Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

One thing that has 2 change next year no matter who over team is naming a team And making 3-4 changes before hand it's an insult to the supporters and players as well I think Galway need 2 changes this it's not right more subs jersey on field at start than 1-15 why do this we fooling no one ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 407 - 07/07/2019 21:50:06    2207446

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Corofin are great . I agree with that ,but dear God joe brolly has an objective view. Joe brolly is full of it and just because he wrote one article you agree with he suddenly speaks sense. All of his articles should be ignored and unless he manages an intercounty team or even a senior club team he should keep his opinions to himself

Whether I disagree with him or not I have massive respect for kevin mcstay . He didn't just talk the talk. He got out from behind the desk and actually managed an intercounty team

Joe brolly an objective view the same man who swooned at the defensive set up when he first saw it. The same man who has despised galway since paddy tally was brought on board because he clearly has a personal issue with him"
So you think that only people who managed an intercounty team should be allowed express an opinion on the game. Brolly was a fine player himself and won an all Ireland with Derry. McStay is ok but ordinary and full of cliches. Brolly is critical of Galways style of play. Are you happy with it?

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 07/07/2019 21:57:30    2207455

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Why do people keep mentioning Joe Brolly? Who care's what he thinks? Joe Brolly is paid to be controversial and the milkman is paid to deliver milk.

I am a huge fan of KW and think he has done an amazing job with this team - I think he has managed the whole Corofin thing as well as he could (got guys in training Jan-March which never happens) and has just been very unlucky with injuries this year.

I do feel however it is time for a new voice - however most definitely not Padraig Joyce"
Agree, the calls for joyce are crazy, based on what? They could get pocketed on Wed night..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 07/07/2019 21:59:56    2207460

Link

Replying To EDH:  "There is more to this goalkeeper story, it will come out eventually the exact goings on, but what we know is Power was drafted in from the Galway junior panel in 2016 to the Connacht semi final versus Mayo and Manus was dropped for some reason, he continued as number one but lost his place due to his involvement with his club till late in Feb/March of 2017 & 2018. Power was third choice last year with Lavelle number one who superb during the league and O'Beaolin number 2 but stayed training. Ronan got injured in the warm up in the Mayo FBD game in Tuam this Spring. Prior to this injury, Power was now at number 4 in the pecking order. At training Ruairi was 1 and Manus was 2 as Ronan was injured, Kevin was playing Power in different positions, but Power kept training. Sometime before the London trip Power became number 2. He was number 1 in Sligo and number 2 again after the Sligo game. This is where the difficulty began as his stats and kickouts were apparently superior to Lavellle but Kevin had a personal preformance for Lavellle which is fine as it is his prerogative.

Power has been as high as number 1 and as low as number 4. I don't think his commitment can be questioned, as he has remained in the squad and kept working during this time. Ruairi also has to be commended for his commitment and not forgetting Manus who appears to have disappeared. It has to have been difficult for the three.

But from memory Kevin has had O'Donoghue (Claregalway), Dolan( Athenry), Manus (An Spidéal), Power(Corofin), Lavelle (Salthill/Knocknacarra), with O'Beolain (Micheal Breathnach) as a sub in his time and Tadgh O'Malley (Naomh Anna) may have togged for a FBD game.

That is 6 or 7 goalkeepers in 5 years. Dublin have had three keepers in 40 years, Cullen, O'Leary and Cluxton, the only other name that comes to mind is Evan Comerford with a few league games. There appears to an issue about selecting goalkeepers it is not an issue from the players but a selection one."
Fascinating analysis EDH. Of course the team has problems elsewhere on the pitch, and I hate to focus on these two lads, but it is perhaps symptomatic of KWs management that this kind of uncertainty exists where it really shouldn't. Purely speculative of course, but you can't help but wonder how this kind of uncertainty, and to an extent, lack of confidence that he is displaying in his players, affects them. It might go some way towards explaining the bizarre collapses we see at least once every year.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 07/07/2019 22:13:39    2207468

