Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To The_DOC:  "Sorry but a lot of the injures happened outside of the county setup.

Are you suggesting that the current S&C setup in the county has players overtrained thus leaving them more prone to injury while training/playing with their club?"
The numerous injuries Galway encountered this season is indicative of a slapdash approach by the County board. S+C is a continuous and progressive process. What Galway footballers are doing is the polar opposite of that. How come Dublin for example have minlmal issues with player injury

PopeFrancis19 (Galway) - Posts: 24 - 23/08/2019 11:36:38    2228734

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "True but KW wants to walk away after a better season than this one and I would give him the final shot at it. He bet London (luckily) and Sligo, wow. MD made up his own mind and FairPlay to him. Both men deserve respect. County board are in a bit of a spot to replace MD as we may end up with a weaker manager. Who would be available if big Kev stepped down?"
OK I see ur point and in my opinion that attitude is we do with what we have. We don't deserve any better. You ask who would take over, look at all the names been put in ring since MOD stepped down. One more year and a lot of players will have lost interest not to mention supporters.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 23/08/2019 12:04:06    2228740

Link

I don't mind if KW stays on. As long as he ditches the style of football he has the team playing. Galway have always been a kick and catch team. And need to go back to this style.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1657 - 23/08/2019 12:38:43    2228749

Link

Fast forward to 2020.....Dublin will be going for 6 in a row and have 2 great players for each position....done deal.

Galway have zero cups since 2008 except for 2 Connacht Tiles under KW and a division 2 title under KW. If we get one more Connacht with him and make super 8 and survive div. 1 that is the goal for 2020, then Kev can hang up his woolly hat. This is a realistic goal and I would take it right now.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 962 - 23/08/2019 13:35:49    2228765

Link

Seeing as we're talking about 2020 and the county board is being mentioned first thing I want for the championship in 2020 is that every single member of the panel gets to travel to New York. I think it's a disgrace that they dont all go because of the cost yet we have random members of the county board over there not having paid a penny to get there. management team and players are all that need to be there. Completely unfair on the lads that arent brought.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 976 - 23/08/2019 14:06:58    2228779

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "Fast forward to 2020.....Dublin will be going for 6 in a row and have 2 great players for each position....done deal.

Galway have zero cups since 2008 except for 2 Connacht Tiles under KW and a division 2 title under KW. If we get one more Connacht with him and make super 8 and survive div. 1 that is the goal for 2020, then Kev can hang up his woolly hat. This is a realistic goal and I would take it right now."
Reverse back two years... won Connacht and got to last 4 although went down in a whimper in Pearse Stadium. This year struggled wit London bet by roscommon and bet by mayo. Your expectations for 2020 are still too high in hopefully making super 8 and Connacht.imo that won't happen under present reigns. One thing I do agree with is Dublin won't be stopped for 2 or 3 years.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 23/08/2019 14:20:08    2228783

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Seeing as we're talking about 2020 and the county board is being mentioned first thing I want for the championship in 2020 is that every single member of the panel gets to travel to New York. I think it's a disgrace that they dont all go because of the cost yet we have random members of the county board over there not having paid a penny to get there. management team and players are all that need to be there. Completely unfair on the lads that arent brought."
Shur it makes no odds who goes and doesn't go-money can be spent elsewhere imo. The championship starts after that game anyway. Waste of everyones time.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 23/08/2019 16:07:30    2228813

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Shur it makes no odds who goes and doesn't go-money can be spent elsewhere imo. The championship starts after that game anyway. Waste of everyones time."
I think the point galwayfball is trying to make is the money is been spent. Members of the panel who are injured or not on start team have to pay their own way to ie London or New York yet there are several members of country board who use it as an expenses paid holiday. This should not be allowed happen.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 24/08/2019 12:53:33    2228992

Link

Replying To Toman:  "I think the point galwayfball is trying to make is the money is been spent. Members of the panel who are injured or not on start team have to pay their own way to ie London or New York yet there are several members of country board who use it as an expenses paid holiday. This should not be allowed happen."
Thanks toman that was my point. The money is being spent but it's on lads who meet every few weeks and have chats over tea and biscuits but some lads that are out in November training in horrible conditions 4 days a week and sacrificing family time don't get to go. Not right.

These trips to America actually could be very lucrative and bring in much more money than is spent. Mayo make the most of it. Kerry actually go stateside just to get sponsorship and donations. I'd be shocked if our county board actually took proper advantage of our NY trip

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 976 - 25/08/2019 17:23:40    2229196

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Thanks toman that was my point. The money is being spent but it's on lads who meet every few weeks and have chats over tea and biscuits but some lads that are out in November training in horrible conditions 4 days a week and sacrificing family time don't get to go. Not right.

These trips to America actually could be very lucrative and bring in much more money than is spent. Mayo make the most of it. Kerry actually go stateside just to get sponsorship and donations. I'd be shocked if our county board actually took proper advantage of our NY trip"
Spot on.

Every person that gets a trip over should have a job. Players not in match day squad and country board members should all be engaged with fundraising events. There should be a committee working on this already. Should be top of Gotches priority list.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1000 - 26/08/2019 22:35:26    2229594

Link

Replying To PopeFrancis19:  "The numerous injuries Galway encountered this season is indicative of a slapdash approach by the County board. S+C is a continuous and progressive process. What Galway footballers are doing is the polar opposite of that. How come Dublin for example have minlmal issues with player injury"
Listen, I'm not saying it as one way or the other but I'm just wondering what your basing these facts off. S&C is a very technical and complex thing, which should be tailored to a specific individual.

