Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "All the Corofin supporters wanted Power and look what happened, Silke had a shocker, and Farragher scoreless and taken off."
Some Corofin fans are unable to see the difference between a quality intercounty player - ian burke (bad season but what a talent) Kieran Molloy , and a good quality club player - Farragher, steede, daithi burke , leonard, power etc. Have had 2 years of them on here calling for (insert corofin player) to replace (city/west) player. KW picked 4 of them tonight and they let him down big time so wind yere necks in lads and support Maroob next year not yellow and green

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 06/07/2019 21:54:11    2206551

Link

Replying To marooney:  "Get out of here, no Galway player has put up with the undeserved abuse that Lavelle has for the last three years. Interestiing that you go out of your way to declare you don't know his jersey rival..."
I've never insulted lavelle ever. I had zero issue if he was ever selected over Power.

Lavelle was abused so Power should be too? How about don't abuse either of them.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 06/07/2019 21:55:40    2206553

Link

Replying To marooney:  "Galwayfball, kind of misread your post, sorry. Shouldn't post in haste in the vexation of defeat."
I didn't read your apology until now. We've all posted in haste after a defeat

#galway4sam2020

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 06/07/2019 22:00:41    2206560

Link

Hold ur horses here guys! Kevin setup a system over the last couple of years and it failed against, Tipp, Dublin, monaghan and twice against Roscommon... he then done what we all wanted this evening... and to be honest it all came too late, when ur coaching a team day in day out over the last few years in a blanket defence system and he decides to change that style of setup how do you expect to see a massive change in three weeks... but I saw massive potential this evening if Kevin had set out this evenings style of play last November and worked on it... it's such a petty... but that's it guys it's over & out for another year... chat to ye next January for the FBD.... enjoy the rest of summer...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 06/07/2019 22:10:40    2206569

Link

Positives tonight - John Daly, Peter Cooke and Cillian McDaid are serious players and will be a spine for galway going forward. Throw in Molloy, Flynn, Walsh, Burke, Comer - There is a core of 22-27 yr olds who are as good as anyone outside of Dublin. If we can nail the keeper and full back line issues we can come back amd quickly. 2 minor and one u20 final appearances in last 3 years and another good u20 team this year. Plenty of reason to be optimistic.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 06/07/2019 22:10:52    2206570

Link

One final point Declan Kyne really stood out tonight... but the two other fullbacks....it's curtains I'm afraid for them they are not senior county players... absolutely no discipline...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 06/07/2019 22:17:11    2206574

Link

A main takeaway from this game is that we have too many passengers on this current Galway football team. Many of the players that played in that middle third for us today simply do not cut it at intercounty level.
The manager has lost all credibility to most of the supporters as his tactics are limiting the explosiveness of our dangerous forwards like Burke and Walsh. We lack a defensive spine in which to build our team on and as a result we see these forwads isolated.
Another fact we have learned from this is that the Corofin players have been grossly overrated with the exception of Ian Burke. Walsh has been vindicated in his decision for leaving Martin Farragher off the team for the last couple of years as he showed today that he is not up to intercounty standard. Bernard Power has somehow managed to get a second chance when it was evident from 2016 and 2017 that he was not good enough. The abuse Lavelle got from Galway fans following the roscommon game was ridiculous and it managed to convince our manager to bring back a goalkeeper that ended up costing us 5 points.
A clear out is badly needed on this team and Galway football has hit a stagnant point under Kevin Walsh and like his counterpart Michael Donoghue its time to step aside

JeffreyLynskey2020 (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 06/07/2019 22:35:12    2206591

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Some Corofin fans are unable to see the difference between a quality intercounty player - ian burke (bad season but what a talent) Kieran Molloy , and a good quality club player - Farragher, steede, daithi burke , leonard, power etc. Have had 2 years of them on here calling for (insert corofin player) to replace (city/west) player. KW picked 4 of them tonight and they let him down big time so wind yere necks in lads and support Maroob next year not yellow and green"
Totally agree. I have been making this point for a few years now. The only thing is there are very few top quality county players in any Galway club at present. Look at Shane Walsh today, very poor. As Father Ted said about the Chinese, "a great bunch of lads," but just not good enough at the highest level. And we were beaten by a fairly ordinary Mayo team with Mayo Joe McQuillan doing all he could for them. I dont like to mention referees as its a tough job but Joe was very poor this evening.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 06/07/2019 22:45:11    2206601

