Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Belclare:  "Tommy.. go back and find one Post, just one where I said that about Ian Burke . Never said it.. I call it like it is..
You were harping on about Power and Martin Farragher all year based on him scoring goals against club teams.. Jesus have you any idea the difference in levels.
Farragher was cleaned by those Mayo backs, as was Ian Burke!! Kerry tore them to shreds..
Corofin Stlye? Tell me what it is?
Is it what Mayo tried yesterday going one on one, because if our backs were there yesterday we would have got a worse beating.
Maybe you still want David Finnegan...."
Even though you claim to be from Corofin, you're very quick to run down your own players. When I mentioned Ian Burke (amongst others) that should be on the team a few years ago you went through them all saying they shouldn't be. How can you say Martin Farragher is not good enough after 1 full game where the style of play under KW is to mainly go backwards? Power has only got a couple of chances also (compared to Lavelle) and I think he is a better keeper than Lavelle. These players need to get a fair chance to prove what they can do and with the club AI finishing in January next year, they may get to do that. You know what I mean by the Corofin style i.e. positive play in the forwards with forwards actually scoring but still keeping it tight in the back by getting back in numbers and actually putting in tackles. Under KW there is neither. David Finnegan should have been included at the time I suggested him and I stick by my views at that time also. Why don't you come up with your own suggestions of trying to improve the team rather than trying to rubbish other posters' suggestions (as is your wont) if you claim to be such as "call it as it is" football expert! You like to talk out of both sides of your mouth also as I have seen previous posts of you running down KW and his tactics but when other posters do the same you rush to KW's defence! At least be consistent.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 15/07/2019 12:19:06    2211293

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Even though you claim to be from Corofin, you're very quick to run down your own players. When I mentioned Ian Burke (amongst others) that should be on the team a few years ago you went through them all saying they shouldn't be. How can you say Martin Farragher is not good enough after 1 full game where the style of play under KW is to mainly go backwards? Power has only got a couple of chances also (compared to Lavelle) and I think he is a better keeper than Lavelle. These players need to get a fair chance to prove what they can do and with the club AI finishing in January next year, they may get to do that. You know what I mean by the Corofin style i.e. positive play in the forwards with forwards actually scoring but still keeping it tight in the back by getting back in numbers and actually putting in tackles. Under KW there is neither. David Finnegan should have been included at the time I suggested him and I stick by my views at that time also. Why don't you come up with your own suggestions of trying to improve the team rather than trying to rubbish other posters' suggestions (as is your wont) if you claim to be such as "call it as it is" football expert! You like to talk out of both sides of your mouth also as I have seen previous posts of you running down KW and his tactics but when other posters do the same you rush to KW's defence! At least be consistent."
Again, you are mistaken, I feel Kevin has run his course, and I do think a change is needed, but I believe he has been proven right in the players he has brought on over the years. He has built a solid div one team.
Your answer is always try somebody else, you want guys who are retired reinstated, guys who are average club players playing, the system is wrong at times but your Corofin Style, positive play, rubbish, our backs are not strong enough, and we need to have defensive structures in place.
In a perfect Tommy k world 15 on 15 throw it in and all the Corofin forwards playing for Galway will win us Sam.. Ridiculous. And even though its Corofin I am realistic about how many are good enough..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 15/07/2019 14:54:06    2211386

Link

How many chances does Power need FFS!

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 15/07/2019 15:46:45    2211416

Link

Its not Powers fault, the Corofin boys were not integrated on to county team properly, the buck stops with KW here.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1349 - 15/07/2019 17:20:09    2211471

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Again, you are mistaken, I feel Kevin has run his course, and I do think a change is needed, but I believe he has been proven right in the players he has brought on over the years. He has built a solid div one team.
Your answer is always try somebody else, you want guys who are retired reinstated, guys who are average club players playing, the system is wrong at times but your Corofin Style, positive play, rubbish, our backs are not strong enough, and we need to have defensive structures in place.
In a perfect Tommy k world 15 on 15 throw it in and all the Corofin forwards playing for Galway will win us Sam.. Ridiculous. And even though its Corofin I am realistic about how many are good enough.."
100% Correct Belclare in your post.

