Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Third year in a row the team has frozen like a deer in headlights in a championship game; there's clearly something afoot there that needs to be seriously looked at and without being in the panel it's impossible to say if it lies with the players, the management or both. They had that game won by half time; the match tracker on Hoganstand was describing Roscommon as a "beaten docket" going in at the break. The mind boggles.

As an aside, it's interesting to see that the few posters most vehemently calling for KW's head are mostly first time posters. Wonder where they're coming out of all of a sudden...

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2712 - 18/06/2019 03:55:13    2196905

Link

Replying To Mayfair:  "I wouldn't run down cricket! Very skillful, and exciting when trying to chase down a big lead.
Over 1 billion people worldwide watched India v Pakistan today on tv. Even though it was interrupted by rain I bet they thought it exciting!
That's not to argue the point about football getting more boring!!"
very good point you make, pity there isn't more on these threads with your wisdom.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 248 - 18/06/2019 07:29:11    2196916

Link

Replying To Mickhiggins:  "I used to post on here quite a bit some years back but stopped. I think now is a good time to add my two cents again. We have great squad of lads... but no men. No one willing to dig in when the going gets tough. Yes mgmt were crap on Sunday and their race is run but at 5 points up the lads thought they were getting out of this one easy and had a nice rest when they came back out. When Dublin sense blood that's when they really put you to the sword.
We have no full back line, SA and Kerin don't know how to tackle without giving a soft free and competing for who can get the first yellow card. Liam Silke is a good player but finds himself wandering up the field. Bradshaw is allergic to passing the ball forward and o donnell is a decent club player at best,.
It won't happen but caution to the wind the next day and play a sweeper in front of the full back line. Only these 7 defend along with 1 midfielder tracking back. The other 6 stay in the oppositions half and press the break out. And for gods sake use the subs as soon as needed. No point going out without using the lads that are training week in week out.."
'Only these 7 defend along with 1 midfielder tracking back. The other 6 stay in the oppositions half and press the break out. '

This would be absolute kamikaze stuff.

I know people are sick of some of the fare Galway have been playing, but to advocate for a change to this extent just demonstrates a lack of knowledge of the game.

TheHuckleBuck (Galway) - Posts: 9 - 18/06/2019 08:50:26    2196928

Link

Replying To Rayo1:  "Good Lord no. Mulkerrins from the under 20 side will be our full back long term."
This man speaks the truth. May not have the size of SA (yet) but in terms of playing the #3 role he the longer-term option I'd say

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 582 - 18/06/2019 09:04:44    2196933

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "I thought 8 was enough changes !!"
mayo_123 (Mayo) - Posts: 178 - 18/06/2019 09:30:30    2196941

Link

Belclare wants the entire Corofin starting 15 representing Galway. Fitzy in FB and even James Healy as the sub goalie.

And you know what, he is probably right becuase the lads i saw playing on Sunday in Stadium were to a man, absolutely pathetic.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 18/06/2019 09:34:36    2196942

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Draft in Daithi Burke who opted away from football, what messsge does that send to the rest of the panel training all year. Daithi is a fine footballer but he didn't commit to the Galway footballers so it would be a mistake on his behalf & m'ment to come in."
Well said. Morale can't be great in that camp and to go drafting in lads now from outside the group could not make things any better. Current panel/management have dug made this mess let them stand up and fix it now.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 414 - 18/06/2019 09:56:07    2196952

Link

Replying To mayo_123:  "karma"
What club does he play for? Would he make a good inside forward?

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 414 - 18/06/2019 09:56:52    2196953

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "This man speaks the truth. May not have the size of SA (yet) but in terms of playing the #3 role he the longer-term option I'd say"
Ye we're all saying the same about SA two years ago.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 647 - 18/06/2019 10:05:02    2196958

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "What club does he play for? Would he make a good inside forward?"
Plays for Mayo. Loves kicking wides.

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 365 - 18/06/2019 10:13:32    2196960

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Plays for Mayo. Loves kicking wides."
After seeing Mayo minors Friday, Juniors Sunday and seniors against Roscommon he is in good company so.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 414 - 18/06/2019 10:23:32    2196965

Link

Replying To Yondu:  "Best team won who showed on that day why they beat the NFL champions in MacHale Park.