Link

The audacity of these corofin lads to think they have a god given right to waltz into a county starting 15 is incredible. Kevin Walsh is the man who has taken galway football from the doldrums to two connacht titles and an all ireland semi-final in such a relatively quick time. He did all of this without the help of the much vaunted corofin starlets bar one. For armchair critics to come on here and claim they know better than Walsh is foolish at best and downright vicious in some cases. He is the man who has restored galway to its rightful place in football standings and to throw him under the bus after one poor season would be a travesty. His previous team selections have been vindicated today as once he finally threw the corofin lads in, they utterly disappointed. Burke's red card, Power's meltdown, Silke missed the crucial penalty, Farragher was anonymous and Molloy jogged around for ten minutes after grabbing his point. The aristocrats of southern galway football won't be half as quick clamouring for change next year i imagine.

CyrilDonnellan8 (Galway) - Posts: 18 - 06/07/2019 22:52:46    2206610

Link

Couldn't be too hard on the Corofin players at all. They were coming from a totally different approach to the game. Corofin are a joy to watch and I'd love to see O'Brien getting a shot at it now. No guarantees of course but why not. God bless KW but enjoy retirement.

marooney (Galway) - Posts: 87 - 06/07/2019 22:56:53    2206612

Link

Replying To JeffreyLynskey2020:  "A main takeaway from this game is that we have too many passengers on this current Galway football team. Many of the players that played in that middle third for us today simply do not cut it at intercounty level.
The manager has lost all credibility to most of the supporters as his tactics are limiting the explosiveness of our dangerous forwards like Burke and Walsh. We lack a defensive spine in which to build our team on and as a result we see these forwads isolated.
Another fact we have learned from this is that the Corofin players have been grossly overrated with the exception of Ian Burke. Walsh has been vindicated in his decision for leaving Martin Farragher off the team for the last couple of years as he showed today that he is not up to intercounty standard. Bernard Power has somehow managed to get a second chance when it was evident from 2016 and 2017 that he was not good enough. The abuse Lavelle got from Galway fans following the roscommon game was ridiculous and it managed to convince our manager to bring back a goalkeeper that ended up costing us 5 points.
A clear out is badly needed on this team and Galway football has hit a stagnant point under Kevin Walsh and like his counterpart Michael Donoghue its time to step aside"
Only point I'll agree with on, is Galway are gone very stagnant...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 06/07/2019 23:01:00    2206618

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Totally agree. I have been making this point for a few years now. The only thing is there are very few top quality county players in any Galway club at present. Look at Shane Walsh today, very poor. As Father Ted said about the Chinese, "a great bunch of lads," but just not good enough at the highest level. And we were beaten by a fairly ordinary Mayo team with Mayo Joe McQuillan doing all he could for them. I dont like to mention referees as its a tough job but Joe was very poor this evening."
Ref was Cat bad...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 06/07/2019 23:02:16    2206623

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Only point I'll agree with on, is Galway are gone very stagnant..."
When a certain southern galway contingent are doing their level best to disparage and undermine Kevin Walsh and his management team, it is difficult to keep any good momentum going.

CyrilDonnellan8 (Galway) - Posts: 18 - 06/07/2019 23:11:45    2206634

Link

Replying To CyrilDonnellan8:  "The audacity of these corofin lads to think they have a god given right to waltz into a county starting 15 is incredible. Kevin Walsh is the man who has taken galway football from the doldrums to two connacht titles and an all ireland semi-final in such a relatively quick time. He did all of this without the help of the much vaunted corofin starlets bar one. For armchair critics to come on here and claim they know better than Walsh is foolish at best and downright vicious in some cases. He is the man who has restored galway to its rightful place in football standings and to throw him under the bus after one poor season would be a travesty. His previous team selections have been vindicated today as once he finally threw the corofin lads in, they utterly disappointed. Burke's red card, Power's meltdown, Silke missed the crucial penalty, Farragher was anonymous and Molloy jogged around for ten minutes after grabbing his point. The aristocrats of southern galway football won't be half as quick clamouring for change next year i imagine."
Not a Corofin man, but that has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on here. Today's failure all down to the Corofin players. What next? Never pick anyone from Corofin ever again? Jesus wept....