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "One thing that has 2 change next year no matter who over team is naming a team And making 3-4 changes before hand it's an insult to the supporters and players as well I think Galway need 2 changes this it's not right more subs jersey on field at start than 1-15 why do this we fooling no one ,"
Honestly who gives a f*** what team they name and how many changes are made before throw in?
You have little to be worrying about.
At that level the margins are so tight - why would you be giving the opposition advance warning about what you're going to do and give them your full team if you don't have to
Move on

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 710 - 07/07/2019 22:36:45    2207484

Link

Its hilarious how the corofin posters are using joe brolly as an example of a football man as if he is some jim gavin. because joe pats them on the head and tells them how good they are.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 07/07/2019 22:53:37    2207501

Link

Replying To crafty:  "So you think that only people who managed an intercounty team should be allowed express an opinion on the game. Brolly was a fine player himself and won an all Ireland with Derry. McStay is ok but ordinary and full of cliches. Brolly is critical of Galways style of play. Are you happy with it?"
Gas altogether. Brolly actually has fans

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 07/07/2019 23:08:56    2207506

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Fascinating analysis EDH. Of course the team has problems elsewhere on the pitch, and I hate to focus on these two lads, but it is perhaps symptomatic of KWs management that this kind of uncertainty exists where it really shouldn't. Purely speculative of course, but you can't help but wonder how this kind of uncertainty, and to an extent, lack of confidence that he is displaying in his players, affects them. It might go some way towards explaining the bizarre collapses we see at least once every year."
Can't understand why you have thumbs down for that post. I watch a lot of club football and Galway have the players for sure but they need to expand the play. I don't think the entire Corofin model would work but a version of it. When you see Corofin they hit the forward line first or second ball with loads of runners from deep and in all directions, last night the entire forwards were isolated with Boyle as a sweeper unmarked with O'Shea also dropping to cut out the diagonal ball. In the second half more direct ball went it but often it was of poor quality expecting Comer to be Superman reaching into the clouds. A very frustrating time. Time to let the players back to their clubs to play ball and get some enjoyment. A trip to New York to be planned also next May.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 07/07/2019 23:12:02    2207508

Link

Lavelle has mainly been his number one for the past 3 seasons and has largely done a good job but has had some bad games hence the constant questioning of who is starting. To be fair i dont think Galway have had a nailed on no questions asked number 1 starter we were all happy with since probably Alan Keane which is over 15 years ago. Been a revolving door since.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 07/07/2019 23:22:05    2207511

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Agree, the calls for joyce are crazy, based on what? They could get pocketed on Wed night.."
Agree and i dont think Joyce would even want to be seen to be taking Kevins job as im sure they are close or at a minimum have a lot of mutual respect. Rochford seems the most likely and in terms of time to commit if he can make it to donegal as a number 2 X times per week you imagine he is in a position where he can do it with galway .

Lets see how Joyce does for a while yet. Down the line would be great to see arguably our best ever footballer (modern era) manage us

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 07/07/2019 23:25:15    2207513

Link

We could hardly have had a better view of proceedings in Limerick and in brief summary Galway had myriad fundamental problems including 1: lack of a plan (no attacking strategy, no running the lines, no structured support play or any 'training ground' attacking movements - as Mayo clearly had. Rudderless and clueless planning from our sideline. Sorry to be so pointed but it was very obvious.)
2: lack of fitness (after multiple qualifier rounds Mayo ran us into the ground for 95% of the game. Our players massively lacked running stamina as they were gasping for air and yards off their markets pace from 15 mins onwards. Massive question marks over their fitness work. When you see mayos vets like Boyle, Higgins and Vaughan still blazing past our young players, you have to ask what the hell kind of preparation have we been doing.
3: 'Recycling' - the system that's destroying our footballers. KW and his team are true believers in 'recycling', aka back passing, reversing, back to the keeper, lateral. It is known that certain flair players in training, having cut loose and scoring well, we're told that's not how we do things here, we maintain possession, we 'recycle'. Well it's not working Kevin and other Kevin and Brian. It is Not Working.
4: Galway football supporters are staying away. The turnout of us there was embarrassing and a laughing stock. And the reason people aren't coming is because they've enough of this tripe we're coaching into our team, playing the ball in lateral and backward loops, like we're going around in a revolving door and never entering the lobby. It is utterly pointless stuff and not worthy of our footballing history, heritage and pedigree. Many people that love Galway football are prepared to now push hard and lobby for change. We need it. Thanks for your wonderful playing days, KW, and as a manager for bringing us back from the doldrums to competing again but it's probably time to exit stage left with dignity and your head held high. Everything needs new impetus after a few years and it is imperative that this happen now in Galway senior football. Our young people do not want to watch this negative stuff, nor do the diehards, and if the county board want gate receipts to increase in future then they need to make some decisions rapidly.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 07/07/2019 23:32:56    2207516

