Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Think we will see one of Comer, Cunningham or (most likely) Farragher start in the FF line at the last second. Can't see him going with 3 small lads in there again didn't really work v Sligo and especially considering Walsh and Daly are also ball players rather than big strong lads to win a high ball either. I wouldn't rule Comer out entirely based on fact he didn't play v Claregalway. He'll have targeted the connacht final as a return from way off and as Galway captain maybe he prioritised that over a game they probably expected to win V Claregalway anyway and in any event as its round robin can be salvaged later in the summer anyway. Would give a serious lift if he came on on 50

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 224 - 14/06/2019 11:00:41    2194752

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Think we will see one of Comer, Cunningham or (most likely) Farragher start in the FF line at the last second. Can't see him going with 3 small lads in there again didn't really work v Sligo and especially considering Walsh and Daly are also ball players rather than big strong lads to win a high ball either. I wouldn't rule Comer out entirely based on fact he didn't play v Claregalway. He'll have targeted the connacht final as a return from way off and as Galway captain maybe he prioritised that over a game they probably expected to win V Claregalway anyway and in any event as its round robin can be salvaged later in the summer anyway. Would give a serious lift if he came on on 50"
I think there will be at least one change in the forwards alright before throw in.
Definitely not Comer though. Genuinely he is not back in full training yet so he won't be playing.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 641 - 14/06/2019 11:51:36    2194786

Link

KW likes McDaid. He seems to play him when available. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts on Sunday.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 14/06/2019 12:08:45    2194794

Link

Definitely will be changes. Could easily see McDaid and Farragher in there with possibly O'Laoi and Cummins to lose out. Brannigan cant be forgotten about either

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 82 - 14/06/2019 13:31:57    2194827

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "Farragher and McDaid are available, they are not counted as losses, although McDaid has missed most of the year and was playing Aussie Rules last year so circumstance has ruined his chance of staking a claim. The losses would be seen as Comer & Conroy obviously, Kyne (ever present under Walsh), Kelly (Ditto), Duggan (starter last year), Cooke (started some games last year, expected to push for a place) and Molloy (club footballer of the year). While each of those wouldnt start, they are all in the first 20 players and would all likely see game time. We're probably missing 5 starters from the consensus strongest team, Comer, Conroy, Duggan, Molloy & Kelly."
Debatable if Duggan would have started especially with the experienced FOC now fit this summer. Molloy also as he would first need a extended run of starts before given a start in a provincial final i can imagine. What he did at club level is great and all but Corofin had good club footballers before that didn't really cut it at county championship level Lundy for example. Wasn't Kelly declared fit and in training by Kevin Walsh?

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2405 - 14/06/2019 14:28:09    2194862

Link

I reckon that farragher will come on when the game settles down
Either Kelly or Mc Daid to pick up dirty ball From breaks
Maybe Kyne for Kerin also

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 177 - 14/06/2019 14:46:21    2194876

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Debatable if Duggan would have started especially with the experienced FOC now fit this summer. Molloy also as he would first need a extended run of starts before given a start in a provincial final i can imagine. What he did at club level is great and all but Corofin had good club footballers before that didn't really cut it at county championship level Lundy for example. Wasn't Kelly declared fit and in training by Kevin Walsh?"
Well if it wasnt Duggan it'd be Cooke, so what difference does that make? FOC didnt see a minute of action in league this year or championship last year so hes well down the pecking order. He's playing because the only other option in MF is 20 year old Darcy. GOD was dropped last year by Walsh with less options available. It's hard to see why people cant understand that hes not first choice by any stretch and that Molloy would be in ahead of him, as he was for the Sligo game. Molloy was injured for the London game. Its very unlikely Kelly will play, training does not mean hes available. Lundy was Galway's player of the year when they reached the last 8 in 2014 so that part is incorrect also

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 82 - 14/06/2019 15:33:34    2194896

Link

2 be honest if the team that's named starts don't think we have a hope the full forward line never scored v Sligo and only 2 points v London could see Cooke starting centre forward also farragher starting full with o Laoi and Cummins loosing out even though Cummins plays well v Ross also think if molloy ruled out Heaney could go wing back and Brannigan 2 half forward ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 321 - 14/06/2019 15:45:15    2194901

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "Well if it wasnt Duggan it'd be Cooke, so what difference does that make? FOC didnt see a minute of action in league this year or championship last year so hes well down the pecking order. He's playing because the only other option in MF is 20 year old Darcy. GOD was dropped last year by Walsh with less options available. It's hard to see why people cant understand that hes not first choice by any stretch and that Molloy would be in ahead of him, as he was for the Sligo game. Molloy was injured for the London game. Its very unlikely Kelly will play, training does not mean hes available. Lundy was Galway's player of the year when they reached the last 8 in 2014 so that part is incorrect also"
Cooke would be in the same boat as Duggan matter of fact am i right in saying he has started less championship games? FOC is established Galway senior county player, what he brings to the team is well known at this stage. A starter before a long term injury and he has a good understanding playing along side Flynn having won U21 All Irelands together.

