Galway Forum

Connacht Final 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I am probably one of the most optimistic glass half full fans......... but today was utterly demoralising.

Even if u accept the system KW plays I don't get why we don't have someone close to goal at the very least to stretch opponents even if rarely used. Only way to save season is radical changes. Assuming fitness Molloy, Comer, Conroy, Mcdaid, Kelly should come in. All have power and pace in abundance.

I can't understand Cooke. He slows everything down. Is Duggan close to a return?

Not even going to discuss what should happen at end of year. Focusing on this championship while we are still in it.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 16/06/2019 21:59:54    2196084

Link

Unfortunately two great galway men that were very badly treated by the players and officials here in galway have come back to haunt both our hurlers and footballers while I was disappointed to loose to roscommon I am delighted for Anthony Cunningham a gentleman

minor77 (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 16/06/2019 22:07:20    2196088

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "I am probably one of the most optimistic glass half full fans......... but today was utterly demoralising.

Even if u accept the system KW plays I don't get why we don't have someone close to goal at the very least to stretch opponents even if rarely used. Only way to save season is radical changes. Assuming fitness Molloy, Comer, Conroy, Mcdaid, Kelly should come in. All have power and pace in abundance.

I can't understand Cooke. He slows everything down. Is Duggan close to a return?

Not even going to discuss what should happen at end of year. Focusing on this championship while we are still in it."
Agree with this post
Finished with a better team than we started with
Team for fourth round Qualifer on the 6-7 of July:
Power
Kyne
SA
Silke
Molloy
Bradshaw
Daly
Flynn
O corran
Mc Daid
Daly
Kelly
Farragher/varley
Comer
Shane

So feckin annoyed with that blow up in the second half and pissed off with our lads getting sucked into bullshi*t with rossies rather than getting on with it
They got a couple of scores in the second half on the D Running straight at flynn, a weakness in his game

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 177 - 16/06/2019 23:07:26    2196132

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "the game of football just gets more boring to watch every year.... id rather watch cricket..."
I wouldn't run down cricket! Very skillful, and exciting when trying to chase down a big lead.
Over 1 billion people worldwide watched India v Pakistan today on tv. Even though it was interrupted by rain I bet they thought it exciting!
That's not to argue the point about football getting more boring!!

Mayfair (Galway) - Posts: 39 - 16/06/2019 23:23:42    2196141

Link

I witnessed that from the stand today and it was hugely frustrating to watch such an inept performance from our sideline as Kevin, Brian and their man in the box were clearly frozen, like rabbits in the headlights, watching another collapse in Pearse without making the changes that were so obvious to every footballer on the ditch like me in the stand.
Everyone that knew anything about football could see the changes that needed to happen a good 15-20 mins ahead of our management team! How's that?! They clearly can't motivate or fire lads up and then there's no guts shown on the field, all the courage was shown by Roscommon - who bullied us on our own patch yet again. Lacking in leadership, no restart plan, midfield beaten, best player played out of position to Ros fans delight around us, 3 subs 10-15-20 mins too late. Pathetic and upsetting show in the Galway jersey in the second half, a lot of us have more pride and fight than that and are sick of seeing us playing rubbish lateral, go nowhere football and then rolling over. Man up and Smart up. Thanks for wonderful service KW and, in fairness, great work done to lift us from the doldrums of a few years ago but 'the system' is already tired and has been found out, and will no longer work. A so-called system is not a system if it results in 2 points in 38 minutes on your home ground with a strong breeze at your back - wake up! Our talent is being completely under-utilised. Massive change needed.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 74 - 16/06/2019 23:40:40    2196145

Link

Galway is an incredible GAA county. We got one over ye today. The last four finals and we've shared them 2 :2. With players to come back I wouldn't be surprised to see ye back in the super 8s and taking a few scalps. Don't understand all the criticism of Walsh on this thread. The players who shined in the first half of this game have to take blame for a shambolic second half performance. Walsh can't be blamed for that imo.

