Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I was ridiculed here for not really rating Flynn as a leader or a midfielder for that matter. He has no drive and disappears when the going gets tough - yesterday was a prime example of that. In fairness to FOC (who I have rated as a very solid no nonsense midfielder in the past) was a big loss when he had to depart as he had been doing very well and kicked a great point. I also know Flynn wasn't the only one that went "missing" in the second half as there was no excusing that collapse and the management were clueless on the sideline with no plan B and only bringing on Farragher (a player that could have done damage with the right ball) with 2 minutes to go! I have been very disappointed with Ian Burke this year - he seems to have regressed a lot from last year and was even quite poor for Corofin. We badly needed a Gary Sice type player yesterday that could get on the ball and make things happen like I have mentioned here before. Shane Walsh is the closest we have to that type of player but he gets flustered / panics when he feels he has too much to do without much support and the slow, ponderous, negative build up play (giving time for the opposition to get their defences set) that Kevin Walsh loves is just killing his natural, attacking footballing instinct along with several other talented players in this squad. I think Kevin Walsh definitely has to walk after that shambles.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 17/06/2019 11:30:16    2196335

Link

Awful stuff from players and management.
Just awful.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 17/06/2019 11:37:17    2196341

Link

obviously very disappointed, devoid of aggression, creativity and it seems confidence in certain circumstances (that said the first half was good!)
hard to explain the turnaround but definitely the rossies broiught more fire and aggression and we didnt match it
they went after sean andy and ton flynn with straight line runs and got a lot of scores from that....
i would suggest a big changeover in players for next game
please please please start Bernie- so frustrating watching lavelle half kicking the ball to a rossie
please god comer and conroy will be back for the next day- need leadership
comer will provide a focal point and the ball was bouncing off ian burke and o laoi yesterday
start molloy and farragher as well as the two big boys and lets see if it can be turned around
a win and we can have a good cut at the super 8s
trying to stay positive

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 524 - 17/06/2019 11:41:50    2196345

Link

Replying To hashtag2017:  "Fallenstar, In March of this year we played Tyrone, up by double scores at half time 1:11 to 0:7, total collapse in second half, outscored 3:8 to 0:3 ( 2 points from play). Same start yesterday, same outcome yesterday. You need leaders when the chips are down and we saw none yesterday. It is bewildering when one looks up at a subs bench and see Kelly, Molloy, McDaid, Farragher, Brannigan, Power, all natural and able footballers. Meanwhile Jim Gavin puts his trust in Muchan, O'Callaghan, Howard, Gavin to deliver for him."
Not sure what you're getting at? I simply said the intensity levels are way off from last year and its not down to not priortising the League (a number of posters, myself included, believed this to be case)

And I also acknowledged we had no leaders on the field which was worrying. We should have made changes very early in that 2nd half and we didn't.

I would state however separate from your own post, that we are once again falling into the trap of scapegoating one player in the assumption his replacement is the answer.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 17/06/2019 12:25:51    2196401

Link

Only a victory over the Dubs will save Kevin Walsh now.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1583 - 17/06/2019 12:33:46    2196410

Link

Replying To GDL:  "Where do you begin? That second half was shocking. To hear Kevin spouting this rubbish after the game we will sit down and analysis it on Tuesday night.... it was plainly obvious, he was beaten by a better field marshall. All could be forgiven if it was the first time but you then think back to Omagh, same rubbish, same meltdown, 7 up at halftime and lost by 9. It looks like he has chains on the players "you will not dare leave the game plan" With 5 up at half time he should have gone for the game. This negative rubbish has to stop. His decision making is seriously questionable. His days are numbered, Corofin will be the must worried this morning as Pat Kearney will surely be ringing Kevin O'Brien."
He wont be going so might as well get stuck in and support them while we are in the 2019 championship. Co board won't push him out. No man will take the job at this stage of season anyway.

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 425 - 17/06/2019 12:42:53    2196424

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Not sure what you're getting at? I simply said the intensity levels are way off from last year and its not down to not priortising the League (a number of posters, myself included, believed this to be case)

And I also acknowledged we had no leaders on the field which was worrying. We should have made changes very early in that 2nd half and we didn't.