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 774 - 06/07/2019 23:23:57    2206644

Link

I think seeing Farragher agrue with KW after he was taken off tells you how highly the corofin guys rate themselves. Pity power didnt have a wedding again

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 06/07/2019 23:24:06    2206645

Link

Replying To CyrilDonnellan8:  "The audacity of these corofin lads to think they have a god given right to waltz into a county starting 15 is incredible. Kevin Walsh is the man who has taken galway football from the doldrums to two connacht titles and an all ireland semi-final in such a relatively quick time. He did all of this without the help of the much vaunted corofin starlets bar one. For armchair critics to come on here and claim they know better than Walsh is foolish at best and downright vicious in some cases. He is the man who has restored galway to its rightful place in football standings and to throw him under the bus after one poor season would be a travesty. His previous team selections have been vindicated today as once he finally threw the corofin lads in, they utterly disappointed. Burke's red card, Power's meltdown, Silke missed the crucial penalty, Farragher was anonymous and Molloy jogged around for ten minutes after grabbing his point. The aristocrats of southern galway football won't be half as quick clamouring for change next year i imagine."
I agree with the fact they dont have a right to waltz onto the team but it was some supporters who thought this and not the actual players. or at least I hope this is the case.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 06/07/2019 23:35:57    2206653

Link

Kevin has been great and I agree has brought us to a level where of course we now expect more, getting that more is an an all Ireland final spot. I think that's what all supporters seem to expect after division 1 health... am I right?
Well forget it because if Jim Gavin took over in the morning And every player we we have was available we won't get there. This is because there is a fundamental thing missing and that is footballing ability. We can't kick the ball over the bar. We talk about Shane Walsh, Ian Burke, comer,Michael Daly but where is their 3 to 4 points from play? Today we were pretty direct at times and the final product was not there.
I'm an avid fan, at as many games as this can be over the last 25 years so I deem my self qualified to distinguish a contender from an an also ran and I can tell you this team is certainly the latter regardless of who manages them. Not their fault but the ability to get scores is not there. We are 32 years away again.. poor mayo team but their experience saw them through against our naivety. Forget the Connaught wins against mayo this was the one that counted and as I expected we failed..and I say that with a heavy heart.. well done peter cooke, Mcdaid and declan Kyne.. finally why was our cornerback taking a penalty? Because there was no balls in the forwards?

Mickhiggins (Galway) - Posts: 52 - 06/07/2019 23:40:11    2206659

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "I think seeing Farragher agrue with KW after he was taken off tells you how highly the corofin guys rate themselves. Pity power didnt have a wedding again"
I only saw this when I got home. It was awful behaviour. He was playing poorly and had no right to argue. If our best player in the maroon jersey Comer who has repeatedly shown what a talent he is can be taken off in an all ireland quarter final when hes having a quiet day and not only accept it with zero issues but can jump up and down like a crazed fan when hes replacement gets a goal, then farragher a man who has done nothing of note in the maroon jersey can have no complaints. I wouldn't want him in any galway team whatever manager we have unless this is the last of this behaviour we ever see.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 06/07/2019 23:43:47    2206663

Link

Replying To Ailteoir:  "Not a Corofin man, but that has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on here. Today's failure all down to the Corofin players. What next? Never pick anyone from Corofin ever again? Jesus wept...."
Agreed. All players busted themselves tonight. They were just generally poor. This east west pro anti Corofin rubbish is doing my head in.

Power was poor but he hardly meant to drop the ball. He should be criticised for the lack in concentration that caused it not criticised because of where he's from. Making a cock up does not show arrogance or that he thought he should walk into the team. It shows technical weakness he needs ro work on. And yes we should be very critical of that!

When they wear maroon they are Galway players to me. Clubs are irrelevant.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 06/07/2019 23:50:07    2206673

Link

Hard luck lads..think ye will do better with a new manager. Despite noise about the ref I don't think anyone can argue Mayo were the better team.

Don't think there is an all Ireland in us sadly but glad to be in the super 8s anyways

See ye next year.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10172 - 06/07/2019 23:51:11    2206676

Link