Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To kazoochka:  "Thinking the players find out about the team at the same time as Joe Public do via PA system has to take the cake for posts on this board"
I wouldn't take much notion of what you write. Your desire to slaughter a players at 7.19pm on this forum yesterday evening indicates to me that you didn't even travel but stayed home. Because anybody truly interested in the game wasn't on a device but urging the team on in Limerick. You constantly gripe about people not travelling to Salthill but didn't bother travelling yourself.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 07/07/2019 14:39:36    2207006

Link

Replying To EDH:  "I wouldn't take much notion of what you write. Your desire to slaughter a players at 7.19pm on this forum yesterday evening indicates to me that you didn't even travel but stayed home. Because anybody truly interested in the game wasn't on a device but urging the team on in Limerick. You constantly gripe about people not travelling to Salthill but didn't bother travelling yourself."
Feel free to scroll past what i write good lad. Don't need to defend my attendance record following both county teams all over Ireland thank you.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 07/07/2019 14:46:07    2207010

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "They arent proven winners at county level. The loss rests with the entire team and not the corofin lads anyone suggested otherwise is wrong

But you suggested before that farragher for some reason was so good he sjouldnt be expected to perform at training like the mere mortals from other clubs , he should just be selected on the starting 15 and he'd deliver. Well he didn't deliver and apparently is so unaware of how poorly he was playing he felt he should argue with the manager

And I'm sure you'll reply with how great corofin are. They are I agree, they are class and a joy to watch but that doesnt mean the players can make the step up. Galway have played corofin in challenge games over the past few years. Galway have always won"
I'm glad you are not blaming those corofin lads. Farragher will get another chance. He didn't play that badly as some people are suggesting. All of the players deserve some credit. So too does the management and back room team for all of their commitment. We may not always agree on tactics etc and team selection and that's fair enough but these guys put their lives on hold. It's no disgrace losing to mayo. They won't be far away this year.

We've turned them over consistently under Kevin Walsh's tenure but that run was always going to end sometime. We are still in division one next year and KW has brought us to that level. He's been a brilliant servant to Galway football. Let's give the lads some credit. Kevin Walsh had to deal with a chronic injury list. That's sport. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 07/07/2019 14:59:31    2207022

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Feel free to scroll past what i write good lad. Don't need to defend my attendance record following both county teams all over Ireland thank you."
Scroll back to yesterday evening at 7.19pm. You weren't at the game, you are a keyboard warrior, end off.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 07/07/2019 14:59:41    2207023

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Scroll back to yesterday evening at 7.19pm. You weren't at the game, you are a keyboard warrior, end off."
Did not say i was and i indeed was not. I go to the majority of galway hurling and football games and plenty club ones.

A man who labelled Kevin Walsh "a disgrace" on an internet message board accusing someone of being a keyboard warrior is quite the irony.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 07/07/2019 15:35:24    2207042

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Did not say i was and i indeed was not. I go to the majority of galway hurling and football games and plenty club ones.

A man who labelled Kevin Walsh "a disgrace" on an internet message board accusing someone of being a keyboard warrior is quite the irony."
Well Keyboard warrior thanks for confirming you didn't travel.
I never said KW was a disgrace. I said this craic of naming players and changing the team last minute and the way both keepers have been treated in the past few months is a disgrace.

Now you attempted to slaughter a player mid game yesterday that is a most definitely a disgrace.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 07/07/2019 16:01:27    2207067

Link

Well i apologise if you did not say it, i must have mis-read it.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 07/07/2019 16:04:52    2207070

Link

Replying To CyrilDonnellan8:  "The audacity of these corofin lads to think they have a god given right to waltz into a county starting 15 is incredible. Kevin Walsh is the man who has taken galway football from the doldrums to two connacht titles and an all ireland semi-final in such a relatively quick time. He did all of this without the help of the much vaunted corofin starlets bar one. For armchair critics to come on here and claim they know better than Walsh is foolish at best and downright vicious in some cases. He is the man who has restored galway to its rightful place in football standings and to throw him under the bus after one poor season would be a travesty. His previous team selections have been vindicated today as once he finally threw the corofin lads in, they utterly disappointed. Burke's red card, Power's meltdown, Silke missed the crucial penalty, Farragher was anonymous and Molloy jogged around for ten minutes after grabbing his point. The aristocrats of southern galway football won't be half as quick clamouring for change next year i imagine."
Its obvious Cyril that you are seething with jealousy over Corofins success. You Corofin bashers should read Joe Brollys article in the Independent today. His is an objective view as he is not even from Galway. Its not about putting Corofin players on the Galway team its about developing a style of play like Corofin which is attractive and successful. Its laughable blaming Corofin players for Galways failure as they are the one bright light in Galway football and one of the best club teams of all time. Kevin Walsh is the manager, he picks the team and decides the tactics. His time is up.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 07/07/2019 17:53:37    2207154

Link

The wheels came off the bus big time this summer. Yesterday's game was no aberration, following on as it does from the harrowing defeat to Roscommon, and the very weak performances against Sligo and London.

