Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Neither keeper is the answer and we all know that. Come on now.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1743 - 21/07/2019 03:19:32    2213825

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Neither keeper is the answer and we all know that. Come on now."
Yes i agree. Its time to move on neither is good enough both are at the same level.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 21/07/2019 13:21:38    2213928

Link

The fact that we lost to that Mayo team should be setting alarm bells off..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 21/07/2019 18:35:12    2214146

Link

Looking at the way Dublin hammered Ross and Kerry doing same mayo last week it just shows how far back Galway are it's actually scary thought, and if we presist with same approach next year we doomed again Dublin pushed up on Ross kick out from start Kerry same with mayo even Meath did ( I know they lost ) but Galway don't pure madness Clarke poor when under pressure so Galway let them have kickitout,, new approach from everyone needed ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 407 - 21/07/2019 20:24:43    2214243

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "The fact that we lost to that Mayo team should be setting alarm bells off.."
Absolutely. The form of the Connacht Championship, though the games were exciting, has not exactly been boosted by super 8s games. We were beaten by 2 teams who in turn have been well beaten.

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 398 - 21/07/2019 20:34:56    2214255

Link

Replying To conordee:  "Absolutely. The form of the Connacht Championship, though the games were exciting, has not exactly been boosted by super 8s games. We were beaten by 2 teams who in turn have been well beaten."
Bloody hell we are so far behind now the top teams its scary
I mean we haven't shown any indication that we are going anywhere
even last year while we got to a semi final we never played good football
the likes of cork have transformed their game big time now

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1144 - 21/07/2019 22:36:59    2214382

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Bloody hell we are so far behind now the top teams its scary
the likes of cork have transformed their game big time now"
I would put us outside the top 10 now..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 21/07/2019 23:09:54    2214404

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "I would put us outside the top 10 now.."
I'd disagree with that.
Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone & Donegal are ahead of us

We're in the same ball park - and slightly better on our day than
Mayo, Cavan, Armagh, Monaghan, Roscommon

And we're better than
Cork, Meath, Kildare

DaveToast (Galway) - Posts: 2 - 22/07/2019 11:05:32    2214573

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Bloody hell we are so far behind now the top teams its scary
the likes of cork have transformed their game big time now"
Not that challenging perhaps to 'transform' your game, if you've let your standards slip for a number of seasons, which is the scenario in Cork surely. Cork are very likely a div1 team in talent terms for the past decade since their '10 all-ireland win, but will be masquerading in div3 next NFL. Expect ongoing 'transformation' from Cork in 2020 then!

Galway could easily take a similar breather and drop to div3, before conducting a false transformation back to the level they are at currently. Fans are frustrated with Galway's lack of progress in 2019, but don't seem to be considering the sobering prospect that the current squad has reached the ceiling of it's talent capacity.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2350 - 22/07/2019 11:57:48    2214616

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "I would put us outside the top 10 now.."
Which 10 would you put ahead of us?

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 22/07/2019 16:14:40    2214812

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Which 10 would you put ahead of us?"
Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal,Cavan, Meath,Cork, Kerry, Mayo ,Roscommon, Armagh are all ahead of us. And on a given day we could easily lose to Tipp, Clare Fermanagh,Down or even Laois. We saw what Tipp did to us in the not too distant past. We are poor at present. Look at the way Dublin toyed with Roscommon and hammered them. However a change at the top and a new approach could transform things as has happened in Donegal. I believe we have good players but we are poorly led and morale is low. In relation to Pearse Stadium I believe that even now it should be sold. A new stadium should be built in the Athenry area where access would be easy and parking plentiful. This Stadium could be used for both hurling and football. A vision for the future is vital. What are the chances of this happening? About the same chance as Walsh stepping down which is zero.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 22/07/2019 20:44:35    2214962

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal,Cavan, Meath,Cork, Kerry, Mayo ,Roscommon, Armagh are all ahead of us. And on a given day we could easily lose to Tipp, Clare Fermanagh,Down or even Laois. We saw what Tipp did to us in the not too distant past. We are poor at present. Look at the way Dublin toyed with Roscommon and hammered them. However a change at the top and a new approach could transform things as has happened in Donegal. I believe we have good players but we are poorly led and morale is low. In relation to Pearse Stadium I believe that even now it should be sold. A new stadium should be built in the Athenry area where access would be easy and parking plentiful. This Stadium could be used for both hurling and football. A vision for the future is vital. What are the chances of this happening? About the same chance as Walsh stepping down which is zero."
Cavan, Meath, Armagh, Tipp....are you for real? The over the top, reactionary analysis that comes out of some people is laughable these days. Absolutely zero evidence for your post and zero balance. If I was to take your logic and apply it differently…Galway have also beaten the following teams "in the not too distant past" (since the beginning of last season): Kerry (twice), Mayo (3 times), Tyrone, Roscommon (twice), Kildare, Monaghan, Donegal. For the record I'd have us around 5-7th on this year's ranking. Last year I'd have had us 3-4th.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 362 - 23/07/2019 11:47:01    2215182

Link

The negativity is getting silly now and is over the top, outside of Dublin this Galway panel is every bit as good as anyones and massively under performed this summer. A change of manager and tactics could do wonders for this panel.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 23/07/2019 11:49:08    2215184

Link

One thing is clear after you watch Dublin play and even Kerry and Donegal play each other last weekend. Defensive football as practiced by Galway is practically finished. Teams know how to play against it now. They are patient and don't give up easy turnovers. Look at the big scores teams are putting up in the Super 8's. You have to be scoring heavily now which means you have to attack.