Do you know the specific training plan of one or two players or are you basing of a collective training programme? Do you know if they are working off the 10day training block @ 3x 10day build and 1x10day recover into a larger base at start of next set of 10day block or are they working or a weekly or monthly programme?

There are so many variables here, also taking into account matches, ar players being rested are subs being given the opportunity to clock 'missed' intervals after a match?

Then individual players will respond differently to a S&C plan and only through injury wil you know their limits and tailor their recovery programme and next S&C programme based on the learning from an injury.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 27/08/2019 11:15:07    2229718

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Spot on.

Every person that gets a trip over should have a job. Players not in match day squad and country board members should all be engaged with fundraising events. There should be a committee working on this already. Should be top of Gotches priority list."
I don't disagree county board men should be left at home to bring players but end of the day bringing anyone outside the 26 and the key management is a waste of money. The game is no contest so we do not need an extended panel and any fundraising need Comer, Walsh, Conroy and possibly Ian Burke at it. Maybe a conemara representative as well o balance it up.

They're the men sponsors want to meet.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 27/08/2019 15:01:48    2229829

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Listen, I'm not saying it as one way or the other but I'm just wondering what your basing these facts off. S&C is a very technical and complex thing, which should be tailored to a specific individual.

Do you know the specific training plan of one or two players or are you basing of a collective training programme? Do you know if they are working off the 10day training block @ 3x 10day build and 1x10day recover into a larger base at start of next set of 10day block or are they working or a weekly or monthly programme?

There are so many variables here, also taking into account matches, ar players being rested are subs being given the opportunity to clock 'missed' intervals after a match?

Then individual players will respond differently to a S&C plan and only through injury wil you know their limits and tailor their recovery programme and next S&C programme based on the learning from an injury."
Well if we don't have the fitness coaching at County level to tailor the technical and complex training (as you call it) programme for each and every individual needs, it's no wonder we have injuries. Anyway if we were going well as a County ie playing football into August we might not have all those injuries. A lot of those injuries (not all) happen when our season is over and lads take up other sports . This would not be the case if we were still involved in County.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 27/08/2019 21:16:30    2229941

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Well if we don't have the fitness coaching at County level to tailor the technical and complex training (as you call it) programme for each and every individual needs, it's no wonder we have injuries. Anyway if we were going well as a County ie playing football into August we might not have all those injuries. A lot of those injuries (not all) happen when our season is over and lads take up other sports . This would not be the case if we were still involved in County."
As you seem to be so well clued in on the topic, presumably you can back your theory up with specific examples? I'll wait.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 91 - 27/08/2019 22:21:23    2229961

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Well if we don't have the fitness coaching at County level to tailor the technical and complex training (as you call it) programme for each and every individual needs, it's no wonder we have injuries. Anyway if we were going well as a County ie playing football into August we might not have all those injuries. A lot of those injuries (not all) happen when our season is over and lads take up other sports . This would not be the case if we were still involved in County."
That was my original post if you read back. I'm arguing that a lot of the injuries happened outside of county setup. Im stating in the latest post is that S&C is a complex programme and you cant make assumptions (its the S&C thats not right thats causing injuries) unless you know the full S&C programme.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 28/08/2019 08:16:34    2230004

Link

Replying To johnjoe21:  "As you seem to be so well clued in on the topic, presumably you can back your theory up with specific examples? I'll wait."
Well johnjoe21 u will be waiting a long time if ur waiting for me to put names up on forum. If ur a GAA person u should have a fair idea what I'm saying.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 28/08/2019 08:51:56    2230008

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "I don't disagree county board men should be left at home to bring players but end of the day bringing anyone outside the 26 and the key management is a waste of money. The game is no contest so we do not need an extended panel and any fundraising need Comer, Walsh, Conroy and possibly Ian Burke at it. Maybe a conemara representative as well o balance it up.

They're the men sponsors want to meet."
Theyre not looking for their names on our jerseys. The donors in the US are irish people who love the GAA and have done well for themselves. They roll out the red carpet for anyone who plays for their county (yes the Comers of the world would get extra buzz) A good club player will get flights, accommodation and a job sorted for them in a few days if they decide to play for one of the US clubs. Theres a massive opportunity to raise funds when in NY. Any passionate galwegian living in New York will be there and a some have more than a few bob to spare. Kerry go over there every so often with the sole purpose to raise funds and theres a lot more organising needed because there is no game already set up as the main event

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 976 - 28/08/2019 10:35:11    2230034

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Well johnjoe21 u will be waiting a long time if ur waiting for me to put names up on forum. If ur a GAA person u should have a fair idea what I'm saying."
I know i'll be waiting alright. I'm sick and tired of fellas posting absolute BS on here without one iota of fact to back up what they're saying. So now, some specifics please and if you can't provide any please stop posting your sensationalist nonsense here.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 91 - 28/08/2019 21:07:24    2230258

Link

Replying To johnjoe21:  "I know i'll be waiting alright. I'm sick and tired of fellas posting absolute BS on here without one iota of fact to back up what they're saying. So now, some specifics please and if you can't provide any please stop posting your sensationalist nonsense here."
Well Johnnie 21. I'm Al's fed of of fellas coming on here with no view whatsoever. Some of them just seem to want to have a word war because they are bored, and they know their identity is hidden on forum.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 28/08/2019 21:41:30    2230278

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Well Johnnie 21. I'm Al's fed of of fellas coming on here with no view whatsoever. Some of them just seem to want to have a word war because they are bored, and they know their identity is hidden on forum."
I've nothing to hide, you're the one making up stories with no actual facts to back them up. You can't seem to grasp that for some reason.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 91 - 28/08/2019 22:04:15    2230280

Link