Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FallenStar:  "Queue the celebrations from the "purists" and the homepage."
Sorry but that's not true at all...there can be no celebrations when a genuine Galway legend like KW has thought it best to resign. We knew it was time, he knew it was right.

He's played his part in improving the team but knew like MD with the hurlers that someone new is needed to take things on with new ideas to freshen a very young side up. That's brave of him and adds lustre to his stature within the county so all credit to him.

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 03/09/2019 13:12:09    2232368

Link

Kevin did a very good job for galway Football. I was always more on his side in terms of modern game necessities than the Catch and Kick brigade side even if we did go a bit too defensive at times. After 2006-2014 of being absolutely wide open soft and "Arsenal" like in terms of being a team other teams loved to play against the hard edge and semblence of a defensive plan was badly needed after the previous managers.

It reached a natural end this summer. The time was right to move on. I wish the new man well no matter what part of the county he is from , if he is from any part at all. Rochford would be my personal choice.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 03/09/2019 13:47:41    2232383

Link

Still doubt being expressed re Rochford appointment. Donegal gave go ahead for their manager to retain his backup team, that's all. Rochford has agreed to be next manager, he and Morris, joint managers. Easy decision for him i would have thought. Manager of a DIV 1 team in a county he knows well. He will do well to improve on KWs effort. However, he has a better CV going into the job than KW had 5 years ago. All-Ireland Club title with a Galway team. Lost an AI with Mayo by a point with a team containing many who did not want him. He is as good as there is out there and a gentleman also. I am sure we will see the sad departure of a few great Galway servants over the coming weeks. Interesting times ahead if we can get a full squad fit for 2020.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 03/09/2019 14:26:00    2232401

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Kevin did a very good job for galway Football. I was always more on his side in terms of modern game necessities than the Catch and Kick brigade side even if we did go a bit too defensive at times. After 2006-2014 of being absolutely wide open soft and "Arsenal" like in terms of being a team other teams loved to play against the hard edge and semblence of a defensive plan was badly needed after the previous managers.

It reached a natural end this summer. The time was right to move on. I wish the new man well no matter what part of the county he is from , if he is from any part at all. Rochford would be my personal choice."
Good Post, and dont forget we were loved by other counties when we played "traditional" football. Hated by Kerry, Mayo etc. last few years, I wonder why!!

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 304 - 03/09/2019 14:49:09    2232414

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Good Post, and dont forget we were loved by other counties when we played "traditional" football. Hated by Kerry, Mayo etc. last few years, I wonder why!!"
Exactly. I always laugh when i see lads like Mike Quirke and Tomas O Se talking about how Galway used to play great open football - ie come to croke park and take a 7 pt beating off kerry without laying a glove on them in anger- and that we should go back to those days

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 03/09/2019 15:32:37    2232435

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "Still doubt being expressed re Rochford appointment. Donegal gave go ahead for their manager to retain his backup team, that's all. Rochford has agreed to be next manager, he and Morris, joint managers. Easy decision for him i would have thought. Manager of a DIV 1 team in a county he knows well. He will do well to improve on KWs effort. However, he has a better CV going into the job than KW had 5 years ago. All-Ireland Club title with a Galway team. Lost an AI with Mayo by a point with a team containing many who did not want him. He is as good as there is out there and a gentleman also. I am sure we will see the sad departure of a few great Galway servants over the coming weeks. Interesting times ahead if we can get a full squad fit for 2020."
Considering the type of player Rochford picked in the Mayo half back line you would have to think its curtains for GOD and borrowed time for Bradshaw. Other than that i doubt there will be too many lads going off the panel. We've a great age profile of lads around 24-27.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 03/09/2019 15:35:30    2232438

Link

If Rochford has committed to Donegal for another year would Liam Kearns be an option?
A Kerry man with very good experience of previously managing inter county teams. I don't think he has found a team since resigning from Tipp? I am sure he has built up a lot of contacts over the years in terms of S&C and high performance coaches. Divilly and PJ would be good selectors to join him.

Either-way I think PJ and Divilly should be part of backroom team.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 119 - 03/09/2019 15:56:05    2232454

Link

I see the county board completely deleted the bit KW said about making recommendations in their press release of his statement this morning.
So they actually doctored his statement to take out the recommendations that made them look inept. Wtf.

jam83 (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 03/09/2019 16:14:30    2232460

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "If Rochford has committed to Donegal for another year would Liam Kearns be an option?
A Kerry man with very good experience of previously managing inter county teams. I don't think he has found a team since resigning from Tipp? I am sure he has built up a lot of contacts over the years in terms of S&C and high performance coaches. Divilly and PJ would be good selectors to join him.

