Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To squares_edge:  "Kevin plays with two inside forwards....burke and o laoi the last day....burke was the target for 6/7 good passes in the first half and 5 of them bounced off him. they were passes he should have taken in. Its an off day for him but i also feel he plays better with a big man alongside him... o laoi kicked two points and was bright enough
no player should be immune to the curly finger and if they are then the management have lost it
re watch the game"
I was behind the goal the last day for the Roscommon game where Galway were attacking. I am not so sure all of those passes were of great quality, though he should have done better on a number of them. He was tightly marked when the balls came in, that mixed with the wet conditions give some latitude for understanding. Though I think you are right, he should have be subbed earlier.

I though the Galway forwards were very very static, runs were made late and usually short darts in the 'scoring' zone. It is hard to hit a man with a kick pass in that instance as you will always have a congested area and your marker tight. Our inside forwards rarely make runs out to the wings, though there might be less chance of scoring when you get the ball, it can create space for others to run into and stretch the defence. Sometimes I think lads are looking for the handy pop pass to get an easy score as opposed to making these runs which create space for others to run into. It clogs the entire inside area and then you look out of ideas passing over and back

TwoYellowCards (Galway) - Posts: 2 - 02/07/2019 17:53:02    2204439

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Leitir Móir goalkeeper."
Not at all good after watching him vs James's in first round.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 689 - 02/07/2019 18:17:11    2204452

Link

It'll be Power or Lavelle. KW surely isnt naive enough to throw in a keeper that has no prior senior experience for a game of this magnitude

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 02/07/2019 19:36:10    2204497

Link

Replying To TwoYellowCards:  "I was behind the goal the last day for the Roscommon game where Galway were attacking. I am not so sure all of those passes were of great quality, though he should have done better on a number of them. He was tightly marked when the balls came in, that mixed with the wet conditions give some latitude for understanding. Though I think you are right, he should have be subbed earlier.

I though the Galway forwards were very very static, runs were made late and usually short darts in the 'scoring' zone. It is hard to hit a man with a kick pass in that instance as you will always have a congested area and your marker tight. Our inside forwards rarely make runs out to the wings, though there might be less chance of scoring when you get the ball, it can create space for others to run into and stretch the defence. Sometimes I think lads are looking for the handy pop pass to get an easy score as opposed to making these runs which create space for others to run into. It clogs the entire inside area and then you look out of ideas passing over and back"
Movement is the key here
and its a major part of dublins sucess
movement for the keepers kickout
movement when youre team is attacking
giving youre team options where to kick the ball
and it doesnt stop when the ball is down the other side either

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1144 - 02/07/2019 19:40:02    2204498

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "whats the story with injuries?

has Comer come through his few minutes for Annadown ok? I know he was rusty but the injury holding up was the main thing. The couple of weeks since could make a big difference.

Is Molloy ok?

Duggan?

Conroy?

Fiontain?

Flynn?

Am i missing anyone?"
Dont think you will be seeing Bradshaw either.!

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 162 - 02/07/2019 20:26:03    2204520

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "It'll be Power or Lavelle. KW surely isnt naive enough to throw in a keeper that has no prior senior experience for a game of this magnitude"
He threw David Walsh onto kieran Donaghy a few years back, backfired. Management are desperate so bunker mentality set in so anything possible. Hope it's Power. Kevin knows only an all ireland will save his job. He should just let the lads off the lease and play a bit, if we loose we loose.

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 442 - 02/07/2019 21:10:06    2204562

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Dont think you will be seeing Bradshaw either.!"
The worrying thing here Cornetto is if Molloy and Bradshaw are out, we are looking at Gary starting and he was very poor v Roscommon

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 02/07/2019 21:16:28    2204572

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Movement is the key here
and its a major part of dublins sucess
movement for the keepers kickout
movement when youre team is attacking
giving youre team options where to kick the ball
and it doesnt stop when the ball is down the other side either"
Good point here. i remember the galway backs would be free for a short kick out on many occasions against roscommon but instead of giving the goalie a option they ran over to mark their man.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 02/07/2019 22:20:42    2204642

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "The worrying thing here Cornetto is if Molloy and Bradshaw are out, we are looking at Gary starting and he was very poor v Roscommon"
Very true,but dont be surprised to see another Kevin Walsh favourite Johnny heaney drop back to the half back line and cillian mcdaid to the half forward line.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 162 - 02/07/2019 23:11:50    2204675

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "I clearly stated i would have K McDaid/E Brannigan in the forwards instead of burke. Why are you asking if i would drop burke? What part did you not understand?"
Who is K McDaid?
Seen as I.Burke is one of the best corner forwards in the game it is pretty hard to understand.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 173 - 03/07/2019 08:23:39    2204733

Link

Burke was poor in the last 2 games but he is a top quality operator and should be persisted with.

Re goalkeeper, not a whole lot between them although i think Power disguises his kicks much better. Lavelle lines up in the direction he is kicking in a very obvious way every time.

SA has been poor this season but is our best option at moment as FB. We need Molloy & McDaid starting. Only question is will he release Silke to HB line bringing in Kyne or keep FB line the way it is.

