Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Belclare:  "No O Hara was too old and wouldn't retire, Walsh didn't pick and O Hara got the huff went on the Sunday game and slaughtered him..
O hara wouldn't be fit to lace Kevin's boots.."
Right.... Cheers for the insight

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 08/07/2019 17:45:36    2208024

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Shane Walsh missed a penalty v Mayo in the Connacht final a few years back, he missed one for his club in a County final - He is not a penalty taker."
Silke has always been our penalty taker when hes started. It was just a poor penalty unfortunately. I think his rate of conversion is pretty high but I'm open to correction

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 08/07/2019 17:56:57    2208031

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "No O Hara was too old and wouldn't retire, Walsh didn't pick and O Hara got the huff went on the Sunday game and slaughtered him..
O hara wouldn't be fit to lace Kevin's boots.."
I don't think that is quite right. O'Hara was 36 or 37 and still in good shape. He wasn't able to commit in November time due to work and different life events. He wanted to return in late January and continue working himself over the winter. Kevin probably wanted to build a cohesive unit which is fine. But O'Hara was high profile (but not as big as thought of himself), if Kevin had won a Connacht title he was vindicated but he didn't following a smash and grab job in semi at Pearse Stadium and O'Hara went on the attack on the Sunday game, he had it prepared well in advance. In fairness to Kevin he is loyal to players who commit. A few of the Galway 1998 and 2001 crew had similar attitudes with Peter Forde, they had the medals and became difficult to motivate.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 08/07/2019 18:04:05    2208034

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "aos to full back did not work, certainly the first day...

rochford has had chances with excellent teams and he found a way to lose...he could come in as part of a team but not as manager"
Mayo won. Donaghys influence the second day was minimal and ended up sent off in frustration. Against Galway he had the game won before it started. Doing what he did gave Kerry something to think about and even the first day it had its benefits. Were long balls rained in on top of both? No. Star still did well but mainly because he showed his experience and dragged AOS around the place and beat him on the ground. But importantly it kept him away from the square. Not sure what excellent teams he failed with. Won an All Ireland with Corofin and Mayo close enough. But each to their own. I would love to have him if Kevin Walsh leaves.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 506 - 08/07/2019 18:26:58    2208045

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Mayo won. Donaghys influence the second day was minimal and ended up sent off in frustration. Against Galway he had the game won before it started. Doing what he did gave Kerry something to think about and even the first day it had its benefits. Were long balls rained in on top of both? No. Star still did well but mainly because he showed his experience and dragged AOS around the place and beat him on the ground. But importantly it kept him away from the square. Not sure what excellent teams he failed with. Won an All Ireland with Corofin and Mayo close enough. But each to their own. I would love to have him if Kevin Walsh leaves."
yes he won with corofin but as everyone knows morris pulls those strings and they have gon on to win by more without him
donaghy had that effect against galway because of a debutant being thrown in at full back- that was walshs mistake and nothing to do with rochford so dont see your argument there
a much superior mayo team had to go to a replay v kerry that year and nearly lost it because of that gaff
i wont go on about the gk calamity as that speaks for itself and his constant replacement of boyle and andy moran early in crucial games defied logic
like i said he could be part of a set up but not the final decision maker- much like his role in donegal

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 08/07/2019 20:50:00    2208142

Link

Big Kevin, Morris and a coach to train the backs how to tackle hard without giving away frees without in th absence of a blanket

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 08/07/2019 21:08:53    2208158

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Lol, your wasting your time on here, try the comedy club, you will be a big success. PS, before you go there get to specsavers first."
Wow
Were you not at the match or are you mixing it up with the ladies final that was on before it
As for excuses regarding injuries LOL
the central diamond and comer missing the last night
Your the best !!

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 08/07/2019 21:17:33    2208165

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Dublin "recycle" the ball an awful lot to and they deliberately work the ball over and over on loops to get a free man roughly 35 yards out within the width of the posts for a high percentage chance of a score. You won't see any dub taking on low percentage shots from the sideline or outside of the boot bananna shots etc. The difference is the dubs do it with far more pace than we do , send more players forward that we do, and frankly their forwards are simply better at picking off the scores than ours are. Recycling possession is a fact of life for all modern teams, we just do it poorly in my view."
We do our recycling in the half and full back lines! A little different to Dublin.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 08/07/2019 23:03:01    2208243

