Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To galwayman2:  "With all due respect - blaming the system of play for the way he fumbled and dropped ball after ball is nonsense."
Well am glad to say the footballers not too down after yesterday they were in Hughes bar full song dissapointed yes but they know they have another chance!!

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 149 - 17/06/2019 18:22:14    2196701

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Ian Burke is good when there is room to play and when he gets good ball but the Rossies made it a dog fight yesterday and thats not his game. Yesterday was for guts and determination and Burke was not the only one to fail in that area.Picking on Burke highlights the anti Corofin bias which has been part of Galway football for a very long time. This is very ironic as Corofin have been a shining light in Galway football for nearly 30 years. Look at the way Molloy , Farragher and Power were treated yesterday. They should walk away from this shambles and play for their club."
Most of the starting team played poorly in the second half so he absolutely shouldnt be singled out. I place the blame for yesterday's abysmal second half performance on managements doorstep.

I do agree with you that there are a few people in galway football who want to see the corofin lads fail which is pathetic. There are far more people who want lads from the west fail because of them being from the west the divide and the grudges fans have against players they have never met is disgraceful. Anti -corofin , anti -west crap all needs to die.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 877 - 17/06/2019 18:24:24    2196702

Link

Power.
Kyne.
Sean Andy.
Liam Silke.
Molloy.
John Daly.
Mc Daid.
Flynn.
Conroy.
Daly.
Walsh.
Kelly.
Farragher.
Comer.
Burke.
Start that team and we may have a chance..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 361 - 17/06/2019 18:50:58    2196717

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Power.
Kyne.
Sean Andy.
Liam Silke.
Molloy.
John Daly.
Mc Daid.
Flynn.
Conroy.
Daly.
Walsh.
Kelly.
Farragher.
Comer.
Burke.
Start that team and we may have a chance.."
Like that team

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 177 - 17/06/2019 19:09:55    2196730

Link

Well the sight of ian burke standing back in our half back line summed it up for me
some people beside me thought he was taken off they could not see him anywhere
then it was pointed out to them that he was to be seen at the far end of the pitch back in defensive
now i think this is a complete waste of time having ian burke and other forwards sitting so deep
i dont think there gonna do anything to improve the defence
surely you keep 2 or 3 forwards up in the forward line

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 991 - 17/06/2019 19:17:01    2196732

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Power.
Kyne.
Sean Andy.
Liam Silke.
Molloy.
John Daly.
Mc Daid.
Flynn.
Conroy.
Daly.
Walsh.
Kelly.
Farragher.
Comer.
Burke.
Start that team and we may have a chance.."
Kerin hasn't been great this year at all but Sean Andy has been a total and utter liability.
If anyone gets dropped in fb line surely it's him?

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 641 - 17/06/2019 19:42:11    2196740

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Kerin hasn't been great this year at all but Sean Andy has been a total and utter liability.
If anyone gets dropped in fb line surely it's him?"
Could Kelly do a job at FB?
Thought he made a big difference when he came on yesterday
Got stuck in

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 177 - 17/06/2019 19:50:21    2196742

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Could Kelly do a job at FB?
Got stuck in"
Good Lord no. Mulkerrins from the under 20 side will be our full back long term.

Rayo1 (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 17/06/2019 20:50:09    2196771

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Ian Burke is good when there is room to play and when he gets good ball but the Rossies made it a dog fight yesterday and thats not his game. Yesterday was for guts and determination and Burke was not the only one to fail in that area.Picking on Burke highlights the anti Corofin bias which has been part of Galway football for a very long time. This is very ironic as Corofin have been a shining light in Galway football for nearly 30 years. Look at the way Molloy , Farragher and Power were treated yesterday. They should walk away from this shambles and play for their club."
Arrah come down off that cross, we need the wood for goalposts. Nobody is picking on Burke, merely pointing out that he was poor yesterday. Which he was.

marooney (Galway) - Posts: 87 - 17/06/2019 21:23:03    2196787

Link

Does it not seem to work both ways in relation to the Corofin players? You say no matter what people are waiting in the shadows to crush them when they get the chance. But on the flip side are people not defending some players that can't be defended? The team played ok in the first half. Ian Burke, Tom Flynn and Peter Cooke did not. They were poor for the majority of minutes they were on the pitch. All three could of been substituted at half time. After yesterday I don't think anyone in the squad should be absolved of anything. Let them stand tall take the criticism and respond to it.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 408 - 17/06/2019 21:29:12    2196791

Link

Got stuck in"
Invite Kieran Fitzgearld into training and then play him at number 3 and Sean Mulkerrins at 2 and Sean Andy at 4. They could learn from him. Fullback problem solved.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 327 - 17/06/2019 21:37:53    2196798

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Kerin hasn't been great this year at all but Sean Andy has been a total and utter liability.
If anyone gets dropped in fb line surely it's him?"
I thought 8 was enough changes !!