Link

If you think 15'000-20'000 fans are waiting on the doorstep for a change of management or playing style before they come back to games then you are very sadly mistaken.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 08/07/2019 09:08:16    2207584

Link

For me Kevin Walsh's time is up. The decisions made of late for me seems to be of a management team that they themselves lack belief. Pressure has been applied to this management team from the Galway public and media/social media in relation to both change of personnel and style. The management team seemed to have buckled to this which has ended up being to the detriment of the belief and confidence of the team.

Goalie situation is not acceptable. I don't mind which of them played but it is about the only position where a clear and defined number one is needed. A massive drop in form would obviously mean a change is needed but neither keeper has had a horrendous game. Poor game maybe. But not horrendous. If a goalie feels every time he makes a slight mistake or a few poor kickouts he'll be dropped then forget about it. One of the biggest attributes a goalie needs is confidence. Neither goalie has that currently going by their performances.

Sean Andy number two big issue. He's being playing poorly. Don't think many will argue with that. Anywhere you look people were calling for him to be dropped. Declan Kyne and Sean Kelly were rumoured to be replacing him all week. And so it came to pass. Issue? First chance Kevin Walsh got he put Sean Andy on. Now Kerin wasn't exactly covering himself in glory out there but I don't think he's been taken off much before. And he gets booked early plenty often enough too! For me this means Kevin Walsh never wanted to drop Sean Andy in the first place. Pressure was applied to him and he bowed to it. Reminds of the All Ireland Hurling final when Cunningham dropped Collins but again first chance he got he brought him on and replaced Harte. Most would know the issues this caused.

if Sean Kelly can only last a half then he should never of started. His biggest asset is his engine and he seemed to be running on dirty diesel. McDaid battled hard but again seemed to be struggling to go the pace of the game.

O' Laoi should never of been dropped. Nearly any of the other forwards should of went before him. His performances for club and county have been excellent this year.

I wouldn't have started Farragher. But I'm sure people would say hindsight is a great thing.

No idea when we needed goals in the last two games Cummins has seen zero game time.

Molloy should have started.

Silke should of been taken off.

The list goes on.

But then again.

Hindsight is the foresight of a gobsh**e.

So lastly if Kevin Walsh does go who would I like?

Rochford. For a number of reasons. He has a connection to Corofin. This will help not hinder. If a Corofin player doesn't start I don't think there will be the uproar there is now and people will accept he is simply picking the best player for the job. For me he started the Corofin revolution and Kevin O Brien and those in the background have continued the excellent work. He has made some "out of the box" moves which I think shows he's willing to adapt to the situation at hand rather than being rigid to one game plan. I think he is the best fit. Hard to know could we get him. The way things ended with Mayo might be the little bit of carrot needed to get him into Maroon.

Finally get to Tuam Wednesday. Some great talent. Mattie Tierney looks a superstar in the making. PJ and Co have a defined ethos on how they want the game played. Not saying it would stack up at senior level but its always nice to see underage games as they are usually played with a bit more freedom.

FBD 2020 will be here before we know it.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 506 - 08/07/2019 09:51:25    2207620

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "For me Kevin Walsh's time is up. The decisions made of late for me seems to be of a management team that they themselves lack belief. Pressure has been applied to this management team from the Galway public and media/social media in relation to both change of personnel and style. The management team seemed to have buckled to this which has ended up being to the detriment of the belief and confidence of the team.

