Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Honestly, when KW put Lavelle ahead of Power and started GOD and Bradshaw on same line, I was really perplexed. They are all great lads but KW got it wrong. I would like to see Heaney as a wing back to give us more penetration. I always felt that whoever lost the Connacht Final had slim hopes of extending the Summer, so expectations will be low but that might work in out favour.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1218 - 20/06/2019 10:49:30    2197865

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "Honestly, when KW put Lavelle ahead of Power and started GOD and Bradshaw on same line, I was really perplexed. They are all great lads but KW got it wrong. I would like to see Heaney as a wing back to give us more penetration. I always felt that whoever lost the Connacht Final had slim hopes of extending the Summer, so expectations will be low but that might work in out favour."
Power picked himself as a sub. Kevin Walsh had no act or part in it.
Some of the stuff on here is inaccurate and unfair

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 269 - 20/06/2019 11:26:32    2197886

Link

Adrian Varley should be starting too, himself and Ian Burke were like the terrible twins in 2013 when they won the U21 All Ireland.... they were unreal...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 165 - 20/06/2019 11:49:58    2197895

Link

Had watch of the game last night, anyone else looked back so far?

Its very clear there was something wrong with Flynn, don't want to be too harsh on him because he should have been taken off but he was very poor He was at fault for over half of their scores from play.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 20/06/2019 12:00:01    2197900

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Adrian Varley should be starting too, himself and Ian Burke were like the terrible twins in 2013 when they won the U21 All Ireland.... they were unreal..."
They were the terrible twins last Sunday as well ...in the wrong way

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 269 - 20/06/2019 12:02:46    2197904

Link

Adrian Varley shouldn't even be on the panel on all known form.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 428 - 20/06/2019 12:34:48    2197922

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Power picked himself as a sub. Kevin Walsh had no act or part in it.
Some of the stuff on here is inaccurate and unfair"
Heard something similar this am but not in a position yet to confirm- I think Kevin made mistakes and to me one of his biggest weakness is slowness to act on the line but he wasn't playing and it would appear that there was lack of leaders on the pitch -Was away so could only watch on tv and hard to judge a game from tv so all we can do is regroup and move on.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 314 - 20/06/2019 12:39:58    2197927

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Very good and accurate post. He still is young so vital we persist."
You don't need to persist with someone to develop them. Sometimes the best thing to do is take them out of the firing line. Sir Alex did that with De Gea when he struggled as a young guy. I would not be confident he can do well on a half decent full forward in the qualifiers on all known form.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 837 - 20/06/2019 12:59:13    2197938

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "You don't need to persist with someone to develop them. Sometimes the best thing to do is take them out of the firing line. Sir Alex did that with De Gea when he struggled as a young guy. I would not be confident he can do well on a half decent full forward in the qualifiers on all known form."
Yes but if you are too discard everyone in their 2nd season very short sighted. Just my opinion.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 20/06/2019 13:27:53    2197952

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Adrian Varley should be starting too, himself and Ian Burke were like the terrible twins in 2013 when they won the U21 All Ireland.... they were unreal..."
Ah stop are you serious ? Did you see when he came on the last day ? Missed an easy point from about 21 yards out that anyone never mind Daly would get and then had a second poor shot but it dropped in and John Daly nearly got a fist to it !
If them 2 pints went over it could of made a differende

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 58 - 20/06/2019 13:39:08    2197958

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Yes but if you are too discard everyone in their 2nd season very short sighted. Just my opinion."
Dropping him for one or two games isn;t discarding. He think shes our no. 1 full back for the next decade. Lets see how he reacts to being no 24. If hes good enough he'll play his way onto the team. I rem Richie Fahey used to get dropped the whole time (in error in my view) yet came through to have a fine Galway career.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 837 - 20/06/2019 13:45:29    2197961

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Ah stop are you serious ? Did you see when he came on the last day ? Missed an easy point from about 21 yards out that anyone never mind Daly would get and then had a second poor shot but it dropped in and John Daly nearly got a fist to it !
If them 2 pints went over it could of made a differende"
To be fair he hasn't kicked a ball in a long time and is bound to be a bit rusty but yes they were poor misses although I think the 2nd one was deliberate. Varley or Farragher will start the next day but my money would be on Varley as he's more physical and is well able to throw his weight around which Kevin Walsh likes.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 20/06/2019 15:03:06    2198003

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Adrian Varley shouldn't even be on the panel on all known form."
He absolutely should be on the panel

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 877 - 20/06/2019 19:40:55    2198099

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Had watch of the game last night, anyone else looked back so far?

Its very clear there was something wrong with Flynn, don't want to be too harsh on him because he should have been taken off but he was very poor He was at fault for over half of their scores from play."
Flynn was injured then you had foc go off injured and peter cooke not match fit so flynn had to struggle through the game. The power issue is another story but kw cant be blamed for that. Ian burke had a awful game cant see why people wanted him left on kw should not have started him in my opinion hes too small in them conditions hard to believe he is 27. Kw was slow to make changes trusted the players on the field to turn it around and the let him down.All the top teams are getting knocked out i think they are trying to time a run for the super 8s

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 365 - 20/06/2019 23:54:41    2198176

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Flynn was injured then you had foc go off injured and peter cooke not match fit so flynn had to struggle through the game. The power issue is another story but kw cant be blamed for that. Ian burke had a awful game cant see why people wanted him left on kw should not have started him in my opinion hes too small in them conditions hard to believe he is 27. Kw was slow to make changes trusted the players on the field to turn it around and the let him down.All the top teams are getting knocked out i think they are trying to time a run for the super 8s"
Burke 26 sometime this, he was still u21 in 2014 as far as I can remember. He was very poor by his standards but did get out in front and got to the ball but his handling really let him down, those gloves he wore did nothing for him. I agree he should have been replaced a lot earlier especially as he spent most of the 2nd half in his own half which was ridiculous. Its not like he didn't have options on the bench, Cummins was an unused subs and Farragher is more than capable.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 21/06/2019 12:29:47    2198266

Link

@Belclare-Do you think Leonard is good enough to be involved?

It took Walsh a few years to work out how good Ian Burke is then you look at the way Cox wasn't given a chance by Kerry and he's probably been the standout player of the championship so far. Martin Farragher is another one, he looks a far better player then he did 2 years ago.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 21/06/2019 12:43:50    2198268

Link

What's with all the innuendo surrounding Power? Either spit it out or stop spreading rumours.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 68 - 21/06/2019 19:31:12    2198398

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Power picked himself as a sub. Kevin Walsh had no act or part in it.
Some of the stuff on here is inaccurate and unfair"
Elaborate on this point. What do mean that he picked himself as sub ?

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 21/06/2019 21:02:54    2198417

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Elaborate on this point. What do mean that he picked himself as sub ?"
I don't have time to discuss I've a wedding to attend.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 408 - 22/06/2019 12:44:29    2198546

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "I don't have time to discuss I've a wedding to attend."
If I was a detective I'd say the is a clue there somewhere:-)

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 965 - 22/06/2019 17:30:31    2198619

Link