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 361 - 17/06/2019 21:40:20    2196801

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "With all due respect - blaming the system of play for the way he fumbled and dropped ball after ball is nonsense."
I'm trying not to single out individual players for our collapse yesterday when its the ineffectiveness of the decision making on the sideline that blew it so badly in the second half yesterday. Yes his handling was poor but the conditions had the ball like a bar of soap in the first half.- that said, he should have done much better on to some catchable passes. But why hadn't he Farragher or Conroy to play off? With Comer still out, we needed that option against a gritty, riled up outfit like Roscommon.
Its this System, this tripe we played in the second half (that's clearly the way they're being instructed to play) that's so infuriating to watch when the game was there to be put away after half time.
And while I'm at it, what kind of medical care from Galway has Comer out for this long? He should be well back. Ankles are fickle but this length of time is ridiculous.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 73 - 17/06/2019 21:45:17    2196805

Link

Got stuck in"
I think Kyne, Sean Andy and Kerin are not up to it. Management need to start thinking outside the box - AvB might be worth trying a back six of:

Heaney, Kelly and Silke
Molloy, Bradshaw/O'Donnell and Daly

Really (Galway) - Posts: 317 - 17/06/2019 21:57:10    2196813

Link

Congrats to roscommon and Anthony Cunningham. They were full value for their win. As for Galway I strongly believe that the axing of Power was a shocking decision which was a huge boost to Cunningham even before a ball was kicked. I've spoke about this issue before and I think anyone who watched the game yesterday will admit at this stage that Power 's kickouts are vastly superior.

I don't think KW will change his tactics at this stage or his selection policy. It's a sad state of affairs. He spoke after the game about not getting a hand on the ball in the second half and that there was no change in approach at halftime.

If that's true, I'd like him to explain why Shane Walsh was deployed at 14 at the start of the second half when it was clear he was dominating the game at 11 when he moved out there for the last 20 minutes of the first half. What game was he watching ?

In relation to not getting a hand on a ball in the second half, only KW can explain why some bright spark thought it was a good decision to drop a goalkeeper whose kickouts are arguably on a par with Stephen cluxton's. That's the reason we couldn't get a hand on a ball or win primary possession.

There is a reason why corofin are so successful. They win primary possession from Power's kickouts. That's a very simple fact.

KW has been a great servant to Galway football and I'm not calling for his head at present. He needs to reset tactically. However the county board should be stepping in now as he appears to have lost his way. John Divilly should be called upon to provide coaching guidance at this late stage. We have no plan B at all and players like Ian Burke are being forced to play football in a straight jacket.

Kevin Stritch is the coach. It's all about zonal defending. He obviously never heard of backs tackling and putting relentless pressure on a man in possession. It's basketball tactics that have no place on a football field.

Can the season be saved at this point. I doubt it. It would take a huge change in mindset by management. KW has to try and get Daithi Burke but after the treatment shown towards his club colleagues I'd doubt if he would want to get involved. It looks like comer won't be fit for next game but if KW selected the following team, we'd easily make the super 8's.

1 Power
2 Silke
3 o ceallaigh
4 kerin
5 Molloy
6 Daly
7 mcdaid
8 Duggan
9 Daithi Burke
10 Conroy
11 Walsh
12 Daly
13 O laoi
14 Farragher
15 Burke

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 17/06/2019 22:27:44    2196832

Link

I used to post on here quite a bit some years back but stopped. I think now is a good time to add my two cents again. We have great squad of lads... but no men. No one willing to dig in when the going gets tough. Yes mgmt were crap on Sunday and their race is run but at 5 points up the lads thought they were getting out of this one easy and had a nice rest when they came back out. When Dublin sense blood that's when they really put you to the sword.
We have no full back line, SA and Kerin don't know how to tackle without giving a soft free and competing for who can get the first yellow card. Liam Silke is a good player but finds himself wandering up the field. Bradshaw is allergic to passing the ball forward and o donnell is a decent club player at best,.
It won't happen but caution to the wind the next day and play a sweeper in front of the full back line. Only these 7 defend along with 1 midfielder tracking back. The other 6 stay in the oppositions half and press the break out. And for gods sake use the subs as soon as needed. No point going out without using the lads that are training week in week out..

