Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To CyrilDonnellan8:  "When a certain southern galway contingent are doing their level best to disparage and undermine Kevin Walsh and his management team, it is difficult to keep any good momentum going."
I think you will find if you look up Corofin on the map - it is not at all in Southern Galway!
Please stop posting your idiotic nonsense

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 710 - 06/07/2019 23:55:20    2206683

Link

Replying To Ailteoir:  "Not a Corofin man, but that has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on here. Today's failure all down to the Corofin players. What next? Never pick anyone from Corofin ever again? Jesus wept...."
Come off it, I have the highest respect for the corofin team and their recent famtastic achievements. However you can't deny that the selfless work ethic that epitomised them on their club journies to croke park clearly deserted them once they pulled on the maroon jersey today. This was evident when Farragher was seen arguing with KW after being taken off. The least he can do is be respectful to a man who has given his all to galway football over the last few years. The reality is that these corofin players have excelled at an amateur level but the county game has been professional in all aspects but name for a decade now, and these players need to make that jump if they want to be seriously considered next year.

CyrilDonnellan8 (Galway) - Posts: 18 - 06/07/2019 23:56:01    2206684

Link

As an outsider looking in looks like the football scene
in Galway when it comes to picking teams is very political
just reading some of the posts Corofin are not the flavor
of the day some are very critical of Farragher to be hones the
ball going in to the full forward line in the first half was brutal
there were players out around the middle of the field when they
got the ball hadnt a clue what to do with it Galway looked like a
team that met for the first time before the game
Kevin Walsh has to go only for Paddy Tally last year they would have
got nowhere now that he is gone it shows that Walsh has no idea whats going on

wfkerry (USA) - Posts: 933 - 07/07/2019 00:01:10    2206691

Link

Club Success has nothing to do with County Success. How many All Irelands did Armagh win when Cross was at the top? A lot of nonsense being written on these pages. Anyone who was good enough got his chance on that team. They couldn't hack it. Might be good Club Players but it takes tough Men to play County. Look back at John O' Mahony's Team. Tough Men play County. Club only Mickey Mouse. Ask the Dubs.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1638 - 07/07/2019 00:13:39    2206702

Link

Replying To CyrilDonnellan8:  "Come off it, I have the highest respect for the corofin team and their recent famtastic achievements. However you can't deny that the selfless work ethic that epitomised them on their club journies to croke park clearly deserted them once they pulled on the maroon jersey today. This was evident when Farragher was seen arguing with KW after being taken off. The least he can do is be respectful to a man who has given his all to galway football over the last few years. The reality is that these corofin players have excelled at an amateur level but the county game has been professional in all aspects but name for a decade now, and these players need to make that jump if they want to be seriously considered next year."
You hide it well so. Today's loss isn't solely down to Corofin players not performing.

Take a look at how quickly Corofin move the ball compared to the slow build up and lateral passing that has been a hallmark of Galway's play for some time. Absolutely nothing to do with those players abandoning their "selfless work ethic" today when wearing a maroon jersey.

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 774 - 07/07/2019 00:22:01    2206709

Link

Replying To CyrilDonnellan8:  "The audacity of these corofin lads to think they have a god given right to waltz into a county starting 15 is incredible. Kevin Walsh is the man who has taken galway football from the doldrums to two connacht titles and an all ireland semi-final in such a relatively quick time. He did all of this without the help of the much vaunted corofin starlets bar one. For armchair critics to come on here and claim they know better than Walsh is foolish at best and downright vicious in some cases. He is the man who has restored galway to its rightful place in football standings and to throw him under the bus after one poor season would be a travesty. His previous team selections have been vindicated today as once he finally threw the corofin lads in, they utterly disappointed. Burke's red card, Power's meltdown, Silke missed the crucial penalty, Farragher was anonymous and Molloy jogged around for ten minutes after grabbing his point. The aristocrats of southern galway football won't be half as quick clamouring for change next year i imagine."
Really poor penalty, on a wet day, low with power, not a side footed placement. Badly burnt by Carr for the goal & on a number of other Carr solo runs.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1002 - 07/07/2019 00:40:30    2206715