Goalie situation is not acceptable. I don't mind which of them played but it is about the only position where a clear and defined number one is needed. A massive drop in form would obviously mean a change is needed but neither keeper has had a horrendous game. Poor game maybe. But not horrendous. If a goalie feels every time he makes a slight mistake or a few poor kickouts he'll be dropped then forget about it. One of the biggest attributes a goalie needs is confidence. Neither goalie has that currently going by their performances.

Sean Andy number two big issue. He's being playing poorly. Don't think many will argue with that. Anywhere you look people were calling for him to be dropped. Declan Kyne and Sean Kelly were rumoured to be replacing him all week. And so it came to pass. Issue? First chance Kevin Walsh got he put Sean Andy on. Now Kerin wasn't exactly covering himself in glory out there but I don't think he's been taken off much before. And he gets booked early plenty often enough too! For me this means Kevin Walsh never wanted to drop Sean Andy in the first place. Pressure was applied to him and he bowed to it. Reminds of the All Ireland Hurling final when Cunningham dropped Collins but again first chance he got he brought him on and replaced Harte. Most would know the issues this caused.

if Sean Kelly can only last a half then he should never of started. His biggest asset is his engine and he seemed to be running on dirty diesel. McDaid battled hard but again seemed to be struggling to go the pace of the game.

O' Laoi should never of been dropped. Nearly any of the other forwards should of went before him. His performances for club and county have been excellent this year.

I wouldn't have started Farragher. But I'm sure people would say hindsight is a great thing.

No idea when we needed goals in the last two games Cummins has seen zero game time.

Molloy should have started.

Silke should of been taken off.

The list goes on.

But then again.

Hindsight is the foresight of a gobsh**e.

So lastly if Kevin Walsh does go who would I like?

Rochford. For a number of reasons. He has a connection to Corofin. This will help not hinder. If a Corofin player doesn't start I don't think there will be the uproar there is now and people will accept he is simply picking the best player for the job. For me he started the Corofin revolution and Kevin O Brien and those in the background have continued the excellent work. He has made some "out of the box" moves which I think shows he's willing to adapt to the situation at hand rather than being rigid to one game plan. I think he is the best fit. Hard to know could we get him. The way things ended with Mayo might be the little bit of carrot needed to get him into Maroon.

Finally get to Tuam Wednesday. Some great talent. Mattie Tierney looks a superstar in the making. PJ and Co have a defined ethos on how they want the game played. Not saying it would stack up at senior level but its always nice to see underage games as they are usually played with a bit more freedom.

FBD 2020 will be here before we know it."
I would bet on Galway any day if P J takes over!

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1638 - 08/07/2019 10:05:04    2207626

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "If you think 15'000-20'000 fans are waiting on the doorstep for a change of management or playing style before they come back to games then you are very sadly mistaken."
There was 'no one' following the footballers in '93 '94 either, when Leitrim beat us back to back. Yet by '98, a huge crowd showed up in Castlebar, even though that team had won nothing, but there was excitement about the prodigious young talent coming on board, and possibly the appointment of John O'Mahony. 'If you build it, they will come'.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2350 - 08/07/2019 10:34:50    2207653

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "There was 'no one' following the footballers in '93 '94 either, when Leitrim beat us back to back. Yet by '98, a huge crowd showed up in Castlebar, even though that team had won nothing, but there was excitement about the prodigious young talent coming on board, and possibly the appointment of John O'Mahony. 'If you build it, they will come'."
And where has that huge support been since? Simply put, it's not good enough

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 08/07/2019 11:49:26    2207711

Link

I said it after the Connacht final that our intensity in everything we do is shocking, especially compared to last year. The same can be said for the start of the game on Saturday. Now you can attribute blame to Stritch, you can attribute blame to Walsh, but neither of those should have to motivate you against Mayo. It was criminal that 20 minutes passed before a proper tackle went in on a Mayo player. Aiden O'Shea had Cillian McDaid under his thumb from before the ball was thrown in. Where was the edge that saw us bully Mayo players last year? We gave Mayo a headstart we never clawed back, although we had the opportunity to force extra time if not more. James Carr should have been dropped on his backside long before he was through in on goal. We need that edge next season, It's killed us twice in recent games

