Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To tommy k:  "I don't understand some posters on here like Belclare saying that Martin Farragher "is not good enough" after just 1 game at the end of Galway's championship season and yet the likes of Johnny Heaney who has been abysmal in nearly every game in league and championship this year is "good enough" and never seems to be even substituted. Very strange way of thinking and one of the reasons Galway football is in the sorry state it finds itself in."
Its because its clear he is not good enough he was shockingly bad in the FBD aswel. Huge difference between club and county

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 23/07/2019 20:41:27    2215439

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "The reason that teams are scoring heavily imo, is that puke football has been poopood heavily by the media etc, and that has taken it's toll. Look at the slagging that KW & Galway get about 'the way we play'. Imo, the Donegal 2012 team would still beat the Donegal 2019 team 99 times out of 100, despite the fact that their 'brand of football' was effective 6 or 7 years ago. That particular DL'12 brand would age well imo, and would still be hugely effective in 2019, just along as it was the DL '12 squad that was actually playing it, as opposed to any other squad.

It would be interesting to ask Micheal Murphy why Donegal changed from a system that won an all-ireland, and almost won two, to their current more expansive style. Do they want to entertain TV land, the fans, themselves? Do they think that the DL'19 style has a better chance of winning the all-ireland, than the DL'12 style that perhaps problematically actually did deliver the big pot. The positives of 'the blanket' for Galway was that it delivered championship victory over arguably superior Mayo outfits in '16 '17 & '18, and two Connacht titles on top. The downside for Galway is that we seem to have been unable to add the counterattack element to our fairly successful initial implementation of the defensive base."
I'd disagree that the 2012 Donegal team would beat the current Donegal team. Teams got constantly turned over by carrying the ball into the swarm of Donegal players in 2012. It was a system that very few had any experience of playing against. They then got hit regularly on the counter, having pushed men forward.
The better teams evolved by simply playing keep ball and not engaging with the crowd of tacklers, drawing them out. Teams that could kick well from distance could pick off scores. Any good team today would do the same.
The game is evolving and will continue to do so.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 753 - 23/07/2019 21:11:12    2215452

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I don't understand some posters on here like Belclare saying that Martin Farragher "is not good enough" after just 1 game at the end of Galway's championship season and yet the likes of Johnny Heaney who has been abysmal in nearly every game in league and championship this year is "good enough" and never seems to be even substituted. Very strange way of thinking and one of the reasons Galway football is in the sorry state it finds itself in."
Heaney has been poor this season but has been s strong performer under Walsh tenure.
Your basing Farragher on club form.. a massive difference..
You wouldn't know!..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 23/07/2019 21:43:11    2215471

Link

We'll find out a lot more over the coming weeks whether defensive football still has a place, if Tyrone can get to the final then its not gone away which worries me as it might give Kevin Walsh a bit more faith in what he's been doing. The reality is the one really good year we've had is when Paddy Tally was involved.

Kevin Walsh must go for lots of reasons

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 24/07/2019 09:24:32    2215604

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Heaney has been poor this season but has been s strong performer under Walsh tenure.
Your basing Farragher on club form.. a massive difference..
You wouldn't know!.."
So you're willing to persist with Heaney despite his abysmal form this year and was badly exposed as being very poor by Dublin (Jack McCaffrey in particular) and in other games such as Monaghan last year. Yet you're willing to give Martin Farragher only 1 game in a negative go backwards system that is foreign to him and is stunting the other talented Galway players under KW. Shows just what you know!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 24/07/2019 11:42:23    2215676

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "So you're willing to persist with Heaney despite his abysmal form this year and was badly exposed as being very poor by Dublin (Jack McCaffrey in particular) and in other games such as Monaghan last year. Yet you're willing to give Martin Farragher only 1 game in a negative go backwards system that is foreign to him and is stunting the other talented Galway players under KW. Shows just what you know!"
You have no idea.... I'm sure when he goaled against Donegal, or Mayo last year, or kicked the equalizer against the Dubs you were cheering away...
The man who wanted to bring back Gary sice, you're embarrassing yourself...

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 24/07/2019 13:45:56    2215743

Link

Lads ye are embarrassing yer selves there, throwing around names of great Galway footballers as if ye are fit to tie their bootlaces. Have a constructive conversation children.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1349 - 24/07/2019 14:00:00    2215752

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "You have no idea.... I'm sure when he goaled against Donegal, or Mayo last year, or kicked the equalizer against the Dubs you were cheering away...
The man who wanted to bring back Gary sice, you're embarrassing yourself..."
I am certainly not embarrassing myself but you must be if you are mentioning that word! Heaney has been very poor this year as you have admitted yourself and yet you think he is still good enough to take on the likes of the Dubs. I think McCaffrey gave you that answer last year. Gary Sice has been the most influential player for Corofin this year - that's a fact. It is unfortunate he is retired and I said that also in my other posts if you actually read them so I never said to "bring back Gary Sice" . You have nothing constructive to say as you know nothing about football or players that are in form now - not sporadically a couple of years ago!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 24/07/2019 14:54:14    2215786

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I am certainly not embarrassing myself but you must be if you are mentioning that word! Heaney has been very poor this year as you have admitted yourself and yet you think he is still good enough to take on the likes of the Dubs. I think McCaffrey gave you that answer last year. Gary Sice has been the most influential player for Corofin this year - that's a fact. It is unfortunate he is retired and I said that also in my other posts if you actually read them so I never said to "bring back Gary Sice" . You have nothing constructive to say as you know nothing about football or players that are in form now - not sporadically a couple of years ago!"
Check the Tyrone Galway discussion, and you will see where you were calling for Sice to come back!!!