Too many of Galway's key players that i named before the game either didn't perform or were marked out of it. The last quarter of the 1st half was Galway's only good period of the game. 2nd half was similar to the 1st half in the 2017, where Galway was outfought and out thought by Roscommon.

Lavelle starting was no real surprise, first choice during the league and for the championship last year. However on the day his kicks out were poor and lucky for Galway the majority of them weren't exploited. Cummins dropped and not played at all was strange one when you consider his good record v Roscommon. Cooke is a young footballer but he showed yesterday he has a bit to go yet before stepping up and establishing himself as a senior football.

A normally solid Galway defence really struggled to contain Diarmuid Murtagh,Conor Cox and when that happened the chances of winning was always going to be slim. Connacht crown gone and its about reaching the last 8 for Galway now. 3 weeks to recover so can be no excuses and could face a team that will be on the road for the 3 weeks in a row."
You know well it is in the heads for many defeated provincial finalists. The 3 week break can be looked at in two ways as we will face with momentum and you cannot beat playing matches. If we get our heads right and KW makes certain changes plus more of the injured are guys back (unreal the amount of non Galway posters plus a few Rossies who kept saying Conroy and Comer would be on the bench) we have a decent chance of making the super 8's. All that has been said since Sunday hard to disagree with particularly on the mgt but we have an opportunity to correct it in the s/t. The l/t will have to look after itself for now.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 18/06/2019 10:39:40    2196976

Link

What can you say? Awful performance, can't dress it up in any other way.

My team for next round would be :
Bernie Power - Better kickouts and won't be beaten at his near post.
Eoghan Kerins - A better option than Kyne still, IMO.
Sean Andy - He's only selected because there is no one else. Found out
Liam Silke - Thought he started well then faded but a definite starter on this team.
K Molloy - Starts if available. Adds more pace than O'Donnell, an insult giving him 2 and a half mins in inj time.
Bradshaw - Think it would be harsh to drop him. Can kick a score too.
J. Daly - Doesn't do anything fancy, keeps it very simple.
Conroy - Let's hope he's back next day, miss his kickpassing and leadership
Flynn/Duggan - Maybe bit harsh but if Flynn was dropped for Duggan, don't think he could complain.
McDaid - Would start him, bringing him on last 10 mins not the answer
Walsh - Not a natural leader, be great to get a full 70min performance from Shane as he is electric
Daly/ O Laoi - Both scored 2 from Play so take your pick.
Ian Burke- Very poor handling last day which isn't like him, will surely turn the corner soon.
Comer- Need a target man that will hold his position which Comer will do.
Farragher - Felt sorry for him only getting maybe 7 mins overall to impress. Worth a shot starting him

S. Kelly would be my first sub, thought he brought some intensity when he came on, Heaney not in my team as thought he looked very flat and seemed to be marking Niall Daly for a large portion of match and he ended up with MOTM award.
I'm sure Kevin wont drop him though, he was even kept on for too long last day , much like Burke and Cooke.
Whatever happens this year, I believe/hope it will be Kevin's last.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 18/06/2019 11:43:44    2197012

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "What can you say? Awful performance, can't dress it up in any other way.

My team for next round would be :
Bernie Power - Better kickouts and won't be beaten at his near post.
Eoghan Kerins - A better option than Kyne still, IMO.
Sean Andy - He's only selected because there is no one else. Found out
Liam Silke - Thought he started well then faded but a definite starter on this team.
K Molloy - Starts if available. Adds more pace than O'Donnell, an insult giving him 2 and a half mins in inj time.
Bradshaw - Think it would be harsh to drop him. Can kick a score too.
J. Daly - Doesn't do anything fancy, keeps it very simple.
Conroy - Let's hope he's back next day, miss his kickpassing and leadership
Flynn/Duggan - Maybe bit harsh but if Flynn was dropped for Duggan, don't think he could complain.
McDaid - Would start him, bringing him on last 10 mins not the answer
Walsh - Not a natural leader, be great to get a full 70min performance from Shane as he is electric
Daly/ O Laoi - Both scored 2 from Play so take your pick.
Ian Burke- Very poor handling last day which isn't like him, will surely turn the corner soon.
Comer- Need a target man that will hold his position which Comer will do.
Farragher - Felt sorry for him only getting maybe 7 mins overall to impress. Worth a shot starting him