Now, there were a number of people on this forum who called for Bernard Power to be reinstated as No.1. That it was an undisputable decision in their eyes. I never understood it, and I posed fair questions in response to these calls. The truth is Power is no different a player than he was when he entered the panel in 2016. He isn't good enough to make that jersey his own. I saw no gamechanging element to his kickouts on Saturday evening. He did well to recover from the early mistake but it was very well pointed out by another poster that if Lavelle made the same mistake he would be absolutely crucified. Thing is however, Lavelle has never made such a mistake since he's joined the panel. Goalkeeper is a position we need stability and last year we had it.

Sean Andy has had a bad year but he made an immediate impact upon entering the game. Kyne was also superb until fitness deserted him. The impact Kyne had just highlighted how much injuries have cost us. Key players from last years team have been missing. Now, we should have the depth to still overcome their absences, I'm not making excuses in that sense. However Kynes tackling was badly missed all year long in defence.

It goes without saying Peter Cooke was nothing short of fantastic on Saturday evening, I wish more players showed his heart and desire. He rose to the occasion after an indifferent season. I think we all agree Antaine O'Laoi should not have been dropped but like O'Cealliagh, he wasted no time in getting stuck in. That passion is something everyone should have playing for Galway. I don't see it enough.

Walsh gambled on the changes, changes most posters wanted to see (Power in, SAOC dropped, Farragher In etc.) I was pleased that he didn't waste the entire game in subbing Kerin when he did. However his decision to bring on Comer was something I disagree with. Out of all the high balls dropped into him, he only made use of one. That was five wasted chances in my opinion. Even despite missing the penalty, we still brought it back to three points with 10 minutes to go. Imagine if we had brought Comer on then? That was a period of the game where we playing effective football, pressing up on our opponents and putting scores on the board. Unfortunately we left ourselves too much to do.

Definitely a year we expected a lot more from, certainly not the way we wanted it to end. I sincerely hope we take this disappointment and put it right next year.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 282 - 08/07/2019 11:51:00    2207714

Link

Good post Fallenstar.
Heard Kevin on Galway Bay this morning chatting to K Finnegan, by the sounds of it he will try and see another year, but as he said I'll chat to the county board.
In fairness he has put up with some amount of abuse and that alone is disgraceful.
Injuries have really hampered their year, they never got going, but the ridiculous calls from all sides to throw in players is crazy stuff. I've been watching football a long time and I have no problem saying that certain players from Corofin are just not good enough. Last Saturday Bernie had a nightmare start, Silke was destroyed,the penalty miss was the killer blow, Others like Shane Walsh needs to take a long look at himself over the winter, he needs to step up, he should have grabbed that ball off Silke this year and Brannigan last year and stuck it in the net. Johnny Heaney, Ian Burke, Eoghan Kerin, have had a terrible season, again we can blame systems but look at what happened on Saturday when we tried to push on after the first goal, poor defensive play, beaten one on one at the back..Next year with hopefully all injuries cleared up, the club finals in Jan will free up everyone to give it a serious go..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 08/07/2019 12:19:22    2207735

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "I said it after the Connacht final that our intensity in everything we do is shocking, especially compared to last year. The same can be said for the start of the game on Saturday. Now you can attribute blame to Stritch, you can attribute blame to Walsh, but neither of those should have to motivate you against Mayo. It was criminal that 20 minutes passed before a proper tackle went in on a Mayo player. Aiden O'Shea had Cillian McDaid under his thumb from before the ball was thrown in. Where was the edge that saw us bully Mayo players last year? We gave Mayo a headstart we never clawed back, although we had the opportunity to force extra time if not more. James Carr should have been dropped on his backside long before he was through in on goal. We need that edge next season, It's killed us twice in recent games