I'd like Mcdaid in HB line but i think KW will play him HF. Hard to know after that because i have no clue how close our injured players are to a return. But we need a focal point at 14. Martin Farragher/Comer/Conroy. It gives us another option and keeps defenses guessing even if we only use the long ball sparingly.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 03/07/2019 08:37:42    2204741

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Dont think you will be seeing Bradshaw either.!"
What about the 5 named, Molloy, Fintion, Flynn etc? What shape are they in?

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 109 - 03/07/2019 08:58:23    2204747

Link

Replying To TwoYellowCards:  "I was behind the goal the last day for the Roscommon game where Galway were attacking. I am not so sure all of those passes were of great quality, though he should have done better on a number of them. He was tightly marked when the balls came in, that mixed with the wet conditions give some latitude for understanding. Though I think you are right, he should have be subbed earlier.

I though the Galway forwards were very very static, runs were made late and usually short darts in the 'scoring' zone. It is hard to hit a man with a kick pass in that instance as you will always have a congested area and your marker tight. Our inside forwards rarely make runs out to the wings, though there might be less chance of scoring when you get the ball, it can create space for others to run into and stretch the defence. Sometimes I think lads are looking for the handy pop pass to get an easy score as opposed to making these runs which create space for others to run into. It clogs the entire inside area and then you look out of ideas passing over and back"
Movement for kickouts has been poor. You look at Dublin and Cluxton even when a team pushes up will 9/10 have an option to hit a wing forward like Kilkenny on the run because Kilkenny has sprinted 60 yards back into near his own 45 for the ball. We don't do any of that, the goalie basically has a choice of hitting an open man in his own corner if the kickout is conceded or else we drive it out on top of Tom Flynn which is incredibly predictable and the opposition can get 4 or 5 lads around it for the break. Both Lavelle and Power can drive a good kickout at a runners chest, ive seen it plenty of times from both. We are making them look bad by not giving them options.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 03/07/2019 09:30:49    2204754

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Movement for kickouts has been poor. You look at Dublin and Cluxton even when a team pushes up will 9/10 have an option to hit a wing forward like Kilkenny on the run because Kilkenny has sprinted 60 yards back into near his own 45 for the ball. We don't do any of that, the goalie basically has a choice of hitting an open man in his own corner if the kickout is conceded or else we drive it out on top of Tom Flynn which is incredibly predictable and the opposition can get 4 or 5 lads around it for the break. Both Lavelle and Power can drive a good kickout at a runners chest, ive seen it plenty of times from both. We are making them look bad by not giving them options."
Both have good kicks but i think Power disguises his better and can change direction late in his run up. Lavelle seems to run up in the direction his is kicking which gives him less options to change mid run. Power approaches the ball more directly behind giving him options and making him harder to read.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 03/07/2019 10:05:29    2204772

Link

1. Lavelle (Also been told Power has walked)

2. Silke
3. Coen (Think SOC will be better suited to marking him)
4. Kerin

5. Molloy
6. Bradhsaw (Press up on AOS)
7. Daly

8. Heaney (Flynn is Injured)
9. Daly (Worrying midfield but if B Shaw pushes up on O'Shea Mayo haven't much else there)

10. Kelly
11. Walsh
12. McDaid

13. Burke
14. Farragher
15. O'Laoi

Bring in Comer & Conroy

Would like to see Jason Leonard getting a chance

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 123 - 03/07/2019 10:10:41    2204775

Link

Daithi Burke togging. I'd imagine he will start given our injury issues.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 472 - 03/07/2019 10:52:46    2204792

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Daithi Burke togging. I'd imagine he will start given our injury issues."
I'll be shocked if Daithi Burke starts. AOS will clean up if this is the case

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 84 - 03/07/2019 11:05:46    2204798

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Daithi Burke togging. I'd imagine he will start given our injury issues."
??

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 03/07/2019 11:08:12    2204800

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Movement for kickouts has been poor. You look at Dublin and Cluxton even when a team pushes up will 9/10 have an option to hit a wing forward like Kilkenny on the run because Kilkenny has sprinted 60 yards back into near his own 45 for the ball. We don't do any of that, the goalie basically has a choice of hitting an open man in his own corner if the kickout is conceded or else we drive it out on top of Tom Flynn which is incredibly predictable and the opposition can get 4 or 5 lads around it for the break. Both Lavelle and Power can drive a good kickout at a runners chest, ive seen it plenty of times from both. We are making them look bad by not giving them options."
Fully agree, its really perplexing our kickouts have not really evolved over the last 4 years. Where there is no short one on, we seem to bunch Flynn and other midfielders on one side, bomb it down on them and hope for a catch or a break. Its as if we have no faith in ourselves and even if we lose it from the kickout on the wing it is far enough away to get a structure back in time. When you look at other teams who seem to bunch in the middle and then have planned runs and diversions which create space for lads to run into and make it more of a 70/30 ball.

TwoYellowCards (Galway) - Posts: 2 - 03/07/2019 11:27:00    2204810

Link

G'way ya cute hoor with your misinformation!

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 03/07/2019 12:28:26    2204852

Link