To me this is another reason why management have to go. They have not looked to play any other way than ultra defensively over the past 5 years. I can't see them changing during a 6th year in charge. A new philosophy is needed or Galway will be left even further behind playing a brand of football that was effective 6 or 7 years ago.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1743 - 23/07/2019 12:12:44    2215196

Link

Last weekend has changed my mind on KW its probably time he moved on.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 23/07/2019 14:26:41    2215278

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "One thing is clear after you watch Dublin play and even Kerry and Donegal play each other last weekend. Defensive football as practiced by Galway is practically finished. Teams know how to play against it now. They are patient and don't give up easy turnovers. Look at the big scores teams are putting up in the Super 8's. You have to be scoring heavily now which means you have to attack.

To me this is another reason why management have to go. They have not looked to play any other way than ultra defensively over the past 5 years. I can't see them changing during a 6th year in charge. A new philosophy is needed or Galway will be left even further behind playing a brand of football that was effective 6 or 7 years ago."
The reason that teams are scoring heavily imo, is that puke football has been poopood heavily by the media etc, and that has taken it's toll. Look at the slagging that KW & Galway get about 'the way we play'. Imo, the Donegal 2012 team would still beat the Donegal 2019 team 99 times out of 100, despite the fact that their 'brand of football' was effective 6 or 7 years ago. That particular DL'12 brand would age well imo, and would still be hugely effective in 2019, just along as it was the DL '12 squad that was actually playing it, as opposed to any other squad.

It would be interesting to ask Micheal Murphy why Donegal changed from a system that won an all-ireland, and almost won two, to their current more expansive style. Do they want to entertain TV land, the fans, themselves? Do they think that the DL'19 style has a better chance of winning the all-ireland, than the DL'12 style that perhaps problematically actually did deliver the big pot. The positives of 'the blanket' for Galway was that it delivered championship victory over arguably superior Mayo outfits in '16 '17 & '18, and two Connacht titles on top. The downside for Galway is that we seem to have been unable to add the counterattack element to our fairly successful initial implementation of the defensive base.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2350 - 23/07/2019 16:22:00    2215329

Link

The league of 2018 saw us counter attack at pace, cutting through defenses etc and we abandoned that for the final with an extra man against the Dubs. Makes no sense why we went backwards. The U-20 game in Longford will tell us a lot about the future of Galway/Dublin.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1349 - 23/07/2019 17:47:14    2215369

Link

I don't understand some posters on here like Belclare saying that Martin Farragher "is not good enough" after just 1 game at the end of Galway's championship season and yet the likes of Johnny Heaney who has been abysmal in nearly every game in league and championship this year is "good enough" and never seems to be even substituted. Very strange way of thinking and one of the reasons Galway football is in the sorry state it finds itself in.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 23/07/2019 17:49:54    2215371

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "The reason that teams are scoring heavily imo, is that puke football has been poopood heavily by the media etc, and that has taken it's toll. Look at the slagging that KW & Galway get about 'the way we play'. Imo, the Donegal 2012 team would still beat the Donegal 2019 team 99 times out of 100, despite the fact that their 'brand of football' was effective 6 or 7 years ago. That particular DL'12 brand would age well imo, and would still be hugely effective in 2019, just along as it was the DL '12 squad that was actually playing it, as opposed to any other squad.

It would be interesting to ask Micheal Murphy why Donegal changed from a system that won an all-ireland, and almost won two, to their current more expansive style. Do they want to entertain TV land, the fans, themselves? Do they think that the DL'19 style has a better chance of winning the all-ireland, than the DL'12 style that perhaps problematically actually did deliver the big pot. The positives of 'the blanket' for Galway was that it delivered championship victory over arguably superior Mayo outfits in '16 '17 & '18, and two Connacht titles on top. The downside for Galway is that we seem to have been unable to add the counterattack element to our fairly successful initial implementation of the defensive base."
Its looking more and more likely that Tally was the difference last year.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 23/07/2019 18:07:50    2215384

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Its looking more and more likely that Tally was the difference last year."
I think so, we had less intensity, slowest counter-attack of the big teams, just lateral recycling nonsense. Second half of Connacht Final was just beyond. There is a time to recycle and hold possession but this is not plan A.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1022 - 23/07/2019 19:56:13    2215419

Link