Now, there were a number of people on this forum who called for Bernard Power to be reinstated as No.1. That it was an undisputable decision in their eyes. I never understood it, and I posed fair questions in response to these calls. The truth is Power is no different a player than he was when he entered the panel in 2016. He isn't good enough to make that jersey his own. I saw no gamechanging element to his kickouts on Saturday evening. He did well to recover from the early mistake but it was very well pointed out by another poster that if Lavelle made the same mistake he would be absolutely crucified. Thing is however, Lavelle has never made such a mistake since he's joined the panel. Goalkeeper is a position we need stability and last year we had it.

Sean Andy has had a bad year but he made an immediate impact upon entering the game. Kyne was also superb until fitness deserted him. The impact Kyne had just highlighted how much injuries have cost us. Key players from last years team have been missing. Now, we should have the depth to still overcome their absences, I'm not making excuses in that sense. However Kynes tackling was badly missed all year long in defence.

It goes without saying Peter Cooke was nothing short of fantastic on Saturday evening, I wish more players showed his heart and desire. He rose to the occasion after an indifferent season. I think we all agree Antaine O'Laoi should not have been dropped but like O'Cealliagh, he wasted no time in getting stuck in. That passion is something everyone should have playing for Galway. I don't see it enough.

Walsh gambled on the changes, changes most posters wanted to see (Power in, SAOC dropped, Farragher In etc.) I was pleased that he didn't waste the entire game in subbing Kerin when he did. However his decision to bring on Comer was something I disagree with. Out of all the high balls dropped into him, he only made use of one. That was five wasted chances in my opinion. Even despite missing the penalty, we still brought it back to three points with 10 minutes to go. Imagine if we had brought Comer on then? That was a period of the game where we playing effective football, pressing up on our opponents and putting scores on the board. Unfortunately we left ourselves too much to do.

Definitely a year we expected a lot more from, certainly not the way we wanted it to end. I sincerely hope we take this disappointment and put it right next year."
Great post. Agree with everything you say. A lot of talent regardless of injuries but so many players lacked passion on Saturday. Kyne got lambasted on here and other forums throughout the year but when he plays with fire in the belly he shows why hes on the panel

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 08/07/2019 12:35:39    2207749

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Good post Fallenstar.
Heard Kevin on Galway Bay this morning chatting to K Finnegan, by the sounds of it he will try and see another year, but as he said I'll chat to the county board.
In fairness he has put up with some amount of abuse and that alone is disgraceful.
Injuries have really hampered their year, they never got going, but the ridiculous calls from all sides to throw in players is crazy stuff. I've been watching football a long time and I have no problem saying that certain players from Corofin are just not good enough. Last Saturday Bernie had a nightmare start, Silke was destroyed,the penalty miss was the killer blow, Others like Shane Walsh needs to take a long look at himself over the winter, he needs to step up, he should have grabbed that ball off Silke this year and Brannigan last year and stuck it in the net. Johnny Heaney, Ian Burke, Eoghan Kerin, have had a terrible season, again we can blame systems but look at what happened on Saturday when we tried to push on after the first goal, poor defensive play, beaten one on one at the back..Next year with hopefully all injuries cleared up, the club finals in Jan will free up everyone to give it a serious go.."
I dunno if I agree with you re the Corofin lads not being good enough?
Martin Farragher and Kieran Molloy are both unproven at this level but I think Molloy from what I've seen is good enough.
Martin Farragher I would need to see more of to make a call on - but we must remember that Saturday was his very first start in a Galway Jersey I think at any level.
Both will see Loren game time next year anyway regardless of how far Corofin go in the club.
Liam Silke and Ian Burke have both had very poor seasons but I think there isn't any doubt about either players quality.
And personally I still think Power is our best keeper.
He made a bad mistake on Saturday for the goal but that doesn't make him not good enough.
His kicking is superior to Lavelles.

He hasn't yet had the benefit of a full league campaign to bed in due to Corofins exploits.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 710 - 08/07/2019 12:49:02    2207760

Link