Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

one thing donegal had and have that we dont is onfield leadership....michael murphy et al
yes conroy and copmer were losses in this regard but we dont have a michael murphy or joe canning in the football squad

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 10/07/2019 11:17:57    2208943

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "one thing donegal had and have that we dont is onfield leadership....michael murphy et al
yes conroy and copmer were losses in this regard but we dont have a michael murphy or joe canning in the football squad"
With all due respect that is only one element. Look when Donegal had their problems two yrs ago Micheal Murphy was not able to stem the tide no more than Joe Canning this year (for the little game time he got against Dublin). These individuals as good as they are will only be able to bring the effort so far. Paul Conroy has proven to be a leader on certain occasions (Mayo 2016) when the game was in the melting pot. A huge amount of focus seems to be on the matches we have failed to deliver on in the the KW era with little credit given to the results we did deliver. For the latter a compelling reason on the opposition seems to be the reason why we won as opposed to our own qualities.
Also we have one some key knock out matches/loser go home in the KW era. Armagh away in 2015 and Donegal 2017 spring to mind. Oh i forgot they don't count as the opposition allegedly were not up to much. Give me a break.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1688 - 10/07/2019 14:27:12    2209062

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Big Kevin, Morris and a coach to train the backs how to tackle hard without giving away frees without in th absence of a blanket"
If I was Morris I would stay well away from Galway and Walsh unless he wants to destroy whatever reputation he has as a coach. There is a bit left in Corofin still a and thats where he should stay. Look at Mickey Graham. a hero and a "genius" with Mullinaghta a few months ago and now they want him sacked in Cavan.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 10/07/2019 17:47:16    2209169

Link

Replying To crafty:  "If I was Morris I would stay well away from Galway and Walsh unless he wants to destroy whatever reputation he has as a coach. There is a bit left in Corofin still a and thats where he should stay. Look at Mickey Graham. a hero and a "genius" with Mullinaghta a few months ago and now they want him sacked in Cavan."
Who's this 'they' in Cavan that wants Mickey Graham sacked? He's only in the door there and everything I've heard is about letting him develop the team. You wouldn't be 'ag cur fad as an scéal' would you?

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 753 - 10/07/2019 22:51:04    2209287

Link

Dare I question the contribution of those Corofin players so beloved by this board?

Power - at fault for one goal, kickout terrible.
Silke - utterly roasted for another goal and missed a penalty.
Farragher - ineffective, substituted, not happy. Ok then.
Burke - the less said about this season in a county jersey for this man the better.

Good club players don't always make good county players for a variety of reasons.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 472 - 10/07/2019 23:42:05    2209305

Link

Replying To crafty:  "If I was Morris I would stay well away from Galway and Walsh unless he wants to destroy whatever reputation he has as a coach. There is a bit left in Corofin still a and thats where he should stay. Look at Mickey Graham. a hero and a "genius" with Mullinaghta a few months ago and now they want him sacked in Cavan."
Cavan were in an Ulster final for the first time in years. Mickey Graham didn't finish with Mullinalaghta until Feb. He beat Armagh and Monaghan in Ulster. He will be managing Cavan next year don't worry

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 11/07/2019 10:10:08    2209366

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Dare I question the contribution of those Corofin players so beloved by this board?

Burke - the less said about this season in a county jersey for this man the better.

Good club players don't always make good county players for a variety of reasons."
Cant argue with any of that but i would like to see them given a chance maybe in the league.
I did see Ronan Steede the week before the Mayo game in 2017 play an internal game in Pearse Stadium and it was fair that others started ahead of him based on what I saw. Super player later that summer for his club fair enough.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 11/07/2019 10:14:31    2209369

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Dare I question the contribution of those Corofin players so beloved by this board?

Good club players don't always make good county players for a variety of reasons."
Spot on , imagine people were suggesting Steede and D Burke were best midfield partnership in the county.
Big difference between club and county.

