Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

how is this thread still going
move on and start a new one galway v mayo top of the feed still!!!!!!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 25/07/2019 14:34:48    2216308

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "how is this thread still going
move on and start a new one galway v mayo top of the feed still!!!!!!"
Your keeping it going by posting though?

Catch 22!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 624 - 25/07/2019 14:52:28    2216322

Link

Belclare if you have a gripe with Tommy K don't try to bring me into it. I agreed with the post I replied to so don't get paranoid I'm not Tommy k

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 25/07/2019 15:13:28    2216338

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Your keeping it going by posting though?

Catch 22!"
that is correct unfortunately !!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 25/07/2019 15:21:50    2216349

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Belclare if you have a gripe with Tommy K don't try to bring me into it. I agreed with the post I replied to so don't get paranoid I'm not Tommy k"
Its obvious you are tommy k its the first thing i thought when i seen you posting lmao

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 25/07/2019 17:31:31    2216434

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Heaney has been poor this season but has been s strong performer under Walsh tenure.
Your basing Farragher on club form.. a massive difference..
You wouldn't know!.."
I think yourself and brisbane are being very harsh on farragher. He's a class footballer. He hasn't been given a run of games like others. He didn't even travel to London, got a few minutes against Sligo and Roscommon and was then parachuted in to start against mayo. That was a very big ask.

That was his first real opportunity. If he was good enough to start against mayo in that type of pressure game then it begs the question why he wasn't given a few starts against the likes of London, Sligo or indeed Roscommon. That's what alot of supporters were calling for all year as it would have given him a chance of playing with the first 15. He never got that chance and wasn't introduced in the earlier games or given enough game time.

I think thats what Tommy K is saying and its a very valid point. The vast majority of Galway supporters would like to see him get a few games. We can decide then if he's good enough or not.

Let's be fair to farragher. It was a baptism of fire in limerick where he was expected to produce the goods against 3 hardened All Star defenders. He didn't score but he didn't do too badly either for a man introduced for the first start in county football. Anyone who writes the man off after one chance in that type of game is being very unfair. There's no harm giving the guy a few chances. We can judge him then.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 26/07/2019 00:39:31    2216599

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I think yourself and brisbane are being very harsh on farragher. He's a class footballer. He hasn't been given a run of games like others. He didn't even travel to London, got a few minutes against Sligo and Roscommon and was then parachuted in to start against mayo. That was a very big ask.

That was his first real opportunity. If he was good enough to start against mayo in that type of pressure game then it begs the question why he wasn't given a few starts against the likes of London, Sligo or indeed Roscommon. That's what alot of supporters were calling for all year as it would have given him a chance of playing with the first 15. He never got that chance and wasn't introduced in the earlier games or given enough game time.

I think thats what Tommy K is saying and its a very valid point. The vast majority of Galway supporters would like to see him get a few games. We can decide then if he's good enough or not.

Let's be fair to farragher. It was a baptism of fire in limerick where he was expected to produce the goods against 3 hardened All Star defenders. He didn't score but he didn't do too badly either for a man introduced for the first start in county football. Anyone who writes the man off after one chance in that type of game is being very unfair. There's no harm giving the guy a few chances. We can judge him then."
Ó Laoi didn't need a load of chances...you have to take your opportunities at this level.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 624 - 26/07/2019 09:26:24    2216642

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Ó Laoi didn't need a load of chances...you have to take your opportunities at this level."
O laoi was given a number of starts in the league and by the end it he had played himself into the first 15. Farragher was not given that chance mainly due to his club commitments.

There's a big difference getting a start against Cavan and roscommon in the league and gradually taking your opportunity as was the case for O Loai. Whereas farragher was thrown in for his first start against a mayo full back line consisting of 3 All Star defenders in a do or die championship encounter. There's no comparison.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 26/07/2019 18:31:25    2216877

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "O laoi was given a number of starts in the league and by the end it he had played himself into the first 15. Farragher was not given that chance mainly due to his club commitments.

There's a big difference getting a start against Cavan and roscommon in the league and gradually taking your opportunity as was the case for O Loai. Whereas farragher was thrown in for his first start against a mayo full back line consisting of 3 All Star defenders in a do or die championship encounter. There's no comparison."
All im hearing is excuses for a man who was playing terrible and then decided to have a argument with KW when he was taken off,

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 27/07/2019 11:49:32    2217043

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I think yourself and brisbane are being very harsh on farragher. He's a class footballer. He hasn't been given a run of games like others. He didn't even travel to London, got a few minutes against Sligo and Roscommon and was then parachuted in to start against mayo. That was a very big ask.

