Galway Forum

Sligo V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think another type of player Galway are missing at the moment is a playmaker i.e. a player that can get on the ball and offer leadership when things start to go wrong setting up moves for their team as well as taking the odd score themselves as for instance Ciaran Kilkenny does for Dublin or Gary Sice does for Corofin. I suppose the closest we have to that type of player is Shane Walsh but he is also expected to make long solo runs, score from play , frees etc so it is difficult for one player alone to take on all those roles.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 23/05/2019 11:40:48    2186828

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I think another type of player Galway are missing at the moment is a playmaker i.e. a player that can get on the ball and offer leadership when things start to go wrong setting up moves for their team as well as taking the odd score themselves as for instance Ciaran Kilkenny does for Dublin or Gary Sice does for Corofin. I suppose the closest we have to that type of player is Shane Walsh but he is also expected to make long solo runs, score from play , frees etc so it is difficult for one player alone to take on all those roles."
Perhaps in time young OLaoi will take on this role.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 23/05/2019 12:37:24    2186856

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "But in your opinion, what would be our strongest starting 15 for final?"
Lavelle
Kerin
SA
Silke
Molloy
Bradshaw
J.Daly
Flynn
O'Curraoin
M.Daly
Walsh
Heaney
Burke
Comer
O'Laoi

Taking into account the current injuries (with Comer's selection more hope than expectation). Overall I don't expect that 15 to be selected but with the options in reserve, I'd like to think I would be happy enough with any potential starting 15 come 16th June

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 23/05/2019 12:45:09    2186859

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "The 1990s were a very different time in terms of how intercounty GAA teams were run both from a S&C standpoint and tactically."
You make a very valid point in relation to S&C and tactics. The game has moved on but you're still missing my point. Fallon played rugby with connacht in 97/98. He wasn't even playing for his club Tuam Stars during that time much less training for the county. He wasn't allowed to play gaelic football at all due to his contract with connacht.

Galway lost a league quarter final to offaly in April of 98. Fallon hadn't even kicked a gaelic football in the previous 12 months. In May of 98, Fallon lined out at 11 against Mayo in Castlebar. Galway won and the rest is history. I'm sure all the players and O Mahony were delighted to have him back. The supporters definitely were as he was the missing piece of the jig saw.

My point is if Shane Walsh or Damien Comer for argument sake were playing rugby over the winter and missed the entire league campaign this year because of it, would people object if the Galway management team persauded them to play for galway again this year. I don't think they would.

The reason for that is that most people realise we'd have no chance of winning a CF much less an All Ireland without them. But some posters on here would have a problem with it. You have to be flexible and keep the door open. That's all I am saying.

By the way, Mannion and Fallon were naturally fit guys and very strong men. Imo, they would be a match for any modern GAA player. They didn't
need the gym. Mannion's Gym was his farming. Because of his physical job, he was miles ahead of most players from a stamina and [email protected] point of view. Fallon was a complete athlete and brilliant player. Naturally very strong also.

If you telling me that the Fallon or Mannion of 98 wouldnt survive in todays game. Then I don't buy that for a second as they were exceptions to the rule. They'd thrive in the game if they were around today.

Both of them were hard men as was Kevin Walsh as a player. Both of them were good rugby players also. They were ahead of their time in relation to [email protected] They'd walk onto the current Galway side. I think most people would agree with that.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 23/05/2019 13:32:33    2186875

Link

That's very valid reversepass. All supporters want to see is the best players on the field. Not these daft arguments about 'proving themselves' in the FBD & NHL. Some posters on here seem to be quite content to stock the Galway squad with the first 30 eligible players who are available to 'put it in' 24/7, 365 days a year, at the expense of arguably superior players who are not in a position to commit to Galway as fully all year round.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 23/05/2019 16:05:36    2186938

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "That's very valid reversepass. All supporters want to see is the best players on the field. Not these daft arguments about 'proving themselves' in the FBD & NHL. Some posters on here seem to be quite content to stock the Galway squad with the first 30 eligible players who are available to 'put it in' 24/7, 365 days a year, at the expense of arguably superior players who are not in a position to commit to Galway as fully all year round."
If Galway were knocked out of hurling and Kevin deemed Daithi to be good enough to start ,Would people have an issue with it the fact that he came straight into the team. I personally wouldn't.
By the way this isn't a debate on whether he's good enough or not as I'm saying if Kevin deemed him good enough

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 342 - 23/05/2019 16:24:48    2186941

Link

If there's a Ja Fallon Doppleganger out there who could be launched into Championship football, let him come forth.

Call off the search, there isn't.

Physcial Demands at Intercounty level are severe. Tomas Mannion wasn't expected to get up the field, Ja Fallon was training to secure a professional contract with Connacht. The suggestion that a player can come in from the cold and be up to the pace is a bit bananas. Intercounty Football is a different beast to club. Lundy has been standout for Corofin for years, apart from one fleeting glimpses one summer never looked the part at county level.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 23/05/2019 16:30:12    2186942

Link

Would Jim McGuinness, James Horan, or Jim Gavin bring a lad in to the panel in June if he had been playing rugby or soccer all winter and had not been part of the set up?

