Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Steede is a very good footballer, but to be saying he's on a different level to all of our current county midfielders is fantasy. He has struggled against good club midfielders. In the All-Ireland semi against Crokes in Limerick a couple of years ago, he was absolutely bullied by Ambrose O'Donovan, who himself wasn't intercounty standard in Kerry.
If he was to play intercounty, I actually don't think his best position would be midfield. Likewise, Daithí Burke who as someone mentioned, could be a good centre-back.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 539 - 18/06/2019 23:51:23    2197397

Link

Replying To Rayo1:  "Irregular in-play betting patterns reported at half time........think about it folks."
Reported where? Some links please. Unless you're confusing unconfirmed gossip with actual reports. Either way I'd love to hear your sources.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2712 - 19/06/2019 00:38:18    2197401

Link

Replying To Fewpucks24:  "Most people wouldn't agree with Steede and Burke being different gravy compared to the other 4 midfielders that actually play for Galway seniors but we'll have to agree to disagree. See you at the FBD league ! Hopefully you'll be lining out for it again"
That's fair enough. We'll agree to disagree. I see Martin Brehony on the Irish indo is calling for Daithi to be called in. He says it could be 'a master stroke'. I didn't know Daithi got the MOTM award on Tg4 as I was at the match. When I got home I watched the Sunday GAME where Molloy got it. I hope that clears up the issue. Ps forget about the FBD, I'll see you at the round 4 qualifier.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 19/06/2019 10:14:57    2197464

Link

Replying To cavan.galway:  "that's fine and your entitled to your opinion but you have changed your tune. first you say Not one of them would make the corofin midfield. Now your saying its because there injured or coming back from one that burke would strengthen. which is it?
first post was disrespectful to them lads who have given there all to there county, thats just in my opinion"
Well said.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 19/06/2019 10:49:06    2197484

Link

Burke has no intention of going anywhere near there.. in fact himself and a few hurlers are off to London for the weekend.. Martin Brehony another nothing article..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 365 - 19/06/2019 10:56:41    2197491

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Steede is a very good footballer, but to be saying he's on a different level to all of our current county midfielders is fantasy. He has struggled against good club midfielders. In the All-Ireland semi against Crokes in Limerick a couple of years ago, he was absolutely bullied by Ambrose O'Donovan, who himself wasn't intercounty standard in Kerry.
If he was to play intercounty, I actually don't think his best position would be midfield. Likewise, Daithí Burke who as someone mentioned, could be a good centre-back."
Correct, could probably have done with him on Sunday given how many injuries we have in midfield but the reality is that he's at best the 6th best midfielder in the county. Barry Moran always gave him the runaround too,

I think Daithi would be a great centre back but the lad needs a rest and I don't think it would be great on team morale if he was brought in either.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 19/06/2019 11:14:57    2197500

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Power.
Kyne.
Sean Andy.
Liam Silke.
Molloy.
John Daly.
Mc Daid.
Flynn.
Conroy.
Daly.
Walsh.
Kelly.
Farragher.
Comer.
Burke.
Start that team and we may have a chance.."
Out of interest why not Kerin?

He's getting far too much stick from several posters on here, he played well on Sunday. Sean Andy was the problem in the full back line. Kerin marked Murtagh who's only scores from play came when Sean Andy & FOC picked him up.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 19/06/2019 11:20:02    2197502

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I was ridiculed here for not really rating Flynn as a leader or a midfielder for that matter. He has no drive and disappears when the going gets tough - yesterday was a prime example of that. In fairness to FOC (who I have rated as a very solid no nonsense midfielder in the past) was a big loss when he had to depart as he had been doing very well and kicked a great point. I also know Flynn wasn't the only one that went "missing" in the second half as there was no excusing that collapse and the management were clueless on the sideline with no plan B and only bringing on Farragher (a player that could have done damage with the right ball) with 2 minutes to go! I have been very disappointed with Ian Burke this year - he seems to have regressed a lot from last year and was even quite poor for Corofin. We badly needed a Gary Sice type player yesterday that could get on the ball and make things happen like I have mentioned here before. Shane Walsh is the closest we have to that type of player but he gets flustered / panics when he feels he has too much to do without much support and the slow, ponderous, negative build up play (giving time for the opposition to get their defences set) that Kevin Walsh loves is just killing his natural, attacking footballing instinct along with several other talented players in this squad. I think Kevin Walsh definitely has to walk after that shambles."
Flynn was injured and shouldn't have played, the man that picked him and managed to keep him on for the whole match deserves a lot of criticism.