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "Kevin has been great and I agree has brought us to a level where of course we now expect more, getting that more is an an all Ireland final spot. I think that's what all supporters seem to expect after division 1 health... am I right?
Well forget it because if Jim Gavin took over in the morning And every player we we have was available we won't get there. This is because there is a fundamental thing missing and that is footballing ability. We can't kick the ball over the bar. We talk about Shane Walsh, Ian Burke, comer,Michael Daly but where is their 3 to 4 points from play? Today we were pretty direct at times and the final product was not there.
I'm an avid fan, at as many games as this can be over the last 25 years so I deem my self qualified to distinguish a contender from an an also ran and I can tell you this team is certainly the latter regardless of who manages them. Not their fault but the ability to get scores is not there. We are 32 years away again.. poor mayo team but their experience saw them through against our naivety. Forget the Connaught wins against mayo this was the one that counted and as I expected we failed..and I say that with a heavy heart.. well done peter cooke, Mcdaid and declan Kyne.. finally why was our cornerback taking a penalty? Because there was no balls in the forwards?"
Spot on, there is also a psychological block with this panel, they have had several meltdowns to Mayo, Monaghan, Tipp, Dublin, Kerry, Roscommon. Some lads highly overrated, lads on here pushing fellas to the fore as future stars, many of them were handed their arse on a plate tonight by an aging Mayo team, riddled with injuries & knackerd after a tough Armagh game. Effectively a home game for Mayo as we saw that Galway football has no following, more excuses about injuries & the ref & then the embarrassing scene of a player arguing with the manager on the sideline. There are no leaders on that team & that panel is as divided as the divisions in Galway football. Yet another embarrassment.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1002 - 07/07/2019 00:59:04    2206721

Link

Replying To Ninnallik:  "Second year in a row we gave a penalty to the player on the field that's having the worst game, Silke was shocking all day he should never have been given the penalty! Only for Peter Cooke and John Daly they game would have been a total and utter embarrassment!! Hopefully the next manager had the right address as it seems to be massively important to Galway people"
Your club did well out of it, right address,

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1002 - 07/07/2019 01:03:55    2206724

Link

A worse 70 minute performance from Galway than it was in the Connacht final. Mayo were there to beaten tonight but no one could complain if they won by 6 or 7 points.

Too many changes to the starting team made by Kevin Walsh, 2 or 3 was more than enough. For those calling for Power in goal should have been careful what they wished for. He's a decent club keeper but a liability at county level.

Throwing in a ring rusty Declan Kyne in from the start for such important game was gamble that didn't pay off. Having two inexperienced midfielders go up against seasoned campaigners in Vaughan and O'Shea was a bit foolish.

Not starting Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh only to bring him on after 25 minutes what was that about? Apart from the spell from the 45 to the 55th minute Galway were all over the shop in that game, no structure to their play at all and relying on individuals to step up. After a year of progress last year and that promised so much for 2019 i doubt anyone expected things to end on such a sour note this summer.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 308 - 07/07/2019 02:24:12    2206736

Link

Quite a nasty atmosphere in the GG during and after the game. Galway fans receiving quite a bit of a abuse. I know Mayo supporters were frustrated after the last 4 years and are desperate for an AI but a fair bit of it was really out of order. Sad to see as it's always been a friendly enough rivalry.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1743 - 07/07/2019 03:16:47    2206744

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Some Corofin fans are unable to see the difference between a quality intercounty player - ian burke (bad season but what a talent) Kieran Molloy , and a good quality club player - Farragher, steede, daithi burke , leonard, power etc. Have had 2 years of them on here calling for (insert corofin player) to replace (city/west) player. KW picked 4 of them tonight and they let him down big time so wind yere necks in lads and support Maroob next year not yellow and green"
Such nonsense." KW picked 4 of them tonight and they let him down." You've a serious chip on your shoulder. These guys are winners and proven winners at that. They didn't step up is your argument. Those guys are a credit to Galway football. Take your head out of the sand. Ok power made a mistake but the guy has been under unnecessary pressure. There was no movement at all by the backs in relation to his kickouts. Corofin have it down to a tee. Some of our backs didn't give him any options. They are not on the same wavelength. That's to do with the system.

Silke is a class act. He was poor tonight . If we had won tonight would you drop him next week? I doubt it. Burke is a class act and anyone with any knowledge of the game would acknowledge that. Molloy is a brilliant footballer also. Was given 10 minutes. Kicked a brilliant point. Horan immediately reacted by springing Keegan from bench to contain him. That says it all. You obviously missed that.