I would state however separate from your own post, that we are once again falling into the trap of scapegoating one player in the assumption his replacement is the answer."
It's with much regret that I feel that Clearly the elephant in the kitchen is Kevin. He would be given the compliments and accolades if Galway were successful and therefore must accept the responsibility for their shortcomings. I believe that Galway have the quality to challenge any team and have more quality than most. However It's obvious that this management team who work tirelessly are ill equipped to guide this bunch of players to anywhere near their potential. He has been given all the time needed to steer this team and the performance in this years championship is a joke. I take no pleasure in slating Kevin, a fantastic servant and hero of Galway football but he needs to stand back and accept that his passion for the game blinds his acumen for the position as manager of a county team. I think Kevin should step down with immediate effect.

Gaabandit98 (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 17/06/2019 12:56:42    2196442

Link

Got cleaned out in the middle - kickouts poor - clueless, couldn't get our hands on the ball, when we did build up play was too slow.

Any chance of Daiti Burke coming in? Cant see him wasting his time on yesterdays evidence -

Badly needed in mid field as we have no one at inter - county standard there.

Howardhunt1 (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 17/06/2019 13:14:55    2196455

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Not sure what you're getting at? I simply said the intensity levels are way off from last year and its not down to not priortising the League (a number of posters, myself included, believed this to be case)

I would state however separate from your own post, that we are once again falling into the trap of scapegoating one player in the assumption his replacement is the answer."
Fallenstar, what I am getting at is your statement that the team selected to start yesterday "was fine". It wasn't fine and to compound matters it was there for too long. We started players yesterday who under-performed in the 2 previous championship games against probably the 2 poorest teams in the competition. A full forward line misfiring and a half back line who are picked for their defensive duties which they are clearly unable to carry out. The referee passed GOD on the way back for the Roscommon goal. All in all a miserable day but given the correct game plan, select and allow our natural footballers to play we will do alright.

hashtag2017 (Galway) - Posts: 15 - 17/06/2019 13:38:23    2196485

Link

Replying To hashtag2017:  "Fallenstar, what I am getting at is your statement that the team selected to start yesterday "was fine". It wasn't fine and to compound matters it was there for too long. We started players yesterday who under-performed in the 2 previous championship games against probably the 2 poorest teams in the competition. A full forward line misfiring and a half back line who are picked for their defensive duties which they are clearly unable to carry out. The referee passed GOD on the way back for the Roscommon goal. All in all a miserable day but given the correct game plan, select and allow our natural footballers to play we will do alright."
Well hashtag2017, they were leading by 5 points at half-time so by and large, they were doing ok no? I definetely agree we could be more ruthless when it comes to selection. I wouldn't have started the same 15 named BUT that XV were good enough to be leading by 5 half-time.

The flipside as Belclare pointed out before the game was there was one hell of a bench to choose from. We didn't capitalise on that. Ian Burke was very poor in the preceding games this year and brought that form into the final. He is a marvellous player, but not yesterday. He was left on the field far longer than he should have, just one example of a series of changes Walsh should have made 10 minutes into that second half. He didn't and he has to recognize that for the rest of the season.

I'd be most worried about our intensity and ability to adapt to games going against it (neither were major issues in 2018) but those and other lessons are there to be learnt and plenty of time to do so too. All is not lost.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 17/06/2019 14:15:47    2196513