Galway had a good bench and it should have been used a lot earlier, just another in the long line of things Walsh got wrong Sunday.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 19/06/2019 11:26:15    2197507

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Out of interest why not Kerin?

He's getting far too much stick from several posters on here, he played well on Sunday. Sean Andy was the problem in the full back line. Kerin marked Murtagh who's only scores from play came when Sean Andy & FOC picked him up."
If Kerin concentrated on playing ball and stopped the sh*tehawking then maybe, but he gets involved in so much off the ball stuff, which riles his opponent up more , Murtagh quietened him big time in the second half, ( hence the goal celebrating) and then his head was gone and gave away ridiculous frees resulting in scores. His distribution out of defense is also very poor.

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 365 - 19/06/2019 12:14:16    2197523

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "If Kerin concentrated on playing ball and stopped the sh*tehawking then maybe, but he gets involved in so much off the ball stuff, which riles his opponent up more , Murtagh quietened him big time in the second half, ( hence the goal celebrating) and then his head was gone and gave away ridiculous frees resulting in scores. His distribution out of defense is also very poor."
He does his primary job very well, a lot better than Sean Andy. He kept Murtagh quiet all game, Murtagh's goal only came when Sean Andy switched onto him, Murtgah's point in the first half came of FOC.

Which frees? There was one and it wasn't his fault, think it was GOD who didn't track him back.

There wouldn't be many corner backs I'd swap for Kerin.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 19/06/2019 12:45:08    2197546

Link

Changes needed and brave calls required. Plenty of guys such as our full back are playing off reputation.
1. Power (nothing needs to be said here)
2. Kerin
3. Duane (change needed here big time)
4. Wynne
5. Molloy
6. Daly
7. Silke
8. Flynn (if fit)
9. Duggan (if fit)
10. Walsh
11. Daly
12. O' Laoi (much more needed, Heaney is not performing)
13. Cummins
14. Farragher (a presence and good footballer)
15. Burke (way more needed)

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 840 - 19/06/2019 12:58:03    2197553

Link

Replying To JDF:  "He does his primary job very well, a lot better than Sean Andy. He kept Murtagh quiet all game, Murtagh's goal only came when Sean Andy switched onto him, Murtgah's point in the first half came of FOC.

Which frees? There was one and it wasn't his fault, think it was GOD who didn't track him back.

There wouldn't be many corner backs I'd swap for Kerin."
The free at the end. Stupid stuff really. Should have shadowed his marker better rather than straight in as there was still a fleeting chance that we could snatch a draw with even just points. I think he is a good player but refs are onto him and needs to concentrate more on the ball rather than his marker.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 19/06/2019 13:17:53    2197562

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Changes needed and brave calls required. Plenty of guys such as our full back are playing off reputation.
1. Power (nothing needs to be said here)
2. Kerin
3. Duane (change needed here big time)
4. Wynne
5. Molloy
6. Daly
7. Silke
8. Flynn (if fit)
9. Duggan (if fit)
10. Walsh
11. Daly
12. O' Laoi (much more needed, Heaney is not performing)
13. Cummins
14. Farragher (a presence and good footballer)
15. Burke (way more needed)"
I agree on changes but Wynne far from convincing anytime I have seen him. Remember these are the two corner backs against Tipp in 2016. As on another thread would stick with Kerin. Would be of the view that Conroy if fit should have role the next day and would start McDaid.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 19/06/2019 13:20:45    2197566

Link

Replying To JDF:  "He does his primary job very well, a lot better than Sean Andy. He kept Murtagh quiet all game, Murtagh's goal only came when Sean Andy switched onto him, Murtgah's point in the first half came of FOC.