Either-way I think PJ and Divilly should be part of backroom team."
I feel PJ & Divilly should be left with the U20 team for now. The minor team from last year was a very good one and if they progress forwards we should have a very strong U20 team next year with a few of this years minor team joining them.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 03/09/2019 17:20:12    2232477

Link

Replying To jam83:  "I see the county board completely deleted the bit KW said about making recommendations in their press release of his statement this morning.
So they actually doctored his statement to take out the recommendations that made them look inept. Wtf."
Topical County Board.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 172 - 03/09/2019 18:08:06    2232499

Link

KW is a legend and a decent man. We would not have won all Ireland's with out him. If fit, we would have beaten Kerry in 2000. He has turned around our fortunes and allowed us to take on the top teams. They don't like us cos we started taking them on. Can't be judged on this year because of injuries but I think he has taken the team as far as he could go and probably showed that by bowing to public opinion in a couple of games this year.
Time to move on.
On the other big topic of a free taker, we should forget about Shane Walsh. He needs to concentrate on what he does best. I thought Mc Hugh could do a dean rock who started out pretty poor in open play but not anymore. Maybe the new management might mean another chance for him. Would love if Cooke could get the psychology right because he is beginning to fulfill his potential in open play. I don't see why we can't get one of our goalies to hit the long range frees 45 and out to take that pressure off. They seem to be accurate enough and they are not aiming for moving targets as per kick outs.
Anyway onwards and upwards. We have the players.
If nothing else the next few months will fill us with hope.

BleedingMaroon (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 03/09/2019 19:18:26    2232524

Link

Replying To jam83:  "I see the county board completely deleted the bit KW said about making recommendations in their press release of his statement this morning.
So they actually doctored his statement to take out the recommendations that made them look inept. Wtf."
If true not a bit surprised . Our county board has been shown up nationally to be completely inept already

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 977 - 03/09/2019 20:42:36    2232546

Link

Thank you Kevin, you took us out of division 2 as Champions which was not easy and won 2 Connachts, and beat Kerry in HQ for the first time in 53 years. Good man and may you enjoy a well deserved rest.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1282 - 03/09/2019 21:37:30    2232560

Link

Rochford has inside info.on Mayo lol, but yes I would give him a shot at the county team

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 962 - 03/09/2019 21:44:44    2232566

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "If true not a bit surprised . Our county board has been shown up nationally to be completely inept already"
Wouldn't be the first time. Whatever did happen to those "accounts"

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 03/09/2019 22:06:37    2232575

Link

Roachford would be a very uninspiring appointment.He was around for years.Made his name winning a club all-ireland with Corofin.He was well thought off there,but surely there is 100 coaches that could have won with them.
Never beat Galway as Mayo manager.He made a hames of an all-Ireland final.
I got the impression neither the players or the fans thought too much of him.No one put up much of a fight for him
when he was let go.
Has he really brought that much to the table with Donegal?
We would be getting more of a Peter Forde than a John O'Mahony.
There is some fine football coaches out of a job at the minute if Galway have the ambition to go out and get them.
Liam Kerins deserves a big job.
John Sugrue was excellent with Laois,maybe a bit far away.
Cian O'Neill s a young manager would could do something big.
All would be a risk and expensive,but lets not just settle for the easiest option.

Gunfighter (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 04/09/2019 03:37:58    2232614

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "If Rochford has committed to Donegal for another year would Liam Kearns be an option?

Either-way I think PJ and Divilly should be part of backroom team."
Alan Flynn has a far better record of coaching than PJ.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 04/09/2019 08:59:59    2232630

Link

Replying To Gunfighter:  "Roachford would be a very uninspiring appointment.He was around for years.Made his name winning a club all-ireland with Corofin.He was well thought off there,but surely there is 100 coaches that could have won with them.
Never beat Galway as Mayo manager.He made a hames of an all-Ireland final.
I got the impression neither the players or the fans thought too much of him.No one put up much of a fight for him
when he was let go.
Has he really brought that much to the table with Donegal?
We would be getting more of a Peter Forde than a John O'Mahony.
There is some fine football coaches out of a job at the minute if Galway have the ambition to go out and get them.
Liam Kerins deserves a big job.
John Sugrue was excellent with Laois,maybe a bit far away.
Cian O'Neill s a young manager would could do something big.
All would be a risk and expensive,but lets not just settle for the easiest option."
Sugrue, Kearns and O'Neill are decent managers, but they're worlds away from Rochford. How did he make a hames of an All Ireland?

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 169 - 04/09/2019 09:43:43    2232645

Link

I'll fully support the new manager but our county board is inept, they did alter KW statement re continued improvements as I've seen the full statement floating around online its it's very professional and in no way insulted the board.but them removing it makes them look like fools yet again. We are relying on these people to recruit 2 quality managers . I have little faith, we got kevin because he put his hand up for the job

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 977 - 04/09/2019 09:53:18    2232647

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I'll fully support the new manager but our county board is inept, they did alter KW statement re continued improvements as I've seen the full statement floating around online its it's very professional and in no way insulted the board.but them removing it makes them look like fools yet again. We are relying on these people to recruit 2 quality managers . I have little faith, we got kevin because he put his hand up for the job"
The Galway bay fm interview with Pat Kearney was cringe stuff.
Keith Finnegan licking up to him , at least Ollie Turner questioned Kearney on Kevin's statement regarding facilities, preparing teams, structures etc. Kearney brushed it off saying " we have two pitches in Loughgeorge, great facilities"
Its plainly obvious where all the issues lie in Gslway gaa and it's our county board.
No wonder we are looking for two managers and my fear is Rochford or Joyce or anyone with a brain may well stay away...

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 04/09/2019 10:35:01    2232660

Link