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 97 - 11/07/2019 10:15:15    2209370

Link

Galway football panel is very strong and if we have an injury free panel, we will be contesting for an allireland next year ie finalists. This forum is very negative and over critical of players and mgt.
KW is a galway legend and is trying to get the best of panel plagued with injuries this year.
If he has an United panel then another year should consider by all.
However a review of the year... may highlight a change in style to suit the skilled forwards..
Use of subs needs to looked and bringing on impact subs with ample time to allow them to be impactive.
Players ' manic intensity' need to be cultivated for 70+ mins...a new sports psychologist on payroll.
Development of goal keepers within the county..key position in modern game.

Finally keep this forum positive , we all want suscess

Galway1982 (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 11/07/2019 11:09:49    2209394

Link

Could we pay off the constant negativity towards players here, things have become nasty and the delight shown by some people that the Corofin lads didn't play well is a bit sickening. Have a bit of respect towards these lads regardless of what club they play for.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 11/07/2019 12:09:18    2209430

Link

Replying To Fewpucks24:  "Spot on , imagine people were suggesting Steede and D Burke were best midfield partnership in the county.
Big difference between club and county."
The big difference is playing in a well organized, well coached squad where every player knows whats expected, knows what to do both with and without the ball versus playing in a complete shambles of a set up.
I'll leave ye to figure out which is which.
We improved greatly under Paddy Tally and have regressed hugely since he left.
Time for a change.....
Morale is at an all time low, supporters are turning on each other.
To suggest that management aren't at fault for our lack of initiative, enthusiasm and creativity is insanity.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 11/07/2019 12:20:34    2209434

Link

Replying To Galway1982:  "Galway football panel is very strong and if we have an injury free panel, we will be contesting for an allireland next year ie finalists. This forum is very negative and over critical of players and mgt.
KW is a galway legend and is trying to get the best of panel plagued with injuries this year.
If he has an United panel then another year should consider by all.
However a review of the year... may highlight a change in style to suit the skilled forwards..
Use of subs needs to looked and bringing on impact subs with ample time to allow them to be impactive.
Players ' manic intensity' need to be cultivated for 70+ mins...a new sports psychologist on payroll.
Development of goal keepers within the county..key position in modern game.

Finally keep this forum positive , we all want suscess"
Another year for any reason is out of the question in my opinion.
No disrespect but its time to move on.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 11/07/2019 12:22:16    2209437

Link

Replying To Fewpucks24:  "Spot on , imagine people were suggesting Steede and D Burke were best midfield partnership in the county.
Big difference between club and county."
It's increasingly clear you need athleticism at inter county level. Something Steede (nothing against him a very solid club player) just doesn't have.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1743 - 11/07/2019 12:38:27    2209449

Link

Replying To GalwayLurker:  "Could we pay off the constant negativity towards players here, things have become nasty and the delight shown by some people that the Corofin lads didn't play well is a bit sickening. Have a bit of respect towards these lads regardless of what club they play for."
Im as guilty as anyone for pointing out some corofin lads played poorly (along with plenty others) this summer. Natural blowback to a multi year long series of posts from corofin fans on here which basically reacted to every Galway set back with "(insert City/West player) needs to be dropped for (insert Corofin player)" regardless as to whether said corofin player had proved much of anything at County level. Corofin have a history of producing the best club sides in Ireland by a mile filled with excellent club players but those players not going on to be county stars - Kieran Comer, Micheal Comer, Michael Lundy to name 3. As opposed to Ian Burke Gary Sice and Keiran Fitzgerald who all did great things in maroon.

Several posts on this board not only said Corofin would beat Galway, but would beat them well, and not alone that but would hammer Roscommon and Cavan too. Direct quote.

