Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To kiloughter:  "I agree on changes but Wynne far from convincing anytime I have seen him. Remember these are the two corner backs against Tipp in 2016. As on another thread would stick with Kerin. Would be of the view that Conroy if fit should have role the next day and would start McDaid."
Yeah I forgot about McDaid. Put him in at 7 and put Silke into the corner.

Its no wonder we are playing badly. We have no settled keeper, a full back who can;t tackle, chopping and changing centre back, 1 consistently selected midfielder and our full forward is injured...

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 840 - 19/06/2019 15:42:45    2197628

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Would agree it wasn't so straight forward as Lavelle has done well and improved his kickouts year on year since he came on but I'd imagine he won't start the next day after that performance. He didn't do very well on the goal either, he went to ground too early.

Power didn't have a great game against Tipp in 2016 but i'd put a lot of that down to how unorganised Galway were 3 years ago. Power has improved since then from what I've seen of him, his kicking for Corofin on the big day has been fantastic."
The competition for the no1 jersey is probably closer than any other. I didn't see any issue with lavelle being picked but as he and power were very much neck and neck until sunday I cant see power not starting the next day

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 880 - 19/06/2019 15:49:17    2197633

Link

Keeper is an easy scapegoat. I'd agree he hasn't been great this year and Power deserves a chance the next day. But lets be honest, the team melted down from 1 to 15 for 40 minutes of the second half and management watched it happen. Plenty of lads who are darlings of a lot of fans on these boards had very poor games.

What i would say is KW needs to stop this dummy team nonsense. It puts needless pressure on the goalie. He has picked Lavelle for 90% of games over the past 3 seasons, he knew last week he was picking him for this game so the "We had to put a team into the programme on wednesday and only picked the team on friday" reason doesn't wash. When it comes to the match then It then makes it look like its a "late change" as if the goalies were swapped 2 minutes before the parade and makes a big issue out of it completely needlessly. Fair enough if you are playing 6'2 bear on the square Damien Comer and you want to fox the opposition by listing nippy corner forward Danny Cummins to start i can see some logic in that, but when its a goalie at the end of the day come on.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 19/06/2019 16:27:35    2197652

Link

Power, Conroy and McDaid must all start next day.
Would seriously consider starting Duane at full back, can only give Sean so many chances.

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 72 - 19/06/2019 16:27:50    2197653

Link

Replying To cavan.galway:  "Power, Conroy and McDaid must all start next day.
Would seriously consider starting Duane at full back, can only give Sean so many chances."
Would agree with that plus a few more - Duane, Wynne, Molloy, Conroy, McDaid, Kelly, Comer (if fit) and Farragher have to start the next day in place of SAOC, Kerin, GOD, Flynn, Cooke, Heaney, Burke and O'Laoi in that order. There has to be consequences for players who are consistently underperforming in a Galway shirt so Walsh needs to be ruthless, stop the negative tactics now and let these good players finally express themselves.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 19/06/2019 17:17:47    2197677

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Would agree with that plus a few more - Duane, Wynne, Molloy, Conroy, McDaid, Kelly, Comer (if fit) and Farragher have to start the next day in place of SAOC, Kerin, GOD, Flynn, Cooke, Heaney, Burke and O'Laoi in that order. There has to be consequences for players who are consistently underperforming in a Galway shirt so Walsh needs to be ruthless, stop the negative tactics now and let these good players finally express themselves."
Sorry forgot to include Power instead of Lavelle!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 19/06/2019 17:25:47    2197679

Link

Replying To JDF:  "The free at the very end was Sean Andy not Kerin. Sean Andy gave away 3 out of the 4 frees that they scored from.

Sean Andy was directly responsible for another 1-2 from play with Cox getting the 2 scores of him either side of half time and then Murtagh scoring the goal off him.

So in the whole game our corner back didn't concede any points from play and gave away one scoring free which was more GOD's fault, was always going to be difficult for Kerin to stop him without stopping him.

