Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

KW grossly mistreated McHugh imo, especially when it came to championship. On his day he can kick frees from the ground from anywhere. With a different manager showing more faith he'll consistently nail frees every game.

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 01/09/2019 22:07:47    2231569

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "KW grossly mistreated McHugh imo, especially when it came to championship. On his day he can kick frees from the ground from anywhere. With a different manager showing more faith he'll consistently nail frees every game."
I think McHugh at his best is by a mile the best free taker in the county but He wasnt playing well

Not starting someone who isnt performing well where we have real competition for places is not mistreatment.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 977 - 01/09/2019 22:25:27    2231579

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "KW grossly mistreated McHugh imo, especially when it came to championship. On his day he can kick frees from the ground from anywhere. With a different manager showing more faith he'll consistently nail frees every game."
Harsh on KW
If Barry nails the frees and contributes from open play he plays
However in fairness he did not go well this year

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 193 - 01/09/2019 22:47:26    2231594

Link

Mc Hugh a good player alright, as for a new manager we will be looking for one from tomorrow on. Kevin will go this week as he knows its for the best.

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 432 - 01/09/2019 22:52:49    2231602

Link

I don't recall McHugh knocking on the door until KW came in. So how much more faith can the man show?

I guarantee you that if Walsh persisted with McHugh in poor form, you and many others would be the first to berate him for sticking with a misfiring free-taker.

HighBaIlsPlease (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 02/09/2019 08:07:18    2231680

Link

Replying To jj19:  "Mc Hugh a good player alright, as for a new manager we will be looking for one from tomorrow on. Kevin will go this week as he knows its for the best."
Is Kevin going for definitive.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 02/09/2019 08:53:11    2231698

Link

The point is you need to be nailing the frees. McHugh is the best at this in Galway.
Mike Meehan, PJ and even Finnegan nailed the pressure ones and kept us in games at times. We should have a Sean O'Shea/Rock in Galway. Cooke is a great option but seems to need to nail the first few, outside of that Leonard from Corofin, Shane Walsh is like Conroy you just cant be sure how they'll go on the day. Has anyone any other suggestions.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 02/09/2019 11:23:16    2231776

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Is Kevin going for definitive."
Yes... Double act coming in.... out of the blue but I'm happy

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 02/09/2019 13:22:33    2231869

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Yes... Double act coming in.... out of the blue but I'm happy"
Morris and Rochford?...or Brolly and Spillane??;)

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 02/09/2019 13:47:54    2231882

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "Morris and Rochford?...or Brolly and Spillane??;)"
Brolly and Morris !!!

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 02/09/2019 14:17:03    2231898

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Is Kevin going for definitive."
Yea he is going alright

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 432 - 02/09/2019 14:28:03    2231905

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Yes... Double act coming in.... out of the blue but I'm happy"
Heard he was 90% going last week but understood County Board wanted him to stay.Are you sure his replacements already lined up?

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 340 - 02/09/2019 14:37:26    2231909

Link

I don't get the argument over the frees. Shane Walsh is an intercounty free taker. Is he Dean Rock or Brian Stafford level? No but he is still high quality. Barry McHugh wasn't good enough in open play to justify being selected and Dean Rock wouldn't be on the Dublin team simply to take frees if he wasn't also a top class player generally.

We also have other options as free takers for lads who are good enough to be in the 15, like Daly and Cooke. If McHugh was as good as those two then by all means it would be great to have a top class free taker in the 15 but he isn't close.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 259 - 02/09/2019 14:47:54    2231916

Link

It has cost us in games, Walsh would be a better player off the frees.
2015 Donegal game, we are well on top and Conroy misses at a crucial stage
2017 Armstrong nailed a few long ones against Mayo which effectively won us the game.
2018 McHugh nails a few long ones in McHale park which punished Mayo, missed them against Ross.
2019 Crucial free from Shane Walsh which was practically a gimme at the stroke of half time in Limerick is missed.

