Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To kiloughter:  "No Martin Farragher. No Cillian McDaid plus 4 of the 7 out through injury who would have started. Experience of previous Connacht Finals but even without the injured 7 to add to the mix the team announced is not our best 15. I think there may be changes closer to throw in. That FF line (all great players) too light as a collective."
Kevin rarely starts a team similar to the one he has named

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 375 - 13/06/2019 15:00:45    2194467

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "No Martin Farragher. No Cillian McDaid plus 4 of the 7 out through injury who would have started. Experience of previous Connacht Finals but even without the injured 7 to add to the mix the team announced is not our best 15. I think there may be changes closer to throw in. That FF line (all great players) too light as a collective."
They're not going in against Harry Keegan & Pat Lindsey either though. Have Ros any top defenders? I didn't notice any in the recent Mayo/Ros match, but Mayo kicked it away as usual.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2278 - 13/06/2019 15:26:30    2194478

Link

Team that was named to play Sligo started the game so at most maybe one change to this team that has been named today with Cummins dropping out. Side note, about 70% chance of rain all afternoon on Sunday so could be a very low scoring game.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 13/06/2019 15:44:08    2194483

Link

Flip side.. We have one hell of a bench when we turn to it early on the second half..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 13/06/2019 15:54:10    2194489

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Flip side.. We have one hell of a bench when we turn to it early on the second half.."
Are Cooke and Kelly available for the bench? If so we could be looking at Conroy, Kelly, Farragher, McDaid, Cooke, Brannigan, Finnerty and I wouldnt rule out one of Comer, Molloy or Kyne appearing on the bench.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 13/06/2019 16:21:40    2194500

Link

I agree all 3 are good footballers but lack physicallity. That's why i'm suprised Kevin Walsh didn't pick Martin Farragher as his physicality could be useful against the rossies but i'm sure he will be introduced at some stage. 2 echo the point of a later post we do have a very good bench to call upon. Cooke and Kelly (if fit) Conroy, Farragher, Brannigan, Molloy (if fit) Varley, Mcdaid, Kyne, Finnerty and Comer when fit. Those are the kind of impact players we didn't have last year mind you I would have loved 2 have Jason Leonard in a maroon jersey this year.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 336 - 13/06/2019 18:01:03    2194532

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "They're not going in against Harry Keegan & Pat Lindsey either though. Have Ros any top defenders? I didn't notice any in the recent Mayo/Ros match, but Mayo kicked it away as usual."
We would love to have Harry Keegan and Pat Lindsay on Sunday.Both are retired unfortunately.!

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1083 - 13/06/2019 18:02:14    2194534

Link

Forgot about Duggan as well.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 336 - 13/06/2019 18:03:21    2194536

Link

So this is the announced team for Sunday:

Bernard Power (Corofin)
Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdown)
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Ánna, LeitirMór)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
Gareth Bradshaw (Moycullen)
John Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
Fiontán Ó Curraoin (Michéal Breathnach)
Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin Clonberne)
Michael Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Antaine Ó Laoí (An Spidéal)
Ian Burke (Corofin)
Danny Cummins (Claregalway)

I would like to have seen Martin Farragher, Cillian McDaid and Paul Conroy starting but if they are subs that would be the next best thing I suppose. Comer would be another useful addition!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 13/06/2019 18:32:51    2194547

Link

Is Jason Leonard still on the panel? I hope he gets a chance to shine also as he is a very talented player.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 13/06/2019 18:37:30    2194549

Link

Agreed. A dummy team. Along way off our best 15 even allowing for injuries. I'd expect 3 changes to that 15. Looks like we'll have to contend with the usual hurricane force winds, driving rain and huge tailbacks to and from the ground. Can't really blame the players for voicing their frustrations about the venue. Train hard all year and then asked to play at a venue where the weather usually reduces the game into a lottery.

Anyway, I'd expect Farragher to start at 14. He's a strong lad and would bring a physical edge to our front line which will be needed on a heavy wet pitch. If Conroy is fit then he should start at midfield and I'd also start mcdaid at wing forward. Another strong man with a big engine to get up and down the field. He'll also keep the scoreboard ticking over and is a class act.

Best of luck to the management and players. We should win but with our significant injury list and bad weather conditions magnified by the venue, it will be close.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 13/06/2019 19:14:10    2194565

Link

What do you mean no Martin Farragher and Cillian McDaid? both will be on the bench as they were for the previous games and you hardly expected one or both to start their first championship game in a Connacht final. On injuries as i pointed out already the only key players that Galway are missing are Comer and Conroy but both could play a part on Sunday yet.

M Daly or S Walsh can move into the full forward if issues with height. Cummins starting was a no brainier after his performance in the league v Roscommon. Antaine Ó Laoi has more than earned his starting spot also. The rest of the team has started in and beat Roscommon in recent Connacht finals so can be few complaints about the strengths and experience of that Galway 15 named.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 232 - 13/06/2019 20:19:38    2194576

Link

Replying To Yondu:  "What do you mean no Martin Farragher and Cillian McDaid? both will be on the bench as they were for the previous games and you hardly expected one or both to start their first championship game in a Connacht final. On injuries as i pointed out already the only key players that Galway are missing are Comer and Conroy but both could play a part on Sunday yet.