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 894 - 17/06/2019 00:16:38    2196150

Link

One of the worst aspects of 'our system' is that the squads footballing skillset seems to be going to pot with it. All this slow buildup, endless handpassing, and easy lazy low tempo offloading by hand or foot is very low tariff stuff, in terms of the basic skills of football, and in terms of winning 50/50 ball & contested possession. The skill level in Galway's performance today was very low.

Flynn was under a lot pressure perhaps, with lads like Comer, Conroy, Duggan unavailable. It was vital that he'd deliver in midfield, and it just wasn't his day, which left us fairly rudderless for go forward momentum in the second half.

It's something we've said on here continually, but for a team with 'a defensive system', we are ridiculously easy to score on a lot of the time. We have some poor players on defense that need to be replaced. Our tackling is frequently pathetic. Ros walked a couple of balls though our 'blanket' all the way to the D in that second half, and kicked them over the bar with minimal duress. Funny old 'blanket' that. Then on other occasions, we wind up hopelessly short of defensive numbers, despite seeming to have only 1or2 players up the pitch most of the time. This was most evident on the Ros goal, where we only had 2on2 inside, when Ros won a breaking ball off their own kickout. It wasn't even turnover possession, and yet we wound up in a panicky 2on2, and coughed up the key score of the game.

We're paying a heavy price for our div1 status currently, if the style of football we played today is the only way that we can maintain that status.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2278 - 17/06/2019 00:42:25    2196158

Link

Replying To GalwayAlways:  ""A new low for Galway football". You all only have short term memory. This is gonna get a lot of downvotes but Before Kevin Walsh Galway had no direction and structure, Strangling in Division 2. We'd be happy to even make a Connacht final. We were in an All Ireland semi final last year. Thanks the difference, the system works. We have countless of injuries and Roscommon were fully healthy. The football is not glamorous but it gets results. The lads couldn't match Roscommons intensity. The system just didn't work today.
Trust the process. Well deserved Roscommon."
Trust the process....????
The system just didn't work today....????

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 17/06/2019 07:53:46    2196181

Link

Usually I'm one of the most optimistic fans but after yesterday I'm still speechless absolutely shambolic second half performance, I think I was hearing things last night when Marty said on the Sunday game that Power was dropped for Lavelle for a better kickout option ffs it's mind boggling

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 29 - 17/06/2019 08:29:54    2196188

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Our tackling is so soft. It's of the 'stick the hand in' variety with no real physicality. On a day when the ball is like a bar of soap, it's much easier for a defender to overturn the ball, yet they broke so-called tackles with ease in the second half. Meanwhile, we got dispossessed regularly. The amount of stupid fouls we gave away also highlights poor tackling technique or simply a lack of real effort."
Correct, Id even say it was worse than that yesterday. In the second half I would have loved to have even seen the meek hand in to try and get the ball but it was more of 'seen' to attempt to get a hand in without even laying a finger on the man or ball!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 579 - 17/06/2019 08:39:44    2196194

Link

What is so frustrating is when we pressed the Rossies between minute 5-15 and 30-half time we looked really classy. When we sit off we look rubbish.

The other thing to point out is Roscommon are actually more negative than us.....just better at it!

Team for qualifiers
Power
Kyne
SA
Kerin
Silke
Daly
Molloy
Flynn
Duggan (if fit)
Kelly/Daly/Heaney
Conroy (if fit) I know he has been out for a while but we have to try something different
McDaid
Burke
Comer (if fit)
Walsh

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 17/06/2019 08:41:41    2196196

Link

Flynn was carrying an injury into the game hence the introduction of Peter cook to try and help out at midfield.the rossies pushed up on galway in the second half and we didnt seem to be able to respond.a disappointing day but still two games away from the super 8s.one thing of note mayo had 19 wides against the rossies we didnt create anything near that in chances.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 149 - 17/06/2019 09:20:17    2196224

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Flynn was carrying an injury into the game hence the introduction of Peter cook to try and help out at midfield.the rossies pushed up on galway in the second half and we didnt seem to be able to respond.a disappointing day but still two games away from the super 8s.one thing of note mayo had 19 wides against the rossies we didnt create anything near that in chances."
2 games?