An accurate free taker does more than keep the scoreboard ticking over, it frightens defenders. They will foul all day if the free taker is flakey.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 301 - 02/09/2019 15:03:42    2231925

Link

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "Heard he was 90% going last week but understood County Board wanted him to stay.Are you sure his replacements already lined up?"
You are probably right. The County board don't want the hassle of looking for 2 managers at same time. It could be a money hunt..ie knowing the County board want Kw to stay. If Kevin does step aside it's the correct option imo. Let the County board start acting like a County board and back big KW if he's serious about going. Let them then start the process of selecting top class managers and coaches. The likes of our minors deserve this.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 02/09/2019 15:06:18    2231926

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "I don't get the argument over the frees. Shane Walsh is an intercounty free taker. Is he Dean Rock or Brian Stafford level? No but he is still high quality. Barry McHugh wasn't good enough in open play to justify being selected and Dean Rock wouldn't be on the Dublin team simply to take frees if he wasn't also a top class player generally.

We also have other options as free takers for lads who are good enough to be in the 15, like Daly and Cooke. If McHugh was as good as those two then by all means it would be great to have a top class free taker in the 15 but he isn't close."
I do get it. I think it's a serious problem in that Galway team, but not one that's easily solved.

Shane Walsh might be an 'intercounty freetaker', simply because he takes frees for Galway, but his miss rate is too high. I don't think he is 'high quality' in that specific area of his game. I think Seanie O'Shea was 'high quality' yesterday, if you want a benchmark example. A bunch of long range ones, all beautifully struck, yards to spare, 100% success rate . That is 'high quality' in the freetaking game.

It's not gymnastics, where Walsh might get extra points for the aesthetics of deploying two feet. No, it's only about strike rate, and Walsh misses too many. He needs to speed up his preshot routine & reduce his miss percentage. Perhaps concentrating on one foot & style only, and improving that would be start. If he was a really adept deadball kicker, his prekick routines shouldn't need to be so 'elaborate' either.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2296 - 02/09/2019 15:14:10    2231929

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I do get it. I think it's a serious problem in that Galway team, but not one that's easily solved.

Shane Walsh might be an 'intercounty freetaker', simply because he takes frees for Galway, but his miss rate is too high. I don't think he is 'high quality' in that specific area of his game. I think Seanie O'Shea was 'high quality' yesterday, if you want a benchmark example. A bunch of long range ones, all beautifully struck, yards to spare, 100% success rate . That is 'high quality' in the freetaking game.

It's not gymnastics, where Walsh might get extra points for the aesthetics of deploying two feet. No, it's only about strike rate, and Walsh misses too many. He needs to speed up his preshot routine & reduce his miss percentage. Perhaps concentrating on one foot & style only, and improving that would be start. If he was a really adept deadball kicker, his prekick routines shouldn't need to be so 'elaborate' either."
Hes a great player and a good free taker. If the galway team got themselves into the position kerry did yesterday and we were getting the frees kerry were our conversion rate wouldn't be good enough for us to stay in the game. Fact. look at our free conversion rate

McHugh is the best free taker in the county but he had a drop in form and I dont see any one else but an in form mchugh at club or county level in galway coming anywhere near rock or o shea. They are the best and that's what we need to aim for. If we want to compete with the dubs then we need a free taker of their standards. Of course mental health is spouted about in the GAA but do that's just lip service, work on mchughs mindset. It's not lack of ability that stopped him nailing frees

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 977 - 02/09/2019 16:06:42    2231946

Link

Its being reported Kevin has resigned.

Rochford is the man IMO and plenty of players need to move on now or be moved on also.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 02/09/2019 16:16:53    2231950

Link

Who is the double act that are coming in belclare

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 02/09/2019 16:17:27    2231951

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Who is the double act that are coming in belclare"
Stephen and David

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 02/09/2019 16:23:25    2231955

Link