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I'd love to see the two Sweeneys back. I love their abruptness. I think cathal bar a quiet game against dublin last year proved his worth time and time again. Defended well and drove at defences . He'd look like his legs were gone and suddenly he was bursting through. I loved watching him play

Patrick was always prepared for a dogfight and was pushing hard for a place last year. On a wet night where Comer wasn't fully fit and indeed in the connacht final I really think his physicality would have added something

Again if you don't agree with me fair enough. All you have to say is you dont think they should be on the panel. They were great servants and apart from lavelle I dont think anyone endured as much undeserved abuse as them."
KW is a killanin man. The Sweeneys are two decent club footballers and probably two nice lads also. They had heart and always tried their best but they were not inter county material. You are obviously from that neck of the woods. Calling for the two Sweeneys to return is unfair on those two lads. Park up that idea.

KW has been a great servant for Galway football but he needs to realise that it's not a job for life. He should hold his head high and make the right decision for Galway football. He has achieved alot. If he left now, I think everyone would thank him for all his hard work. We are in a relatively good place. Division one. Sticking around for another year would be hugely devisive and damaging for Galway football. I just get a feeling the supporters want change. Maybe KW thinks he can turn it around but I don't think so at this stage.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 08/07/2019 23:28:33    2208252

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Would need to see more of Farragher to make a fair judgment but looked a bit one paced at that level to me. He's clearly a brilliant club player and knows where the goal is but if everyone is fit Comer will always be our 14 and i don't see the two of them playing together. Maybe an option from the bench as our other forwards lack size. I think Molloy is clearly Intercounty class and Ian Burke is a class act who had a poor year possibly from being on the go with club and county for so long without a proper break. I would disagree on Silke, not saying he is a bad player but i think he still has a lot to prove yet at county level. Never pulled up any trees 2-3 years ago with Galway at wing back, took a break last year and looked fantastic at sigerson level with UCD and with corofin but again this summer with county (in the big two games) didn't pull up any trees v Ros and was very poor the last day. Maybe he is just not a corner back and would be better suited in the half back line but i'd rather see Molloy and McDaid play there and we have other options like Heaney and Kelly too. Cornerback is a serious problem area for us and no clear solution for it.

I don't think there is much between any of galways options at keeper, Power, Ruairi, Maghnus, O'Beoláin. If Maghnus cut out some of the Cake Curran style stuff he might be the best option but Lavelle is probably the guy who gives you 7/10 in every department. Other than the Tyrone league game this year and the connacht final of 2017 in terrible conditions i don't remember too many howlers by him in three years and Walsh has stuck with him 80-90% of the time."
About lavelle in the Tyrone game in the league if Sean Andy was able to execute a simple 15 yard pass Tyrone wouldn't have gotten the goal!

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 43 - 09/07/2019 09:19:57    2208299

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "KW is a killanin man. The Sweeneys are two decent club footballers and probably two nice lads also. They had heart and always tried their best but they were not inter county material. You are obviously from that neck of the woods. Calling for the two Sweeneys to return is unfair on those two lads. Park up that idea.

KW has been a great servant for Galway football but he needs to realise that it's not a job for life. He should hold his head high and make the right decision for Galway football. He has achieved alot. If he left now, I think everyone would thank him for all his hard work. We are in a relatively good place. Division one. Sticking around for another year would be hugely devisive and damaging for Galway football. I just get a feeling the supporters want change. Maybe KW thinks he can turn it around but I don't think so at this stage."
Cathal Sweeney did a good job for Galway and would run through a brick wall to get on a loose ball. Was one of our more solid defenders last year imho.

Patrick more fits the bill as an excellent club player not county standard. Both are clearly vocal leaders on the pitch.

Just my opinion, and im not from that area.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 09/07/2019 14:54:42    2208478

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "KW is a killanin man. The Sweeneys are two decent club footballers and probably two nice lads also. They had heart and always tried their best but they were not inter county material. You are obviously from that neck of the woods. Calling for the two Sweeneys to return is unfair on those two lads. Park up that idea.