Let's be fair to farragher. It was a baptism of fire in limerick where he was expected to produce the goods against 3 hardened All Star defenders. He didn't score but he didn't do too badly either for a man introduced for the first start in county football. Anyone who writes the man off after one chance in that type of game is being very unfair. There's no harm giving the guy a few chances. We can judge him then."
Absolutely Reversepass1 but the likes of Belclare and Brisbane obviously think that one game in a negative system that KW has used is fine to write someone off as "not good enough" but other "county standard" players completely off form and yet still being picked continuously e.g. Heaney is "good enough". We all saw the results of what being "good enough" has brought this year which is the team going backwards at a rate of knots and currently outside the top 10 according to Belclare himself - go figure that one out!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 27/07/2019 15:10:43    2217107

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Absolutely Reversepass1 but the likes of Belclare and Brisbane obviously think that one game in a negative system that KW has used is fine to write someone off as "not good enough" but other "county standard" players completely off form and yet still being picked continuously e.g. Heaney is "good enough". We all saw the results of what being "good enough" has brought this year which is the team going backwards at a rate of knots and currently outside the top 10 according to Belclare himself - go figure that one out!"
Any word from Toman?? he hasnt posted in a while?

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 27/07/2019 20:32:05    2217228

Link

By chance does anyone have a link to the Galway Mayo match in full
I would like to look back over it please

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 04/08/2019 08:12:38    2220411

Link

The lack of game time didn't seem to bother Ian Burke when he got his chance in 2017.

One excuse for Farragher, a different one for everyone else?

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 04/08/2019 14:55:02    2220617

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Any word from Toman?? he hasnt posted in a while?"
Any word from Belclare?? He hasn't posted in a while!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 05/08/2019 14:04:48    2221122

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "The lack of game time didn't seem to bother Ian Burke when he got his chance in 2017.

One excuse for Farragher, a different one for everyone else?"
I think it is unfair and stupid to judge Farragher on the volume of gametime he has had for Galway so far. If Farragher had as many outings as Johnny Heaney has had for Galway in the past few seasons, we'd be in a much better position to evaluate what he can do at that level. We Just haven't seen enough of him for Galway to date. Midfield was a struggle for Galway v Mayo and Roscommon this season, and the games didn't present ideal conditions for new forwards to impress or impact at all.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2350 - 05/08/2019 14:27:43    2221135

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Any word from Belclare?? He hasn't posted in a while!"
People may have lives to live outside of a forum.

We can't all be like the fella running the Homepage

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 05/08/2019 15:32:52    2221176

Link

Sands of time wait for no man
Mayo have been in 8 of the last 9 semi's
Common players in the match day 26 between last night and the first of those semi's in 2011 are:
Hennelly
Higgins
Vaughan
Aidan o Shea
Seamus O Shea
Mc Loughlin
Moran
Cillian o Connor
Barrett (sub)
Keegan (sub)
Doherty (sub)
11 players that have come through 8 semi's in nine years (two of them replays) and 4 AI Finals (1 replay)
Mighty men one and all

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 11/08/2019 09:11:44    2223811

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Sands of time wait for no man
Mayo have been in 8 of the last 9 semi's
Common players in the match day 26 between last night and the first of those semi's in 2011 are:
Hennelly
Higgins
Vaughan
Aidan o Shea
Seamus O Shea
Mc Loughlin
Moran
Cillian o Connor
Barrett (sub)
Keegan (sub)
Doherty (sub)
11 players that have come through 8 semi's in nine years (two of them replays) and 4 AI Finals (1 replay)
Mighty men one and all"
Ya great lads but a bit like their 96/97 team. Not just good enough, 1 more forward would have done the trick in the last few years I reckon.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 11/08/2019 11:32:51    2223877

Link

So Mayo took a worse beating than us in the semi after a powerful first half. We are both scratching our heads at the moment.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1349 - 11/08/2019 12:31:01    2223909

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "So Mayo took a worse beating than us in the semi after a powerful first half. We are both scratching our heads at the moment."
Difference is that both their own supporters and the media will still wax lyrical about them (heroes, warriors etc) whereas our lads and management get slaughtered both inside and outside the county. Go figure.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 11/08/2019 18:26:55    2224176

Link