Mickhiggins (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 17/06/2019 22:46:28    2196847

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Well am glad to say the footballers not too down after yesterday they were in Hughes bar full song dissapointed yes but they know they have another chance!!"
Good to hear they were not too down & having a good time after that game.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 755 - 18/06/2019 00:12:22    2196884

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Congrats to roscommon and Anthony Cunningham. They were full value for their win. As for Galway I strongly believe that the axing of Power was a shocking decision which was a huge boost to Cunningham even before a ball was kicked. I've spoke about this issue before and I think anyone who watched the game yesterday will admit at this stage that Power 's kickouts are vastly superior.

I don't think KW will change his tactics at this stage or his selection policy. It's a sad state of affairs. He spoke after the game about not getting a hand on the ball in the second half and that there was no change in approach at halftime.

If that's true, I'd like him to explain why Shane Walsh was deployed at 14 at the start of the second half when it was clear he was dominating the game at 11 when he moved out there for the last 20 minutes of the first half. What game was he watching ?

In relation to not getting a hand on a ball in the second half, only KW can explain why some bright spark thought it was a good decision to drop a goalkeeper whose kickouts are arguably on a par with Stephen cluxton's. That's the reason we couldn't get a hand on a ball or win primary possession.

There is a reason why corofin are so successful. They win primary possession from Power's kickouts. That's a very simple fact.

KW has been a great servant to Galway football and I'm not calling for his head at present. He needs to reset tactically. However the county board should be stepping in now as he appears to have lost his way. John Divilly should be called upon to provide coaching guidance at this late stage. We have no plan B at all and players like Ian Burke are being forced to play football in a straight jacket.

Kevin Stritch is the coach. It's all about zonal defending. He obviously never heard of backs tackling and putting relentless pressure on a man in possession. It's basketball tactics that have no place on a football field.

Can the season be saved at this point. I doubt it. It would take a huge change in mindset by management. KW has to try and get Daithi Burke but after the treatment shown towards his club colleagues I'd doubt if he would want to get involved. It looks like comer won't be fit for next game but if KW selected the following team, we'd easily make the super 8's.

1 Power
2 Silke
3 o ceallaigh
4 kerin
5 Molloy
6 Daly
7 mcdaid
8 Duggan
9 Daithi Burke
10 Conroy
11 Walsh
12 Daly
13 O laoi
14 Farragher
15 Burke"
Draft in Daithi Burke who opted away from football, what messsge does that send to the rest of the panel training all year. Daithi is a fine footballer but he didn't commit to the Galway footballers so it would be a mistake on his behalf & m'ment to come in.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 755 - 18/06/2019 00:20:56    2196888

Link

It's common knowledge, at least it should be to most, that David Morris has been the brains behind Corofin's domination over the last 10 years in particular.

Has he been asked to coach the county team in terms of tactics and preparation? Belclare might have some history on this?

It is critically important he is involved next year. To have a coach of his talents in Galway and not being utilised at the highest level of the game is a huge missed opportunity.
With the addition of the aforementioned prospects coming from the U20 set-up, I feel he could instill a brand of football that meets both the defensive and offensive requirements of the modern day game.

The importance of appointing a Manager then becomes less of an issue, both tactically and financially.
A front man who will have Morris in his ear during play and run front of house, media obligations etc.

I honestly believe we have more than enough quality on the current panel to challenge regularly at the business end of the season.
Surely it wouldn't take too long under new direction to break free of the shackles and play a smarter, more expansive attacking game

critic101 (Galway) - Posts: 97 - 18/06/2019 00:52:07    2196896

Link

Best team won who showed on that day why they beat the NFL champions in MacHale Park.

Too many of Galway's key players that i named before the game either didn't perform or were marked out of it. The last quarter of the 1st half was Galway's only good period of the game. 2nd half was similar to the 1st half in the 2017, where Galway was outfought and out thought by Roscommon.

Lavelle starting was no real surprise, first choice during the league and for the championship last year. However on the day his kicks out were poor and lucky for Galway the majority of them weren't exploited. Cummins dropped and not played at all was strange one when you consider his good record v Roscommon. Cooke is a young footballer but he showed yesterday he has a bit to go yet before stepping up and establishing himself as a senior football.

A normally solid Galway defence really struggled to contain Diarmuid Murtagh,Conor Cox and when that happened the chances of winning was always going to be slim. Connacht crown gone and its about reaching the last 8 for Galway now. 3 weeks to recover so can be no excuses and could face a team that will be on the road for the 3 weeks in a row.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 231 - 18/06/2019 00:59:49    2196898

Link