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 24/07/2019 21:23:55    2215994

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Check the Tyrone Galway discussion, and you will see where you were calling for Sice to come back!!!"
Garry Sice is a different class end of

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 24/07/2019 21:53:59    2216012

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Check the Tyrone Galway discussion, and you will see where you were calling for Sice to come back!!!"
Morto for Tommy K!

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 506 - 24/07/2019 21:58:57    2216018

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "So you're willing to persist with Heaney despite his abysmal form this year and was badly exposed as being very poor by Dublin (Jack McCaffrey in particular) and in other games such as Monaghan last year. Yet you're willing to give Martin Farragher only 1 game in a negative go backwards system that is foreign to him and is stunting the other talented Galway players under KW. Shows just what you know!"
"Martin Farragher only 1 game in a negative go backwards system that is foreign to him" Its not ice hockey he is being made play lmao.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 25/07/2019 02:30:07    2216104

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Garry Sice is a different class end of"
I would definitely agree with that Toman that Gary is different class. I know Gary has retired (as I stated) and I was suggesting (tongue in cheek) that if Sean Armstrong could come out of retirement how about Gary but Belclare takes it literally as usual as he has no sense of irony! I'm sure Gary Sice would have no interest in returning to the Galway set-up given the current mess that its in as you say Toman.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 25/07/2019 10:46:47    2216170

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I would definitely agree with that Toman that Gary is different class. I know Gary has retired (as I stated) and I was suggesting (tongue in cheek) that if Sean Armstrong could come out of retirement how about Gary but Belclare takes it literally as usual as he has no sense of irony! I'm sure Gary Sice would have no interest in returning to the Galway set-up given the current mess that its in as you say Toman."
Fully agree Tommy K. If Galway are to achieve anything going forward the need a trainer with the calibre of Donaigh Buckley. Just look at where he kept Mayo over the past number of years. Even with Kevin as manager and the likes of Buckley with entire responsibility on training techniques I think Galway could be a force to be reconnd with again.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 25/07/2019 11:16:30    2216183

Link

Folks will ye calm down with the "Galway football is in a mess" nonsense. We had a bad year this year but still stayed in div 1 comfortably, were semi finalists last year, have a lot of talented players and have had some very good underage teams of late so plenty of talent coming up. There are plenty of counties who would love to be in our situation. I don't know is it an Irish thing or what, but there's a minority out there who love to paint it as bleak as possible. Calm down, have a rest for yourselves and be ready to support the team in January.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 362 - 25/07/2019 11:32:58    2216198

Link

Replying To Rocky.Road:  "Folks will ye calm down with the "Galway football is in a mess" nonsense. We had a bad year this year but still stayed in div 1 comfortably, were semi finalists last year, have a lot of talented players and have had some very good underage teams of late so plenty of talent coming up. There are plenty of counties who would love to be in our situation. I don't know is it an Irish thing or what, but there's a minority out there who love to paint it as bleak as possible. Calm down, have a rest for yourselves and be ready to support the team in January."
Rocky Road everyone is entitled to their opinion just like you are entitled to yours . If you want to call it a good year getting hammered to Tipperary in cork park. Getting hammered to Monaghan in galway last year and getting dumped out of super8 and Connacht this year then you need to have a bit of a reality check. Where are Tipperary and Monaghan now... same as ourselves.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 25/07/2019 12:01:56    2216217

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Rocky Road everyone is entitled to their opinion just like you are entitled to yours . If you want to call it a good year getting hammered to Tipperary in cork park. Getting hammered to Monaghan in galway last year and getting dumped out of super8 and Connacht this year then you need to have a bit of a reality check. Where are Tipperary and Monaghan now... same as ourselves."
I do consider last year a good year. If you don't, then you clearly think we should be beating the Dubs in Croke Park and making an All Ireland final....I think it's your expectations that need a reality check. There's no team within an asses roar of Dublin at the moment. And there's not much between the chasing pack.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 362 - 25/07/2019 12:14:43    2216226

Link

Replying To Rocky.Road:  "I do consider last year a good year. If you don't, then you clearly think we should be beating the Dubs in Croke Park and making an All Ireland final....I think it's your expectations that need a reality check. There's no team within an asses roar of Dublin at the moment. And there's not much between the chasing pack."
No if you read the post I don't mention Dublin who everyone will tell you are an exceptional team. Read again I mentioned getting bet in pearse stadium to Monaghan. Getting hammered by tipperary in Croker.. reality

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 25/07/2019 13:07:45    2216257

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I would definitely agree with that Toman that Gary is different class. I know Gary has retired (as I stated) and I was suggesting (tongue in cheek) that if Sean Armstrong could come out of retirement how about Gary but Belclare takes it literally as usual as he has no sense of irony! I'm sure Gary Sice would have no interest in returning to the Galway set-up given the current mess that its in as you say Toman."
Ah Tommy point proven that you were indeed looking for Gary to come back.. Toman arrives out of nowhere all of a sudden backing you up... Interesting, split personality Tommy?
Anyways as a poster you should ease of on the negative posts about Galway football and get out and support our teams.

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 25/07/2019 13:34:15    2216278

Link

Replying To Rocky.Road:  "Folks will ye calm down with the "Galway football is in a mess" nonsense. We had a bad year this year but still stayed in div 1 comfortably, were semi finalists last year, have a lot of talented players and have had some very good underage teams of late so plenty of talent coming up. There are plenty of counties who would love to be in our situation. I don't know is it an Irish thing or what, but there's a minority out there who love to paint it as bleak as possible. Calm down, have a rest for yourselves and be ready to support the team in January."
Pretty much said something similar a few days ago, outside of Dublin this panel is as good as anything else out there and the age profile is better than anyone else's, then factor Galway's underage has been very strong in recent years.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 25/07/2019 14:32:36    2216305

Link