Kerin had an excellent game, its ridiculous that fella's think he should be dropped after that performance."
In fairness I am not solely judging him on the free you allege SA gave away but if you look back it was actually Kerin who fouled him at the Prairie end in the Arus Bothar na Tra corner. No need and rash. I would not drop him but he needs to be more measured in his tackling.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 19/06/2019 18:03:35    2197693

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "In fairness I am not solely judging him on the free you allege SA gave away but if you look back it was actually Kerin who fouled him at the Prairie end in the Arus Bothar na Tra corner. No need and rash. I would not drop him but he needs to be more measured in his tackling."
Kerin is a great footballer but I do just sit their and wait for him to get a card and hope it's not red. Hes been on the panel long enough that he should know better

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 880 - 19/06/2019 18:28:31    2197702

Link

One thing were overlooking here when we talk about the keepers
that is when the goalie kicks the ball youre depending on the outfield players
to be making the run looking for the ball making them selves available
now its not just down to the goalie there was fault on all sides here I think

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 999 - 19/06/2019 18:31:55    2197704

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Keeper is an easy scapegoat. I'd agree he hasn't been great this year and Power deserves a chance the next day. But lets be honest, the team melted down from 1 to 15 for 40 minutes of the second half and management watched it happen. Plenty of lads who are darlings of a lot of fans on these boards had very poor games.

What i would say is KW needs to stop this dummy team nonsense. It puts needless pressure on the goalie. He has picked Lavelle for 90% of games over the past 3 seasons, he knew last week he was picking him for this game so the "We had to put a team into the programme on wednesday and only picked the team on friday" reason doesn't wash. When it comes to the match then It then makes it look like its a "late change" as if the goalies were swapped 2 minutes before the parade and makes a big issue out of it completely needlessly. Fair enough if you are playing 6'2 bear on the square Damien Comer and you want to fox the opposition by listing nippy corner forward Danny Cummins to start i can see some logic in that, but when its a goalie at the end of the day come on."
Power was dropped a good reason apparently, unrelated to footballing abilities

Mickhiggins (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 19/06/2019 18:36:01    2197707

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "Power was dropped a good reason apparently, unrelated to footballing abilities"
Well I alluded to it but didn't want to come straight out with it, anyway time to move on I would say.

Damien Sheridan is the goalkeeping coach. I'd be blaming him for the keeper situation. What's he doing with them 3 or 4 nights a week.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 19/06/2019 20:35:33    2197735

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "One thing were overlooking here when we talk about the keepers
that is when the goalie kicks the ball youre depending on the outfield players
to be making the run looking for the ball making them selves available
now its not just down to the goalie there was fault on all sides here I think"
Fair point although Lavelle hesitates too much. At one point in the 2nd half Shane Walsh I think it was clearly pointed to a colleague for Lavelle to aim to who was free at the time. Lavelle either did not pick up on it or hesitated. Either way opportunity was gone and he went short. This might be nitpicking but reflective of his kick out strategy. London was actually worse where he went short far too often. Power much better option on kick outs and nothing really between them on all other things like shot stopping etc.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 19/06/2019 20:59:01    2197749

Link

I haven't seen much discussion on the new coach kevin strich that was brought in
now from what I can see galway have regressed big time
Its hard to recall many good performances this year
theres no doubt since paddy tally left our defensive set up is brutal
we should be defending as a team not individuals
that is there shouldn't be huge spaces in our back line
as Roscommon exploited to the max the last day
where were the back up to those defenders
there seemed to be no cover to the full back line
it was amazing to see Roscommon score a goal from the left hand of the pitch
it was the same move they used v mayo with the same player involved making the run cathal cregg
surely we should have been aware of this
but no there was no cover there was no one running back to intercept their attackers either
and then to make it worse we cant seem to get any momentum or attack movement going
the warning signs were there in the league too some results papered over the cracks

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 999 - 19/06/2019 21:57:34    2197775

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Fair point although Lavelle hesitates too much. At one point in the 2nd half Shane Walsh I think it was clearly pointed to a colleague for Lavelle to aim to who was free at the time. Lavelle either did not pick up on it or hesitated. Either way opportunity was gone and he went short. This might be nitpicking but reflective of his kick out strategy. London was actually worse where he went short far too often. Power much better option on kick outs and nothing really between them on all other things like shot stopping etc."
This is gonna sound very harsh but I think Lavelle cost us the game the last day. A lot of his kickouts lead 2 Roscommon turnovers reminded me of his performance against Mayo in 2017.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 336 - 19/06/2019 22:08:35    2197778

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Fair point although Lavelle hesitates too much. At one point in the 2nd half Shane Walsh I think it was clearly pointed to a colleague for Lavelle to aim to who was free at the time. Lavelle either did not pick up on it or hesitated. Either way opportunity was gone and he went short. This might be nitpicking but reflective of his kick out strategy. London was actually worse where he went short far too often. Power much better option on kick outs and nothing really between them on all other things like shot stopping etc."
Naming Power and then starting Lavelle put him under huge pressure from the start. It was unfair on lavelle and I'm sure soul destroying for Power. There were no winners and It backfired. Power's kickouts are better but both men are good shot stoppers.

