Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

you know whats worse about our Connacht final performance
is that a lot of teams seem to have moved on to play a more attacking brand of football
we are still stuck playing this negative style

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 993 - 22/06/2019 20:48:23    2198683

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "you know whats worse about our Connacht final performance
is that a lot of teams seem to have moved on to play a more attacking brand of football
we are still stuck playing this negative style"
Watched Munster final this evening - absolutely nothing to fear. If, and it's a big IF, KW consents to giving permission to half-back line to launch constructive attacks, with pace and power, then the season can be saved... Must say I admired Cork's attitude, although their inexperience was always going to cost them.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 317 - 22/06/2019 21:55:59    2198729

Link

Replying To Really:  "Watched Munster final this evening - absolutely nothing to fear. If, and it's a big IF, KW consents to giving permission to half-back line to launch constructive attacks, with pace and power, then the season can be saved... Must say I admired Cork's attitude, although their inexperience was always going to cost them."
I hope so
we have to let the lads play football
we have nothing to loose

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 993 - 22/06/2019 22:11:09    2198739

Link

Martin Farragher scored 3-4 this evening, Ian Burke had a hand in some of that. I know it's in a club game but he's a man in form, surely he should be put in for whoever we meet next.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 68 - 23/06/2019 00:05:19    2198785

Link

Replying To GalwayLurker:  "Martin Farragher scored 3-4 this evening, Ian Burke had a hand in some of that. I know it's in a club game but he's a man in form, surely he should be put in for whoever we meet next."
Brian Silke was there. Has to start really. Comer still won't be ready.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1632 - 23/06/2019 02:49:59    2198807

Link

Replying To GalwayLurker:  "Martin Farragher scored 3-4 this evening, Ian Burke had a hand in some of that. I know it's in a club game but he's a man in form, surely he should be put in for whoever we meet next."
I was at that game this evening, I'm certain that that was Mike as Martin is in Chicago playing football for John mcbrides. As well as that, Mike has had his day in the sun and does not deserve another shot IMO.

galwayman98 (Galway) - Posts: 10 - 23/06/2019 03:00:19    2198808

Link

Replying To galwayman98:  "I was at that game this evening, I'm certain that that was Mike as Martin is in Chicago playing football for John mcbrides. As well as that, Mike has had his day in the sun and does not deserve another shot IMO."
That was Martin playing this evening, Mike is the one in America.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 68 - 23/06/2019 09:17:51    2198839

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Brian Silke was there. Has to start really. Comer still won't be ready."
He was as always, he has 3 sons playing. His presence at Corofin games made much impact on Walsh's decisions so far, can't see it starting now.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 68 - 23/06/2019 09:25:28    2198843

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "I don't have time to discuss I've a wedding to attend."
Do you, Bernard, take the number one to be your lawfully wedded geansaí?

Not this weekend, let Lavelle have it.

marooney (Galway) - Posts: 87 - 23/06/2019 10:45:59    2198878

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Power picked himself as a sub. Kevin Walsh had no act or part in it.
Some of the stuff on here is inaccurate and unfair"
You make a statement like that and follow it up by stating "some of the stuff on here is INACCURATE and UNFAIR"
Might be an idea to spend less time talking and typing and a bit more time and energy on getting your facts right.
Just a suggestion .....!

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 23/06/2019 11:12:54    2198884

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "You make a statement like that and follow it up by stating "some of the stuff on here is INACCURATE and UNFAIR"
Might be an idea to spend less time talking and typing and a bit more time and energy on getting your facts right.
Just a suggestion .....!"
Says the man who informed us that 'Power has walked'.

marooney (Galway) - Posts: 87 - 23/06/2019 14:25:07    2198964

Link

Replying To marooney:  "Says the man who informed us that 'Power has walked'."
Says the men who claim he dropped himself.....

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 25/06/2019 03:58:30    2200399

Link

I was close to the goal where Galway did their warm-up for the final. Power was in goal for most of the warm up and only changed place with Gary right at the end. Perhaps he did get a knock

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 941 - 25/06/2019 09:31:05    2200438

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "Says the men who claim he dropped himself....."
Actions have consequences.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 408 - 25/06/2019 11:05:12    2200499

Link

Any news on Flynn's injury? Good to hear Cooke had a good game at the weekend and Conroy got another game.

Roll on next Monday when we know who our opponents will be.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 25/06/2019 12:08:56    2200541

Link

ok so the power issue seems to be a discipline situation...move on and start himn the next day
saoc has been poor in my view and our much discussed defensive system doesnt seem to be protecting him all that much...only possible replacement is johnny duane but he is beeter as a free player...i would try saoc again
kerin had a very good first half and won a lot of chases for possession stood guys up and was generally sound
liam silke was solid but would be great to see him further out the field
half back line cannot have gary and brads....no turn no pace
midfield foc was doing well and was a loss, flynn not himself and the beginning of the end was in this sector. Not sure if foc is back but we miss conroys leadership and ability to be creative - i would start him
walsh apart from a couple of flashes didnt have a good day...man marker dogged him out of it
o laoi is too light and ian burke had his poorest game- really missing comer beside him which creates more space for him to play- i would go with farragher or danny instead of him with comer and ian burke to come in in the second half (not in the 67th minute)
all in all the next game is the most important of the kw tenure....a win offers us three games and a new season with players back and in some shape
have to stay positive and back the team AND management
the other challengers donegal apart have not set the world alight and dublin while efficient could be down mccarthy now as well...

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 523 - 25/06/2019 15:13:37    2200665

Link

I think the idea of Duane as a full back is pretty fanciful to be honest. He has always been a roving number 6 and isn't the tallest. Are people seriously gonna start him marking someone like Donie Kingston or Daniel Flynn if we got Kildare or Laois to name two?

Sean Andy is the best we have at the present moment, look around who is playing fullback for the best club teams in Galway at present at there are a couple of 37,38 year olds playing for two teams who made the last 4 last year (one of which is from Mayo) and not much besides. Kyne was tried there and was taken to the cleaners against Tipperary. He did a pretty admirable job as corner back since but is not a championship fullback. Cupboard is pretty bare.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 25/06/2019 16:04:17    2200705

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "I think the idea of Duane as a full back is pretty fanciful to be honest. He has always been a roving number 6 and isn't the tallest. Are people seriously gonna start him marking someone like Donie Kingston or Daniel Flynn if we got Kildare or Laois to name two?

Sean Andy is the best we have at the present moment, look around who is playing fullback for the best club teams in Galway at present at there are a couple of 37,38 year olds playing for two teams who made the last 4 last year (one of which is from Mayo) and not much besides. Kyne was tried there and was taken to the cleaners against Tipperary. He did a pretty admirable job as corner back since but is not a championship fullback. Cupboard is pretty bare."
Size matters but dont be surprised to see Sean Kelly challenging Sean Andy for that full back spot he has been playing in that position in the A v b games and playing very well.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 149 - 25/06/2019 16:22:18    2200715

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Size matters but dont be surprised to see Sean Kelly challenging Sean Andy for that full back spot he has been playing in that position in the A v b games and playing very well."
how do you know that have you been to the a v b games? i thought they were 'behind closed doors', or are you peering over the fence ;)
if you have been how is conroy going? and comer?

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 523 - 25/06/2019 22:31:41    2200972

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "how do you know that have you been to the a v b games? i thought they were 'behind closed doors', or are you peering over the fence ;)
if you have been how is conroy going? and comer?"
Your too clever,you caught me out!

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 149 - 26/06/2019 08:29:57    2201052

Link