I'm a little shocked to see so many use this as an opportunity to have a crack at Corofin; I can only put this down to jealousy, to be honest, as it lacks any form of logical argument of clarity of thought. Yesterday we saw a slew of players drafted into a team that has a very particular, if much criticized, way of playing. To expect these draftees to forget everything they know about football in order to fit the team was daft, and if anyone could be bothered, I said as much on these boards yesterday minutes before the ball was thrown in. To confuse matters yesterday we had the team attempt to play more directly, in spite of what they've had drummed into their heads for three years. When you have a manager begin to question his own tactics, you're in trouble.

Finally, the goal keeper. I think KW has made a total haimes of this. If the rumours on this board were true, and Power removed himself from selection for the Connacht final without discussing it with the management team in advance, then he should have been told very politely that his season was over. And I don't care if he's the better goalie of the two; he made his bed, and instead of being made lie in it, he got the nod the next day out, which surely has put paid to Lavelle. Why stick around when you're clearly second fiddle to a lad who can come and go as he pleases with no repercussions?

If KW hasn't lost the dressing room by now, his decision making on yesterday's team selection, including Goaliegate, has certainly not helped his cause.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 07/07/2019 18:02:54    2207176

Link

I'd like to extend my thanks to Kevin and the lads for all of their hard work and efforts this season. The year didn't pan out as we all hoped for a variety of reasons...not least the horrific run of key injuries we had this year. The team fought to the very end yesterday and bow out with their heads held high. Thanks for your massive sacrifice and commitment to Galway lads. We'll be back!

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 362 - 07/07/2019 18:15:58    2207195

Link

Replying To festinog:  "The wheels came off the bus big time this summer. Yesterday's game was no aberration, following on as it does from the harrowing defeat to Roscommon, and the very weak performances against Sligo and London.

I'm a little shocked to see so many use this as an opportunity to have a crack at Corofin; I can only put this down to jealousy, to be honest, as it lacks any form of logical argument of clarity of thought. Yesterday we saw a slew of players drafted into a team that has a very particular, if much criticized, way of playing. To expect these draftees to forget everything they know about football in order to fit the team was daft, and if anyone could be bothered, I said as much on these boards yesterday minutes before the ball was thrown in. To confuse matters yesterday we had the team attempt to play more directly, in spite of what they've had drummed into their heads for three years. When you have a manager begin to question his own tactics, you're in trouble.

Finally, the goal keeper. I think KW has made a total haimes of this. If the rumours on this board were true, and Power removed himself from selection for the Connacht final without discussing it with the management team in advance, then he should have been told very politely that his season was over. And I don't care if he's the better goalie of the two; he made his bed, and instead of being made lie in it, he got the nod the next day out, which surely has put paid to Lavelle. Why stick around when you're clearly second fiddle to a lad who can come and go as he pleases with no repercussions?

If KW hasn't lost the dressing room by now, his decision making on yesterday's team selection, including Goaliegate, has certainly not helped his cause."
Or maybe the "rumours" were just that?

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 07/07/2019 18:22:44    2207205

Link

Replying To Really:  "Seated on the North terrace - 10 yards from where Mayo were doing their warm ups, it was already evident the gulf in professional approach.

Mayo extracted full benefit from the period; initial contact assimilation, followed by mini possession/ tackling exercises.

Down at the city end, players were casually stroking the ball over/under the bar.

Andy Moran at this stage, realises that his game time will be minimal. Nevertheless, I noticed before the start, he took it upon himself to work with the more inexperienced players; Fionn McDonagh/Carr.

It was not by luck that Mayo tore out of the blocks and, left Galway looking around at each other for inspiration.

So, it is Leadership and maturity that win out the day. Contrast the confidence/professionalism of placed kicking Cillian O'Connor v Walsh. To me, it's like comparing Woods v McIllroy in Augusta.

These Galway players are no longer kids. Whether or not they can develop into quality IC players is not by any means guaranteed.."
Funny but I remember thinking the same thing about the warm up at the time.
I was at the front of the stand directly in line with Mayos warmup and couldn't help noticing this also.
It may have made no difference I don't know but the intensity difference was striking.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 710 - 07/07/2019 18:34:45    2207221

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Or maybe the "rumours" were just that?"
That Power picked himself as a sub for that game is established and reported. Where there's smoke...

