Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FallenStar:  "G'way ya cute hoor with your misinformation!"
Never mind Charlie, he is only stirring. He is getting excited now that if Kevin loses he will be gone & Charlies buddies might get the job.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1002 - 03/07/2019 12:47:14    2204872

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Burke struggled badly the last day in the conditions. He's a small player who not unlike myself probably has small enough hands and he struggled to get any smacht on the ball at all when it came in to him. That was one game. He is a class act and if its a dry night on saturday i'd expect him to roast whoever they put on him.

The problem with naming our hypothetical 15s is none of us outside the camp know who is carrying a knock, who has the flu this week, who has been sat down over a discipline issue (if anyone) etc so we can all pick teams on paper which might be far away from what we see on the day and for good reason.

All being equal and for what its worth, this would be my 15 baring in mind i thought the last day we were too lightweight in the forwards during the 2nd half and not dynamic enough especially from wing back.

Power

Silke SAOC Kerin

McDaid J Daly Molloy

Conroy Flynn

Walsh Cooke Heaney

Burke Farragher O'Laoi

Would plan on bringing the following off the bench for the last 15-20 minutes if fit enough to do so.

Comer, Cummins, Branigan/Kelly, M Daly , - Reason being most if not all of Mayo's backs are well into their 30s and so swapping in fresh forwards to run at them in the last 20 on a big pitch should give them all sorts of problems. Meant to be a warm day in Limerick on saturday too."
Good team but would you not include GOD or Bradshaw? Even in Subs??

shemozzle (Galway) - Posts: 12 - 03/07/2019 14:30:22    2204933

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Daithi Burke togging. I'd imagine he will start given our injury issues."
KW togging as well! ;)

baire (Galway) - Posts: 820 - 03/07/2019 14:57:05    2204948

Link

Replying To shemozzle:  "Good team but would you not include GOD or Bradshaw? Even in Subs??"
I'd certainly have them on the bench to cover injuries but neither, particularly GOD are what id call "impact" players coming off the bench. Maybe if we had a lead late they could come on a steady things down with experience, here is hoping.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 03/07/2019 15:08:35    2204957

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "I'd certainly have them on the bench to cover injuries but neither, particularly GOD are what id call "impact" players coming off the bench. Maybe if we had a lead late they could come on a steady things down with experience, here is hoping."
True!
Here is hoping is right!

shemozzle (Galway) - Posts: 12 - 03/07/2019 15:49:37    2204978

Link

I heard from a good source that Comer suffered a setback at training last night. Won't play any part in Saturday's game. The Burke and Sice stories are no more than that. Neither are currently training with the team. Power to start.

Connemaraman (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 03/07/2019 22:50:53    2205213

Link

Replying To Connemaraman:  "I heard from a good source that Comer suffered a setback at training last night. Won't play any part in Saturday's game. The Burke and Sice stories are no more than that. Neither are currently training with the team. Power to start."
Sounds about right..Comer should take the season off he doesnt want to end up like Meehan

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 03/07/2019 23:38:34    2205239

Link

Power, Molloy and farragher have to start on Saturday. KW needs to give these lads a chance now. Power's kickouts are top drawer and he is the best goalkeeper we have. There is no dispute about that now. Molloy deserves his chance. He's a brilliant footballer and will drive forward at every opportunity. He doesn't do the lateral stuff that drives the supporters daft with frustration. Farragher has to start at 14. He's playing well and is a top notch footballer who will score. He's a natural finisher.

I think it's crazy that we are debating whether these guys should start or not. Heaney is not a half forward and the only position that suits him is at 7. He's been anonymous for 3 games now on the 40 and this is too much of a chance to take for me with so much at stake. So if he starts it should be at 7 or nowhere. Mcdaid if fit has to start in his place on the 40. He's strong, has a big engine and can score.

For me it's do or die for this management and a number of the players who are not doing the business. I hope we play with a bit of ambition and pride. I don't think anyone would complain too much if we lost playing attacking football but to lose playing the defensive stuff would be very disappointing.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 04/07/2019 01:18:16    2205259

Link

Galway have beaten London and Sligo, we need to actually go out and attack, we have the players, Gaillimh Abu

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1349 - 04/07/2019 08:29:49    2205282

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Power, Molloy and farragher have to start on Saturday. KW needs to give these lads a chance now. Power's kickouts are top drawer and he is the best goalkeeper we have. There is no dispute about that now. Molloy deserves his chance. He's a brilliant footballer and will drive forward at every opportunity. He doesn't do the lateral stuff that drives the supporters daft with frustration. Farragher has to start at 14. He's playing well and is a top notch footballer who will score. He's a natural finisher.

I think it's crazy that we are debating whether these guys should start or not. Heaney is not a half forward and the only position that suits him is at 7. He's been anonymous for 3 games now on the 40 and this is too much of a chance to take for me with so much at stake. So if he starts it should be at 7 or nowhere. Mcdaid if fit has to start in his place on the 40. He's strong, has a big engine and can score.