There wouldn't be many corner backs I'd swap for Kerin."
The free where he closelightened the forward in front of goal .

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 365 - 19/06/2019 13:33:32    2197575

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "The free at the end. Stupid stuff really. Should have shadowed his marker better rather than straight in as there was still a fleeting chance that we could snatch a draw with even just points. I think he is a good player but refs are onto him and needs to concentrate more on the ball rather than his marker."
The free at the very end was Sean Andy not Kerin. Sean Andy gave away 3 out of the 4 frees that they scored from.

Sean Andy was directly responsible for another 1-2 from play with Cox getting the 2 scores of him either side of half time and then Murtagh scoring the goal off him.

So in the whole game our corner back didn't concede any points from play and gave away one scoring free which was more GOD's fault, was always going to be difficult for Kerin to stop him without stopping him.

Kerin had an excellent game, its ridiculous that fella's think he should be dropped after that performance.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 19/06/2019 14:20:17    2197596

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "The free where he closelightened the forward in front of goal ."
You're been very harsh on a corner back if that is all that he did wrong last Sunday especially given the game Sean Andy had.

Whats the deal with Dylan Wall, I know he's injured but would he be in if he wasn't or had he declined the invite?
I really like Wall, think he offers something different to a lot of the other Galway defenders and is an excellent man marker whilst still been very talented on the ball.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 19/06/2019 14:33:10    2197602

Link

Just remember lads, Kevin Walsh picked Bernard Power against Mayo in Castlebar in 2016 when he was a sub with his club and on the Galway junior panel. He had a stinker against Tipp(pace off his line/high ball), management looked at other options. The reasons for him not starting(notice I didn't use the word dropped), may not be as straight forward as people think.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 19/06/2019 14:41:59    2197607

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Just remember lads, Kevin Walsh picked Bernard Power against Mayo in Castlebar in 2016 when he was a sub with his club and on the Galway junior panel. He had a stinker against Tipp(pace off his line/high ball), management looked at other options. The reasons for him not starting(notice I didn't use the word dropped), may not be as straight forward as people think."
Would agree it wasn't so straight forward as Lavelle has done well and improved his kickouts year on year since he came on but I'd imagine he won't start the next day after that performance. He didn't do very well on the goal either, he went to ground too early.

Power didn't have a great game against Tipp in 2016 but i'd put a lot of that down to how unorganised Galway were 3 years ago. Power has improved since then from what I've seen of him, his kicking for Corofin on the big day has been fantastic.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 19/06/2019 15:02:37    2197618

Link

Replying To JDF:  "You're been very harsh on a corner back if that is all that he did wrong last Sunday especially given the game Sean Andy had.

Whats the deal with Dylan Wall, I know he's injured but would he be in if he wasn't or had he declined the invite?
I really like Wall, think he offers something different to a lot of the other Galway defenders and is an excellent man marker whilst still been very talented on the ball."
That was the main one, and was unforgivable at that important stage, there were more, and also he was quite poor against London and Sligo..
Dylan has had injury problems, and because of that and the manager's absolute unwillingness to try other options I'd say he has lost faith..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 365 - 19/06/2019 15:05:50    2197619

Link

Kerin had a good match the last day although his antics are getting a bit much at this stage. Even for his own supporters.

Sean Andy had all the attributes you'd want in a full back. Big, strong and relatively mobile on his feet. Unfortunately he's making a lot of bad decisions at the moment. There was no goal on for Roscommon the last day until he decided to move away from Murtagh and move towards Cregg even though Bradshaw was already tracking Cregg, Easy to forget though that Sean Andy is still very young for an intercounty full-back. He has to start learning quickly though as he's making some very basic defensive errors.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1633 - 19/06/2019 15:32:06    2197625

Link