Link

Replying To hashtag2017:  "Fallenstar, what I am getting at is your statement that the team selected to start yesterday "was fine". It wasn't fine and to compound matters it was there for too long. We started players yesterday who under-performed in the 2 previous championship games against probably the 2 poorest teams in the competition. A full forward line misfiring and a half back line who are picked for their defensive duties which they are clearly unable to carry out. The referee passed GOD on the way back for the Roscommon goal. All in all a miserable day but given the correct game plan, select and allow our natural footballers to play we will do alright."
He could have started a better team but to be fair the team that started kicked 10 points in the first half in dreadful conditions. If they kept going they could have won it, instead they fell further and further back, that to me is a mindset and tactical issue rather than ability. I would agree with most on here that Molloy, Kelly, McDaid, Farragher should have been brought in as soon as it was evident that the team were falling back which was to me about ten minutes into the second half. The game was gone by the time those lads got a run and there was absolutely no structure or shape as to how they were playing at that stage.. Also agree that its hard to explain picking GOD over Molloy at this stage and that in the absence of Comer its hard to explain how Farragher or Varley did not get a start to add some power(and they have plenty of ability) to the full forward line. Cant understand why he took of Mike Daly when he was one of the few who was physically at least able to hold on to the ball when he got it. Hard to be positive but thought John Daly and Brannigan both did well and have the type of go forward mentality that we need. I dont agree with the naming of dummy teams either and dont see how it has benefited us e.g. he should have stuck with Power in goal if he named him and so on, Despite all my negativity, I think it is madness to be calling for KW to go now, they have 3 weeks to put this right

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 17/06/2019 14:39:25    2196540

Link

John Divilly has it spot on in his article today. Lavelle's kickouts were bad. Ian Burke was off the standard. No leaders stood up in the second half. And we were afraid to kick the bloody ball.
Lavelle's long range kick outs were very poor and easily read (I also feel he could have been in position to save Murtagh's shot for the goal). Ian Burke's handling was below par for the majority of the game and it was obvious to many that he needed to be substituted much earlier, likewise with Peter Cooke. Both were out of it but Kevin and Brian just stood there watching. Burke's a brilliant talent but off the boil yesterday and I felt played with some fear by the way he half-heartedly attacked some of the incoming ball. With their aggression, the Ros defenders had him worried, I think.
Midfield got no support. And as for the fear of kicking the ball, well that's a truly fundamental problem at the core of this broken 'System' we're adhering to for too long.
Kevin Stritch's addition in the backroom is to be questioned too. Was he a direct replacement for Tally? What has he brought to improve us?

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 78 - 17/06/2019 14:54:33    2196550

Link

Bit of an embarrassment y'day, similar to the Monaghan game in the Stadium last year. The Rossies came in numbers similar to Monaghan & outnumbered Galway by 2 to 1 at least. Every time they scored or delivered a hit it was like a home game for them such was the roar that went up. On the field & off the field Galway were a massive disappointment. Some players are living off reputations & have been placed on pedestals since underage by many supporters, acting the hard men or shaping but lack the football skills particularly in the backs. The two most skilful players y'day were Cox & Hubert Darcy. Collapses every year be it Tipp, Monaghan, Roscommon are demoralising. A couple of things y'day are hard to fathom, change of goalie again, Corofin lads only brought on with a few mins left, dummy team named again despite most lads fit to play other than Conroy or Comer, what did Danny Cummins do wrong, played well earlier rounds but didn't even get a look in y'day. Galway football hasn't played had the support of all since 1983, the last time was the 70's, you have to bring everyone with you to be successful, clubs, players, supporters, Galway is so divided & bitter in football, that is not going to happen. Hats off to the Rossies, they did it in style y'day.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 761 - 17/06/2019 16:29:05    2196629

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "John Divilly has it spot on in his article today. Lavelle's kickouts were bad. Ian Burke was off the standard. No leaders stood up in the second half. And we were afraid to kick the bloody ball.
Lavelle's long range kick outs were very poor and easily read (I also feel he could have been in position to save Murtagh's shot for the goal). Ian Burke's handling was below par for the majority of the game and it was obvious to many that he needed to be substituted much earlier, likewise with Peter Cooke. Both were out of it but Kevin and Brian just stood there watching. Burke's a brilliant talent but off the boil yesterday and I felt played with some fear by the way he half-heartedly attacked some of the incoming ball. With their aggression, the Ros defenders had him worried, I think.
Midfield got no support. And as for the fear of kicking the ball, well that's a truly fundamental problem at the core of this broken 'System' we're adhering to for too long.
Kevin Stritch's addition in the backroom is to be questioned too. Was he a direct replacement for Tally? What has he brought to improve us?"
Ian Burke is good when there is room to play and when he gets good ball but the Rossies made it a dog fight yesterday and thats not his game. Yesterday was for guts and determination and Burke was not the only one to fail in that area.Picking on Burke highlights the anti Corofin bias which has been part of Galway football for a very long time. This is very ironic as Corofin have been a shining light in Galway football for nearly 30 years. Look at the way Molloy , Farragher and Power were treated yesterday. They should walk away from this shambles and play for their club.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 144 - 17/06/2019 17:12:40    2196658