S. Kelly would be my first sub, thought he brought some intensity when he came on, Heaney not in my team as thought he looked very flat and seemed to be marking Niall Daly for a large portion of match and he ended up with MOTM award.
I'm sure Kevin wont drop him though, he was even kept on for too long last day , much like Burke and Cooke.
Whatever happens this year, I believe/hope it will be Kevin's last."
Good team by and large. In fairness Flynn has been our outstanding midfielder for the last year so feel criticism of him is harsh. We need more players back though particularly Conroy and Comer. Unlikely latter will be match fit from what I have heard but of course non Galwegians I am sure will tell me otherwise since they got it so right (not) last weekend.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 18/06/2019 11:54:22    2197019

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Ye we're all saying the same about SA two years ago."
Not a lot of people to be fair. SA at club level does what hes being doing there this year - standing off his man a lot. He is certainly the short-term solution especially with his size etc but young Mulkerrins has been pinpointed a long way out as the longer term solution to # 3

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 582 - 18/06/2019 12:19:11    2197039

Link

Flynn has been one of Galway's best players over the past 2 years. Had a bad game on Sunday but I'm not convinced he was fully fit. He seemed very laboured in his movement. Look at the way Roscommon players ran around him for a few handy scores.

We seem to be carrying a lot of injured or half-fit players around the middle of the field at the moment.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1633 - 18/06/2019 12:23:59    2197045

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Not a lot of people to be fair. SA at club level does what hes being doing there this year - standing off his man a lot. He is certainly the short-term solution especially with his size etc but young Mulkerrins has been pinpointed a long way out as the longer term solution to # 3"
Hopefully Mulkerrins is the answer

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 18/06/2019 12:29:26    2197049

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Well said. Morale can't be great in that camp and to go drafting in lads now from outside the group could not make things any better. Current panel/management have dug made this mess let them stand up and fix it now."
I can see your point here but this is about putting our best 15 out on the pitch. Whats damaging for morale is watching your midfield getting skinned alive the last day. Burke should be drafted in. He chose the hurling because he couldn't committ to both codes. He is the best midfielder in the county.

You talk about these players and the management digging themselves out of this mess. They are incapable of doing it unless radical changes are made to team selection and tactics. Men like power, farragher and Daithi burke are proven winners and can turn this mess around if given the opportunity.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 18/06/2019 12:56:57    2197068

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I can see your point here but this is about putting our best 15 out on the pitch. Whats damaging for morale is watching your midfield getting skinned alive the last day. Burke should be drafted in. He chose the hurling because he couldn't committ to both codes. He is the best midfielder in the county.

You talk about these players and the management digging themselves out of this mess. They are incapable of doing it unless radical changes are made to team selection and tactics. Men like power, farragher and Daithi burke are proven winners and can turn this mess around if given the opportunity."
" He is the best midfielder in the county "
You must be having a laugh. Flynn nominated for an All Star last year , Conroy nominated for two I believe in the past. If he were to mark Cooke or Duggan in a match, would he blow them out of the water?
He got MOTM in club final against a 14 man Crokes, they won the game by 12 points.
A very good hurler but is he even in best football midfielder in his club? I'm sure Steede doesn't think so.
Let's not overreact and start a guy who has not played for the senior's all year, unless of of course Joe Canning would like to Join Damien Comer on the edge of the square in this fairyland as well

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 18/06/2019 14:57:59    2197130

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Flynn has been one of Galway's best players over the past 2 years. Had a bad game on Sunday but I'm not convinced he was fully fit. He seemed very laboured in his movement. Look at the way Roscommon players ran around him for a few handy scores.

We seem to be carrying a lot of injured or half-fit players around the middle of the field at the moment."
I don't agree with Flynn being one of Galway's best players or even midfielders but I do agree that injuries / fitness is an issue for both the hurlers and footballers this year. What else can explain these second half fade-outs (particularly in the last quarter) that we have seen in recent games or has it to do with complacency / lack of concentration?

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 18/06/2019 15:33:13    2197147

Link