Probably not lets be honest.

The 1990s were a different era with totally different physical and mental demands to today. Take a look at our win against Kildare in 1998 on youtube if you haven't seen it lately it is like a different sport.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 23/05/2019 16:48:06    2186947

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "If there's a Ja Fallon Doppleganger out there who could be launched into Championship football, let him come forth.

Call off the search, there isn't.

Physcial Demands at Intercounty level are severe. Tomas Mannion wasn't expected to get up the field, Ja Fallon was training to secure a professional contract with Connacht. The suggestion that a player can come in from the cold and be up to the pace is a bit bananas. Intercounty Football is a different beast to club. Lundy has been standout for Corofin for years, apart from one fleeting glimpses one summer never looked the part at county level."
Lundy might have made it if he didn't go to America.Lost alot of form after emigrating and took him a while to even regain form at Corofin who could afford to be a bit more patient than inter county setup can

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 342 - 23/05/2019 18:02:06    2186963

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Kevin walsh had trouble with his knees and you are correct about that. When o Mahony took over in the winter of 97, he knew that if he was going to win the all ireland, he would need a fit Kevin walsh. He transformed him as a player. He definitely lost weight (about a stone and half) when o Mahony took over and that made him an even better player. He didn't train as hard due to his knee problems.

O Mahony's priority was to ensure he got his best 15 out on the pitch. He was flexible in relation to training and clearly gave Kevin a pass due to his knee problems. Alot of posters including yourself talk about players will only be picked or considered for selection if they train and play during the league and that they can't expect to waltz into the starting 15 for championship when they are not training with the county. Corofin players included.

That was never the case under O Mahony. For example, Ja Fallon played rugby for connacht in 97/98. I remember attending a league quarter final between Galway and offaly around April 1997. Galway were beaten.

Fallon did not play that game and indeed had not played or trained with Galway at all in that league campaign. O Mahony didn't care about that but he knew if we were to beat mayo in May of 98, then he needed Fallon on the pitch.

Fallon gave up the rugby and lined out at 11 against Mayo approx 5 weeks later. As you know we beat mayo that year and went on to win the all ireland. Fallon had a brilliant campaign and was named footballer of the year in 1998. That's not rewriting history as you say. That's the truth.

He also gave Tomas Mannion concessions due to his work commitments. He didn't train religiously either during league campaigns due to farming obligations. He missed the entire 2000 championship but returned for the 2001 campaign.

O Mahony allowed some of his top players like Kevin Walsh, Tomas Mannion and Ja Fallon a little flexibility when it came to training or availability. That's why we won 2 all Ireland's in that period. We certainly wouldn't have won any of those all Ireland's if o Mahony stuck to your theory because Walsh, Fallon or Mannion wouldn't have been on the pitch."
KW makes allowances for Ian burke and Jonny Duane working outside of galway. I also think he'd make allowances for any player who had family issues/fitness issues if they could perform on game day. Hes not going to make any allowances for people who dont have these issues - why would he make allowances for farragher for no reason. Just to be clear I think Farragher is a great player I have zero issue with him starting . I also have zero issue with him being on the bench. But see no reason for him to get any special treatment and I'm sure he wouldn't want it

I NEVER said players could not be considered to start during championship if they didn't play during the league. You are lying now to make your point. I said corofin players were at a disadvantage as they weren't available during a lot of the league and had less chance to impress but players like burke and silke showed it can be done.

It's great you defend corofin players.but dont disrespect the others no need for it

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1005 - 23/05/2019 18:02:52    2186964

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "That's very valid reversepass. All supporters want to see is the best players on the field. Not these daft arguments about 'proving themselves' in the FBD & NHL. Some posters on here seem to be quite content to stock the Galway squad with the first 30 eligible players who are available to 'put it in' 24/7, 365 days a year, at the expense of arguably superior players who are not in a position to commit to Galway as fully all year round."
That's correct Pope. You're spot on as usual . Its all about flexibility and keeping the door open for players who for various reasons can't committ at the start of each year. Dublin certainly keep the door open. Even at this late stage, Connolly would be welcomed back into their panel after a 2 year absence. Its hard to imagine that happening in Galway as in the eyes of some posters, he'd have to "prove himself" in training but that wouldn't be possible now as he hasn't trained with the panel since January.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 24/05/2019 11:00:48    2187072

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "That's correct Pope. You're spot on as usual . Its all about flexibility and keeping the door open for players who for various reasons can't committ at the start of each year. Dublin certainly keep the door open. Even at this late stage, Connolly would be welcomed back into their panel after a 2 year absence. Its hard to imagine that happening in Galway as in the eyes of some posters, he'd have to "prove himself" in training but that wouldn't be possible now as he hasn't trained with the panel since January."
You might want to look up Jim Gavins recent comments on Rory O'Carroll...