O'Donnell i believe was one of the stand out players in the league win over Roscommon in March and with his experience of starting and winning Connacht finals its not hard to see why Kevin Walsh has given him the nod to start once more. Its not incorrect to say that Lundy never reach his full potential at county level and its important that players such as Molloy aren't hyped up before they establish themselves at county level.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2405 - 14/06/2019 17:44:11    2194950

Link

Hi everyone,

I would just like to inform everyone that there will be a bucket collection outside Pearse Stadium on Sunday before the match aid of A voice for John and the Irish Motor Neuron Disease Association (IMNDA). Any donations will be greatly appreciated and all money raised will go to IMNDA.

For more information on our campaign, please see A Voice for John Facebook page.

AVoiceforJohn (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 14/06/2019 17:45:51    2194952

Link

Be very interesting to see if all these Roscommon fans who have such strong opinions on who should or shouldnt be starting for Galway keep up their interest after Sundays game. Its been very entertaining getting all these wacky thoughts. FOC being first choice despite not seeing an ounce of playing time in 7 league games is my personal favorite so far but theres very strong competition on that front

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 82 - 14/06/2019 18:01:31    2194960

Link

Here is the link to A Voice for John Facebook page! Thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/donate/551808155224305/?fundraiser_source=external_url

AVoiceforJohn (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 14/06/2019 18:03:03    2194962

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "Be very interesting to see if all these Roscommon fans who have such strong opinions on who should or shouldnt be starting for Galway keep up their interest after Sundays game. Its been very entertaining getting all these wacky thoughts. FOC being first choice despite not seeing an ounce of playing time in 7 league games is my personal favorite so far but theres very strong competition on that front"
Can't speak for Roscommon fans but my opinion is totally neutral and have given a strong view point as to why FOC is back starting. If you don't agree with that its fine i won't get upset. Plenty of players that you and others are calling to start played little or no league football this spring don't forget.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2405 - 14/06/2019 19:05:36    2194994

Link

Are subs named?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 14/06/2019 23:20:34    2195111

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Cooke would be in the same boat as Duggan matter of fact am i right in saying he has started less championship games? FOC is established Galway senior county player, what he brings to the team is well known at this stage. A starter before a long term injury and he has a good understanding playing along side Flynn having won U21 All Irelands together.

O'Donnell i believe was one of the stand out players in the league win over Roscommon in March and with his experience of starting and winning Connacht finals its not hard to see why Kevin Walsh has given him the nod to start once more. Its not incorrect to say that Lundy never reach his full potential at county level and its important that players such as Molloy aren't hyped up before they establish themselves at county level."
FOC has done well to come back from serious injury and should be given credit for that. He has been a good servant. He played well against Sligo but they are heading to division 4 next year. If Duggan is fit then he has to start. FOC has played most of his senior football against division 2 opposition.

In Championship against the likes of Donegal, Kerry and Tipp when we suffered heavy defeats in the championship, he wasn't able to make the step up. Maybe he'll do it sunday but if Duggan, Conroy or Cooke are fit then he'll be under pressure to hold down a starting place. That's no disrespect to FOC but the panel is alot stronger now than what it was when he was holding down a regular place at midfield.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 15/06/2019 10:43:17    2195184

Link

I definitely think Galway will have play 2-3 of Cooke , Kelly Brannigan, Dugan mcdaid farragher molloy prob 3 I think it's great having good bench but 2 years ago in salthill game was gone after 20 mins

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 321 - 15/06/2019 11:25:37    2195195

Link

I'm hearing that Power has been dropped.
Can't understand that one.
I've seen both Goalkeepers in club Championship action already this season and it's not even close IMO.(Hennelly/Clarke stuff going on here)
Forecast for wind and rain.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 15/06/2019 12:18:17    2195215

Link

Beidh bua ar Gaillimh. Galway will win by 2 or 3 points.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1574 - 15/06/2019 13:06:24    2195230

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "I'm hearing that Power has been dropped.
Can't understand that one.
I've seen both Goalkeepers in club Championship action already this season and it's not even close IMO.(Hennelly/Clarke stuff going on here)
Forecast for wind and rain."
Where did you hear that. Why would he be named and dropped? On weather the forecast I am seeing is for rain but light wind. Then again 'light' in Salthill often results in much stronger winds than elsewhere.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 15/06/2019 14:57:05    2195256

Link

Galway exit hurling - what are the chances of Daithi joining football panel..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 317 - 15/06/2019 20:43:16    2195406

Link