Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To John789:  "Liam Silke didnt look like a great man marker in kenny park on Saturday!!"
Mightn't be professional but when your up 10/11 points at half time in a group that u are 90% certain to get through ,I'd say it could be hard to motivate yourself also bearing in mind a Connacht final in a few weeks

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 314 - 28/05/2019 15:39:51    2188543

Link

Will be a tough game. I'd be a lot more confident if we had a fit Comer at 14.

Hopefully we go out and attack the game from the start though. Some recent games against Roscommon we've sat back, allowed them to have the ball and given them the initiative. We did it in the first half last year and only for Shane Walsh having a stormer we might have lost that day.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1632 - 28/05/2019 15:57:54    2188548

Link

Cox, Murtagh(s), Cregg and co can more than put it up to us, there is no doubt about that. And the word is they're feeling very confident within their camp. But if we put in a serious shift and show serious hunger and leadership on our home turf, then SAOC, Kerin and Silke can be more than a match for their firepower, while we can go at them with Daly and Molloy from the half back line up, with Silke hopefully again given scope to come all the way forward too. KW shocked them in Castlebar in the CF replay in 2016 by letting our lads go at them with direct, all out attacking football. We absolutely blitzed them that day. Mayo previously did the same to them in Croker. Go at the Rossies full throttle, lateral slow build up stuff will only feed them. Hope we see Conroy for the final 15 mins and would lie to see Farragher a little earlier and maybe starting, if DC is still out.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 74 - 28/05/2019 18:47:47    2188583

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Cox, Murtagh(s), Cregg and co can more than put it up to us, there is no doubt about that. And the word is they're feeling very confident within their camp. But if we put in a serious shift and show serious hunger and leadership on our home turf, then SAOC, Kerin and Silke can be more than a match for their firepower, while we can go at them with Daly and Molloy from the half back line up, with Silke hopefully again given scope to come all the way forward too. KW shocked them in Castlebar in the CF replay in 2016 by letting our lads go at them with direct, all out attacking football. We absolutely blitzed them that day. Mayo previously did the same to them in Croker. Go at the Rossies full throttle, lateral slow build up stuff will only feed them. Hope we see Conroy for the final 15 mins and would lie to see Farragher a little earlier and maybe starting, if DC is still out."
Is danny cummins injured?

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 336 - 28/05/2019 21:11:21    2188629

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Is danny cummins injured?"
Played very well for ClareGalway against Tuam so I don't think so. He didn't come off or anything.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 412 - 28/05/2019 22:09:49    2188660

Link

I definitely would've feared the Rossies more than Mayo even prior to last weekend. A freak replay defeat aside they've caused serious issues in championship in the last 3 years, despite always missing 5 or 6 key players.

That fantastic result in McHale last Saturday and memories of 2017 will mean they will be dieing for a go at Galway. Both Sligo Murphy's showed that running at our backs centrally is still a big weak spot.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 167 - 28/05/2019 22:17:37    2188663

Link

Replying To Diabhal:  "I definitely would've feared the Rossies more than Mayo even prior to last weekend. A freak replay defeat aside they've caused serious issues in championship in the last 3 years, despite always missing 5 or 6 key players.

That fantastic result in McHale last Saturday and memories of 2017 will mean they will be dieing for a go at Galway. Both Sligo Murphy's showed that running at our backs centrally is still a big weak spot."
Nail on the head. The Rossies will be feeding off the notion that Mayo and Galway both look down on them and will show up all guns blazing like they did in the not too distant past. If we go into this game with anything like the attitude we had last time, it could be a very bad day at the office.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2706 - 29/05/2019 06:29:31    2188705

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Is danny cummins injured?"
...meant Damien Comer injured rather than Danny. Could see how DC might be confusing alright!

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 74 - 29/05/2019 08:56:04    2188719

Link

Rossies/Anthony Cunningham's tactics seem to be primarily about forcing opposition into low percentage shots from daft positions, coupled with a new physicality this year and plus usual intensity they'll always show v Galway. We have to be smarter than low percentage stuff, putting major pressure on Killoran and O'Rourke in midfield, and going at Hussey and Mulooly in the defensive spine. Niall Daly will have to be checked from going forward otherwise he'll end up in their link up play everywhere, we'll need legs for him or better still to keep him busy defending.
Roscommon aren't in their (I think) 4th Connacht Final in a row for nothing. They're coming for this one with Cunningham instilling massive confidence in them. KW and the lads will have to be fully wired for this! It'll be lively...