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Ian Burke is good when there is room to play and when he gets good ball but the Rossies made it a dog fight yesterday and thats not his game. Yesterday was for guts and determination and Burke was not the only one to fail in that area.Picking on Burke highlights the anti Corofin bias which has been part of Galway football for a very long time. This is very ironic as Corofin have been a shining light in Galway football for nearly 30 years. Look at the way Molloy , Farragher and Power were treated yesterday. They should walk away from this shambles and play for their club."
On the contrary, I'm not anti-Corofin in any way, shape or form. No bias at all. I'm not from there but am a big admirer of the way they play football - its a joy to watch. Ian Burke is, as I said, a great player but I don't think I'm alone in saying he was off the mark yesterday. Dropped too much ball. Its not his fault. Its the system of play we're adhering to that's letting him down. Why wasn't Farragher and Burke tried yesterday? Burke needs to play off a Farragher or Comer or similar, stronger, taller target full forward. Conroy might have done that job too. But our management don't seem to agree.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 78 - 17/06/2019 17:29:53    2196667

Link

As a manager it must be a joy 2 play v Galway u know what they are going 2 do Kevin never does anything different same players all the time No matter how poor they are every person knows for last 12 months our half back line lacks pace ( great servants but time has caught up with them ) so 12 months later put them out again why not try Brannigan at wing back great ball carrier and lots pace Ian Burke very poor this year still leaves him on after 25 mins he should have being gone he does not score facts farragher in at least the ball will stick with him play varely centre forward smart player as for the injury to comer serious question need answering 6 months out now at this level of sport in my opinion badly dealt with by player and county to me it's another wasted year in Galway football think about it only for Shane Walsh last year v Ross they would now have 3 in a row titles ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 321 - 17/06/2019 17:47:45    2196673

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Bit of an embarrassment y'day, similar to the Monaghan game in the Stadium last year. The Rossies came in numbers similar to Monaghan & outnumbered Galway by 2 to 1 at least. Every time they scored or delivered a hit it was like a home game for them such was the roar that went up. On the field & off the field Galway were a massive disappointment. Some players are living off reputations & have been placed on pedestals since underage by many supporters, acting the hard men or shaping but lack the football skills particularly in the backs. The two most skilful players y'day were Cox & Hubert Darcy. Collapses every year be it Tipp, Monaghan, Roscommon are demoralising. A couple of things y'day are hard to fathom, change of goalie again, Corofin lads only brought on with a few mins left, dummy team named again despite most lads fit to play other than Conroy or Comer, what did Danny Cummins do wrong, played well earlier rounds but didn't even get a look in y'day. Galway football hasn't played had the support of all since 1983, the last time was the 70's, you have to bring everyone with you to be successful, clubs, players, supporters, Galway is so divided & bitter in football, that is not going to happen. Hats off to the Rossies, they did it in style y'day."
We're outnumbered in the stand and on the terraces because of this inept, back-pedaling, fear-laden football we're playing. Some people are categorically staying away over this. I know plenty of them. Its sad for the lads training so hard but an indication of Galway supporters disdain for this system. You say we hadn't united support since 1983 - Support was united in Galway in 98 and 01, North Board, West Board, everywhere, because we went out to play football and get scores, and we had determined leaders all over the field. That's all we want, it doesn't matter a damn if you're from Clifden or Ballygar or anywhere in between.
Yes, we've had to learn to defend in recent years and fair play to KW for that but we've to immediately learn to let off the shackles and attack with venom too. Why don't we play more like we did when he hammered Donegal or when we did the same to Ros in the replay in Castlebar? That second half display yesterday was truly pathetic. Even kids watching were bewildered by it, with young lads around us asking why the ball was being passed backwards! Some Rossie supporters were commenting just how poor and predictable Galway's efforts were at moving the ball into scoring positions. In that second half and obviously during half time, management failed and no leaders emerged on the field. Not a good day for the maroon and white. Hope Kevin and co pick it up for the qualifiers, and then I hope they'll be gracious enough to allow change next year. They've had a great stint and the very best of luck to them but we need to evolve again and go hard after an All Ireland in the next 1-3 years. I'm convinced we've the talent there to do it, but they need a new General!