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 07/07/2019 18:49:22    2207240

Link

Lads I see ye all presume Kevin is gone or will be gone.. I hate to tell ye , if it's his choice he wont be going anywhere...

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 07/07/2019 18:53:10    2207245

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Its obvious Cyril that you are seething with jealousy over Corofins success. You Corofin bashers should read Joe Brollys article in the Independent today. His is an objective view as he is not even from Galway. Its not about putting Corofin players on the Galway team its about developing a style of play like Corofin which is attractive and successful. Its laughable blaming Corofin players for Galways failure as they are the one bright light in Galway football and one of the best club teams of all time. Kevin Walsh is the manager, he picks the team and decides the tactics. His time is up."
Corofin are great . I agree with that ,but dear God joe brolly has an objective view. Joe brolly is full of it and just because he wrote one article you agree with he suddenly speaks sense. All of his articles should be ignored and unless he manages an intercounty team or even a senior club team he should keep his opinions to himself

Whether I disagree with him or not I have massive respect for kevin mcstay . He didn't just talk the talk. He got out from behind the desk and actually managed an intercounty team

Joe brolly an objective view the same man who swooned at the defensive set up when he first saw it. The same man who has despised galway since paddy tally was brought on board because he clearly has a personal issue with him

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 07/07/2019 19:07:51    2207259

Link

Joe Brolly has written many columns absolutely savaging Mayo as bottlers and losers. He has hammered Galway constantly for 2 years. He probably had two columns written for this weekend. A good guy in "real life" but a windup merchant in GAA matters.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 07/07/2019 19:19:23    2207281

Link

If Kevin Walsh has to go, O Donoghue of the hurlers should be out the Door after him. Considering the Talent available and what a first time manager has achieved with Laois today.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1638 - 07/07/2019 20:11:17    2207329

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Joe Brolly has written many columns absolutely savaging Mayo as bottlers and losers. He has hammered Galway constantly for 2 years. He probably had two columns written for this weekend. A good guy in "real life" but a windup merchant in GAA matters."
I think we need to get Thomas Mannion to sort out Joe

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 07/07/2019 21:33:22    2207423

Link

Replying To festinog:  "The wheels came off the bus big time this summer. Yesterday's game was no aberration, following on as it does from the harrowing defeat to Roscommon, and the very weak performances against Sligo and London.

If KW hasn't lost the dressing room by now, his decision making on yesterday's team selection, including Goaliegate, has certainly not helped his cause."
There is more to this goalkeeper story, it will come out eventually the exact goings on, but what we know is Power was drafted in from the Galway junior panel in 2016 to the Connacht semi final versus Mayo and Manus was dropped for some reason, he continued as number one but lost his place due to his involvement with his club till late in Feb/March of 2017 & 2018. Power was third choice last year with Lavelle number one who superb during the league and O'Beaolin number 2 but stayed training. Ronan got injured in the warm up in the Mayo FBD game in Tuam this Spring. Prior to this injury, Power was now at number 4 in the pecking order. At training Ruairi was 1 and Manus was 2 as Ronan was injured, Kevin was playing Power in different positions, but Power kept training. Sometime before the London trip Power became number 2. He was number 1 in Sligo and number 2 again after the Sligo game. This is where the difficulty began as his stats and kickouts were apparently superior to Lavellle but Kevin had a personal preformance for Lavellle which is fine as it is his prerogative.

Power has been as high as number 1 and as low as number 4. I don't think his commitment can be questioned, as he has remained in the squad and kept working during this time. Ruairi also has to be commended for his commitment and not forgetting Manus who appears to have disappeared. It has to have been difficult for the three.

But from memory Kevin has had O'Donoghue (Claregalway), Dolan( Athenry), Manus (An Spidéal), Power(Corofin), Lavelle (Salthill/Knocknacarra), with O'Beolain (Micheal Breathnach) as a sub in his time and Tadgh O'Malley (Naomh Anna) may have togged for a FBD game.

That is 6 or 7 goalkeepers in 5 years. Dublin have had three keepers in 40 years, Cullen, O'Leary and Cluxton, the only other name that comes to mind is Evan Comerford with a few league games. There appears to an issue about selecting goalkeepers it is not an issue from the players but a selection one.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 07/07/2019 21:39:24    2207432

Link

Why do people keep mentioning Joe Brolly? Who care's what he thinks? Joe Brolly is paid to be controversial and the milkman is paid to deliver milk.

I am a huge fan of KW and think he has done an amazing job with this team - I think he has managed the whole Corofin thing as well as he could (got guys in training Jan-March which never happens) and has just been very unlucky with injuries this year.

I do feel however it is time for a new voice - however most definitely not Padraig Joyce

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 123 - 07/07/2019 21:39:43    2207433

Link