M Daly or S Walsh can move into the full forward if issues with height. Cummins starting was a no brainier after his performance in the league v Roscommon. Antaine Ó Laoi has more than earned his starting spot also. The rest of the team has started in and beat Roscommon in recent Connacht finals so can be few complaints about the strengths and experience of that Galway 15 named."
Are you for real. Comer was not even on the subs list for Annaghdown's first championship game 2 weeks ago. If he was on the bench on Sun i can only imagine it is for motivation reasons. Yes no Farragher or McDaid on the first 15. Can it be made clearer. It is far from our best 15 given the full context. As I said in another post the FF line is talented but as collective too light. Farragher would give that physical edge. Whether many starting on Sunday played in previous Connacht finals or not is not the issue. It is the here and now and guys who have form. Molloy, Farragher and McDaid are serious ballers and within the best 15 players in the county. Add in Comer and Duggan, Conroy and Cooke and fair to say a serious loss to any team.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 13/06/2019 21:51:15    2194612

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Are you for real. Comer was not even on the subs list for Annaghdown's first championship game 2 weeks ago. If he was on the bench on Sun i can only imagine it is for motivation reasons. Yes no Farragher or McDaid on the first 15. Can it be made clearer. It is far from our best 15 given the full context. As I said in another post the FF line is talented but as collective too light. Farragher would give that physical edge. Whether many starting on Sunday played in previous Connacht finals or not is not the issue. It is the here and now and guys who have form. Molloy, Farragher and McDaid are serious ballers and within the best 15 players in the county. Add in Comer and Duggan, Conroy and Cooke and fair to say a serious loss to any team."
I have a feeling Farragher will start in the ff line in place of either Cummins or O Laoi.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 641 - 13/06/2019 22:23:16    2194630

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Are you for real. Comer was not even on the subs list for Annaghdown's first championship game 2 weeks ago. If he was on the bench on Sun i can only imagine it is for motivation reasons. Yes no Farragher or McDaid on the first 15. Can it be made clearer. It is far from our best 15 given the full context. As I said in another post the FF line is talented but as collective too light. Farragher would give that physical edge. Whether many starting on Sunday played in previous Connacht finals or not is not the issue. It is the here and now and guys who have form. Molloy, Farragher and McDaid are serious ballers and within the best 15 players in the county. Add in Comer and Duggan, Conroy and Cooke and fair to say a serious loss to any team."
Happy with the Team.. a few forwards I wouldnt rate highly but Comer is injured so thats a big loss. Farragher will most probably have to come in Early. The pitch is looking magnificent. Salthill is looking beautiful so all we need is a tricky little wind to sort the men from the boys.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1577 - 13/06/2019 22:27:27    2194633

Link

That has to be the smallest and lightest full forward line in the championship?
All good ballers but seriously lacking a bit of ooomph.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 13/06/2019 23:54:03    2194667

Link

Molloy,Farragher,Cooker,McDaid four players that I could probably count on one hand the combined championship starts they have made for Galway seniors

Quick question for you and indeed other Galway supporters with a similar view. How and why are players such as them are classed as serious losses and judged as within the best 15 players in Galway when they have yet to prove themselves at this level? and by the way a good number of players will be involved on Sunday so not losses.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2405 - 14/06/2019 00:12:21    2194670

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Molloy,Farragher,Cooker,McDaid four players that I could probably count on one hand the combined championship starts they have made for Galway seniors

Quick question for you and indeed other Galway supporters with a similar view. How and why are players such as them are classed as serious losses and judged as within the best 15 players in Galway when they have yet to prove themselves at this level? and by the way a good number of players will be involved on Sunday so not losses."
Farragher and McDaid are available, they are not counted as losses, although McDaid has missed most of the year and was playing Aussie Rules last year so circumstance has ruined his chance of staking a claim. The losses would be seen as Comer & Conroy obviously, Kyne (ever present under Walsh), Kelly (Ditto), Duggan (starter last year), Cooke (started some games last year, expected to push for a place) and Molloy (club footballer of the year). While each of those wouldnt start, they are all in the first 20 players and would all likely see game time. We're probably missing 5 starters from the consensus strongest team, Comer, Conroy, Duggan, Molloy & Kelly.

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 82 - 14/06/2019 09:54:45    2194719

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Molloy,Farragher,Cooker,McDaid four players that I could probably count on one hand the combined championship starts they have made for Galway seniors

Quick question for you and indeed other Galway supporters with a similar view. How and why are players such as them are classed as serious losses and judged as within the best 15 players in Galway when they have yet to prove themselves at this level? and by the way a good number of players will be involved on Sunday so not losses."
Molloy and farragher have played very little football at this level due to club commitments. They are serious additions to the squad. As the summer progresses that will become obvious to everyone.

Mcdaid has been out injured but he played against Dublin in the league. He came off at half time injured but in the first half he was brilliant. Dublin defenders were unable to contain him and up until halftime, he was the best man on the pitch. He kicked 2 super points and could have scored a goal. Like Molloy and farragher, he will show what he's capable of and will be a nailed on starter as the summer progresses.

KW will probably introduce them gradually which is understandable as they are returning from injury. Duggan is also a big loss but hopefully he returns to fitness quickly. I'd be surprised if Conroy doesn't start on Sunday. He's a class act. Molloy probably won't feature due to his ankle injury. Farragher will probably come in from the bench but should really be starting as he's a natural at 14.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 14/06/2019 09:59:49    2194720

Link

But that is the point. While inexperienced they are the form players and obviously the future. For instance GOD and Bradshaw (great servants) have probably had their best days. Also for us to develop we have like any other team have new lads starting every year or at least every other year. Galway football folk have great time for GOD and Bradshaw but most would feel the loss of most of the guys deemed out greater in terms of our chances. It is not all about guys just because they have 10 yrs experience.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 14/06/2019 10:01:12    2194723

Link