For me it's do or die for this management and a number of the players who are not doing the business. I hope we play with a bit of ambition and pride. I don't think anyone would complain too much if we lost playing attacking football but to lose playing the defensive stuff would be very disappointing."
pretty fair and logical assessment. we need real pace and directness in hb line and molloy and heaney give u that. mcdaid is a real line breaker and farragher gives us a focal point/different option at 14 which should create space elsewhere

re keeper, as i said in previous posts both have similarly accurate kick outs but power disguises his better and seems to be able to change his target during his run up.

how is the midfield area shaping up? flynn was carrying a knock the last day, fiontain went off injured and duggan wasn't listed because he was injured. If we have flynn and 1 other at full throttle in this area we can clean up on Saturday. Mayo are very depleted in what is traditionally a strong area for them. but if we are struggling for bodies there too it really makes the game a toss of a coin.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 04/07/2019 08:46:46    2205290

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "pretty fair and logical assessment. we need real pace and directness in hb line and molloy and heaney give u that. mcdaid is a real line breaker and farragher gives us a focal point/different option at 14 which should create space elsewhere

re keeper, as i said in previous posts both have similarly accurate kick outs but power disguises his better and seems to be able to change his target during his run up.

how is the midfield area shaping up? flynn was carrying a knock the last day, fiontain went off injured and duggan wasn't listed because he was injured. If we have flynn and 1 other at full throttle in this area we can clean up on Saturday. Mayo are very depleted in what is traditionally a strong area for them. but if we are struggling for bodies there too it really makes the game a toss of a coin."
Agreed. Power disguises his kickouts better which makes the difference. If Heaney starts then it can only be at 7. That's where he can make a difference. Let mcdaid do the business on the 40. He's a far better option than the likes of brannigan and cooke who won't drive forward. Brannigan drifts out of games. He won't win the dirty ball. Mayo will bring huge intensity to the game. We have to try a match them in that department.

Mayo lack pace at the back and if we go direct, we can win. Midfield is now a problem area with all the injuries. I'd go with Conroy and Daly. Power should be able to supply enough ball to them from kickouts if they start in the middle and that should give us a foundation to drive forward at pace. Farragher as you say will provide a focal point at 14. He's strong and has a good football brain. He'll hold the ball up and feed o laoi and Burke.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 04/07/2019 09:55:41    2205319

Link

This is the last throw of the dice for KW and at least some of the players like GOD and Bradshaw. If they lose, I think they are gone so this is the most important games of their respective management / playing careers. We know that they are capable of playing decent (if not top drawer) football and we know they are also capable of being atrocious as in the second half of the Connacht Final this year, the second halves of the Dublin and Tyrone league games this year and the second halves of the Monaghan / Dublin championship games last year. They have to play for the full 70+ minutes this time (no more second half no-shows / fadeouts) and if they do that, they have a chance. I'm not happy with the fullback line and midfield diamond areas but we are where we are and I hope KW and the management (even at this 11th hour) can let the players play positively and express themselves. Let them go down playing decent football if they are to be beaten at least.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 04/07/2019 11:51:55    2205378

Link

As in Athletics parlance, Galway need to position themselves on Mayo's shoulder coming down the "back straight" (last 20 mins.).

At this stage, I would look for the introduction of McDaid, Brannigan and Danny to scorch the Mayo defence.

I'm a fan of McDaid, but given he hasn't the required game time under his belt, I feel the last 20 mins. would suit him best.

I also feel this game needs to be well managed. I am confident we are a much better team, and so, am hoping that we can save some energies for our Kerry friends next Sun. week...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 370 - 04/07/2019 13:37:50    2205434

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "pretty fair and logical assessment. we need real pace and directness in hb line and molloy and heaney give u that. mcdaid is a real line breaker and farragher gives us a focal point/different option at 14 which should create space elsewhere

how is the midfield area shaping up? flynn was carrying a knock the last day, fiontain went off injured and duggan wasn't listed because he was injured. If we have flynn and 1 other at full throttle in this area we can clean up on Saturday. Mayo are very depleted in what is traditionally a strong area for them. but if we are struggling for bodies there too it really makes the game a toss of a coin."
would have to agrree fully with this excellent post

the focal point of farragher is key and burke playing alongside his club mate could re ignite his season but if they click then they could do untold...

so hard to guess any other positions with injuries but certainly the midfield sector for both teams will be key

to me its power all the way....lavelle as well as bving easy to read tends to look down at the ground when retrieving the ball to avoid having to go short- we need this option esp with midfield struggling for clean possession

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 04/07/2019 15:05:47    2205481

Link

Replying To shemozzle:  "Good team but would you not include GOD or Bradshaw? Even in Subs??"
I like your team although Sean Kelly must start. Id swap him with Molloy. I wouldnt start Bradshaw or Gary O'D either.

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 04/07/2019 16:47:23    2205524

Link

Sean Kelly full back for Sean Andy

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 04/07/2019 17:10:39    2205536

Link

sean kelly full back??? has he ever played there....sean andy is struggling but is he in that much trouble?!
johnny duane surely before sk there

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 04/07/2019 19:29:57    2205587

Link

Woukd be a suprise if Ian Burke start very poor v London , Sligo and Ross if they picking on present form he should not personally I would start Danny played very well v mayo in League and always does well against them hard 2 pick team with lads supposed inj
Power
Kerrin
Sean Andy
Molloy
Daly
Kelly
Flynn
Cooke
Brannigan
Daly
Heaney
Danny
Farragher
Walsh
Silke other corner back

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 407 - 04/07/2019 19:32:09    2205589

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Sean Kelly full back for Sean Andy"
Saw that posted elsewhere on this forum. Seems bananas. Has he played there at all for Moycullen.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1688 - 04/07/2019 20:00:57    2205597

Link

Have Galway a third keeper on the panel?

ref (Galway) - Posts: 204 - 04/07/2019 20:23:30    2205602

Link