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 17/06/2019 09:34:24    2196238

Link

Every game Galway lose and the narrative that "Kevin Walsh has to go" appears with vengeance. He can't even get the luxury of seeing out the qualifier on the 6th July, he has to go now!

We've had far worse days than yesterday. I'd be happy to hazard a guess and say 10 years from now, this game won't even breach a top 10 of worst defeats.

The team selected yesterday was fine. After all, they were leading by five at half-time. I think we are all at a loss to explain why it collapsed so spectacularly. In my humble opinion, there is a sharp decline to the intensity and hunger we brought to our defending last year. Initially, some of us put these ineffective displays down to the training programme, that Galway were building towards playing their best football in July and August and not early on in the year etc. etc.

That argument didn't hold up yesterday in 2nd half. Credit to the Rossies, they came out all guns blazing for the 2nd half. I wasn't surprised but surely we could have seen that coming? A number of their scores were preventable imo, especially the goal itself. I have no issue with our tactics as long as we applying ourselves fully to them and it was clearly evident we weren't. Half-hearted tackles while Roscommon strolled through our defence.

There was no leadership on the field of play, which was extremely disappointing. And while acknowledging that, Walsh should've made changes immediately. Many of us noted the strength in depth before the game and we didn't use that at all yesterday.

Three weeks until the qualifiers come around. There'll be changes, personnel wise for sure, maybe tactically, but not managerial. Not for a few months at the very least.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 17/06/2019 09:53:55    2196263

Link

Very good first half performance against the wind and in poor conditions. Some good foot passing into full forward line and running off shoulder was good at times. Kicked come lovely points. Roscommon had few chances. Up by 5 points at half time. Everyone relatively satisfied.
Why the hell would you go back into your shell and let Roscommon come at you playing with a strong wind? I have played in Pearse and far easier play into town goal. Why not leave Walsh, Daly, Burke and O Laoi in our half of the field and attack Roscommon. Unfortunately it is in embedded in the Galway's players mind to drift back, defend and play slow lethargic football.
Absolutely no leaders when we needed them.
For Gods sake Kevin will you play Power in goal and Molloy half back. My team for qualifiers and let them express themselves (not sure how far Comer is off).
Power, Silke, Sean Andy, Kerin, Molloy, Bradshaw, Daly, Flynn, Fiontain, Kelly, Daly, Brannigan, Burke, Comer, Walsh
Subs: Lavelle, Kyne, Wynne, O Donnell, Conroy, Duggan, Heaney, Varley, Farragher, O Laoi, Cooke

It's not a bad panel on paper but something seriously wrong somewhere.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 84 - 17/06/2019 09:59:06    2196267

Link

Replying To Ninnallik:  "Usually I'm one of the most optimistic fans but after yesterday I'm still speechless absolutely shambolic second half performance, I think I was hearing things last night when Marty said on the Sunday game that Power was dropped for Lavelle for a better kickout option ffs it's mind boggling"
Mind boggling is putting it mildly.
To claim that Lavelle has a better kick out than Power is insanity.
I'm hearing that Power has walked and if that's true he's 100% right.
Why was Paul Conroy not on the bench??
Heard from players that he's going well in training.
I suppose if he had been on the bench we'd have seen him somewhere around the 70 minute mark.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 17/06/2019 10:18:02    2196281

Link

Replying To moros:  "Galway is an incredible GAA county. We got one over ye today. The last four finals and we've shared them 2 :2. With players to come back I wouldn't be surprised to see ye back in the super 8s and taking a few scalps. Don't understand all the criticism of Walsh on this thread. The players who shined in the first half of this game have to take blame for a shambolic second half performance. Walsh can't be blamed for that imo."
I'm not calling for his head and think its ridiculous to say we need to change manager when we are still in the championship. Yes the players let themselves down massively in the second half but this is not a rare occurence. Yet the mindset of the team is never really looked at. if they follow this up with a good performance in the next game this game will be a distant memory until it happens again. Terrible second half and I just cant understand the delay in the introduction of subs. Why leave lads on the field for 25 + mins when they clearly arent performing. We have an excellent bench why not use them. Even if they the subs came on and didn't perform at least give it a try when the starting team was struggling. Last year Walsh took our best player off in an all ireland quarter final with 15 + mins left in the game because he wasnt playing well, we need more of that.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 878 - 17/06/2019 10:56:36    2196309