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 74 - 29/05/2019 09:17:05    2188723

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Yeah sure start Martin Farragher after his 2 minute cameo v Sligo when the game was over against Roscommon in the Connacht Final !

LOL some lads really are living in cuckoo land."
2 mins and scored 1-01 from only one and a half chances. He is also scoring well in challenge games, but I'm sure you knew that already. SMH

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 58 - 29/05/2019 09:44:59    2188736

Link

Replying To whoop_hero:  "2 mins and scored 1-01 from only one and a half chances. He is also scoring well in challenge games, but I'm sure you knew that already. SMH"
Your spot on there, farragher and rob finnerty have been the stand out performers in training and challenge games.if Sean Kelly is fit dont be surprised to see him start somewhere in the backline.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 149 - 29/05/2019 22:17:36    2188975

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Your spot on there, farragher and rob finnerty have been the stand out performers in training and challenge games.if Sean Kelly is fit dont be surprised to see him start somewhere in the backline."
I don't think Finnerty will make it hasn't pushed on since minor level and didn't score against London or Sligo but he is still young I suppose. If Kelly is fit would defintley start him ahead of Bradshaw his pace will be needed against the rossies!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 336 - 30/05/2019 08:49:04    2189005

Link

He's 20 and played about 7 or 8 minutes against Sligo in all fairness.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 225 - 30/05/2019 12:09:26    2189069

Link

I saw Comer kicking a few wides in the warmup before they played Claregalway on Saturday. Be nice to have himself, IB and Danny in FF line. Conroy could come in for the last 10 minutes also as he makes his way back from injury. HF line of Daly, Walsh and AN Other.

Provided we put the shackles on Cox and dont defended dreadfully on the day - should make it out of the stadium with another Connacht Title in the back pocket.

Although with the winner of Connacht guaranteed to be in the same Super 8's group as Dublin, maybe it wouldn't be a disaster if we lost !

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 158 - 30/05/2019 12:19:14    2189074

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "I saw Comer kicking a few wides in the warmup before they played Claregalway on Saturday. Be nice to have himself, IB and Danny in FF line. Conroy could come in for the last 10 minutes also as he makes his way back from injury. HF line of Daly, Walsh and AN Other.

Provided we put the shackles on Cox and dont defended dreadfully on the day - should make it out of the stadium with another Connacht Title in the back pocket.

Although with the winner of Connacht guaranteed to be in the same Super 8's group as Dublin, maybe it wouldn't be a disaster if we lost !"
An Other?? Eh..... Johnny Heaney??

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 647 - 30/05/2019 13:21:16    2189092

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "I saw Comer kicking a few wides in the warmup before they played Claregalway on Saturday. Be nice to have himself, IB and Danny in FF line. Conroy could come in for the last 10 minutes also as he makes his way back from injury. HF line of Daly, Walsh and AN Other.

Although with the winner of Connacht guaranteed to be in the same Super 8's group as Dublin, maybe it wouldn't be a disaster if we lost !"
Well it's either that or be in the same group as Kerry and Tyrone so I think I will stick with the Dubs will be better 2 play against one heavyweight instead of 2.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 336 - 30/05/2019 13:51:49    2189105

Link

Breaking news on Irish Independent Damien Comer says he won't be fit for Connacht final!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 336 - 30/05/2019 13:53:54    2189106

Link

The Connacht final probably won't be much of a spectacle for football fans.
The Rossies are using the same tactics we did last year ie packing the middle of the field , sucking their opponents half backs up the field and leaving space for their 3 attackers.
We will probably be cuter than Mayo were in countering these tactics but it won't be pretty, especially if it's another windy day in the Stadium .

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 30/05/2019 14:42:37    2189120

Link

No.We are in a provincial final.We have to go out to win it.
The more we play the Dubs the better.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 30/05/2019 14:44:39    2189122

Link

Would personally rather be in with the dubs in the super 8s. Each game against them more and more will be learned and if we have any aspirations of competing for sam we need to be playing them in big championship games. Be good for the players to get used to playing them.

Shame comer won t Be available at all. Hopefully we get the win and he's fit and ready for the super 8s. Still optimistic about the summer ahead and here's hoping we can go a step further than last year and contact an AI final at least.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 30/05/2019 15:23:37    2189129

Link