Sorry lads but if you can dish it out you have to take it (and by that i mean one eyed fans not players, no player putting his hand up for a jersey and committing deserves abuse) . Hopefully we can all support GALWAY next year regardless of where the manager or players come from. The support last night at the U20 game was a refreshing change.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 11/07/2019 12:46:53    2209459

Link

We can all disagree on lots of things around this team but I think everyone will agree that there is a split/divisiveness developing around KW which it's not good for galway football going forward.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it the only way to resolve it is for change. I, for one, will always be grateful to KW for taking over when no one would touch us with a barge poll. He brought us to top table. Mulholland last game against Cork pappered over a lot. Cork could have scored 10 goals that day.

Thanks Kevin, you have been a magnificent servant both as midfielder and manager. For your own sake and for Galway football's sake it is time to move on.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 11/07/2019 12:52:02    2209464

Link

And the rest of the other lads were better?? Stooop the whole team & management were a disaster this year....

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 11/07/2019 12:55:03    2209466

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "And the rest of the other lads were better?? Stooop the whole team & management were a disaster this year...."
I think it's the fact that the pro Corofin posters on here wanted to see more of their lads starting and when they did , they all underperformed. Molloy only got a few minutes so wouldn't count him in that. As a poster has already said, when you dish it out about other players , you must be able to take it as well. It is just disappointing that no one from Corofin performed against Mayo, Power to blame for first goal, Silke to blame for second goal ( along with Brannigan), no score from Burke or Farragher ( two inside forwards). O'Connor got point from play and contributed with assists and Coen got 3 points from play. That's the difference.
That being said, a lot of players underperformed, we kept hearing that we had great forwards but we got 2 points from play from Brannigan, no other forward scored from play. That's not good enough to get into last 8. Hoping Kevin gives someone else the chance now, preferably someone from Galway.

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 97 - 11/07/2019 15:25:15    2209548

Link

None of those performed well against Mayo but Silke and Burke have more than proved that they can do it at this level and it would be madness not to give the others another chance(s) next year. They all definitely have in my opinon quality and you would need to see them over a few games to see how they fare out. This year ended up being a bit of a mess with all the injuries and Corofin doing so well into late March meant lots of player change over and no momentum was built up. The constant negativity didn't help either but hopefully next year we will get a better run at it.

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 320 - 11/07/2019 15:52:03    2209564

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "We can all disagree on lots of things around this team but I think everyone will agree that there is a split/divisiveness developing around KW which it's not good for galway football going forward.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it the only way to resolve it is for change. I, for one, will always be grateful to KW for taking over when no one would touch us with a barge poll. He brought us to top table. Mulholland last game against Cork pappered over a lot. Cork could have scored 10 goals that day.

Thanks Kevin, you have been a magnificent servant both as midfielder and manager. For your own sake and for Galway football's sake it is time to move on."
It us unfortunate how divisive the issue with big Kev has become. I think we need a fresh start but if he freshened up the back room team(new coach and add new selectors for new ideas) I could see him staying and us having a good year next year. With Comer back and the Corofin lads in harness(thats if they get through to All Ireland) from early January then we could go on a good run. To be fair to the lads(team and management) we could easily have folded with the disastrous start but if Silke had gotten that penalty we really were right in it. That showed heart and showed that these boys fought for the jersey

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 320 - 11/07/2019 16:00:20    2209567

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "It us unfortunate how divisive the issue with big Kev has become. I think we need a fresh start but if he freshened up the back room team(new coach and add new selectors for new ideas) I could see him staying and us having a good year next year. With Comer back and the Corofin lads in harness(thats if they get through to All Ireland) from early January then we could go on a good run. To be fair to the lads(team and management) we could easily have folded with the disastrous start but if Silke had gotten that penalty we really were right in it. That showed heart and showed that these boys fought for the jersey"
But if he changed coaches and selectors, presumably to improve performance and footballing ability, what exactly then is KW bringing to the table, organising buses and hotels?
He's still too slow to react on the sideline.

jam83 (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 12/07/2019 13:58:44    2209953

Link