As for farragher, it was his first Start against an AllStar full back line and you attempt to rubbish the guy. The problem really was alot of the players we had out there tonight were programmed to play a defensive game and suddenly were asked to go all out attack. The corofin lads were more than capable of doing that but the rest were not as they are on not on the same wavelenght. Show a little bit of respect for those lads.

We were beaten by the better team. You should accept that. Stop blaming players. It's deplorable. It's no disgrace losing to that mayo side. They'll beat Kerry next weekend and more than likely top the group with a victory over Donegal in the last game. They won't be far away this year and for me they are the only side with any realistic chance of taking down Dublin.

As for the city/west players, maybe it's time they started to win the odd county title and step up as you say yourself.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 07/07/2019 05:38:09    2206752

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Some Corofin fans are unable to see the difference between a quality intercounty player - ian burke (bad season but what a talent) Kieran Molloy , and a good quality club player - Farragher, steede, daithi burke , leonard, power etc. Have had 2 years of them on here calling for (insert corofin player) to replace (city/west) player. KW picked 4 of them tonight and they let him down big time so wind yere necks in lads and support Maroob next year not yellow and green"
Such nonsense." KW picked 4 of them tonight and they let him down." You've a serious chip on your shoulder. These guys are winners and proven winners at that. They didn't step up is your argument. Those guys are a credit to Galway football. Take your head out of the sand. Ok power made a mistake but the guy has been under unnecessary pressure. There was no movement at all by the backs in relation to his kickouts. Corofin have it down to a tee. Some of our backs didn't give him any options. They are not on the same wavelength. That's to do with the system.

Silke is a class act. He was poor tonight . If we had won tonight would you drop him next week? I doubt it. Burke is a class act and anyone with any knowledge of the game would acknowledge that. Molloy is a brilliant footballer also. Was given 10 minutes. Kicked a brilliant point. Horan immediately reacted by springing Keegan from bench to contain him. That says it all. You obviously missed that.

As for farragher, it was his first Start against an AllStar full back line and you attempt to rubbish the guy. The problem really was alot of the players we had out there tonight were programmed to play a defensive game and suddenly were asked to go all out attack. The corofin lads were more than capable of doing that but the rest were not as they are on not on the same wavelenght. Show a little bit of respect for those lads.

We were beaten by the better team. You should accept that. Stop blaming players. It's deplorable. It's no disgrace losing to that mayo side. They'll beat Kerry next weekend and more than likely top the group with a victory over Donegal in the last game. They won't be far away this year and for me they are the only side with any realistic chance of taking down Dublin.

As for the city/west players, maybe it's time they started to win the odd county title and step up as you say yourself.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 07/07/2019 05:38:10    2206753

Link

Fair dues to Declan Kyne, he was very good yesterday. He has received lots of criticism on this site. Mayo will put it right up to Dublin and best of luck to them. They had far more seasoned experienced operators on the pitch yesterday, and were due a win over us on the law of averages. Kevin should stay on for another year, the squad has been decimated with injuries all season. With a full hand to choose from, and the addition of Evan Murphy, the future is not as bleak as people think

PopeFrancis19 (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 07/07/2019 07:41:20    2206765

Link

The below needs to be addressed.

- We need to return to the traditional football style we are familiar with in Galway.
- This East-West crap has to stop. I am from East Galway and and as a kid used to be in awe of Walsh , Sean Og, Paul Clancey etc etc
- Stop mentioning Corofin every time Galway lose. They are a fantastic club team with a team of average county players simple as that.
- I think Comer has a fantastic attitude. Others I am not so sure off and could maybe learn from him.
- Kevin has brought team as far as he can. Thanks Kevin but time to go.
- Not sure how but need to sort out 2 and 3. Kerin and Sean Andy a liability.
- Try to mould Molloy, McDaid and Daly as a consistent 5, 6 and 7.
- Why did Galway look so flat? Lack of heart? Lack of confidence? Lack of faith in system?
- Rochford, John Divilly, Kevin O Brien, Malachy O Rourke are all names being thrown about. I think keep it West and Rochford and Divilly would be good combination.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 173 - 07/07/2019 07:58:39    2206770