Link

Where do you begin? That second half was shocking. To hear Kevin spouting this rubbish after the game we will sit down and analysis it on Tuesday night.... it was plainly obvious, he was beaten by a better field marshall. All could be forgiven if it was the first time but you then think back to Omagh, same rubbish, same meltdown, 7 up at halftime and lost by 9. It looks like he has chains on the players "you will not dare leave the game plan" With 5 up at half time he should have gone for the game. This negative rubbish has to stop. His decision making is seriously questionable. His days are numbered, Corofin will be the must worried this morning as Pat Kearney will surely be ringing Kevin O'Brien.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 327 - 17/06/2019 11:02:12    2196313

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I'm not calling for his head and think its ridiculous to say we need to change manager when we are still in the championship. Yes the players let themselves down massively in the second half but this is not a rare occurence. Yet the mindset of the team is never really looked at. if they follow this up with a good performance in the next game this game will be a distant memory until it happens again. Terrible second half and I just cant understand the delay in the introduction of subs. Why leave lads on the field for 25 + mins when they clearly arent performing. We have an excellent bench why not use them. Even if they the subs came on and didn't perform at least give it a try when the starting team was struggling. Last year Walsh took our best player off in an all ireland quarter final with 15 + mins left in the game because he wasnt playing well, we need more of that."
That would be my main issue with yesterday. Changes needed to be made very early on and they weren't. We can argue about the actual personnel brought in separately but the timing was way off.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 17/06/2019 11:13:31    2196322

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Every game Galway lose and the narrative that "Kevin Walsh has to go" appears with vengeance. He can't even get the luxury of seeing out the qualifier on the 6th July, he has to go now!

We've had far worse days than yesterday. I'd be happy to hazard a guess and say 10 years from now, this game won't even breach a top 10 of worst defeats.

The team selected yesterday was fine. After all, they were leading by five at half-time. I think we are all at a loss to explain why it collapsed so spectacularly. In my humble opinion, there is a sharp decline to the intensity and hunger we brought to our defending last year. Initially, some of us put these ineffective displays down to the training programme, that Galway were building towards playing their best football in July and August and not early on in the year etc. etc.

That argument didn't hold up yesterday in 2nd half. Credit to the Rossies, they came out all guns blazing for the 2nd half. I wasn't surprised but surely we could have seen that coming? A number of their scores were preventable imo, especially the goal itself. I have no issue with our tactics as long as we applying ourselves fully to them and it was clearly evident we weren't. Half-hearted tackles while Roscommon strolled through our defence.

There was no leadership on the field of play, which was extremely disappointing. And while acknowledging that, Walsh should've made changes immediately. Many of us noted the strength in depth before the game and we didn't use that at all yesterday.

Three weeks until the qualifiers come around. There'll be changes, personnel wise for sure, maybe tactically, but not managerial. Not for a few months at the very least."
Fallenstar, In March of this year we played Tyrone, up by double scores at half time 1:11 to 0:7, total collapse in second half, outscored 3:8 to 0:3 ( 2 points from play). Same start yesterday, same outcome yesterday. You need leaders when the chips are down and we saw none yesterday. It is bewildering when one looks up at a subs bench and see Kelly, Molloy, McDaid, Farragher, Brannigan, Power, all natural and able footballers. Meanwhile Jim Gavin puts his trust in Muchan, O'Callaghan, Howard, Gavin to deliver for him.

hashtag2017 (Galway) - Posts: 15 - 17/06/2019 11:13:35    2196323

Link