Corofin operate at a superior level with talented players and play against teams that maybe not as fit,intelligent,organised and as talented as they are, they have a style of play that is perfected to exploit the weaknesses of club players and teams.

The club as a whole are a benchmark for every club in the Country to aspire too, but not intercounty teams

galwayfootball1980 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 15/07/2019 17:24:15    2211475

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "Its not Powers fault, the Corofin boys were not integrated on to county team properly, the buck stops with KW here."
Nonsense, he's been on the panel for the last four seasons. Sice had no problem integrating, nor has Ian Burke or Liam Silke after All-Ireland winning campaigns. The truth is Power isn't good enough to hold down the No.1 jersey.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 15/07/2019 18:27:44    2211510

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Nonsense, he's been on the panel for the last four seasons. Sice had no problem integrating, nor has Ian Burke or Liam Silke after All-Ireland winning campaigns. The truth is Power isn't good enough to hold down the No.1 jersey."
He isn't. Then again, neither is Lavelle.

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 774 - 15/07/2019 21:22:58    2211616

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "Its not Powers fault, the Corofin boys were not integrated on to county team properly, the buck stops with KW here."
I'll not defend Power, who I think contributed to his own downfall this year by going AWOL on Connacht final day. But I fully agree with your other points. Through a combination of circumstance and desperation, KW brought in a slew of players with little or no inter county experience to play on the most important game of the year, and then to really add to it, inexplicably moved away from tactics that had beaten Mayo every time the teams met. Not only that, but took on tactics that played straight into Mayo's hands.

KW made such a haimes of the game, it's a wonder he's still on the job, to be honest.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 16/07/2019 03:40:34    2211707

Link

Replying To festinog:  "I'll not defend Power, who I think contributed to his own downfall this year by going AWOL on Connacht final day. But I fully agree with your other points. Through a combination of circumstance and desperation, KW brought in a slew of players with little or no inter county experience to play on the most important game of the year, and then to really add to it, inexplicably moved away from tactics that had beaten Mayo every time the teams met. Not only that, but took on tactics that played straight into Mayo's hands.

KW made such a haimes of the game, it's a wonder he's still on the job, to be honest."
Festiif Power went AWOL on Connacht Final Day he should be suspended from panel, do you have evidence of this treachery?

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1349 - 16/07/2019 12:43:13    2211825

Link

Replying To festinog:  "I'll not defend Power, who I think contributed to his own downfall this year by going AWOL on Connacht final day. But I fully agree with your other points. Through a combination of circumstance and desperation, KW brought in a slew of players with little or no inter county experience to play on the most important game of the year, and then to really add to it, inexplicably moved away from tactics that had beaten Mayo every time the teams met. Not only that, but took on tactics that played straight into Mayo's hands.

KW made such a haimes of the game, it's a wonder he's still on the job, to be honest."
This has got ridiculous. Power was not absent without leave on Connacht final day as he did the entire warm up with Lavelle. This story gets exaggerated every time it told.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 16/07/2019 13:30:44    2211849

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "How many chances does Power need FFS!"
Interesting stat up on Galway footballers homepage.
Power has had only 8 starts since 2016.
Lavelle has had 32 since 2017.
It in fact appears he hasn't had enough chances to nail down the jersey as opposed to the other contender who has had 4 times as many chances.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 18/07/2019 14:16:56    2212770

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Interesting stat up on Galway footballers homepage.
It in fact appears he hasn't had enough chances to nail down the jersey as opposed to the other contender who has had 4 times as many chances."
Utter nonsense and no surprise who's peddling those "stats".