We have problems on every line. There has to be big changes or we will be out.

Power has to start the next day.

Our full back line has its problems . On reflection I'd go with Kyne at right back now, Silke at full back as Sean Andy is struggling now and I'd stick with kerin even though he gets involved in too much niggly stuff for my liking.

Molloy has to start now at 5, Btadshaw at 6 and I'd go with Daly at 7.

If Duggan is fit I'd start him at midfield beside Flynn. Duggan has a big engine and will drive forward and take a score.

The half forward line should be Daly, Walsh and Mcdaid. Walsh should be told to stay on the 40 and not to drift back. Mcdaid has the engine to do what Heaney was supposed to do and he'll get you scores. Heaney is a wing back and not a wing forward. He has had 3 quiet games on the trot and we need to shake things up.

Up front I'd go with O laoi and Burke in each corner and farragher at 14. Burke should be told to play his natural game and try and take on more point scoring chances as opposed to off loading the ball. O laoi can do likewise.

Farragher should stay on the edge of the square. He's very strong and is more than capable of winning the long 50/50 ball into the square. If he gets on the ball, he'll go direct for goal. He doesn't do the lateral stuff. He deserves his chance now.

P Joyce questioned the desire of the players to battle and use their own initiative. Keeping 4 up front is key and giving it 100% at all times. KW can't take all the blame for last Sunday's collapse. About 7 or 8 of the lads went missing when they were faced with adversity after the goal went in. Hunger and desire to win is down to individual players. They need to stand up and really go for it. They owe that much to the supporters and to KW who has brought them this far.

Our zonal defensive system has to be changed. It's one thing bringing men back behind the ball.but the sight of our players standing off their men is sickening. Players cough up possession when they are tackled, chased down and put under pressure. That's a basic principle of gaelic football and in particular defending. There's also another word for it. It's called Hard Work and there's no substitute for that.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 19/06/2019 23:07:37    2197794

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "Power was dropped a good reason apparently, unrelated to footballing abilities"
True

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 378 - 20/06/2019 01:38:12    2197811

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Kerin had a good match the last day although his antics are getting a bit much at this stage. Even for his own supporters.

Sean Andy had all the attributes you'd want in a full back. Big, strong and relatively mobile on his feet. Unfortunately he's making a lot of bad decisions at the moment. There was no goal on for Roscommon the last day until he decided to move away from Murtagh and move towards Cregg even though Bradshaw was already tracking Cregg, Easy to forget though that Sean Andy is still very young for an intercounty full-back. He has to start learning quickly though as he's making some very basic defensive errors."
Sean Andy is living off one good game - AI u-21 v Dublin. That game suited him, as Dublin kept driving in aimless high ball - they were well in control anyway. Fast forward and he has been exposed as devoid of positional sense; reckless in tackling; lose marking

Really (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 20/06/2019 01:59:10    2197813

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "True"
Slight difference of opinion

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 365 - 20/06/2019 08:52:14    2197828

Link

Replying To Really:  "Sean Andy is living off one good game - AI u-21 v Dublin. That game suited him, as Dublin kept driving in aimless high ball - they were well in control anyway. Fast forward and he has been exposed as devoid of positional sense; reckless in tackling; lose marking"
He was also excellent in that year's semi-final against Kerry, so that's slightly unfair. He physically dominated a number of the Kerry forwards that day and the fact that he did so well on O'Callaghan in the final, has us excited.
He has the physical attributes to be a good full-back, but his reading of the game and temperament have been lacking on a number of occasions at senior level. He seems to focus more on the eye-catching part of the game, rather than the bread and butter of a full-back. What we need is a steady, safe presence so I'm hoping he'll learn.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 539 - 20/06/2019 09:01:00    2197830

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "He was also excellent in that year's semi-final against Kerry, so that's slightly unfair. He physically dominated a number of the Kerry forwards that day and the fact that he did so well on O'Callaghan in the final, has us excited.
He has the physical attributes to be a good full-back, but his reading of the game and temperament have been lacking on a number of occasions at senior level. He seems to focus more on the eye-catching part of the game, rather than the bread and butter of a full-back. What we need is a steady, safe presence so I'm hoping he'll learn."
Very good and accurate post. He still is young so vital we persist.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 20/06/2019 10:03:56    2197851

Link