubs usually ratify. Already(yesterday) there have been clubs approached by potential managers from outside the county.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 304 - 04/09/2019 20:56:37    2232872

Link

Would like to see the players take a stance here and demand a proper coaching and management set up going forward. To be fair to the hurlers they re-acted to MD stepping down. Dave Morris for me should be involved in this process either directly on management team or in determining alternative to Kevin. County board have responsibility to ensure we dont go backwards. Take the bull by the horn and go after the best!

Nogoal (Galway) - Posts: 19 - 04/09/2019 21:12:02    2232875

Link

And also worth remembering, the circuit of lads on the inter county circuit is small and they all know each other. The following people are likely to have missed calls over the past day from potential managers.
Alan Flynn, David Morris, Mike Solan, Billy Sheehan, John Donnellan, Kevin Johnston, Steven Poacher, Peter Canavan, Marty McElkennon, Jonny McGee

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 304 - 04/09/2019 21:15:21    2232877

Link