Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Who's this 'they' in Cavan that wants Mickey Graham sacked? He's only in the door there and everything I've heard is about letting him develop the team. You wouldn't be 'ag cur fad as an scéal' would you?"
The" THEY" in Cavan are the people who are saying that they need to move quickly and get Malachy O Rourke before he is snapped up by someone else. "THEY" complained about Grahams lack of tactical nous against both Donegal and Tyrone. Like in Galway and everywhere else "THEY" are the people who support the team and have opinions on what is going on.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 12/07/2019 14:58:37    2209984

Link

Well, if he's going to move on, I hope he gets a move on. It would be lovely to have the replacement in well ahead of next year so they can start getting their heads around the panel, etc. If he's not moving on, then announce it, and put all this unrest to bed.

Get your thumb out Kev!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 12/07/2019 16:21:10    2210019

Link

Replying To jam83:  "But if he changed coaches and selectors, presumably to improve performance and footballing ability, what exactly then is KW bringing to the table, organising buses and hotels?
He's still too slow to react on the sideline."
Agreed, KW's reaction times on the sideline are painfully slow and almost invariably too late if/when they do arrive. In-play decision making on our sideline is not to top class IC management standards, in my opinion. It's frustrating when supporters on the terraces are clearly identifying and saying to each other the switches and substitutions that need to happen urgently, some 15-25 mins ahead of KW seeing them. This happens in practically every Galway match. If it's not a procrastination or stubbornness issue, then the issue may be that when a fault arises with a player in the system and they're being beaten up a stick, KW doesn't have the Plan B ready to go for that particular scenario. It always seems like we haven't anticipated where things might break down or go wrong during a match, and in doing so, haven't prepared the Plans B, C and D to put them right.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 12/07/2019 17:45:31    2210048

Link

Replying To jam83:  "But if he changed coaches and selectors, presumably to improve performance and footballing ability, what exactly then is KW bringing to the table, organising buses and hotels?
He's still too slow to react on the sideline."
He has brought a lot more than organising buses to the table over the past five years. There are plenty of wins over good sides as listed by other posters

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 320 - 12/07/2019 18:22:59    2210062

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "He has brought a lot more than organising buses to the table over the past five years. There are plenty of wins over good sides as listed by other posters"
I wasn't referring to the past, I was referring to this suggested future of a new backroom team. My question is if a dream team backroom team is required, what footballing nous is KW bringing to training or match day?

jam83 (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 12/07/2019 19:57:55    2210096

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Agreed, KW's reaction times on the sideline are painfully slow and almost invariably too late if/when they do arrive. In-play decision making on our sideline is not to top class IC management standards, in my opinion. It's frustrating when supporters on the terraces are clearly identifying and saying to each other the switches and substitutions that need to happen urgently, some 15-25 mins ahead of KW seeing them. This happens in practically every Galway match. If it's not a procrastination or stubbornness issue, then the issue may be that when a fault arises with a player in the system and they're being beaten up a stick, KW doesn't have the Plan B ready to go for that particular scenario. It always seems like we haven't anticipated where things might break down or go wrong during a match, and in doing so, haven't prepared the Plans B, C and D to put them right."
So you reckon the supporters in the stand know more about the switches/substitutions that need to be made than the manager on the sideline? Jesus wept I've heard it all now. Personally, I think I'd trust the opinion of a man with 2 AIs & 3 All Stars and 10 years of inter county management experience myself.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 12/07/2019 22:01:10    2210146

Link

I reckon an amoeba knows more about the changes that need to be made than this particular manager.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 472 - 13/07/2019 12:01:44    2210242

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "I reckon an amoeba knows more about the changes that need to be made than this particular manager."
Why don't you come out & show your true colours of what your about & tell us who you want as the next manager, you really are keen to get your buddies into the job.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1002 - 14/07/2019 09:23:09    2210537

Link

For Corofin the 2 main men in the forwards this year were Gary Sice and Jason Leonard neither of whom were in the Galway team. Obviously Sice is retired but he has been the best and most influential player in Galway (and even National) club football for the last few years. Ian Burke had a poor year for Corofin and Martin Farragher hasn't been given enough chances to settle into a Galway jersey.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 14/07/2019 17:26:06    2210822

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "For Corofin the 2 main men in the forwards this year were Gary Sice and Jason Leonard neither of whom were in the Galway team. Obviously Sice is retired but he has been the best and most influential player in Galway (and even National) club football for the last few years. Ian Burke had a poor year for Corofin and Martin Farragher hasn't been given enough chances to settle into a Galway jersey."
Leonard is no way good enough..
Stop harping on about Corofin players , that myth was fully shown up last Sat

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 14/07/2019 18:43:11    2210873

Link

Hypothetically we could have been at home to Tyrone yesterday or away to Killarney today.
Don't think we were near that level this year.