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "One final point Declan Kyne really stood out tonight... but the two other fullbacks....it's curtains I'm afraid for them they are not senior county players... absolutely no discipline..."
Declan Kyne was horse power especially in the first 50 minutes
Turn over after turn over against the head when the game was slipping
No bullsh*t, no arseboxing. Just getting on with it
A leader
If he played the Connacht final we would be in the super 8's
His legs were gone for the last 15
John Daly excellent also
And Cooke

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 07/07/2019 08:27:45    2206776

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Totally agree. I have been making this point for a few years now. The only thing is there are very few top quality county players in any Galway club at present. Look at Shane Walsh today, very poor. As Father Ted said about the Chinese, "a great bunch of lads," but just not good enough at the highest level. And we were beaten by a fairly ordinary Mayo team with Mayo Joe McQuillan doing all he could for them. I dont like to mention referees as its a tough job but Joe was very poor this evening."
if you watch the game u will see Galway got more than there fair share from the ref good luck next season

mayo_123 (Mayo) - Posts: 185 - 07/07/2019 09:24:48    2206787

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Totally agree. I have been making this point for a few years now. The only thing is there are very few top quality county players in any Galway club at present. Look at Shane Walsh today, very poor. As Father Ted said about the Chinese, "a great bunch of lads," but just not good enough at the highest level. And we were beaten by a fairly ordinary Mayo team with Mayo Joe McQuillan doing all he could for them. I dont like to mention referees as its a tough job but Joe was very poor this evening."
if you watch the game u will see Galway got more than there fair share from the ref good luck next season

mayo_123 (Mayo) - Posts: 185 - 07/07/2019 09:24:54    2206788

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Quite a nasty atmosphere in the GG during and after the game. Galway fans receiving quite a bit of a abuse. I know Mayo supporters were frustrated after the last 4 years and are desperate for an AI but a fair bit of it was really out of order. Sad to see as it's always been a friendly enough rivalry."
Galway football supporters deserve what they get. Out of around 20,000 in Limerick at least 75% were from Mayo.
The Mayo people support their team through good and bad. The best team won and should have won by more.
Corofin are an example of how to play football and that blueprint should be used for the county team. There's no point in blaming Corofin players when they are forced to play a slow negative game.
Mayo are better. That's it. they never do what Galway did last year in the semi final and League final when the main objective was to keep the score respectable.

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 07/07/2019 09:42:29    2206796

Link

Replying To mayo_123:  "if you watch the game u will see Galway got more than there fair share from the ref good luck next season"
Good luck next season to you too..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 07/07/2019 09:47:22    2206799

Link

Galway bang average all year. The writing was on the wall from the London game that this was not going to be a good year.

I do find it hard to point the finger at Kevin for the poor performances, the players really do have to take a lot of the blame too.

Maybe they do not work on forward play at training, I've never been to a session but lot of basic errors in the final third, taking the wrong option, kicking 60/40 balls down on top of Ian Burke, poor shot selection, I myself do find that hard to blame Kevin for lads.

Injuries obviously didn't help but a lot of lads are way out of their depth at this level.

Since the Tipp annihilation, one thing I have noticed about this team is that in all of the games where they exited the championship since they look like they have lacked a belief they could not win those games. No leaders in the group to stand up and say we can win this game. They were bet before the ball was thrown in.

Yes, you could argue that is Kevin's job to have the players ready and drill that belief into them.

It's a collective blame for me on both management and players. Saying that, Kevin I think has to step aside for the good of the group. It's gone stale and that is not healthy for the group going forward.

A replacement? God knows...

You need a good manager who will set up the team in a way that suits the players at his disposal.

A quality coach who can work with the group and implement the managers style.

Lot of talk of Rochy and O'Brien ticket, might work in what I said above. That is Rochys role in Donegal with Bonnar.

PJ has said he loves the coaching side of it, can we get a good manager in with himself and Divilly perhaps or let Joyce at it.

Whatever is decided Galway need to get it right as this group is still very young with some serious talent coming through.

Best of luck and thanks to Kevin whatever decision he decides to make over the few next days or weeks. You owe Galway nothing.

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 260 - 07/07/2019 09:48:44    2206801

Link