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 24/05/2019 11:41:23    2187077

Link

There is no evidence Diarmuid Connolly would be welcomed back into the Dublin panel. None.

A Jim Gavin "The door is always open to all players playing club football who qualify for Dublin" is Jim Gavin being Jim Gavin, straight batting everything to avoid any hint of controversy or negativity.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 24/05/2019 11:47:04    2187081

Link

If you want to talk about Ja Fallon and all the 1998 players, set up another thread and reminisce about the good old days.
Get A Year Till Sunday on DVD.
Always going back to past players is getting a small bit embarrassing now. Let's talk about the here and the now.
Don't see Dublin talking about having Brian Mullins in midfield again or Kerry talking about Jack O Shea CONSTANTLY.
As someone has pointed out , inter county football is a different ball game now.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 24/05/2019 12:29:48    2187096

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "KW makes allowances for Ian burke and Jonny Duane working outside of galway. I also think he'd make allowances for any player who had family issues/fitness issues if they could perform on game day. Hes not going to make any allowances for people who dont have these issues - why would he make allowances for farragher for no reason. Just to be clear I think Farragher is a great player I have zero issue with him starting . I also have zero issue with him being on the bench. But see no reason for him to get any special treatment and I'm sure he wouldn't want it

I NEVER said players could not be considered to start during championship if they didn't play during the league. You are lying now to make your point. I said corofin players were at a disadvantage as they weren't available during a lot of the league and had less chance to impress but players like burke and silke showed it can be done.

It's great you defend corofin players.but dont disrespect the others no need for it"
When Tommy K said farragher would be the first name on his team sheet, you tried to ridicule him in your post. That was disrespectful. You knew exactly what he meant. I came to his defence and explained what I thought he meant.

I have called for the inclusion of the corofin lads in my posts. I'm not ashamed to say that. Thankfully Kevin Walsh can see that these lads are talented players also and has called them into the squad. That can only be a good thing. So let's get behind the team and management. I have no doubt he does make allowances. He is a good manager and he has turned around our fortunes.

Your comment about me being disrespectful to other players is unfair. After the last game, I said a few players up front had quiet days by their normal standards. I also said that the players in question were all good players in their own right but that I'd start farragher the next day. That's all I said. If that's disrespectful then we have gone PC mad.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 24/05/2019 16:22:31    2187150

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "That's sound. At the end of the day we can agree that farragher is a good option. He's accurate and is a top class performer. If he gets more game time that will become obvious to everyone. Cummins is also a good player and O laoi has been a very good addition to the squad.

Heaney is also a good player but I think he's a better wing back than half forward. They'll just have to up their games if they start. We all know they can play better. Its a strong panel. In relation to mayo, they parked the bus last year and you are right when you say that they did press high in the league game this year in castlebar. However they got hit on the break and exposed at the back for lack of pace. Shane walsh in particular gave Keegan and Boyle a torrid time. I think horan will have seen that so it's unlikely he'll push up as much and leave themselves as vulnerable at the back again. That's why I think, he'll have to set them up in a more defensive manner again.

Having said all that, the rossies could turn mayo over. Its not going to be a walk in the park for mayo next Saturday. They won the league and that's a big lift for them but the rossies are a physically stronger side under Cunningham and have quality forwards who will punish them. All the pressure is on mayo so it wouldn't shock me if they turned mayo over."
Don't think I was too far off the mark sammondliamsoon

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 26/05/2019 01:06:20    2187463

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Don't think I was too far off the mark sammondliamsoon"
Mayo would of been my preferred option. It is what it is. Hopefully we can create a game plan to get the better of Roscommon.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 441 - 26/05/2019 12:13:35    2187567

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Don't think I was too far off the mark sammondliamsoon"
Well called..Ros have the capability to play out of their skins on occasion - remember '01 in Tuam. Physically, they appear very powerful and, will no doubt try to bring this to bear in C.F. I also notice they seem to adapt to wet/windy conditions better than most Connaught opposition - so here's hoping for dry conditions in Salthill. Still, forewarned is forearmed.. and think we'll win narrowally enough.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 26/05/2019 13:35:15    2187598

Link

Just hoping the super partnership of Flynn and O' Curraoin can continue in midfield. I think F O C might have done his H String... Midfield will be vital. Some forwards a bit weak.. No Comer is a Disaster.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 26/05/2019 14:23:47    2187616

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Just hoping the super partnership of Flynn and O' Curraoin can continue in midfield. I think F O C might have done his H String... Midfield will be vital. Some forwards a bit weak.. No Comer is a Disaster."
Will comer defo be out for CF or is there a chance he might make the bench even. Rossies will be a tough nut to crack. Still it should be a great final

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 26/05/2019 17:34:56    2187693

Link