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 78 - 17/06/2019 17:49:49    2196675

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "We're outnumbered in the stand and on the terraces because of this inept, back-pedaling, fear-laden football we're playing. Some people are categorically staying away over this. I know plenty of them. Its sad for the lads training so hard but an indication of Galway supporters disdain for this system. You say we hadn't united support since 1983 - Support was united in Galway in 98 and 01, North Board, West Board, everywhere, because we went out to play football and get scores, and we had determined leaders all over the field. That's all we want, it doesn't matter a damn if you're from Clifden or Ballygar or anywhere in between.
Yes, we've had to learn to defend in recent years and fair play to KW for that but we've to immediately learn to let off the shackles and attack with venom too. Why don't we play more like we did when he hammered Donegal or when we did the same to Ros in the replay in Castlebar? That second half display yesterday was truly pathetic. Even kids watching were bewildered by it, with young lads around us asking why the ball was being passed backwards! Some Rossie supporters were commenting just how poor and predictable Galway's efforts were at moving the ball into scoring positions. In that second half and obviously during half time, management failed and no leaders emerged on the field. Not a good day for the maroon and white. Hope Kevin and co pick it up for the qualifiers, and then I hope they'll be gracious enough to allow change next year. They've had a great stint and the very best of luck to them but we need to evolve again and go hard after an All Ireland in the next 1-3 years. I'm convinced we've the talent there to do it, but they need a new General!"
The problem is the so-called "defence" is not even that good as Roscommon this year and Monaghan / Dublin last year can testify to! We are neither a watertight defensive team (as the players are just marking space rather than their men) or an all out attacking team. Most opposition teams are now aware of that and regularly take advantage.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 17/06/2019 18:09:11    2196689

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "On the contrary, I'm not anti-Corofin in any way, shape or form. No bias at all. I'm not from there but am a big admirer of the way they play football - its a joy to watch. Ian Burke is, as I said, a great player but I don't think I'm alone in saying he was off the mark yesterday. Dropped too much ball. Its not his fault. Its the system of play we're adhering to that's letting him down. Why wasn't Farragher and Burke tried yesterday? Burke needs to play off a Farragher or Comer or similar, stronger, taller target full forward. Conroy might have done that job too. But our management don't seem to agree."
With all due respect - blaming the system of play for the way he fumbled and dropped ball after ball is nonsense.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 641 - 17/06/2019 18:11:17    2196696

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Bit of an embarrassment y'day, similar to the Monaghan game in the Stadium last year. The Rossies came in numbers similar to Monaghan & outnumbered Galway by 2 to 1 at least. Every time they scored or delivered a hit it was like a home game for them such was the roar that went up. On the field & off the field Galway were a massive disappointment. Some players are living off reputations & have been placed on pedestals since underage by many supporters, acting the hard men or shaping but lack the football skills particularly in the backs. The two most skilful players y'day were Cox & Hubert Darcy. Collapses every year be it Tipp, Monaghan, Roscommon are demoralising. A couple of things y'day are hard to fathom, change of goalie again, Corofin lads only brought on with a few mins left, dummy team named again despite most lads fit to play other than Conroy or Comer, what did Danny Cummins do wrong, played well earlier rounds but didn't even get a look in y'day. Galway football hasn't played had the support of all since 1983, the last time was the 70's, you have to bring everyone with you to be successful, clubs, players, supporters, Galway is so divided & bitter in football, that is not going to happen. Hats off to the Rossies, they did it in style y'day."
You must have been keeping nice and dry with the bigwigs in the stand, if you found the acoustics to be that dramatically different between the rival fans. Try going out under the umbrella for a change, and you won't notice half as much variation in the sound effects coming from different fans on the terrace.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2282 - 17/06/2019 18:20:27    2196699

Link