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 18/07/2019 16:45:56    2212831

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Utter nonsense and no surprise who's peddling those "stats"."
It is not nonsense or just stats it is a fact, Power has only played 8 games in three years. Three of them games have been when the other keepers have been dropped. Mayo away in 2016, and twice this year after London and Roscommon games. The fact that Kevin dropped him to 4th choice at various stages is also interesting and then when a crisis occurs he is brought in. The goalkeeper selection has been a disaster in the past period of time.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 18/07/2019 18:51:10    2212868

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Utter nonsense and no surprise who's peddling those "stats"."
How is it nonsense? Its a fact!

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 19/07/2019 08:09:20    2213025

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "How is it nonsense? Its a fact!"
He got a chance greater than any other keeper when he was promoted from the Junior panel having never played a league game in 2016. Four years spent in the panel since and he hasn't proved in games as recent as 3 weeks ago or in training throughout that time that he is worthy of No.1 spot.

Maybe, just maybe, Lavelle's performances throughout 2018 didn't warrant dropping him? But that narrative wouldn't suit the homepage would it?

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 19/07/2019 09:57:50    2213055

Link

Replying To EDH:  "It is not nonsense or just stats it is a fact, Power has only played 8 games in three years. Three of them games have been when the other keepers have been dropped. Mayo away in 2016, and twice this year after London and Roscommon games. The fact that Kevin dropped him to 4th choice at various stages is also interesting and then when a crisis occurs he is brought in. The goalkeeper selection has been a disaster in the past period of time."
Maybe he was dropped to 4th choice for a good reason?

Why has he failed to hold down the No.1 jersey despite being given chances to do so every season apart from 2018 (when Lavelle was fantastic imo) I have said previously that his performances have never warranted him starting No.1. Mayo 3 weeks ago should have opened a lot of peoples eyes to that.

How many chances does he need? He is either good enough or he isn't.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 19/07/2019 10:01:41    2213059

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Maybe he was dropped to 4th choice for a good reason?

Why has he failed to hold down the No.1 jersey despite being given chances to do so every season apart from 2018 (when Lavelle was fantastic imo) I have said previously that his performances have never warranted him starting No.1. Mayo 3 weeks ago should have opened a lot of peoples eyes to that.

How many chances does he need? He is either good enough or he isn't."
Neither is good enough. You still haven't refuted the point EDH made. Sure Power has had chances. Lavelle has had many more. How many chances does the latter need?

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 774 - 19/07/2019 11:31:03    2213099

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Interesting stat up on Galway footballers homepage.
It in fact appears he hasn't had enough chances to nail down the jersey as opposed to the other contender who has had 4 times as many chances."
How many clean sheets does Lavelle had in that period? How many games have Galway won compared to losing? I'd imagine his "stats" are pretty good. Yet this conversation continues.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 506 - 19/07/2019 12:01:57    2213114

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "How many clean sheets does Lavelle had in that period? How many games have Galway won compared to losing? I'd imagine his "stats" are pretty good. Yet this conversation continues."
Just reviewed it. Lavelle 32 starts and 16 clean sheets, Power 8 starts and 4 clean sheets.
In fact four of Powers starts occured following the previous number one been dropped.
Mayo in 2016
Donegal in 2017 after the poor Connacht final
Sligo in 2019 after the London game and
Mayo in 2019 again following a poor Connacht final.

They both have the same stats on clean sheets but Power excels on restarts with Lavelle regularly struggling. Cavan, Monaghan and Tyrone in league this year come to mind.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 19/07/2019 12:38:04    2213129

Link

Look lads, everything went wrong in 2019 except for maintaining division 1, which was massive. That Mayo game, we lost all over the pitch, great players, Heaney, Brannigan, I could mention others, missing in action. No need to get hung up on the goalie as he depends on the team in front of him, its a unit. No excuses, we were not up to Super 8 this year. Plenty to work on over the Winter and Spring. CB will need a good review and a plan for 2020.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1349 - 19/07/2019 12:41:51    2213132

Link