KW has been a great servant for Galway football but he needs to realise that it's not a job for life. He should hold his head high and make the right decision for Galway football. He has achieved alot. If he left now, I think everyone would thank him for all his hard work. We are in a relatively good place. Division one. Sticking around for another year would be hugely devisive and damaging for Galway football. I just get a feeling the supporters want change. Maybe KW thinks he can turn it around but I don't think so at this stage."
This the way things are gone now? You praise a player so you must be "from the area"? Things are getting bad in Galway. Why would it be unfair on the two lads to call them back? Very strange remark. For what it's worth I thought Cathal never let Galway down and as other posters have said his will and determination is exactly what we need. He was never beaten. Even when other players may of given up the ghost.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 506 - 09/07/2019 15:50:49    2208509

Link

Replying To Ninnallik:  "About lavelle in the Tyrone game in the league if Sean Andy was able to execute a simple 15 yard pass Tyrone wouldn't have gotten the goal!"
Not sure which goal lavelle was at fault for in Tyrone game. I thought he was playing the role as the extra man and twice he was let down by his team mates. People may or may not like that tactic but blame should be apportioned correctly. The third goal he was beaten top a high ball he should never have had to come for but he was given no option.

SA was very poor that day.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 09/07/2019 16:24:10    2208529

Link

I dont mind someone saying you they dont agree with me. Fair enough and you're right they are from my neighbouring club which is irrelevant but appears very relevant to you

I don't see how its disrespectful to any of the lads to say I would like two players to return next season particularly when you yourself have called for lads from corofin who aren't part of the panel to be called on midseason, when the lads have put in the hard work in the winter and said that farragher did not have to perform at training like lads from other clubs. I personally feel that was disrespectful to the panel

I always maintained this season that we had a strong panel that just weren't performing to the best of their ability. I still think the current panel with the right drive can really contend for an all Ireland. I'm allowed to say I would like players to be part of next seasons panel.

If you feel differently then I'm assuming you won't be mentioning who you would like to see on the team in the future that aren't already part of the panel as by your logic its disrespectful to the lads to suggest any additions could help them

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 09/07/2019 16:57:17    2208541

Link

Agree on the Sweeneys......nowhere near inter county standard. We really are struggling for top class inter county players the like of which you will find in Dublin....Donegal.......Tyrone and even mayo.

Rayo1 (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 09/07/2019 17:13:37    2208551

Link

Sorry I read your post wrong I see you meant it was disrespectful to the lads to want them back. I don't see how

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 09/07/2019 18:00:07    2208574

Link

Replying To Rayo1:  "Agree on the Sweeneys......nowhere near inter county standard. We really are struggling for top class inter county players the like of which you will find in Dublin....Donegal.......Tyrone and even mayo."
Gas 2 yrs ago posters on the national forum saying the same about Donegal after their 17 point beating by us in the last 12 of the championship. Yes mgt was a huge issue then for them but they had players of quality no more than we have now. Our struggle for top inter county footballers is not the biggest challenge we face. How they are moulded into a winning combination is.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1688 - 09/07/2019 20:57:26    2208655

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Gas 2 yrs ago posters on the national forum saying the same about Donegal after their 17 point beating by us in the last 12 of the championship. Yes mgt was a huge issue then for them but they had players of quality no more than we have now. Our struggle for top inter county footballers is not the biggest challenge we face. How they are moulded into a winning combination is."
Half of that Donegal team were already all Ireland winners......they had proven themselves to be top class inter county players......our boys have yet to prove themselves. I'm sick of hearing "oh well if we had the proper management team or this or that". We are only kidding ourselves.

Rayo1 (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 09/07/2019 21:06:17    2208667

Link

Replying To Rayo1:  "Half of that Donegal team were already all Ireland winners......they had proven themselves to be top class inter county players......our boys have yet to prove themselves. I'm sick of hearing "oh well if we had the proper management team or this or that". We are only kidding ourselves."
Rayo, that is not the point Kilougher is making, in 2017 Donegal had 11 players playing that day against Galway who have just gone and won Ulster back to back and the Division 2 title this year. Similarly in 2010 they got hammered by Armagh, in 2011 with 11 of them same players they won Ulster for the first time in 19 years, they also won Division 2 that year and pushed Dublin in the semi final, twelve months after that they won the All Ireland in 2012. They found 4 players in two years from 2010 to 2012 worked very hard, had an edge and bought into McGuinness and could have won it again in 2014, they may be on the same path again. Galway have the players and can also turn it around.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 09/07/2019 22:34:06    2208740

Link

Replying To Rayo1:  "Half of that Donegal team were already all Ireland winners......they had proven themselves to be top class inter county players......our boys have yet to prove themselves. I'm sick of hearing "oh well if we had the proper management team or this or that". We are only kidding ourselves."
By that logic we should be happy to get to where we did and have no complaints . the players aren't in the county no management team can help them and the fact we are in division 1 is an over achievement.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 09/07/2019 22:40:44    2208744

Link