P.S. Well done to the Juniors, some come back.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 14/07/2019 19:06:18    2210898

Link

Replying To johnjoe21:  "So you reckon the supporters in the stand know more about the switches/substitutions that need to be made than the manager on the sideline? Jesus wept I've heard it all now. Personally, I think I'd trust the opinion of a man with 2 AIs & 3 All Stars and 10 years of inter county management experience myself."
Obvious substitutions and switches that had to be made in numerous games I've been to were identified by we plebs on the terraces and in the stands long before they were acted on by KW and his selectors. Sadly true. His in-match decision making is not fast enough and this is worrying, certs if we've any sort of championship ambitions beyond wins over London and Sligo.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 14/07/2019 21:18:21    2211017

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Hypothetically we could have been at home to Tyrone yesterday or away to Killarney today.
Don't think we were near that level this year.

P.S. Well done to the Juniors, some come back."
We saw today just how poor Mayo are. Torn apart by a reasonable Kerry team. We also saw Corofin destroying the best club team in Kerry with their style of football. We need a new approach. If Walsh doesnt step down he needs to be pushed by the Co Board.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 14/07/2019 22:11:22    2211052

Link

Replying To crafty:  "We saw today just how poor Mayo are. Torn apart by a reasonable Kerry team. We also saw Corofin destroying the best club team in Kerry with their style of football. We need a new approach. If Walsh doesnt step down he needs to be pushed by the Co Board."
Here we go again, apples and oranges

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 14/07/2019 23:24:11    2211091

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Leonard is no way good enough..
Stop harping on about Corofin players , that myth was fully shown up last Sat"
How do you know Leonard is not good enough without seeing him in action for Galway? You were saying the same thing about Ian Burke before he won an allstar last year which shows just how much you know! Burke has had a poor year this year by his standards but is still a very good player if he got the right type of ball. Farragher has had only 1 full game in a Galway jersey so its very unfair to say he's not good enough until he is seen in a number of games. Molloy is definitely good enough and Power / Silke will perform better in future games. The current defensive system / slow build up play employed by KW is holding back these players and the county needs to adopt the Corofin style of play with a new manager at the helm.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 15/07/2019 04:16:12    2211124

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Why don't you come out & show your true colours of what your about & tell us who you want as the next manager, you really are keen to get your buddies into the job."
I'd like Malachy O'Rourke as the next manager. Never met the man, but he looks to be an excellent tactician.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 472 - 15/07/2019 09:06:17    2211160

Link

Replying To crafty:  "We saw today just how poor Mayo are. Torn apart by a reasonable Kerry team. We also saw Corofin destroying the best club team in Kerry with their style of football. We need a new approach. If Walsh doesnt step down he needs to be pushed by the Co Board."
I'm afraid mayo probably done us a favour by not making the super 8s,it will definitley have management questioning themselves as a team to go on another year and also the players,are they as good as we believe they are? People saying galway would have put up a better show against Kerry yesterday, jesus wept,our backs would have been roasted alive,that's the same mayo backline that contained our much vaunted forward line!
The reality check is that roscommon beat mayo and galway and as connacht champions were easily beaten by Tyrone in super 8s likewise mayo.
I'm hoping for the sake of connacht football that mayo do beat meath just to give us some credibility.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 162 - 15/07/2019 09:34:37    2211173

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "I'd like Malachy O'Rourke as the next manager. Never met the man, but he looks to be an excellent tactician."
Stop...

It would probably be worse than it is now

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 260 - 15/07/2019 10:15:36    2211207

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "How do you know Leonard is not good enough without seeing him in action for Galway? You were saying the same thing about Ian Burke before he won an allstar last year which shows just how much you know! Burke has had a poor year this year by his standards but is still a very good player if he got the right type of ball. Farragher has had only 1 full game in a Galway jersey so its very unfair to say he's not good enough until he is seen in a number of games. Molloy is definitely good enough and Power / Silke will perform better in future games. The current defensive system / slow build up play employed by KW is holding back these players and the county needs to adopt the Corofin style of play with a new manager at the helm."
Tommy.. go back and find one Post, just one where I said that about Ian Burke . Never said it.. I call it like it is..
You were harping on about Power and Martin Farragher all year based on him scoring goals against club teams.. Jesus have you any idea the difference in levels.
Farragher was cleaned by those Mayo backs, as was Ian Burke!! Kerry tore them to shreds..
Corofin Stlye? Tell me what it is?
Is it what Mayo tried yesterday going one on one, because if our backs were there yesterday we would have got a worse beating.
Maybe you still want David Finnegan....

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 15/07/2019 10:37:00    2211227

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Tommy.. go back and find one Post, just one where I said that about Ian Burke . Never said it.. I call it like it is..
You were harping on about Power and Martin Farragher all year based on him scoring goals against club teams.. Jesus have you any idea the difference in levels.
Farragher was cleaned by those Mayo backs, as was Ian Burke!! Kerry tore them to shreds..
Corofin Stlye? Tell me what it is?
Is it what Mayo tried yesterday going one on one, because if our backs were there yesterday we would have got a worse beating.
Maybe you still want David Finnegan...."
You'll struggle to covert masses Belclare. As long as some of these players DON'T play the better they will get. Power was the solving of all our issues before the Mayo game. He doesn't play well and suddenly its mistakes happen. Move on. Farragher was going to put up such a score we would need a second lad at the score board just to keep up with him. He doesn't play well. He should be given more game time. Move on. It goes on and on. Not just with Corofin players but with a lot more. As long as they are not playing they can do no wrong.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 506 - 15/07/2019 11:43:35    2211267

Link